Andre makes preseason debut on NBA TV tonight at 7:30 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Andre makes preseason debut on NBA TV tonight at 7:30

Status
Not open for further replies.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
He's one of our own so I'm rooting for him big time. Once a husky, always a husky. Let's go Andre!
Agreed. Really nice guy (possibly too nice). I think everyone wants him to succeed.

Reaction Score
Same could be said for Stromile Swift
Stomile Swift was as athletic, maybe, but not as big. Drummond doesn't need to work on the NBA body type. In that way he is very much like Bynum.

Reaction Score
Okay. I had my doubts. My doubts have now been blown away like a possum taking a face full of 00 buckshot out of a 12 gauge magnum from point blank range.

Dude's stat line was crazy good for a 19 year old in his first (preseason) game:

In 22 minutes, 75% from field for 12 points, 7 boards, 2 steals, 2 blocked shots, 2 top ten plays on ESPN.

Quick per 40 numbers: 22 pts, 13 boards, 4 steals, 4 blocks, 4 top ten plays on ESPN (;)) .

This question has been answered: "Is Drummond going to be good in the NBA?"

Folks. The only question left is how good will he be? Maybe, just maybe, the question should be how great will he be?

Frankly, I'm super excited for the kid, and get this shocker - I'm actually going to tune in to some Detroit games this year to watch him play. Detroit must be warm-in-the pants happy about Drummond, because the guy is going to sell tickets and shirts and silly arm sticky things and get them on Sportscenter regularly.

There is a hackneyed expression that goes something like, "the sky is the limit."

But, really, that expression is applicable here.

And I'm very glad he was a Husky. He took a lot of while he was here for not living up to whatever hype people believed was there.

Shame on you, and on me to the extent I let myself be disappointed in a kid who was 20 days out of prep school and playing in the Big East.

But I'm going to redeem myself, because this kid is a Husky, mainly, and because I'm pulling for him, secondly, and because he is already a beast and he looks like he may well become one of the most gruesome beasts to ever bound frighteningly over the NBA hardwood.

Reaction Score
It was a preseason game against the Raptors. I think AD is going to be a good player in the league but all of this over a preseason game against a non playoff team is a bit much.

Okay. I had my doubts. My doubts have now been blown away like a possum taking a face full of 00 buckshot out of a 12 gauge magnum from point blank range.

Dude's stat line was crazy good for a 19 year old in his first (preseason) game:

In 22 minutes, 75% from field for 12 points, 7 boards, 2 steals, 2 blocked shots, 2 top ten plays on ESPN.

Quick per 40 numbers: 22 pts, 13 boards, 4 steals, 4 blocks, 4 top ten plays on ESPN (;)) .

This question has been answered: "Is Drummond going to be good in the NBA?"

Folks. The only question left is how good will he be? Maybe, just maybe, the question should be how great will he be?

Frankly, I'm super excited for the kid, and get this shocker - I'm actually going to tune in to some Detroit games this year to watch him play. Detroit must be warm-in-the pants happy about Drummond, because the guy is going to sell tickets and shirts and silly arm sticky things and get them on Sportscenter regularly.

There is a hackneyed expression that goes something like, "the sky is the limit."

But, really, that expression is applicable here.

And I'm very glad he was a Husky. He took a lot of while he was here for not living up to whatever hype people believed was there.

Shame on you, and on me to the extent I let myself be disappointed in a kid who was 20 days out of prep school and playing in the Big East.

But I'm going to redeem myself, because this kid is a Husky, mainly, and because I'm pulling for him, secondly, and because he is already a beast and he looks like he may well become one of the most gruesome beasts to ever bound frighteningly over the NBA hardwood.

caw

Reaction Score
It was a preseason game against the Raptors. I think AD is going to be a good player in the league but all of this over a preseason game against a non playoff team is a bit much.

Sadly the Raptors may represent a mid-tier team in the NBA. Drummond will surely have bad games but think about what he could put up against the Bobcats.

Reaction Score
Right, because Garnett and Bynum stories are the norm. Fact is, tons of kids have potential, but only a few have the drive, only a few fall into the perfect learning situation. In all honestly I don't think you can say college or the NBA is a better learning experience. I guess I'm selfish because I'd rather see him develop here , contribute and win than sit on a bench develop and succeed a few years down the line in the NBA

Yeah, like Andre's athletic ability is the norm. If he never learns how to play offense or shoot he is a taller and more athletic Ben Wallace.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind Toronto's centers last night were Aaron Gray, Amir Johnson and Valanciunas. Again, I'm not saying AD won't be a good NBA player but let's not get carried away. He wasn't playing against Dwight Howard or Andrew Bynum last night

Reaction Score
Monroe and Drummond can be great together. Complementary pieces that could be really scary in the future.

Reaction Score
It was the preseason and the Raptors are atrocious but it was a very impressive debut. He'll benefit so much from being around PG's that can get him the ball in the right places at the right time and make the game easier for him. Plus the spacing of the NBA game will make life much easier for him compared to being swarmed in 2-3 zones by a bunch of 6'7 college kids. I've said it over the last several months but he should have no problem being DeAndre Jordan, maybe more quickly than I thought.

Keep in mind Toronto's centers last night were Aaron Gray, Amir Johnson and Valanciunas. Again, I'm not saying AD won't be a good NBA player but let's not get carried away. He wasn't playing against Dwight Howard or Andrew Bynum last night

True, but there aren't many great defensive bigs anymore anyway and most of AD's points will come on pick and rolls and drives and dishes where his defender has left him to help. It won't really matter who's guarding him, he's not going to be going 1v1 with his back to the basket anytime soon.

Reaction Score
He wasn't playing against Dwight Howard or Andrew Bynum last night
This is an excellent point.
Against these guys he's going to be extra motivated and his numbers will probably be higher.
Good thought.;)

caw

Reaction Score

Aaron Gray averaged almost 17 minutes a game last year. Amir Johnson almost 24 minutes a game last year. Valanciunas was the #5 pick in 2011 and would have probably been higher if he was in the 2012 draft.

Sure it's not the cream of the crop, but it's still pretty good considering all of those guys are likely better than anyone he faced in college (Royce White aside).

Reaction Score
U know, I was worried about Andre leaving early. Not sure if he was making the right decision. In his 3rd game of his NBA career, he is going to be fine. The kid is going to be alright. If he keeps working and learning, he could be really good. He reminds me of Kevin Garnett when he first came into the league years ago.

Reaction Score
Andre killin' it. Rebound, block shots, take shots 3 feet and in. Staff using him well. I think his only misses are on a couple of jumpers.

Reaction Score
19 points on 9-13 shooting along with 10 rebounds and 2 blocks against the Bucks in 25 minutes.

Reaction Score
I know it's just the preseason, but Drummond looks like he could be a superstar in the making with the way he's played so far. Two really impressive performances so far on both sides of the ball. We all know he has the physical talent to dominate, let's hope he puts it to use as he represents UConn well in the NBA.

Reaction Score
I hate to say this but he boxed out more in that video than he did his whole freshman year in Storrs.......good for him.......he looked very good and did the things which will help make him successful.

Reaction Score
I'd like you to return to this thread and post when you believe that we're not all getting carried away.

19/10/2/2 pts/r/a/st in 25 minutes, and +2. Starting center was 9/4/0/0 in about the same amount of time, and -20.

I love the way you pick the two toughest match ups in the league and say, with your negativity, "he wasn't playing one of these guys." No. Obviously. If he put up those numbers on the best guys in the league, then he would be among the best guys in the league. And he's not playing against those guys in all but a few games a year, of course.

His 40 minute stat line is about 35/14/3/3.

What's the thought here? Another team with crappy, inferior centers and, consequently, inflated numbers?

Minimally, give the kid some freaking credit here. He's 19, he's been in the league 3 games. And more importantly, if you watched him closely last year and you watched him in the Pistons games, you should be able to see that his improvement has already been dramatic.

It gets really scary for the other team when the biggest guy on the court is also the most athletic guy on the court, which is what it looked like last night.

Detroit must be wetting their pants. They got a huge steal.

I'll post updates on the following guys, who got taken ahead of Drummond:
Anthony Davis, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Bradley Beal, Dion Waiters, Thomas Robinson, Damian Lillard, Harrison Barnes, Terrence Ross
I love the fact that Portland took Lillard.

Holy Christ, it's like there's a Big-Man Drafting Genetic Retardation gene being carried in the Portland management.

Drummond has the chance to go down as one of the greatest steals in the history of the NBA draft. Somebody took Dion Waiters ahead of Drummond? Srsly?

How's that for getting carried away?

Reaction Score
dapriest is correct here.........I was one of the people who felt AD underachieved at UConn and still do........but what's on that video is exactly what he needs to be, which is a big outworking the others. He continuously fought for position and offensive rebounded like a man. If he just does that with his ability he will make an impact never mind if he eventually improves his offensive game. The rebounds which he caught, kept the ball way up for putbacks is also a major improvement. Good for Andre.........

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nice to see Andre running the floor so well. That was an NBA skill he had in high school. No so nice to see that many of the put-backs came from Charlie V.'s bricks. Charlie stinks, I hope he's saving his money.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'd like you to return to this thread and post when you believe that we're not all getting carried away.

19/10/2/2 pts/r/a/st in 25 minutes, and +2. Starting center was 9/4/0/0 in about the same amount of time, and -20.

I love the way you pick the two toughest match ups in the league and say, with your negativity, "he wasn't playing one of these guys." No. Obviously. If he put up those numbers on the best guys in the league, then he would be among the best guys in the league. And he's not playing against those guys in all but a few games a year, of course.

His 40 minute stat line is about 35/14/3/3.

What's the thought here? Another team with crappy, inferior centers and, consequently, inflated numbers?

Minimally, give the kid some freaking credit here. He's 19, he's been in the league 3 games. And more importantly, if you watched him closely last year and you watched him in the Pistons games, you should be able to see that his improvement has already been dramatic.

It gets really scary for the other team when the biggest guy on the court is also the most athletic guy on the court, which is what it looked like last night.

Detroit must be wetting their pants. They got a huge steal.

I'll post updates on the following guys, who got taken ahead of Drummond:
Anthony Davis, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Bradley Beal, Dion Waiters, Thomas Robinson, Damian Lillard, Harrison Barnes, Terrence Ross
I love the fact that Portland took Lillard.

Holy Christ, it's like there's a Big-Man Drafting Genetic Retardation gene being carried in the Portland management.

Drummond has the chance to go down as one of the greatest steals in the history of the NBA draft. Somebody took Dion Waiters ahead of Drummond? Srsly?

How's that for getting carried away?

Good analysis. The biggest concern I have with Andre is his personality. Different people have different abilities to generate motivation. Kemba, KFree and Ray are three good examples of people whose will to win helped them overcome some physical limitations. There are very few players in bb, past or present, who have the physical attributes of Andre. The question is whether he can generate the will to win day in and day out.

I'm thrilled he is starting off really well. His legacy, imo, will be determined by whether he can sustain the same excitement level over a long season and, hopefully, a long career.

Reaction Score
Tonight - 9 pts, 3 boards, 4 blocked shots, +24!!! In 17 minutes.
Extended out to 40, about 20/7/9 +48.
Beastly. The +24 is a crazy number - he must have altered a lot of shots.

Reaction Score
I was one of the people who felt AD underachieved at UConn and still do .....

I never understood this.

Drummond averaged 10 points, 8 boards and 3 blocks a game as a freshman. That is probably the greatest freshman year ever under Jim Calhoun.

Drummond did not under achieve. He just didn't live up to some people's crazy expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom