Andra Espinoza-Hunter to transfer [merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Andra Espinoza-Hunter to transfer [merged thread]

Reaction Score
This is the news I feared most. :( I didn't want to speculate in open forum, but I also had the feeling she was not going to return, she missed too many games. There can only be 2 reasons for her departure. I knew at some point we would be advised of the reason for her absence. Geno gave us a vague hint when he said "We hope to have some resolution for this matter soon". It could have meant a lot of things, but it also eliminated a few. It was at THAT moment I didn't think she would return. I know her teammates will miss her, as will we.

She probably has already found her new college of choice, and already enrolled. Like Sadie Edwards did, AEH will be eligible to play in mid-December of THIS year if she enrolls at her new school for the spring semester, which for most colleges begins this coming Tuesday (16th). I will continue to follow Andrea the rest of her college athletic career, and wish her all the best.

Personal issues aside, it seems like these transfers are more likely when we bring in a recruiting class of fairly similar players.

The 2014 class had Edwards, Ekmark, Nurse, and Williams, all #15-35 ranked players, all 5'9-6' guards (though Gabby's game has shown itself to be different). At the time it seemed like some of those players would turn out to be redundant. Two of them transferred.

This year's class had Espinoza-Hunter, Gordon and Coombs, all #15-30 ranked players, all 5'10-11 guards. Once again it seems like some of those players will turn out to be redundant.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Personal issues aside, it seems like these transfers are more likely when we bring in a recruiting class of fairly similar players.

The 2014 class had Edwards, Ekmark, Nurse, and Williams, all #15-35 ranked players, all 5'9-6' guards (though Gabby's game has shown itself to be different). At the time it seemed like some of those players would turn out to be redundant. Two of them transferred.

This year's class had Espinoza-Hunter, Gordon and Coombs, all #15-30 ranked players, all 5'10-11 guards. Once again it seems like some of those players will turn out to be redundant. Already one has transferred.
Didn't Edwards also transfer during the winter break her Freshman year?

Reaction Score
You could see it coming when she was shown commenting on Geno’s approach as being “ not a myth but a reality”. I had hoped that she would have earned more playing time and would have proven herself as being a valuable reserve. She’ll star at a future school ...so regrettable that it won’t be for the blue and white.

Reaction Score
I wish her much success where ever she ends up. I see more and more freshman with home sickness (if that is what this is), and I'm not just talking about basketball players or other athletes - just freshman in general. I know of several of my friends kids that just wanted to go back home. Not a thing wrong with that.. :)

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Sad to hear this news, but it was what I expected. All the best AEH in her next school.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

This year's class had Espinoza-Hunter, Gordon and Coombs, all #15-30 ranked players, all 5'10-11 guards. Once again it seems like some of those players will turn out to be redundant. Already one has transferred.
Following on your points: There was a numbers problem with a larger than usual roster this year. Although I don't think Megan or Lexi were direct competition to her, Mikayla was. And of course a very highly regarded combo guard is coming in next year. Still, it's not out of the question she could have started at off-guard next year as a sophomore. She sure seemed to have a lot of potential.

We don't know her thoughts, but for now I'm going to conclude she is making a good basketball/business decision as did others in recent years. I hope she has a good life.

Reaction Score
Similar to Kia's class. 4 freshman guards came in with little chance of all 4 playing much. Two left. The 2 who remained (Kia and Gabby) became stars. and both have played significant roles in keeping the Huskies on the top of their sport. Things have a way of working out. We've discussed how so many new (and old) players would find minutes this year. Well, cream rises. Right now I expect Meg and Mykayla to be major contributors down the road. Walker should start next season, and Coombs will vie for playing the 2 as Kia departs. Oh, yeah, and then there's Christyn . . . All's well.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I wonder why she left after one semester. Why not stick it out a full year and then if you still don't really like it then leave. Even Stef said she thought about transferring in her freshman year, but she stuck it out and look what happened.
Hoops: There is absolutely nothing wrong with your post. This is a public forum. And after all, you did start with "I wonder."

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Hmmm, sad to see her go. I didn't expect all 4 to stay 4 years, but seeing her play the 1st semester, didn't expect her to be the one to leave, or this early. Youngin's, what are you going to do. Best of luck to her and I hope she ends up somewhere she really wants to be.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Next we'll hear where she has matriculated. I imagine there are more than a few programs that would like to speak to her.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Very sorry to see AEH move on. Frankly, outside of the Bird, Cash, Williams, Jones class, I can’t think of another class in the history of UConn WBB that had 4 players all contributing through their senior year in Storrs. Anytime you get 4 or more recruits in a single class, with talented classes ahead of and behind it, there is likely to be a risk of transfers.

Has one of the remaining freshmen just lost a roommate?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm sorry to see her leave, and I hope that her next stop is the right one for her.

We tend to forget that being a college freshman is hard enough without the demands of being a D1 athlete... and that even pales to being a D1 athlete for Geno. It's not for everyone. I wish her the best.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Well, this isn't what I expected to hear. I expected to hear that AEH had to be at home because of a family situation (illness?) for a period of time, and would miss the spring semester but perhaps be back next fall. I didn't expect her to transfer.

Except for the time of exit, this really isn't similar to the Sadie Edwards situation a few years ago (or doesn't appear to be). Sadie was clearly the last player at the end of the bench, and never got any meaningful playing time at UConn. Some of the videos for SNY of UConn practices showed Geno being particularly impatient with her ("Sadie, if you had been paying attention, you would have known that!"). The situation with AEH hasn't been like that. I think from the exhibition games onward, she was the second freshman off the bench, behind Megan Walker but clearly ahead of Mikayla and Lexi in playing time. Presumably, Geno was impressed enough with how well she was "getting it" to give her that playing time. I think there was a game or two where she even entered the game before Molly. I think she had every reason to expect that she could progress to getting significant minutes if she had stayed.

If she transfers to another major WCBB school such as Notre Dame or Maryland, then we can reasonably conclude that she didn't think she would get enough playing time at UConn, or that she didn't really warm up to Geno's coaching style. On the other hand, if she transfers to a pretty good program close to Ossining (say, Marist or Albany), then we can conclude that she wants basketball to be lower on her priority list than it would have had to be if she had stayed at UConn, and that she wants to be more available to her family than she could manage while at UConn.

I agree that UConn won't really miss her on the court, with Mikayla and Molly both showing promise and with Christyn Williams on the horizon. But that doesn't mean that she couldn't have made a meaningful basketball contribution to UConn's success if she had stayed.

Reaction Score
This is the news I feared most. :( I didn't want to speculate in open forum, but I also had the feeling she was not going to return, she missed too many games. There can only be 2 reasons for her departure. I knew at some point we would be advised of the reason for her absence. Geno gave us a vague hint when he said "We hope to have some resolution for this matter soon". It could have meant a lot of things, but it also eliminated a few. It was at THAT moment I didn't think she would return. I know her teammates will miss her, as will we.

She probably has already found her new college of choice, and already enrolled. Like Sadie Edwards did, AEH will be eligible to play in mid-December of THIS year if she enrolls at her new school for the spring semester, which for most colleges begins this coming Tuesday (16th). I will continue to follow Andrea the rest of her college athletic career, and wish her all the best. I was having a good day until I read this. It always hurts when you lose one of the flock. :(:(

seems like we're spending a lot more time these days, than we used to, following ex-Huskies thru the rest of their careers. not that I mind; in fact, I'm glad to see them getting to play the game they love.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Three or so years ago when I was finally find information on UCONN recruiting, I saw on a site that I believe no longer exist, that the first commitment for 2017-2018 was a player with the initials AEH. I read somewhere else a statement from a UCONN fan that said they were surprised she was offered so early. I believe she was a sophomore. So, she has been in the UCONN picture for some time. I was looking forward to seeing her for four years.

Reaction Score
I think it is a legitimate point and the answer goes to the NCCA transfer rules. By transferring now, can't she play in January 2019 as opposed to Fall 2019? Given that fall games start in November, it's 11 months less time to sit and wait.

That is correct. She has to sit for 2 academic periods not counting summer. If she enroll at another school to be able to attend in the spring semester, she becomes eligible when fall term grades are posted. She has 3 1/2 years of eligibility since she played in the fall semester here. Because it was less than a 3rd of the whole regular season games, she could petition the NCAA to restore the the other 1/2 year; my experiences with this would lead me to believe she would have a better chance to petition to become immediately eligible next fall dependent upon circumstances indicated.....you never know how the NCAA reacts to that; just this year, there have been such cases go both ways.

As for AEH, good luck to her. Hope she lands in a good spot for her.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
If she transfers to another major WCBB school such as Notre Dame or Maryland, then we can reasonably conclude that she didn't think she would get enough playing time at UConn, or that she didn't really warm up to Geno's coaching style. On the other hand, if she transfers to a pretty good program close to Ossining (say, Marist or Albany), then we can conclude that she wants basketball to be lower on her priority list than it would have had to be if she had stayed at UConn, and that she wants to be more available to her family than she could manage while at UConn.

Not sure I agree with that. If she transfers to smaller school, whether close to home or not, it might have a lot to do with potential playing time. She's still going to have to wait her turn at a national power for a while.

Reaction Score
I wonder why she left after one semester. Why not stick it out a full year and then if you still don't really like it then leave. .

If she transfers now, she can play around mid-December 2018, playing again in about 11 months. If she transfers after second semester, she won't play a game from around April 1st until mid-November 2019, not playing a game for over 19 months. The trade-off for getting to play a lot sooner is that she will play about 10 less games for her career. And may well miss out on a championship ring.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom