Andre Jackson Testing the NBA Draft Waters: ESPN | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Andre Jackson Testing the NBA Draft Waters: ESPN

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I think this is pretty simple, not just for Jackson but any player. If you are in position to get guaranteed money you take it. I am still shocked that there are people that think passing up guaranteed money from the NBA to return to college is smart. The training and coaching in the NBA is better and they will progress more there than risking getting hurt returning to college.

Go get your evaluations AJ, best of luck. Hopefully you get a nice guaranteed contract. If that is not on the table, let's run it back.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Totally wrong there.

He can get picked 50th and sign a two way deal or even a 3 year deal. That’s what the G League and new CBA are allowing. Nba is much more developmental than past year.

They now have 17 roster spots, 2 2-ways. Almost all second round picks who are drafted will end up on two ways if they are not even signed to a full contract outright.

The days of cut second round pick are essentially over.

Dude, if he was fine being a 2nd rounder he wouldn't be keeping his eligibility

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I think this is pretty simple, not just for Jackson but any player. If you are in position to get guaranteed money you take it. I am still shocked that there are people that think passing up guaranteed money from the NBA to return to college is smart. The training and coaching in the NBA is better and they will progress more there than risking getting hurt returning to college.

Go get your evaluations AJ, best of luck. Hopefully you get a nice guaranteed contract. If that is not on the table, let's run it back.

Yeah I suppose but it would be sad to see a team take a chance on him, kick him a payday but then dump him when he doesn't pan out right away. Then there's no going back to college where he could have had a lot more glory and maybe even a few NIL bucks.

Reaction Score
Without Jackson what are our expectations for next season?
Still a very high ceiling just a bit of a lower floor. Castle will have to play at a high level and one of the other freshman will as well if we want to remain final four caliber. Team will still compete at a high level

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yeah I suppose but it would be sad to see a team take a chance on him, kick him a payday but then dump him when he doesn't pan out right away. Then there's no going back to college where he could have had a lot more glory and maybe even a few NIL bucks.
Never forget Khalid El-Amin. That next year didn't do him any favors.

Reaction Score
El-Amin's problem was that he's a 5'10 fat guy. He improved his game in his junior season and proved he could play offense in the NBA but nobody gave him a chance because they didn't think he could cut it on D.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
If Hurley and Andre are certain he's a first round pick Hurley will lovingly push him out the door but it's going to hard for him to leave. I don't ever remember another player who loves UConn as much as Andre does and he's clearly Hurley's favorite player he's ever coached. Hurley is in awe of him and it's much closer than a coach player relationship.
Future UConn Head Coach Andre Jackson Jr.

Reaction Score
I love Andre, but these guys seriously overestimate their value. Awesome athlete, but very little scoring prowess other than dunking.

Andre is one of the most thoughtful and intelligent guys in college basketball. He’s doing this based on feedback he has already received. He is the last guy who would act recklessly with regards to his career, either professionally or in college. It seems like you really wanted to get this opinion out, but you picked the wrong guy to tie it to.

Reaction Score
Khalid couldn't change his height. That's what didn't do him any favors. At his height you have to be an explosive athlete and be able to defend. Yeah he could have tranformed his body a bit more and getting hurt before the tourney didn't help, but he was ultimately limited by his height and body type/athletic profile. Coming back to UConn had nothing to do with making or not making the NBA. He is one of my favorite Huskies of all time and my wife and I had a great time hanging out with him one time and talking about the Duke game. He also had a real good career overseas if I remember correctly.

Reaction Score
Andre is one of the most thoughtful and intelligent guys in college basketball. He’s doing this based on feedback he has already received. He is the last guy who would act recklessly with regards to his career, either professionally or in college. It seems like you really wanted to get this opinion out, but you picked the wrong guy to tie it to.
Do you get the feeling he is more likely to leave than stay?

Reaction Score
I don't understand this idea that he can't get his shot off or it is slow. If nobody guards him, he won't have any problem getting it off. The shot just needs work.
I agree. I wish he would just come back and start practicing that shot, take 500 shots a day, every day, it will get a lot better. That’s what he wants. So come back and do it. He could be Magic Johnson if he develops his shot.

Reaction Score
Yup. He will dominate. His motor is unrivaled.
I don’t think his motor is unrivaled. You know who I see in him? Dennis Rodman. I think if he grows any he could guard an SG to a PF in the right matchup. And focusing on rebounding and defense and not worrying about his shot.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Andre is a wonderful guy and great team mate and it saddens me to see he might be premature. He has the kind of skills that can only get better. Time will tell who's right here. But he will be the guy who either benefits or crashes and will have to live with the decision. I hope he comes back and hones his offensive game. To me I think that will be what really skyrocket his value.

Reaction Score
But a VERY talented guy called James Bouknight is not making much of an impact. And he has some pretty slick skills. A cautionary tale.
Lol, he may be a cautionary tale, but he’s not a “this guy left college too early” cautionary tale.

Horatio

I’m Heat Miser and your Rudolph…
Reaction Score
Initial post didn't say "like Joey C or Alleyne", he said "like Yarin". It would be a one year player that is comfortable as the 12th or 13th player on the roster. If Jackson leaves, the backcourt will likely be Newton, Castle, Diarra, Ball, and hopefully Timberlake. Would have to assume that most of Jackson's minutes would go to Castle, most of Hawkin's minutes would go to Timberlake. Ball/Diarra split the Diarra/Alleyne minutes. The player to watch is Apolsolos. 6'7" guard w/ a good 3 point shot. He may take the Joey C. minutes. Or the Freshman wing Ross can come some minutes.
Thanks. I understood the initial post. My question was based on the difference in filling the roster spot if Ajax was fully committed to the draft or the approach he’s taking. Totally different. Not sure if Hurley would settle for a twelve man type or go for a better portal guy if Andre fully committed to the draft.

Reaction Score
If Hurley and Andre are certain he's a first round pick Hurley will lovingly push him out the door but it's going to hard for him to leave. I don't ever remember another player who loves UConn as much as Andre does and he's clearly Hurley's favorite player he's ever coached. Hurley is in awe of him and it's much closer than a coach player relationship.
Caron is the only one that comes to mind. I’ll always remember him crying at the press conference when he said he was leaving, because he didn’t want to go.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom