Andra Espinoza-Hunter to transfer [merged thread] | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Andra Espinoza-Hunter to transfer [merged thread]

Reaction Score
I think this is for the best for Hunter and or us. If Hunter feels she will be happier elsewhere than she made the right choice.

I was always surprised UConn took 4 players from the class of 2017. I didn't think it was a particularly strong class especially after watching the high school all star games. But it simply made our roster too crowded and I feared what that may mean for chemistry. If Butler hadn't transferred we'd have 14 players. Way too many. I think 12 is the ideal number. We basically had 3 frosh guards fighting for crumb minutes. Not a great situation for their or the teams development.

So good luck Andra. And this will mean more minutes for Kyla, Mikayla, and Lexi to develop and for Megan to work out of her funk. And it may mean our top 6 won't get too bogged down in practices. Geno obviously has not been pleased with the freshmen in practice. Better for our main goal, a championship.
Strange two years of recruiting. 2 years ago-small class with average talent at best. 4 recruits with somewhat overlapping talents 1-year ago?

Reaction Score
I agree with your take that Kiah's offensive skills did not improve over her 4 years, and she has not shown the improvement I'd hoped she would during her first 2 years in the W. She averaged 25 ppg her senior year in HS. What happened? What caused her offensive skill set to retard?

She's having a good season this winter overseas. Let's see if she brings anything of substance back to the states. There's no reason she can't average double figures in scoring and rebounding. She's coming up on year 3 as a professional. If not now, when?
UConn's offense is typically based on motion with the bigs often set up outside the 3 point line. Kiah not a 3 point shooter so not a major contributor. Any other team would likely have been able to count on her scoring 15+ per game by keeping her down low.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
keep in mind, also, that they really need to play the game and develop if they hope to have any chance to play professionally, either overseas or in the wnba. impossible to do that with very limited game minutes at UConn.

While you're keeping things in mind, please keep in mind that several players who never started regularly at UConn in four years (Kiah Stokes, Ketia Swanier, and Ashley Battle come to mind) were able to have multi-year WNBA careers despite that fact. Yes, by their senior year, they were playing a significant number of minutes, but they never started more than a game or two (perhaps when someone was injured). Others like Saniya Chong only started during their senior year. Others that we don't think of as major players (Kaili McLaren and Megan Gardler, for example) have played overseas after graduating from UConn. If Natalie Butler makes a WNBA team in 2018, it will partly be due to the numbers that she is putting up at George Mason, but also to the visibility that she had for two years (playing against big-time competition) on the UConn roster.

A significant offset to the fact that playing time is more scarce at UConn than at other schools is the fact that UConn is on national TV more than any other team (by a wide margin), so WNBA coaches see UConn players, including bench players, more than they see good players on other teams. I suspect that most WNBA coaches could tell you not only who the juniors and seniors on UConn's bench are, but what their strengths and weaknesses are, whereas they might have almost no clue about the bench players for Louisville, Texas, Ohio State, or other schools that you might think of.

If AEH had stayed, she might never have been a starter (or maybe she would have been), but she probably would have enough minutes and enough "ESPN time" by the time of her graduation that she would be under consideration by WNBA teams.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
UConn's offense is typically based on motion with the bigs often set up outside the 3 point line. Kiah not a 3 point shooter so not a major contributor. Any other team would likely have been able to count on her scoring 15+ per game by keeping her down low.
It is absurd to say that Geno demands that his posts be effective 3-point shooters. I don't think Tina Charles took a single 3-point shot during her four years at UConn, somewhat to her disappointment (apparently). I doubt that Kara Wolters did either.

Kiah's problem on offense was that she didn't aggressively look to score in the low post or elsewhere in the paint, as both Stef and Stewie did. If she had done that, she would have been a starter.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As information/trivia, Kiah Stokes is one of only 4 UConn players to ever shoot 50% or better from 3pt range for an entire season which she did during the 2014-15 season shooting .500% (1-2). The others were Tahira Williams in 2007-08 1.000% (1-1), Jessica Moore in 2003-04 .500% 1-2) and the queen of mop up time, Stacey Marron, averaging only 2.8 minutes per game in 2002-03, shot .588 from 3 (10-17).

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
On a personal note, I played high school football, basketball, and baseball a couple of years for a coach who "motivated" with yelling, threatening, anger, criticism, etc. and we were actually afraid of the guy and afraid to make a mistake. The sports were no longer fun.

Does this relate? I don't know but some athletes respond better to less of the above and that may have been the case in this transfer situation. That plus little or no playing time. I wish her the best.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
We don't know the reason AEH transfers, it could have nothing to do with playing time, but yes I never expect this class to stay intact.
I know the Mods hate speculation and rumors so I will try to not tread in those areas.
I agree with your premise as basically she was getting the 2nd most time and in some early action. In my reading how the quotes from Geno came out, how she doesn't have a new school in mind or a stated game plan on next steps, I think there's more to the story and that's ok. This just feels different than Boykin, Edwards and even Ekmark. To me, it was telling that Geno thanked her and her family in the statement.
All that said, I hope she finds a program that fits here and she can play be it ND, Tenn, SC or where-ever. Best of luck to you AEH!

Reaction Score
While you're keeping things in mind, please keep in mind that several players who never started regularly at UConn in four years (Kiah Stokes, Ketia Swanier, and Ashley Battle come to mind) were able to have multi-year WNBA careers despite that fact. Yes, by their senior year, they were playing a significant number of minutes, but they never started more than a game or two (perhaps when someone was injured). Others like Saniya Chong only started during their senior year. Others that we don't think of as major players (Kaili McLaren and Megan Gardler, for example) have played overseas after graduating from UConn. If Natalie Butler makes a WNBA team in 2018, it will partly be due to the numbers that she is putting up at George Mason, but also to the visibility that she had for two years (playing against big-time competition) on the UConn roster.

A significant offset to the fact that playing time is more scarce at UConn than at other schools is the fact that UConn is on national TV more than any other team (by a wide margin), so WNBA coaches see UConn players, including bench players, more than they see good players on other teams. I suspect that most WNBA coaches could tell you not only who the juniors and seniors on UConn's bench are, but what their strengths and weaknesses are, whereas they might have almost no clue about the bench players for Louisville, Texas, Ohio State, or other schools that you might think of.

If AEH had stayed, she might never have been a starter (or maybe she would have been), but she probably would have enough minutes and enough "ESPN time" by the time of her graduation that she would be under consideration by WNBA teams.

Do keep in mind that, though they were not starters, the players you mention all played plenty of game minutes. I said players with very limited minutes. rather difficult for a young player to know if they'll get Swanier minutes or say, Tahira Williams minutes. Sadie Edwards, for example, went to a good team in a competitive league, where she has gotten every opportunity to develop her game. You could argue that bench minutes at UConn would have prepared her better, but we really don't know that. There are, after all, a few other college programs sending players into the professional ranks. Re ESPN time, I think few professional coaching staffs would be doing much critical scouting by watching players on tv. Back when I used to attend more UConn games, Mike Thibeault, who was not hard to spot, was a regular at many of those games.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Nope. I just used myself as a willing stand-in for the unnamed (and perhaps nonexistent) "people" to whom you refer in your post.

He was fishing and you took the bait. As much as he complains in Nan's "Freaking Out" thread that the board is sterilized and biased against critical fans he seems to have a big chip on his shoulder about people who desire to spin any positive narrative about players who transfer. Taking cheap shots at "Super fans" who pat themselves on the back for taking the moral high ground. All I can say is if that type of positive person annoys you , "Well damn". Ironic isn't it?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That would be awesome! But you know people are going to try and establish a moral high ground by reporting every good game she has and throwing out the obligatory, "I am sooooo happy for her. Once a husky, always a husky!" Barf! I am amazed the ERs in CT aren't full with people with broken arms from trying to pat themselves on the back for being superfans.
If you want to establish a "moral low ground", be unhappy and NOT wish AEH well, ... go right ahead.
Your humanity should always be greater than your fandom.

Reaction Score
He was fishing and you took the bait. As much as he complains in Nan's "Freaking Out" thread that the board is sterilized and biased against critical fans he seems to have a big chip on his shoulder about people who desire to spin any positive narrative about players who transfer. Taking cheap shots at "Super fans" who pat themselves on the back for taking the moral high ground. All I can say is if that type of positive person annoys you , "Well damn". Ironic isn't it?
No, not ironic at all. You see, the mentality that insists that we have to be superfans is exactly what also drives the board to be so sterile. If you like boring, I guess that's fine. I just think people should be able to express an opinion that is, ghast, negative once in a while. But, hey, I know I am in the minority in that regard or, at least, among the silent ones whether that be a minority or a majority.

And, for the record, I don't care that AEH transferred (same with Butler) because I don't think they were good enough to be critical to our future. I do recall some past transfers, however, that really hurt the program at the time and nothing critical was allowed to be uttered about them. Sterile.

Reaction Score
No, not ironic at all. You see, the mentality that insists that we have to be superfans is exactly what also drives the board to be so sterile. If you like boring, I guess that's fine. I just think people should be able to express an opinion that is, ghast, negative once in a while. But, hey, I know I am in the minority in that regard or, at least, among the silent ones whether that be a minority or a majority.

And, for the record, I don't care that AEH transferred (same with Butler) because I don't think they were good enough to be critical to our future. I do recall some past transfers, however, that really hurt the program at the time and nothing critical was allowed to be uttered about them. Sterile.
You are not in the minority. You are in the negativity bias ...LOL

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
There's a difference between talking trash about a(n imagined) group of people and placing oneself in the bullseye in order to call b.s..

Your avatar speaks volumes. Bye Felicia.
Why is it considered taking the high ground ,in wishing an athlete that spent time on your favorite team the best of luck and best wishes for the future?
I consider it to be the right thing to do no matter what ground I am standing on .If wishing someone ,anyone,the best for their future ,then hold me guilty every time.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I look up and this thread is still going? What a thread. One I could do without.

Reaction Score
On a personal note, I played high school football, basketball, and baseball a couple of years for a coach who "motivated" with yelling, threatening, anger, criticism, etc. and we were actually afraid of the guy and afraid to make a mistake. The sports were no longer fun.

Does this relate? I don't know but some athletes respond better to less of the above and that may have been the case in this transfer situation. That plus little or no playing time. I wish her the best.

I played high school and college sports, so I get your comparison but I do not think that Geno threatens or has players afraid of him. How many of his players come back, look to him for advise and keep a relationship for many years. I think Geno has a balance which is important. He also establishes a culture of caring and family to balance the on court direct non-coddling of players. I was never coddled on or off the football field or in other sports I played.

That said, these young women are adults now and have the right to pursue what is right and/or what makes them happy in life. Unfortunately, as I try to explain to my kids, there is no substitute for experience. She may look back in retrospect and realize some of the things she did not like about being at UConn could have improved her chances for success on the court (even with less mins on the court) and in life. It is hard to see sometimes, especially as a freshman because you do not have much to compare it to for better or worse.

I personally think she should have stuck it out for the year and then made a decision to have more insight to the process and overall approach to how Geno coaches and runs the program. Either way, from what I have read/seen (few videos and overall demeanor during games,) she seems to be hard working, smart and self aware so she is years ahead where I was at that age..... : - )

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom