Angel Reese in the portal | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Angel Reese in the portal

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Ok, I am surprised this aspect I am about to
Post was missed by everyone that is posting on this thread:
Angel Reese was coached by Chloe Pavlich, the former UM Terp AND UConn Grad Assistant. That is why both UM and UConn were among her final choices. Geno certainly was engaged in the recruitment and had interest so Angel Certainly knows the gig. Chloe is now at Baylor so don’t be surprised if they have already started following her on Soc Media.

Angel plays with passion and certainly would fit into The UConn offensive system as a high post who can drive past the defender.

She would be my #1 choice of all the portal entries thus far (as of 4/6 at 10:30 AM) knowing that can change any minute!

sun

Reaction Score
I have no doubt that Geno will try to recruit Angel Reese.
However in an interview published March 8, 2022, she stated about her past recruitment by Maryland,
"My other top schools were South Carolina, Tennessee, USC, and Syracuse."

We can only hope that her preferences have changed due to current developments.
She has a strong desire to win a NC.
I hope that she isn't leaning toward Tennessee.

One of her strong points is that she could help teach our younger recruits how to play by example.

Reaction Score
At the end of the transfer season the portal motto may be “abandon all hope ye who entered here.”
...or put up a Warning message on way in. :rolleyes:

1649256328168.png

Reaction Score
I've been looking for statistics, on the women's side, of what percentage of players in the portal don't find a school to enter into. Can anyone provide a link or a reference ?
I thought I heard a quote from Geno saying approximately a third that enter will not find a home....I may be wrong though.
Came across this other thread, about Geno and Chiristyn where post/reply #11 there's a short video Geno talking about it.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Not shocked. I predicted this the moment she signed with Frese. I said she'd leave after her sophomore year, and here we are. I implied so again yesterday when Owusu left. Now, in all fairness, I said her reason for leaving would be "coach wanted to change my game", but in reality, her reason could be "coach stinks and I want to be with a team that has a chance at winning". However, she always said she wanted to be on the team that beats UConn. Nevertheless, we're still in the same space.

Reaction Score

If the both of them transfer to SC the day after entering the portal, there will be accusations of tampering & soliciting players while they are at another university. There must be strict rules & regulations enforced ASAP!

Reaction Score
Ok, I am surprised this aspect I am about to
Post was missed by everyone that is posting on this thread:
Angel Reese was coached by Chloe Pavlich, the former UM Terp AND UConn Grad Assistant. That is why both UM and UConn were among her final choices. Geno certainly was engaged in the recruitment and had interest so Angel Certainly knows the gig. Chloe is now at Baylor so don’t be surprised if they have already started following her on Soc Media.

Angel plays with passion and certainly would fit into The UConn offensive system as a high post who can drive past the defender.

She would be my #1 choice of all the portal entries thus far (as of 4/6 at 10:30 AM) knowing that can change any minute!
I for one was not aware but Pavlich connection is an interesting one. The idea of Baylor never came to mind to me, however it does make sense on paper to an extent.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The transfer portal giveth and the transfer portal taketh away. You have to wonder how the transfer of Lavender Briggs from FL to MD back in January affected both Owusu & Reese.

Briggs is a big guard and outstanding scorer who can handle the ball. She has a very similar skill set to Owusu and similarly could eat into Reese’s minutes. While I don’t know if Briggs transfer to MD impacted their decision to leave MD, it certainly sent a message.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The rich will get richer...but I hope these top programs maintain some sense of commitment to kids they recruit out of high school. It used to be if you were an all-american freshman, you could spend a year in a program and "provide immediate help" the next year. Now if you do not start year one you may get recruited over by an upper class women from another program, not to mention out of high school.
That is very true. Geno could recruit a "proven" post player from the portal over Amari and Piath. I would not like to see that. If they didn't choose UConn the first time around, why now? I have always believed that you promote from within first. Then, if you still have positions that need to be filled you hire or promote from outside. Nothing kills morale faster than promoting or hiring outside when there are people that have been waiting to promote right in front of you.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
As a fan I hate to see a player transfer but I understand why they do. According to the US Department of Education 25% of students enrolled in a four year school will transfer sometime and yet some on here suggest that athletes should not have the same privilege. There are many reasons students transfer and I would think being a division 1 athlete exposes one to more reasons to transfer. The NCAA only allows one transfer without sitting out so I don’t see any athletes shopping their talents from year to year. Sure it could lead to some super teams but in reality I do not see that happening often if at all. If an athlete is unhappy with their situation I am all for them being allowed to pursue “greener pastures” just as any other student can.
The unstated difference being, of course, that most students pay for their own tuition, albeit discounted. Scholarship athletes do not. Should schools who are investing significantly in their scholarship athletes have some degree of stability/certainty? Non-athletes to transfer bears the cost of it. If they lose credits, as can often be the case particularly for upper classmen transfers, they are going to pay for making them up. That economic constraint does not apply to scholarship athletes. So analogizing the scholarship in nonscholarship athlete isn’t really a perfect comparison.

Now, that being said, I’ve long thought that once a student graduates they have fulfilled their commitment to the University and should be able to go to any institution they’d like for graduate work. That, plus the one time transfer rule that is already in place, would allow student athletes the opportunity to move twice during their athletic career without having to sit out a year. That seems reasonable to me

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not shocked. I predicted this the moment she signed with Frese. I said she'd leave after her sophomore year, and here we are. I implied so again yesterday when Owusu left. Now, in all fairness, I said her reason for leaving would be "coach wanted to change my game", but in reality, her reason could be "coach stinks and I want to be with a team that has a chance at winning". However, she always said she wanted to be on the team that beats UConn. Nevertheless, we're still in the same space.
I'm not sure Brenda is getting a fair shake in this situation. If you look at the notable players that have left the MD WBB program the track record has not been to move to a better basketball situation and the games were not drastically different at their new stop.
Regardless of where they end up Reese is going to be a post player and Owosu is going to be a point guard. Austin was a F/PF for Ole Miss, Lexie Brown was a PG for Duke and Statia was a post player at Georgia and and Mikesell was a shot jacker for both Oregon and tOSU. These are the same roles they would have played if they stayed at Maryland. I chalk it up to kids and players trying to be something they cannot be at the collegiate level. If we want to blame Brenda for anything it should be not saying no earlier. A'ja Wilson entered SC telling people she was a guard. Dawn used the first few game of the season to demonstrate to her that she was not a guard.

Reaction Score
Agree we could use more drives. However, it's hard to drive to the basket when the floor is not spread out and there are too many people in the lane.

I said "threat". You don't necessarily have to shoot the 3s but the threat needs to be there so defenders get out of the lane to defend out to the perimeter. Then that allows dribble drives and post ups and drives and kick outs.
We need more than the threat of the three, need to make more! For much of the tourney that part of our game was in another state. Was it because of playing against better defense? Lack of solid picks? Seemed like the black and white strips called a lot of moving picks against us but not against them. All this equals turnovers and early trips to the bench by our bigs. Hope the players and coaches are able to fix this.
Other than our sturdy defense, there didn't seem to be one go to effective offense. In many games we didn't establish our offense early, we were sloppy in our set-up resulting in turnovers and no shots.

CL82

Reaction Score
Don't forget this is also the same account that said Kamilla Cardoso was headed to UConn last year, amongst other crystal ball fumblings.
Would’ve been a huge get.

CL82

Reaction Score

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If the both of them transfer to SC the day after entering the portal, there will be accusations of tampering & soliciting players while they are at another university. There must be strict rules & regulations enforced ASAP!
There was no tampering & these rules are already in place. A player cannot be contacted until they are officially in the portal. Players in the portal have a "do not contact me" option.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
As a fan I hate to see a player transfer but I understand why they do. According to the US Department of Education 25% of students enrolled in a four year school will transfer sometime and yet some on here suggest that athletes should not have the same privilege. There are many reasons students transfer and I would think being a division 1 athlete exposes one to more reasons to transfer. The NCAA only allows one transfer without sitting out so I don’t see any athletes shopping their talents from year to year. Sure it could lead to some super teams but in reality I do not see that happening often if at all. If an athlete is unhappy with their situation I am all for them being allowed to pursue “greener pastures” just as any other student can.
Any roster that starts with Paige and Azzi is “good enough”. Put those two on the court with some decent players and they’ll beat enough teams. Add in Nika, Caroline, Dorka, Aaliyah, Amari, Aubrey and some promising freshmen and you’ve got a really talented team.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
In all seriousness, that may be part of the problem. These kids might have pro aspirations and understand they need to be better at both ends of the court. They may want to be at the level of the UConn/So Carolina/Stanford/NC State/Louisvilles so they can compete for spot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom