Andra Espinoza-Hunter to transfer [merged thread] | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Andra Espinoza-Hunter to transfer [merged thread]

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Never expect all 4 to stay, but did not think AEH would be the one transferred, and so soon given how much and how long she has been around the UConn program just to realize now that it is not a good fit for her. Just goes to show what you see from being around the program is not even close to what reality is when you are in it.
I agree, too many of the same types in one class with others already on the team and others coming... it was bound to happen

Reaction Score
Yes, that factor had me a bit stumped too.

me too.................she used to take a lot of flak for being such an early UConn recruit from her opponents and she knew both UConn players and coaches particularly well...................I guess to put a positive spin on the situation, Geno now has an extra scholarship to give if he finds a hidden gem somewhere

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
me too.......she used to take a lot of flak for being such an early UConn recruit from her opponents and she knew both UConn players and coaches particularly well....I guess to put a positive spin on the situation, Geno now has an extra scholarship to give if he finds a hidden gem somewhere
Somewhere, like Oz. ;)

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Somewhere, like Oz. ;)

Well it is rumored that Dorothy has a mean crossover.

P.S. Nike is ready to release the Ruby Hightops as soon as she announces eligibility for the draft.

dorothy_crossover.jpg

Reaction Score
Sad to see that AEH decided to transfer. Whatever the reason may really be, I wish her the best of luck, success, and happiness where ever she decides to continue to collegiate basketball career. I was actually surprised of the news as I never envisioned her actually doing so even with all the speculation that was going on the past couple weeks on the board. Just goes to show you never know what's going on in the heads of the players. Nonetheless, it's time to move on and continue to strive for #12

Reaction Score
I'm sorry Andi will not be at UConn. I expect her to excel. Best wishes, Andi. Have great games even against UConn, as long as the Huskies score more points.

Reaction Score
4 freshmen on a team that returned the bulk of its starting lineup from last season. We expected that at least one would bolt. It's sometimes hard to wait your turn after being a star the year prior.

Reaction Score
I wonder why she left after one semester. Why not stick it out a full year and then if you still don't really like it then leave. Even Stef said she thought about transferring in her freshman year, but she stuck it out and look what happened.
Intestinal fortitude!

Reaction Score
We don't know the reason AEH transfers, it could have nothing to do with playing time, but yes I never expect this class to stay intact.

Reaction Score
I would agree also regardless of the reason. I bet if you went back and looked at incoming classes of 4 (or more) for any school, you would find a high percentage of transfers.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Since the four recruits played similar positions Guards/Wings, it was highly probable that one or more would transfer. Geno's system that you have to earn playing time by your efforts and knowledge demonstrated in practice seems to limit playing time compared to what Freshmen might get at other programs. There are very few freshmen that are able to gain immediate starting status unless there is a considerable weakness at a particular position. At the beginning of the year, the only question the team had was Crystal improved enough to handle the Starting PG or was Geno going to go with a bigger lineup and have Stevens start. We got the answer early as Crystal is the starter and doesn't look like she's going to relinquish it and Stevens comes off the bench. I can't think of a Single Freshmen in all of College Basketball that would be able to break into this starting lineup.

I do wish that the potential future starters that are on the team would get more minutes this year. However, playing time is earned in how hard you work in practice regardless of whether the player(s) is a potential starter in the future. The system has served Geno and CD well, no reason to change it.

Reaction Score
I am not referring to this case but more and more transfers are happening in not just women's college basketball but sports in general. Part of it is that today's young players have a different outlook on commitment than we did in the past. For some that is a good thing, for others not so much. Likely depends on reasons and personality. I've heard coaches, including Geno, say that highly recruited kids seem not to play for their high schools anymore and have AAU (or whatever) coaches who seem more like agents than coaches. Sports, even at the professional level, have become more me teams instead of we teams. Kids see that and it changes their perspective.

Don't know the reasons for this change and don't care to. I wish her well. Time to move on.

One last point while being long winded (sorry). To those who think Geno is not preparing the bench for the future have you watched the last few games? Instead of a group of 5 coming off the bench for the last minutes of a game the have been worked in with 2 or 3 starters to get read experience. I like what he is doing and totally agree with him - you earn your time. Things earned have more value.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I am not referring to this case but more and more transfers are happening in not just women's college basketball but sports in general. Part of it is that today's young players have a different outlook on commitment than we did in the past. For some that is a good thing, for others not so much. Likely depends on reasons and personality. I've heard coaches, including Geno, say that highly recruited kids seem not to play for their high schools anymore and have AAU (or whatever) coaches who seem more like agents than coaches. Sports, even at the professional level, have become more me teams instead of we teams. Kids see that and it changes their perspective.

Don't know the reasons for this change and don't care to. I wish her well. Time to move on.

One last point while being long winded (sorry). To those who think Geno is not preparing the bench for the future have you watched the last few games? Instead of a group of 5 coming off the bench for the last minutes of a game the have been worked in with 2 or 3 starters to get read experience. I like what he is doing and totally agree with him - you earn your time. Things earned have more value.
I agree with you about the perceived transferring among sports participants nowadays. I have not done any research on the subject, but in watching HS basketball games (both men and women, but more so with men) how many players on the Top teams have transferred into that HS just to play bball? (Didin't AEH play some of her HS "away" from home?) Some seem to bounce from school to school yearly with no regard to their "commitment". I wonder if this will be the new trend in college sports, especially if the NCAA either allows more waivers or eliminates the sitting out requirement completely, sort of like college softball.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Does Syracuse have a scholly available? :)

Syracuse is sticking out to me here... but a Big 10 school like Michigan, Maryland or Penn State wouldn’t surprise me either. Good luck to AEH.. not sure if she saw the writing on the wall.. but with Nurse, Walker, Coombs, etc. and Williams coming it was going to be difficult, UConn just has so much great depth at the wing for the foreseeable future.

The Huskies minor loss will be someone else’s significant gain.

Reaction Score
Top players recruited to a a school want to play. You can't blame them for wanting to get minutes. Thats why using 6 players for 35 minutes in blow out games seems weird to me.

Only people who have never been a starter and/or have never played for a true winning program understand the logic (and actual need) for the very best players to play a majority of the minutes in a game regardless of the score. Your best can't get better collectively and/or individually if they're not playing. No one on the team is averaging 35 minutes a game and only two players (Nurse and Dangerfield) are averaging more than 32 mpg. The rest are all under 30 mpg. If you want UConn to win National Championships and play as close to perfect basketball as possible, then stop questioning the game's best coach and how he achieves these goals. Do you seriously think you know better than Geno? Really?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Syracuse is sticking out to me here... but a Big 10 school like Michigan, Maryland or Penn State wouldn’t surprise me either. Good luck to AEH.. not sure if she saw the writing on the wall.. but with Nurse, Walker, Coombs, etc. and Williams coming it was going to be difficult, UConn just has so much great depth at the wing for the foreseeable future.

The Huskies minor loss will be someone else’s significant gain.
Penn State has scooped up a couple ex-Huskies with Brianna Banks and De’Janae Boykin. I wouldn’t be surprised if AEH ended up in State College as well.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Where might she go? I'm good as long as it's not Tennessee or South Carolina. Lol. I know I know!

LOL what did we do to deserve this? You change this right now!

The Gamecock hate is always interesting considering we’ve never even been close enough to sniff beating UConn. Never. Ever. Lol

Reaction Score
Didn’t get to see the young lady play but hope she finds a situation that works well for her, whether it involves basketball or not.

It’s tough to keep any class together at a major program given the tendency for top recruits to congregate in a few programs. UT has a terrific freshman class and another one coming next year. Texas and Baylor have impressive rosters already and both add several top recruits for the upcoming season. It will be interesting to see if these teams will be able to keep everyone happy and have enough basketballs to go around.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I would agree also regardless of the reason. I bet if you went back and looked at incoming classes of 4 (or more) for any school, you would find a high percentage of transfers.

Yep. We had TWO transfer from our #2 ranked 2014 class of 4 (a class that was actually 5 but Cliney redshirted)..

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom