Andrew Harrison on Kaminsky: "duck* that n****r" | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Andrew Harrison on Kaminsky: "duck* that n****r"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
yeah, everyone would like to think so, but you know for fact that if it had been Kaminsky saying what Harrison had said, the airwaves would have been hot with comments, calling it racism, etc. Let's not be hypocrites, here.

well yea, obviously....the whole "n*gg*r" being used as a derogatory term towards african americans by white people for 150+ years would probably make it a bit worse if Kaminsky said it. There was very clearly nothing remotely racist about what Harrison said, like the poster above, he meant " dude". I guess it could be strange for some of you, but I would bet Harrison says something along those lines 20 times a day (christ, im pretty sure the nba put in a rule that guys couldnt say it because they said it so often and they were "protecting" the fans not the players)-the difference being he's in a dorm or at the gym or in class snickering to someone next to him and not over a hot mic minutes after a final four loss.

This is one of those complete non-stories that will get blown up by the PC police so they can show everyone how strong of a stance they take against "racism, racist culture and racist language". There is no story. Even if the kid didn't apologize and again, what did he apoligize for? Are there people alive in America who heard that and immediately felt for the delicate sensitivity of FK? But he did apologize, almost immediately and even if he only did so because he got caught, at least he shows he's not too stupid to "play the game". And now I'm writing an essay about how stupid this entire issue is because there are people living in american angry that a black kid can get away with accidentally dropping a soft n bomb towards a white kid in front of a hot mic because if the white kid said it he would get in trouble. Hypothetical trouble.

Reaction Score
well yea, obviously....the whole "n*gg*r" being used as a derogatory term towards african americans by white people for 150+ years would probably make it a bit worse if Kaminsky said it. There was very clearly nothing remotely racist about what Harrison said, like the poster above, he meant " dude". I guess it could be strange for some of you, but I would bet Harrison says something along those lines 20 times a day (christ, im pretty sure the nba put in a rule that guys couldnt say it because they said it so often and they were "protecting" the fans not the players)-the difference being he's in a dorm or at the gym or in class snickering to someone next to him and not over a hot mic minutes after a final four loss.

This is one of those complete non-stories that will get blown up by the PC police so they can show everyone how strong of a stance they take against "racism, racist culture and racist language". There is no story. Even if the kid didn't apologize and again, what did he apoligize for? Are there people alive in America who heard that and immediately felt for the delicate sensitivity of FK? But he did apologize, almost immediately and even if he only did so because he got caught, at least he shows he's not too stupid to "play the game". And now I'm writing an essay about how stupid this entire issue is because there are people living in american angry that a black kid can get away with accidentally dropping a soft n bomb towards a white kid in front of a hot mic because if the white kid said it he would get in trouble. Hypothetical trouble.

See, I don't think it's the PC police on this one. I think it's the people who don't like being told what they should and should not say, and are playing gotcha because here it's a black kid saying it about a white kid.

Reaction Score
yeah, everyone would like to think so, but you know for fact that if it had been Kaminsky saying what Harrison had said, the airwaves would have been hot with comments, calling it racism, etc. Let's not be hypocrites, here.
Because if it had been a white guy saying it the word wouldnt be "nigga" id be "" which would mean something completely different. come on man.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
In 2015, people "don't understand" on purpose.

It's not only that it wasn't offensive. The people that 'don't understand' are ignoring that it was a compliment.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
Thankfully it was a black saying this. If it had been a white player, there would have been investigations, protests, and an uproar.
I think that's the point.

Reaction Score
See, I don't think it's the PC police on this one. I think it's the people who don't like being told what they should and should not say, and are playing gotcha because here it's a black kid saying it about a white kid.

yea you're probably right about that one. The vitriol does seem to be flowing from the other side screaming "see, he said it, why can he say it? Why isn't he in trouble" Hearing the word and entirely missing a-the situation context where the kid clearly did not intend to say " that low down black man" and b-the larger context of the word in which is has been perhaps the most derogatory term ever coined specifically for white men to talk about african americans.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The N word usage may well be culturally acceptable to Harrison's peers but it is distracting to rest of us. So let's eliminate that issue by substituting the word "guy" for it. Would anyone be okay with it he had said " guy?"
I would have laughed out loud if he said guy. Is that wrong?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I would have laughed out loud if he said guy. Is that wrong?
No, now that you make me stop and think about it.

Reaction Score
Youre thread title is misleading as he did not say what your saying he said.
Naw. It's a direct quote from the kid. And it set the stage for a pretty intelligent and nuanced conversation about one of the touchier subjects in American society, as the majority of folks here talked much more about context & history than they did about hot takes.

Sorry you don't feel comfortable participating in an honest fashion, but it is what it is.

Reaction Score
yea you're probably right about that one. The vitriol does seem to be flowing from the other side screaming "see, he said it, why can he say it? Why isn't he in trouble" Hearing the word and entirely missing a-the situation context where the kid clearly did not intend to say " that low down black man" and b-the larger context of the word in which is has been perhaps the most derogatory term ever coined specifically for white men to talk about african americans.

I think white people miss the days of freely using the N word without consequence. I think white people get frustrated with AA and want to get a nice passionately said "F@@#ing Ni$%er! off their chest. Sure theyll all deny it but its true. White people (not all of course) hate that they cant use it and AA`s throw it around all the time.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think white people miss the days of freely using the N word without consequence. I think white people get frustrated with AA and want to get a nice passionately said "F@@#ing Ni$%er! off their chest. Sure theyll all deny it but its true. White people (not all of course) hate that they cant use it and AA`s throw it around all the time.

If by not all of course you mean 98% don't want to sure.

Reaction Score
Naw. It's a direct quote from the kid. And it set the stage for a pretty intelligent and nuanced conversation about one of the touchier subjects in American society, as the majority of folks here talked much more about context & history than they did about hot takes.

Sorry you don't feel comfortable participating in an honest fashion, but it is what it is.
How old are you? Are you black or white? Did you grow up in the an inner city or in a middle class area?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
However the context, it doesn't matter, it was an inappropriate time to say it. If he said fkcu that bltch, it would still be an inappropriate time to say it. This isn't the school yard, it's on national television. Save it for the locker room

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
What is written in the thread title is a racial slur. What he said is a slang term that basically means dude.
It doesn't matter, he should've have said it at all. Substitute dude, bro, bltch, whatever, he shouldn't have said it

Reaction Score
It doesn't matter, he should've have said it at all. Substitute dude, bro, bltch, whatever, he shouldn't have said it
Youre right he shouldnt have said it at all. The least offensive part is the last part but yet that is the big story.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
What he shouldnt have said is F#%k that whatever. The least offensive part is the last part but yet that is the big story.
He shouldn't have said anything. And of course it's going to be the big story. Anything that involves race will immediately be plastered all over the media

temery

What?
Reaction Score
However the context, it doesn't matter, it was an inappropriate time to say it. If he said fkcu that bltch, it would still be an inappropriate time to say it. This isn't the school yard, it's on national television. Save it for the locker room

Requiring the players of the losing team to be available to the press is the really inappropriate thing that happened yesterday.

Reaction Score
I think your numbers are a bit too high.
In gross figures, there are lots of racist white dudes, sure. We're a big country.

But even many who do some more subtle racist things, though, don't think of themselves as racists. They may cross the street when they see a black kid, but they wouldn't want to yell the n-word at them. There are gradations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom