Aneesah Morrow list | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Aneesah Morrow list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not surprised she has SC and LSU as her top choices. I always thought she would be a good fit in either of those schools. USC…..no. Of all the other top-ranked programs in the Midwest and East, how did USC sneak in there? She would play but would get very little national exposure and the chances of making the NCAA tournament are slim. But who knows?

Maybe USC WBB head coach Lindsey Gottlieb made her an offer that was hard to not consider. Maybe she wants to play with the incoming #1 ranked recruit in class 2023, and the Gatorade NPOY, Judea "Juju" Watkins.
Sorry to go against you on this one, but USC is the obvious pick here. SC and LSU are just there to give cover. Morrow wants to play in SoCal with a building program. Whatever they accomplish, she'll be the star with JuJu getting second billing for two years. She'll still get all her double-doubles, plus the NIL money and tons of exposure. It's a gamble, of course, since USC hasn't been on anyone's radar before. It's the same gamble JuJu is making.

I'm just reading the tea leaves about what a 20yo is likely to think. She may get this calculation entirely wrong. What she won't get wrong is that she'll be supporting cast at the other places. The only thing that might get her to change her mind is Betts at the crosstown rival. If they aren't competitive in their primary market, that will put a crimp in her glory.

Reaction Score
Sorry to go against you on this one, but USC is the obvious pick here. SC and LSU are just there to give cover. Morrow wants to play in SoCal with a building program. Whatever they accomplish, she'll be the star with JuJu getting second billing for two years. She'll still get all her double-doubles, plus the NIL money and tons of exposure. It's a gamble, of course, since USC hasn't been on anyone's radar before. It's the same gamble JuJu is making.

I'm just reading the tea leaves about what a 20yo is likely to think. She may get this calculation entirely wrong. What she won't get wrong is that she'll be supporting cast at the other places. The only thing that might get her to change her mind is Betts at the crosstown rival. If they aren't competitive in their primary market, that will put a crimp in her glory.
I agree with this completely. USC is the only school on that list that makes sense for Morrow and its very much "one of these things is not like the other" on the list. One thing I'll add is that I don't see Morrow wanting to compete against SEC sized post players. You can get away with banging at her size in the Big East and the Pac 12 but not in the SEC, imo.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

It’s been a long long time since I was 20 years old. I can only guess what Morrow is looking for. Where is the tons of exposure she’s going to get? USC’s games are never on local or regional TV. All of their games are only accessible on the PAC-12 Network, which is not available on DirecTV which is what I have.

The last time I saw USC was at the Galen Center about 6 years ago against UNLV. I won’t be shocked, but I would be surprised if she comes to Troy. :eek: The only place she could go that would shock me is UConn, and we know that’s not going to happen.

They might get a small write up on page 8 of the LA Times’ sports section. I never see any of their game highlights on the local sports news outlets. One of us is right. Time will tell. I was hoping to log on to the yard today and see that she has announced her decision. Tell you what doggie, the loser buys lunch. :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not surprised she has SC and LSU as her top choices. I always thought she would be a good fit in either of those schools. USC…..no. Of all the other top-ranked programs in the Midwest and East, how did USC sneak in there? She would play but would get very little national exposure and the chances of making the NCAA tournament are slim. But who knows?

Maybe USC WBB head coach Lindsey Gottlieb made her an offer that was hard to not consider. Maybe she wants to play with the incoming #1 ranked recruit in class 2023, and the Gatorade NPOY, Judea "Juju" Watkins.
Remember that USC with UCLA are moving to the BIG TEN in another year. So, Ms. Morrow could then have
one year in the Pac 12 and then a senior year in the BIG 10. Nothing shabby about that!,
and quite a way to see the country. THE Big 10 Experience would mean going back to Chicago and playing Northwestern. This
could happen!

Reaction Score
I am leaning towards USC too.

In the other locations, there are other players (Cardozo, Reese) who will reduce Morrow’s rebounding numbers and put-back points. Overall number of shots will also be reduced. However, the odds of winning a championship are higher.

NIL opportunities are probably highest if you are the star on the team and that is less likely at LSU And most likely at USC. If you are a star, your odds of getting selected at the next level are probably also higher.

For many players, it used to be that a championship mattered the most. I certainly don’t know what Morrow’s priorities are. We will all discover soon enough!

Carnac

Reaction Score
Am I missing something?
Her top 3 she announced
LSU….South Carolina and USC!!!
No, you’re not missing anything. Got any ideas on where she’s going? :cool: Your guess is as good as anyone else's.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Remember that USC with UCLA are moving to the BIG TEN in another year. So, Ms. Morrow could then have
one year in the Pac 12 and then a senior year in the BIG 10. Nothing shabby about that!,
and quite a way to see the country. THE Big 10 Experience would mean going back to Chicago and playing Northwestern. This
could happen!
Agreed. The national exposure Bonedog suggested will come AFTER the 23-24 season when they join the BIG 10.

Reaction Score
I think South Carolina makes a lot of sense as well. I think they are a pretty strong brand. Last year they had an nil deal where everybody got 25k. As great as Morrow is, and I'm pretty ignorant about the amount of money and how this nil space works, but a guarantee of 25k without having to do much sounds great. Then basketball wise, although Id hate it for some of the young talent they already have, I do like that it takes a lot of pressure off of Cardoso to be an offensive force. Like if Cardoso averaged more than 14 points a game next year is be genuinely surprised, and I'm a fan. So I could see SC needing scoring. Also I think Morrow can navigate the 3 and 4 but she is probably best at the 4.

Carnac

Reaction Score

No problem Doggie. You've got to call 'em like you see them. ;)

Reaction Score
I work with a lot of Iowa fans in Cedar Rapids and they are convinced the Hawkeyes are getting Morrow, which they can offer a lot, including 14,000+ fans a game.
Iowa does not avarage 14k per game in attendance.

Reaction Score
Agreed. The national exposure Bonedog suggested will come AFTER the 23-24 season when they join the BIG 10.
This is exactly what I was thinking... or more precisely, what I think she will be thinking.

It's hard to get into the mind of a 20yo. As is happens, my job brings me into contact with a lot of folks in precisely this age range, and so I am more familiar than I might otherwise be with the sort of fantastical reveries they are prone to. But even I am often fooled.

As an example, I often urge my students not to pursue an academic career (because I worry that the tenure system is dying), and certainly not in a field that has so few openings in a given year. And despite my best efforts at persuading them of this, I still find myself writing recommendations to academic grad programs on their behalf. And yet I have a recent triumph: one former student is about to graduate from a prestigious law school in Boston! I don't care that it's law school -- it could have been any professional program -- but that it's not academic is what matters. She is now primed to find a well-paying job and begin a career with some modicum of job security. I am content.

Reaction Score
I don't know what she should or will do, but her playing time should be higher at USC, and her championship chances are better at LSU or SC. For the latter reason I hope she goes to USC which I do not see as a championship contender yet, whereas the other two are serious challengers to Uconn.

Reaction Score
This is exactly what I was thinking... or more precisely, what I think she will be thinking.

It's hard to get into the mind of a 20yo. As is happens, my job brings me into contact with a lot of folks in precisely this age range, and so I am more familiar than I might otherwise be with the sort of fantastical reveries they are prone to. But even I am often fooled.

As an example, I often urge my students not to pursue an academic career (because I worry that the tenure system is dying), and certainly not in a field that has so few openings in a given year. And despite my best efforts at persuading them of this, I still find myself writing recommendations to academic grad programs on their behalf. And yet I have a recent triumph: one former student is about to graduate from a prestigious law school in Boston! I don't care that it's law school -- it could have been any professional program -- but that it's not academic is what matters. She is now primed to find a well-paying job and begin a career with some modicum of job security. I am content.
Well done!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
None of Morrow’s final 3 make sense to me. At LSU & SC she’ll play second fiddle to Reese & Cardoso respectively. USC is not and will not be a major basketball power anytime soon. USC = DePaul West?

Iowa made the most sense. The Hawkeyes desperately need a low post threat to replace Czinano and complement Clark. Morrow would have been able to basque in some of the notoriety generated by Clark and the Hawkeye faithful are some of the most rabid fans in WBB.

Oh well, I guess we’ll see where Ms Morrow ends up. Time will tell how it all works out.

Reaction Score
None of Morrow’s final 3 make sense to me. At LSU & SC she’ll play second fiddle to Reese & Cardoso respectively. USC is not and will not be a major basketball power anytime soon. USC = DePaul West?

Iowa made the most sense. The Hawkeyes desperately need a low post threat to replace Czinano and complement Clark. Morrow would have been able to basque in some of the notoriety generated by Clark and the Hawkeye faithful are some of the most rabid fans in WBB.

Oh well, I guess we’ll see where Ms Morrow ends up. Time will tell how it all works out.
not about playing time anymore, it's about Nil. Sad this is where we are

Reaction Score
Morrow going to Southern California would be a good option. They have quite a few option spots so she would start off the bat. Plus, with JuJu Watkins joining the Women of Troy this fall, those two could lay the foundation for the reminisce of USC.

sun

Reaction Score
Each of the programs have a highly ranked super freshmen & Morrow will decide which one that she wants to become best friends with for the next 2 years.
Juju's talent has been compared to Diana Taurasi & Maya Moore.
The personalities of the players on each team will also play a big part of it since they'll be spending so much time together.
That might give Juju & SoCal a recruiting advantage & able to attract other players besides Morrow.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’ve been wondering how much NIL plays into an individual’s decision regarding where to play. Seems to me it’s sorta like free agency in professional sports. Some players want to maximize their earnings. Others want to be able to play for a championship. The two aren’t mutually exclusive. In women’s college basketball there’s a third factor - how do I maximize my future value (ie, professional $$). I’m sure those factors are weighted differently for each individual.
It’ll be interesting to see where Morrow ends up.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Iowa does not avarage 14k per game in attendance.
This year they averaged 11,143 and had 4 home games over 14,000 AND have increased ticket sales for next year based on their success this year. My attendance gues is they will averag 12,000 next year and at least 7 games of 14,000+ This is as passionate a fan base as there is.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’ve been wondering how much NIL plays into an individual’s decision regarding where to play. Seems to me it’s sorta like free agency in professional sports. Some players want to maximize their earnings. Others want to be able to play for a championship. The two aren’t mutually exclusive. In women’s college basketball there’s a third factor - how do I maximize my future value (ie, professional $$). I’m sure those factors are weighted differently for each individual.
It’ll be interesting to see where Morrow ends up.
NIL in WBB is like an alternate universe. Top college basketball players like Paige, Angel Reese & Caitlyn Clark have the potential to make more in 4 years as college basketball players than they’ll make in 10 years as pros.

Reaction Score

I agree with your reasonings on LSU & South Carolina, but USC is definitely on their way to becoming a powerhouse. Cracked the Top 25 last year, beat Stanford and now they’re getting one of the most heralded recruits we’ve seen in some time. They’re also in the biggest NIL market in the country.

If she chooses USC, the trio of her, Rayah Marshall and Juju Watkins can easily lead USC to a Top 25 ranking, possibly Top 10, in my opinion.

Reaction Score
That is why I believe Paige will stay at least 2 years or possibly 3….her COVID year…..Once she regains her form more NIL offers will come.
Please do not forget that no Freshman before her ran the table in POY awards….

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom