Andra Espinoza-Hunter to transfer [merged thread] | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Andra Espinoza-Hunter to transfer [merged thread]

Reaction Score
I don't believe it's about home and family, she has already said in an interview that her options are wide open, could be CA or TX for her next school.
I suspect it's about anticipated playing time, the realization that there are a lot of really good players ahead of her, and Christyn Williams coming in next year.

Reaction Score
Sorry to see her leave, and I hope she gets good advise as to her next steps.

As I understand it, reading this thread (and avoiding the Kiah Stokes sidetrack) if Andy enrolls at a school this week she will be eligible to play Jan 2019. If not then she would miss more time? Her comment about taking courses at Westchester CC does not make sense to me because then she would then only be eligible Sept 2019?

She has been away from the program for a month or so, and I hope she thought these things through. I wonder if the UConn staff would, if asked, make calls to contacts if she needs to find a new school by this week?

Last edited:

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
She's good enough to have an impact on the vast majority of Division 1 teams. I hope she chooses wisely and does well.

We'd be glad to have her at Mizzou.

Reaction Score
AEH will get a lot of playing time if she joins Теннесси's fabulous guard development program.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Maybe the reason is not family-related, and not about playing time either. Maybe she found that she just didn't enjoy being coached in the way that Geno coaches.

From what I could see, Kelly Schumacher didn't like it either, although she stayed for four years. Even Rebecca has said that she was nearly ready to bail after her first two years. It happens.

That doesn't mean that Geno should change his approach, just that it won't suit every single good player.

IF (!!!) that was even the reason, which may not be the case.

Reaction Score
In that interview, she said she was going to use the time off to evaluate different schools to find a good fit, something she didn't do the first time around.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
CVS better get on the phone. We need a deadly three point shooter here at Rutgers.

Reaction Score
I like a nice speculation as well as the next guy. If the issue is grades, that[s personal. If the issue is family, that's personal. If the issue is team, PT, Practices--at this point that means nothing. The kid made a choice, not one I think she should make, but it's her choice.
Let her get on with her life, miss her as I do, and accept it. I had such great expectations for her Uconn future.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I like a nice speculation as well as the next guy. If the issue is grades, that[s personal. If the issue is family, that's personal. If the issue is team, PT, Practices--at this point that means nothing. The kid made a choice, not one I think she should make, but it's her choice.
Let her get on with her life, miss her as I do, and accept it. I had such great expectations for her Uconn future.

I agree and let's make a pact that we won't follow her career elsewhere for 4 years.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
all we're doing here is expressing opinions, which is fine. "highly unlikely" is nothing more than your opinion. I would suggest that Kiah's offensive skills showed very little improvement over 4 years, and she continues to struggle with scoring in the WNBA,

I agree with your take that Kiah's offensive skills did not improve over her 4 years, and she has not shown the improvement I'd hoped she would during her first 2 years in the W. She averaged 25 ppg her senior year in HS. What happened? What caused her offensive skill set to retard?

She's having a good season this winter overseas. Let's see if she brings anything of substance back to the states. There's no reason she can't average double figures in scoring and rebounding. She's coming up on year 3 as a professional. If not now, when?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I mean, I had heard how painful childbirth was, and watched one on video, and lots of my friends had done it, but it in no way prepared me for the real thing. Hearing and experiencing are two very different beasts.
I have to say that in all the years I've followed UConn WBB, there have been a lot of interesting analogies employed to describe just how tough it is for a freshman once they arrive on campus, but I've never heard it compared to childbirth.

If playing for Geno is that tough, it's a good thing that Geno coaches women, because no man is tough enough to handle it, which is exactly the feeling I had when I watched my wife give birth to our son. :oops:

Reaction Score
Not a chance. Kiah was a big kid who could run and jump when she arrived at Storrs, but her basketball skills were completely undeveloped. Kiah was the epitome of a basketball “Project.”

She wasn’t really a factor for the Huskies until towards the end of her junior season. During her senior season she became a very effective defender and rebounder as the 1st substitute off the bench.

Without the tremendous amount of work that Kiah put in under the direction of Geno and CD, it’s highly unlikely she would become a solid professional in the WNBA and internationally.

I just got a chance to read all this. I'm with ya here. Though I'll lay out a caveat I'm not certain about her early career but I thought she was awful absolutely stunted as a scorer. I was stunned though by her senior year the supposed experts not thinking she was a 1st round pick. She graduated as imo the best defender in UCONN history. Maybe Stewie. Anyhow offensively she got just 17 assists her entire frosh year after playing in 36 games (many were probably blowouts) while averaging just 4 ppg. It's just in her DNA to be a scorer. She won't ever be. UCONN tightened up her D got her to pass more proficient and hit some free throws showing she had touch. Thus she can play at the end of games.

I'm with ya here. Plus Auriemma was fantastic with Chong. No WNBA without UCONN.

Reaction Score
I agree and let's make a pact that we won't follow her career elsewhere for 4 years.
That's a leap!
If she moves on to a top 25 team, I'll once in a while see how she's doing---I don't follow Sade, or Ekmark, and only follow Butler because she is reported on the By. That does not mean I feel any anger for her leaving---and I'll allow her reasons to be her reasons. At this point knowing the reason would change nothing. I still think she'd have made an impact on this particular team this year--

Reaction Score
That would be awesome! But you know people are going to try and establish a moral high ground by reporting every good game she has and throwing out the obligatory, "I am sooooo happy for her. Once a husky, always a husky!" Barf!

I am amazed the ERs in CT aren't full with people with broken arms from trying to pat themselves on the back for being superfans.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
That would be awesome! But you know people are going to try and establish a moral high ground by reporting every good game she has and throwing out the obligatory, "I am sooooo happy for her. Once a husky, always a husky!" Barf!

I am amazed the ERs in CT aren't full with people with broken arms from trying to pat themselves on the back for being superfans.

Amen and amen!

Reaction Score
I just got a chance to read all this. I'm with ya here. Though I'll lay out a caveat I'm not certain about her early career but I thought she was awful absolutely stunted as a scorer. I was stunned though by her senior year the supposed experts not thinking she was a 1st round pick. She graduated as imo the best defender in UCONN history. Maybe Stewie. Anyhow offensively she got just 17 assists her entire frosh year after playing in 36 games (many were probably blowouts) while averaging just 4 ppg. It's just in her DNA to be a scorer. She won't ever be. UCONN tightened up her D got her to pass more proficient and hit some free throws showing she had touch. Thus she can play at the end of games.

I'm with ya here. Plus Auriemma was fantastic with Chong. No WNBA without UCONN.

please explain why you think he was fanatstic with Saniya Chong.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

I think it is a little different with AEH than Ekmark and Butler who spent multiple years and really reached the highest level they could at this program while also experiencing injuries etc. Some cases are easier to understand than others.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think it is a little different with AEH than Ekmark and Butler who spent multiple years and really reached the highest level they could at this program while also experiencing injuries etc. Some cases are easier to understand than others.

Yes, it is different and I enjoy seeing how people who dug in and contributed here over a sustained period do when they go elsewhere. I have no ill will toward AEH, but she rejected UConn as a mistake; we can wish her good luck without continuing to follow her.

Reaction Score

Why do you care whether I continue to follow Andra? Why do you judge whether I continue to follow her? On what basis do you assess my motives (i.e. "try and establish a moral high ground")? You do not know me, and I have no interest in knowing you.

Reaction Score
Why do you care whether I continue to follow Andra? Why do you judge whether I continue to follow her? On what basis do you assess my motives (i.e. "try and establish a moral high ground")? You do not know me, and I have no interest in knowing you.
Did I mention you somewhere? Someone took this personally. Did I strike a nerve?

Reaction Score
let's not forget the role of coaches here. they are recruiting more players than can be expected to get significant playing time, especially in a program like UConn's. they are recruiting redundant-position players to protect themselves from having to deal with a short bench, due to injuries, foul trouble ,etc. so they should not( and we shouldn't ,either) be surprised when players decide to transfer. these players have always played, and want to continue to play. I really don't think that the championship ring is such a big deal for these talented players; they really want to play the game for more than 3 minutes in a blowout. keep in mind, also, that they really need to play the game and develop if they hope to have any chance to play professionally, either overseas or in the wnba. impossible to do that with very limited game minutes at UConn.
Agreed. Playing 3 minutes a game doesn't give you much of an attachment to a ring.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom