Andre Jackson Testing the NBA Draft Waters: ESPN | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Andre Jackson Testing the NBA Draft Waters: ESPN

Reaction Score
100% the right move for Jackson.

Right now, his NBA stock is higher than it's ever been. His heart wants to come back to UConn, but it could be best for him and the program long-term (like, in showing recruits that, hey, you might not score a lot, but if you do other stuff really well NBA scouts will notice) for Jackson to get drafted and impress in the NBA.

Yet another guy I loved during his time at UConn. The energy! The heart! The passion!

Thanks for randomly waiting in line with me at Blaze Pizza (I'll never go there again)!

Reaction Score
Honest question: How does the staff manage AJ testing the waters? They have one available slot now, which could go to Timberlake, but assuming that he commits do they just wait and plug the spot late from the Transfer portal if AJ stays in the draft?

You don't worry about scholarships. If Andre wants to play for UConn next year, he will. Worst case scenario, we fill the open scholly with a one year rental like Yarin.

Reaction Score
It's apparent some of y'all don't really understand how testing the waters work. Plenty of players who have EVERY intention of returning to college will test the NBA draft process. If nothing else, it's feedback and high-level practices from the best coaches on the planet. With the ability to declare and return to college, there's no reason NOT to.

Reaction Score
Andre said shortly after winning Banner#5.. The only way he wasn't going to be coming back is unless his coach (DH) told him he should (explore) leave.. So the combination of NBA feedback and his coaches are encouraging him to do a deep dive and check it out.

Danny knows what he's got with and without Andre on his roster... He's ok with either.. Andre has earned it as did Hawk/Adama.. Credit to Danny for "kicking him" out of the nest to learn to fly.. He will continue to be an X factor either in NBA or back in Storrs to run it back.. Make us proud Andre!

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Andre said shortly after winning Banner#5.. The only way he wasn't going to be coming back is unless his coach (DH) told him he should (explore) leave.. So the combination of NBA feedback and his coaches are encouraging him to do a deep dive and check it out.

Danny knows what he's got with and without Andre on his roster... He's ok with either.. Andre has earned it as did Hawk/Adama.. Credit to Danny for "kicking him" out of the nest to learn to fly.. He will continue to be an X factor either in NBA or back in Storrs to run it back.. Make us proud Andre!
That is it, and what Hurley said. He wants AJ to go thru the process. Either way AJ wins, and UConn wins.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Totally wrong there.

He can get picked 50th and sign a two way deal or even a 3 year deal. That’s what the G League and new CBA are allowing. Nba is much more developmental than past year.

They now have 17 roster spots, 2 2-ways. Almost all second round picks who are drafted will end up on two ways if they are not even signed to a full contract outright.

The days of cut second round pick are essentially over.
What would the dollar amount of that look like?

Reaction Score
Totally wrong there.

He can get picked 50th and sign a two way deal or even a 3 year deal. That’s what the G League and new CBA are allowing. Nba is much more developmental than past year.

They now have 17 roster spots, 2 2-ways. Almost all second round picks who are drafted will end up on two ways if they are not even signed to a full contract outright.

The days of cut second round pick are essentially over.

None of that means he’s leaving if he’s projected as a 2nd rounder. He’s a kid who loves playing at UConn and has expressed that publicly probably more than any other player we’ve had. Hurley has specifically mentioned him trying to get into the first round. Extremely unlikely if he’s specifically saying he’s retaining the ability to come back to college that being a 2nd rounder and or playing in the g league is the type of feedback that would make him jump. He could collect nil money and then do that next year and unlike Sanogo does have room to improve his stock.

Reaction Score
I'm so confused with how signing with NBA agents work now because his representation will likely be key. If he signs with a powerful agent and his measurables/workouts are what we expect, than there is an excellent chance his rep will be given a guarantee by certain clubs that they will draft him (whether first or second rounds) and guarantee him a contract. If his reps aren't guaranteed that, that's when he should return to school, take a much NIL as possible and build his resume for next season in what is perceived as a weaker draft.

Reaction Score
If he’s outside the top 20 I think he comes back.

I think it's a virtual certainty that he's going to be outside the top 20 but if somebody guarantees that they're taking him at the back end of the first round he's gotta go. I don't get this notion that he has to go if he's a second rounder. I think he's pretty much guaranteed to be picked by somebody in the second round but I'm not sure that's better than coming back to UConn for another year. The second round will be there next year.

Reaction Score
Despite a bad shooting night, RW is light years ahead in shooting. I hope I’m wrong, but Dre will have problems getting his shot off In the nba. Maybe he changes his technique over the summer.
I don't understand this idea that he can't get his shot off or it is slow. If nobody guards him, he won't have any problem getting it off. The shot just needs work.

Reaction Score
What would the dollar amount of that look like?
JD Davidson, 50th pick of draft on 2-way - $2.2 million over two years.

Your first year as a 2-way is $500K. Half the first year player minimum.

Sam Hauser, for Celtics, after a partial year as a two way went from Undrafted to $6m over three years.

If Andre can get a 2-way, at worst, he can play himself into some good money.

So, he is looking at $500K as his floor.

Reaction Score
If Jackson sign a a league minimum deal, 3 years $1.2 million is first year salary.

Reaction Score
If he is drafted, it could mean a chance for Roumoglou to crack the rotation.

Horatio

I’m Heat Miser and your Rudolph…
Reaction Score
You don't worry about scholarships. If Andre wants to play for UConn next year, he will. Worst case scenario, we fill the open scholly with a one year rental like Yarin.
But what if the team needs a one year rental like Joey C or Alleyne? That’s the concern. Tough situation.

Reaction Score
Andre will impress and probably stay in the draft. My favorite uconn player ever (well he and Ricky).

Ill Miss You GIF

Reaction Score
But what if the team needs a one year rental like Joey C or Alleyne? That’s the concern. Tough situation.
Initial post didn't say "like Joey C or Alleyne", he said "like Yarin". It would be a one year player that is comfortable as the 12th or 13th player on the roster. If Jackson leaves, the backcourt will likely be Newton, Castle, Diarra, Ball, and hopefully Timberlake. Would have to assume that most of Jackson's minutes would go to Castle, most of Hawkin's minutes would go to Timberlake. Ball/Diarra split the Diarra/Alleyne minutes. The player to watch is Apolsolos. 6'7" guard w/ a good 3 point shot. He may take the Joey C. minutes. Or the Freshman wing Ross can come some minutes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He is not light years ahead of him as a shooter. Russ is literally the worst 3pt shooter in NBA history with a minimum of 3000 attempts, and he’s kind of progressively getting worse.

I know RW is a bad 3 point shooter, but at least he can take a jumper off the dribble. Dre has to be able to do this and he cannot with his current technique. BTW, RW is up to 36% this year, his career high.

Reaction Score
If Hurley and Andre are certain he's a first round pick Hurley will lovingly push him out the door but it's going to hard for him to leave. I don't ever remember another player who loves UConn as much as Andre does and he's clearly Hurley's favorite player he's ever coached. Hurley is in awe of him and it's much closer than a coach player relationship.

Reaction Score
Andre will impress and probably stay in the draft. My favorite uconn player ever (well he and Ricky).

Ill Miss You GIF
He is so unbelievably athletic that I worry that some team will decide take him in the first round. I selfishly want him to come back to Uconn for one more year.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I love Andre, but these guys seriously overestimate their value. Awesome athlete, but very little scoring prowess other than dunking.
Whaaaaat?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom