Andre makes preseason debut on NBA TV tonight at 7:30 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Andre makes preseason debut on NBA TV tonight at 7:30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I never understood this.

Drummond averaged 10 points, 8 boards and 3 blocks a game as a freshman. That is probably the greatest freshman year ever under Jim Calhoun.

Drummond did not under achieve. He just didn't live up to some people's crazy expectations.

Sorry did you just see what he did against the Bucks in the NBA, not in college......a few months after his freshman year??????? I believe if he worked that hard for position like in the video, hung around the interior more often, didn't take stupid fade away jumpers and made a FT here he could have easily averaged what he did against the Bucks, last year for UConn. And to say it was the greatest freshman year under Jim Calhoun is crapping on many that were better including most recently Jeremy Lamb who won a national title his frosh year and Josh Boone who did the same and was an impact and overachieved..........sorry I hope he does good but let's call a spade a spade here.......

Reaction Score
I like AD but man get the duckk outta here with this comment. As for AD with the Pistons, I know the Pistons want to take things slow with him but they might be better served starting him right off the bat, defensively he looks great in man to man(I expected this after Enes Kanter couldn't even move him in the post during the summer) and surprisingly in pick and roll as well, he's already an upgrade over Maxiell. AD & Greg Monroe will be one of the better starting big man tandems in the league very soon.

I never understood this.

Drummond averaged 10 points, 8 boards and 3 blocks a game as a freshman. That is probably the greatest freshman year ever under Jim Calhoun.

Drummond did not under achieve. He just didn't live up to some people's crazy expectations.

Reaction Score
I know Orlando rested most of their lead players, but man, will they suck!

What a crappy roster! Shows what a difference Dwight Howard truly made (despite being a distraction and headache for the franchise).

Reaction Score
We didn't get his best shot last year.

I'm not directing this at you, Waquoit. But I hope he ends up being a beast this year and beyond, and people don't equate his freshman year with the disappointing year the team had. They all underachieved.

AD could have played the same way last year, and we could have had a shot at repeating. As we know, the chemistry sucked and there was some dissent among key players. That's the biggest disappointment from last year. I will always be thankful that AD chose to be a Husky for one year and will always root for the kid.

Besides he's a pretty exciting player to watch. I'm sure Pistons fans are thrilled to have him, and I think with his highlight reel plays, he will be popular with fans of other teams as well.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm not directing this at you, Waquoit. But I hope he ends up being a beast this year and beyond, and people don't equate his freshman year with the disappointing year the team had. They all underachieved.

I agree with you 4. I'm rooting for the guy. You knew there was a place in the NBA for him just by the way he can run the floor. I hope his game keeps growing.

Reaction Score
When Andre played hyped at UConn, even with his raw style of basketball, he seemed unstoppable. He is going to play hyped every game in the NBA, so excited to see how his season goes.

Reaction Score
When Andre played hyped at UConn, even with his raw style of basketball, he seemed unstoppable. He is going to play hyped every game in the NBA, so excited to see how his season goes.
Remember the first Syracuse game? Remember how he was killing it, and then went down with an ankle injury. If he was able to sustain that, that team would have turned it around.

Reaction Score

"When he played hyped..." I guess that says it all huh?? Can't remember enough "hyped" games to make his the best freshman season ever.....I think Waqy said it best...we didn't get AD's best.......for his sake hope he's rady to play "hyped" 82 plus times a year or things will be tough!!

Reaction Score
Remember the first Syracuse game? Remember how he was killing it, and then went down with an ankle injury. If he was able to sustain that, that team would have turned it around.
Thats actually my exact memory. He got pissed that game. I loved it

Reaction Score
And to say it was the greatest freshman year under Jim Calhoun is crapping on many that were better including most recently Jeremy Lamb who won a national title his frosh year and Josh Boone who did the same and was an impact and overachieved...

Fair enough. I should have said one of the greatest freshmen years under Calhoun. But the point remains.
For the record, Lamb averaged 11 points, 4 rebounds and 1.6 assists. Not really better than Drummond. Boone, 10 ppg 7 rpg 2 bpg, had a similar year to Drummond.

Caron Butler's frehman year, however, was crazy: 20 ppg 3 apg 7.5 rpg and 2.1 spg.

Reaction Score
those are his soph averages, but he was 15 7 and 3 and easily the best fresh ive seen since i started watching uconn

Reaction Score
Fair enough. I should have said one of the greatest freshmen years under Calhoun. But the point remains.
For the record, Lamb averaged 11 points, 4 rebounds and 1.6 assists. Not really better than Drummond. Boone, 10 ppg 7 rpg 2 bpg, had a similar year to Drummond.

Caron Butler's frehman year, however, was crazy: 20 ppg 3 apg 7.5 rpg and 2.1 spg.

Stop relying only on numbers. Boone's play in the semi-final win over Duke alone puts him ahead of Drummond as far as I'm concerned.

Reaction Score
Stop relying only on numbers. Boone's play in the semi-final win over Duke alone puts him ahead of Drummond as far as I'm concerned.

Pretty much, there's such a thing called impact and when you played well, not even sure how AD can even be in the discussion with Lamb and Boone, and that's just the recent guys. That's not even counting Caron, Khalid, Ray, etc.

Reaction Score
Pretty much, there's such a thing called impact and when you played well, not even sure how AD can even be in the discussion with Lamb and Boone, and that's just the recent guys. That's not even counting Caron, Khalid, Ray, etc.

And Nadav. Not sure that it would be possible to top Nadav's freshman year.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, I think those who blame the outcome last season on AD are making a mistake. He did just fine for a Freshman.

Reaction Score
Whose posts are you replying to when you post something like that? Who blamed him for the season?

Reaction Score
Don't you think that if Drummond was playing next to Okafor it would have been a little easier to make an impact?

If some people are relying too heavily on numbers (and they are), others are unwilling to properly contextualize. Boone had a stable team with the POY playing next to him. Drummond had a bitter AO who, even at his best, was never Okafor. If other teams put their second best defender on Drummond and knew they couldn't double, I imagine Drummond's numbers look even better.

Boone performed extremely well on a big stage that Drummond never got to play on. That sort of thing doesn't fall on the freshman.

Reaction Score
Conversely, playing with an Okafor would also leave fewer boards and minutes available.

Reaction Score

Boone played on a team with great leadership. Drummond played on a team with AO (want to compare him to EO? - didn't think so) and had piss - poor leadership around him which JB did not. JB was amazing in that game. But let's not compare teams.

People want to bash AO, for the season he had, and the way he left, fine. AD was a good kid, and the NBA may be a better fit for him. I am not too thrilled with the way AO or JB ended their careers at UConn. JB needed another year. The freshman JB was better than the junior JB, who gave up that year, more interested in the NBA.

Reaction Score
AD was either gonna play a year of prep and go pro, or a play a year in college and go pro. I'm happy he elected to be a Husky for one year, and think he is better for it. He is a classy young man (the opposite of AO). It's too bad he played on such a dysfunctional team that had the talent to win it all. Had we won it all, would you all view him in the same light?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom