Aneesah Morrow list | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Aneesah Morrow list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
DePaul didn't have all that much else going on. I'm just hesitant to think that just because she shot a ton at DePaul, she'll shoot a ton wherever she goes.

I sure wouldn't want her attempting 209 3s and only making 25.4% for ND. If she's willing to play in a team offense concept and operate primarily as an interior scorer, then I'd be all over her.
Good points. After reading some of the comments about Morrow entering the portal, I came away with the impression that most posters don't believe Morrow would be a good fit at UConn. Apparently, Geno agrees.

I think we might be erroneously assuming she wouldn’t be willing to make adjustments to her game to fit in with the team of her choice. I assume she’s transferring because she wants more national exposure and a better chance at winning a championship.

Of course, a firm understanding on both sides will have to be made before she commits and is accepted by her new team of choice. I can see her willing to do whatever the coach needs and asks her to do.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Good points. After reading some of the comments about Morrow entering the portal, I came away with the impression that most posters don't believe Morrow would be a good fit at UConn. Apparently, Geno agrees.

I think we might be erroneously assuming she wouldn’t be willing to make adjustments to her game to fit in with the team of her choice. I assume she’s transferring because she wants more national exposure and a better chance at winning a championship.

Of course, a firm understanding on both sides will have to be made before she commits and is accepted by her new team of choice. I can see her willing to do whatever the coach needs and asks her to do.
Agree generally, and I agree with the bolded section above, but with the caveat that the 'understanding' part is very important - she isn't going to choose a program that does want from her what she wants to do on the court, whatever that is. At least that will be her understanding, but like any recruiting situation, people aren't necessarily completely honest and/or there can be miscommunications.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Yes. But let's be honest. Were those two teams to play a 5-game series, even a 3-game championship series, South Carolina wins every other game. South Carolina dominated in virtually every stat. They scored well as well.

That game was a fluke. And it was no surprise that Iowa got blown out the very next game by LSU, a team that South Carolina had defeated. The stars aligned for one night. Luck, not the better team.
Fairfield, I hear what you’re saying, but sometimes it’s better for you to be “lucky” than good. If my team wins the NC, I would not be offended if fans/critics thought I was lucky that day or not.

In the biggest game of the year, you’ll gladly take whatever breaks, bounces and tips you get. When the horn sounds, you just hope to have one more point on the scoreboard than your opponent. If you do, nothing else matters. :) You are the champion, and no one can take it from you.

Reaction Score

Based just on her games versus UConn this year, the bolded seems to be the only erroneous assumption. Looked like she had a lot of problems doing whatever her old coach asked her to do in those games.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Although the portal helps kids who are not happy its killing their current team. Coaches who are not expecting top players to transfer are not recruiting players for their position in most cases. When a kid leaves unexpectedly there is a void to fill. Kids want NILs and to contend for a NC. So for them its good. In many cases, not all, that leave their team with an empty feeling. Many coaches can not fill that spot. In UConns case with so. Geno recruits players to fill a position when the player infront of them is a junior giving that player coming in time to learn the system without any pressure. For example Paige entering her senior year with a covid year and a year to recover from her injury and Geno has KK and Ashlynn waiting in the wings. By spacing recruiting as Geno does there is less chance that players will leave. I call it spacing recruiting. Geno and UConn have the advantage of almost every year making the FF so recruits come here anticipating that and hopes for NILs/monies. The portal imo causes problems for coaches and roses for players.
I would be very interested to hear anonymously from some D1 WBB head coaches on their opinion of the portal. How it has helped or hurt their program. How losing 1-2 core players disrupted their plans for next season.

Another poster mentioned how several coaches have been blindsided by unexpected defections by several of their players to the portal that they had planned to have for 2-3 more years. They are left hanging because they did not recruit over them and now it’s too late.

In the players entering the portal thread on the general board, there are teams that lost as many as 6 players. This late in the recruiting year, there’s only two places you can find replacements. The portal and walk-ins when classes resume in the fall.

All of the recruits you were interested in are probably all committed now, and you have few if any options. What do you do? You turn to the portal and pray you can find suitable replacements for the coming season. In some cases, a warm body just to fill out your roster.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Based just on her games versus UConn this year, the bolded seems to be the only erroneous assumption. Looked like she had a lot of problems doing whatever her old coach asked her to do in those games.
That’s the thing. We don’t know what their relationship was or how tenuous it may have become. Was she doing what he asked her to do, or did she turn rogue, and try to do it all herself and thereby alienating her teammates?

How much help was she getting from her teammates? Were they willing and able to help, or had they become numb, and content with standing around and watching her try to score? Those close to her (in her circle) know why she’s leaving, but the average fan will never know.

Players enter the portal for various reasons. I can completely understand why Geno is genuinely interested in why a kid entered the portal in the first place.

Reaction Score
It seems like Morrow has been in the portal for two months. In reality it has only been about two weeks. Two weeks does not appear to be an outrageous length of time to make a decision that may determine your future. Give the young lady a break. She might be taking her time for reasons other than ego or notoriety. If she made the decision in one or two days there would be someone accusing her and her new coach of collusion.

Reaction Score
It seems like Morrow has been in the portal for two months. In reality it has only been about two weeks. Two weeks does not appear to be an outrageous length of time to make a decision that may determine your future. Give the young lady a break. She might be taking her time for reasons other than ego or notoriety. If she made the decision in one or two days there would be someone accusing her and her new coach of collusion.
It’s not the length of time the decision is taking. It’s the updates to media and the weird teaser videos she’s posting. This, and given what we have seen from her on the court, is enough to say she has too many red flags for me to want her on any of the teams I cheer for.

Reaction Score
That’s the thing. We don’t know what their relationship was or how tenuous it may have become. Was she doing what he asked her to do, or did she turn rogue, and try to do it all herself and thereby alienating her teammates?

How much help was she getting from her teammates? Were they willing and able to help, or had they become numb, and content with standing around and watching her try to score? Those close to her (in her circle) know why she’s leaving, but the average fan will never know.

Players enter the portal for various reasons. I can completely understand why Geno is genuinely interested in why a kid entered the portal in the first place.
I mean when you get benched after an argument with your coach you can reasonably conclude the player wasn’t doing what she was being told.

Reaction Score
It’s not the length of time the decision is taking. It’s the updates to media and the weird teaser videos she’s posting. This, and given what we have seen from her on the court, is enough to say she has too many red flags for me to want her on any of the teams I cheer for.
Are you hinting that she may be a "Pre-Madonna?"

Carnac

Reaction Score
Many players in the portal wait until the academic year is over before they make campus visits to schools on their list. By then, most of the players have a pretty good idea of where they want to go. They've been communicating with coaches since entering the portal on a regular basis.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Hoops, I don't think that statement was erroneous. Here's why.....I said that because I assume her new coach will only take her IF she fully understands that she will not be calling the shots there. Things WILL NOT be as they were at DePaul. She's good, but not THAT good. If she wants to go to that particular school and become a member of that program, she'll toe the line like everyone else, do what the coaches ask her to do, and play within the scope, framework, and flow of the offense.

I'm sure that her new coach will make THAT abundantly clear!! If YOU were her new coach, wouldn't you? :eek: When I went on my recruiting trips back in the day, the head coach at every school I visited told me in plain everyday English EXACTLY what they needed from me, and what I was expected to do. In most cases, one of the assistants told me the same thing BEFORE my interview with the head coach.

I have no idea how tenuous her relationship with Doug Bruno became. Her leaving may have been by "mutual" agreement, who knows?
Can you see her dictating her play and behavior to Dawn Staley or Kim Mulkey? That's a rhetorical question. :cool: Have a wonderful day.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I would be very interested to hear anonymously from some D1 WBB head coaches on their opinion of the portal. How it has helped or hurt their program. How losing 1-2 core players disrupted their plans for next season.

Another poster mentioned how several coaches have been blindsided by unexpected defections by several of their players to the portal that they had planned to have for 2-3 more years. They are left hanging because they did not recruit over them and now it’s too late.

In the players entering the portal thread on the general board, there are teams that lost as many as 6 players. This late in the recruiting year, there’s only two places you can find replacements. The portal and walk-ins when classes resume in the fall.

All of the recruits you were interested in are probably all committed now, and you have few if any options. What do you do? You turn to the portal and pray you can find suitable replacements for the coming season. In some cases, a warm body just to fill out your roster.
How about the reverse, though? How about players that sign a commitment to play for a school and then a coach bolts for greener pastures? Both sides should realize that there are no guarantees

Carnac

Reaction Score
How about the reverse, though? How about players that sign a commitment to play for a school and then a coach bolts for greener pastures? Both sides should realize that there are no guarantees
Nan, one issue at a time. :cool:

Carnac

Reaction Score
That happened to me. I was a JC transfer. The coach that recruited me was terminated midway through my first year. I never thought about leaving. Too close to getting my degree, and I was never unhappy being there. I went there to get my degree. Playing ball was just a means to achieve that goal.

Reaction Score
Who is Hawks?

GCJNZOMJ5JAKVEH5D4B2LHSK6U.jpg

Reaction Score
just doesn't seem like the right fit............I'm still thinking South Carolina, LSU, ND or Maryland but what do I know....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom