Andra Espinoza-Hunter to transfer [merged thread] | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Andra Espinoza-Hunter to transfer [merged thread]

Reaction Score
I think it is a legitimate point and the answer goes to the NCCA transfer rules. By transferring now, can't she play in January 2019 as opposed to Fall 2019? Given that fall games start in November, it's 11 months less time to sit and wait.

Almost. If she transfers now, she can play in mid-December 2018 instead of mid-November 2019.

Reaction Score
That is correct. She has to sit for 2 academic periods not counting summer. If she enroll at another school to be able to attend in the spring semester, she becomes eligible when fall term grades are posted. She has 3 1/2 years of eligibility since she played in the fall semester here. Because it was less than a 3rd of the whole regular season games, she could petition the NCAA to restore the the other 1/2 year; my experiences with this would lead me to believe she would have a better chance to petition to become immediately eligible next fall dependent upon circumstances indicated.....you never know how the NCAA reacts to that; just this year, there have been such cases go both ways.

No. Playing a half year is identical to playing a full year. She will have either 3 years or 2.5 years of eligibility left. There is NO avenue to petition the NCAA to get back the half year. Cases do not go both ways.

Reaction Score
No. Playing a half year is identical to playing a full year. She will have either 3 years or 2.5 years of eligibility left. There is NO avenue to petition the NCAA to get back the half year. Cases do not go both ways.

I was involved with a kid who transferred from my program (a men's program) when I was in the business a few years ago where the player maintained the 1/2 year eligibility due to a petition to the NCAA based on the reasons for the transfer (it was for a hardship that I need not share). Just saying that you can petition the NCAA for anything & it's never clear cut as to how they might rule. I thought they made the correct decision in this his case.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I’m glad this was finally made public. Heard this a couple weeks ago.

Good luck to AEH.

Reaction Score
I feel for the kid. She committed so early, probably felt that UConn was the place for her for so long, only to find out when she got there that it wasn't. And it doesn't matter the reason. She must have been so disappointed. I wish her nothing but happiness and success, wherever she ends up.

Reaction Score
This was both a surprise and a loss. She showed talent. And she was getting to play. It's not as if she was relegated to the bench.

I hope we find out what happened some day. A loss for Connecticut.

HGN

Reaction Score
The news we all feared , but did not want to say , but suspected. It has been said many times that Geno can be hardest on those he sees great potential in , or just shear greatness. I think AEH could have been a great player at Uconn. Unfortunately we will never know.

But wherever she ends up they will be getting a wonderful person and potentially a great player.

Good Luck Andi.

Reaction Score
Good for her. For every Chong who stuck it out with limited time until her senior year there are many more who want a bigger role as soon as they can. It’s unavoidable and to be expected in today’s WBB especially at UConn where it’s crazy competitive for just “good” players to get playing time.

Reaction Score
Hopefully this will put to rest all the "there's gotta be a personal reason" posts:

“Distance really isn’t a problem for me,” she said. “Wherever I think (the best fit) is, whether it’s in like California or Texas or whatever it is, no matter how far, as long as I think that it’s a good fit for me, then hopefully I’ll be going there.”

Girls basketball: Ossining alumna Andra Espinoza-Hunter to transfer from UConn

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Hopefully this will put to rest all the "there's gotta be a personal reason" posts:

“Distance really isn’t a problem for me,” she said. “Wherever I think (the best fit) is, whether it’s in like California or Texas or whatever it is, no matter how far, as long as I think that it’s a good fit for me, then hopefully I’ll be going there.”

Girls basketball: Ossining alumna Andra Espinoza-Hunter to transfer from UConn

So she's going to take courses at Westchester CC and entertain entreaties from other programs. If that is the way it plays out she'll sit through the first half of 2019.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She played with Saniya for Ossining when she was an 8th grader. She visited UConn with Saniya, and may have decided then that she wanted to go to UConn. ( Personally, I think that's too young for that kind of decision.)

Contrary to what some fans might think , there are actually some people who would rather play and make a significant contribution to their team, than win a NC. I think I'm safe in predicting that Hunter will be a starter for the right D1 team. I give her credit for recognizing that she may have made a mistake, for her, and correcting that mistake and extending her eligibility to make a contribution elsewhere.
I believe that Andi played with Saniya as far back as 7th grade.

Reaction Score
Sorry to hear this and good luck to you AEH!!!! I long have said that transfers are individual decisions..... every case is different..... Along with that, I never look for a reason they seek to transfer.... or think it is a byproduct of the team, the school, etc.....

What is great is that she is talented..... and smart.... and has a wonderful future ahead of her..... Andi you are going to succeed wonderfully... Good luck....

Reaction Score
This is not bad news. It means that this young woman (who surely must know that there is more to life than basketball) has made a thoughtful, painful, courageous decision about what is best for her and her future. May she live long, and prosper.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Very sad. Did she have other colleges on her recruiting list? Was it UConn only? I don't recall
AEH verbally committed to UCONN December 2014 -her Sophmore year of HS and mere days after Sadie Edwards decided to transfer. Being a sophomore she likely had little time to consider many other schools.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
So she's going to take courses at Westchester CC and entertain entreaties from other programs. If that is the way it plays out she'll sit through the first half of 2019.

Yes, if she doesn't transfer until after the spring semester -- and it sounds like that may be the plan with her taking classes -- she won't be eligible until the fall of 2019 after spending a full academic year in residence. Surprising that she would decide to transfer after the first semester but not seek to enroll in a new school in January like Samaria and Sadie did. There are reasons why this may be the preferred or necessary path.

Reaction Score
Please correct me if I am wrong, but the last time a whole class of four stayed for the entire time was the class of 2002, which contained four studs (five really, but injury unfortunately intervened). It is totally normal for one or two of the four to transfer; the only question is which one. It is not just a coincidence that the last two instances had one player (Walker and Nurse) commit later than usual. The program needed at least three players; once that three became four, the dynamic radically changed
Also, the way UConn runs its program, it is virtually impossible to get more than 12 players development time on the court. If he regularly plays seven, there are only five slots for fourth quarter appearances (12).

Reaction Score

"Good fit" read as: "as long as that team does not recruit the #1 prospect in the country who also happens to be a shooting guard."

I had high hopes for her and thought she could be a stone-cold killer from the outside.
Good luck Andi!

Reaction Score
Similar to Kia's class. 4 freshman guards came in with little chance of all 4 playing much. Two left. The 2 who remained (Kia and Gabby) became stars. and both have played significant roles in keeping the Huskies on the top of their sport. Things have a way of working out. We've discussed how so many new (and old) players would find minutes this year. Well, cream rises. Right now I expect Meg and Mykayla to be major contributors down the road. Walker should start next season, and Coombs will vie for playing the 2 as Kia departs. Oh, yeah, and then there's Christyn . . . All's well.

Kia was a star in year 1.

Reaction Score
Never expect all 4 to stay, but did not think AEH would be the one transferred, and so soon given how much and how long she has been around the UConn program just to realize now that it is not a good fit for her. Just goes to show what you see from being around the program is not even close to what reality is when you are in it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think this is too bad. I believe that Andi has enough talent to be a contributor, though she was likely to be behind Christyn Williams on the depth chart. I'm also a little surprised, because Andi has known Geno for 6 years and attended far more UConn practices than any recruit. Between that and knowing Saniya, Andi should have known what playing at Uconn is like.

I hope Andi finds a good fit for herself. Maybe Marist is an option. I think she could play and start for many Division I teams by her junior year. She may be good enough to play professionally in a lower level league down the road.

I feel for Andi. Playing for Geno is tough, and the shock of the first year can be overwhelming. Geno and Andi made their best decision in the recruitment process, but it didn't work out. Best wishes to Andi!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom