Andra Espinoza-Hunter to Mississippi State | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Andra Espinoza-Hunter to Mississippi State

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Because like Sadie Edwards who transferred from UConn on December 9, 2014, then enrolled and attended spring and fall semester classes at USC, was thereby deemed eligible to play by the NCAA, which she did. Edwards' first game for USC was December 18, 2015 (see box score) So, I assume AEH will enjoy the same treatment and consideration. :cool:

That would be accurate if she attends classes this semester; not sure on how not attending for a semester impacts that if she decides not to attend classes this spring. I had forgotten about the 8 week class schedule offered by many joints..

Reaction Score
What has he won really? Uconn was over confident after thumping them by 60 the year before! If they play this year MS loses by at least 25! After Geno, the next 2 coaches are Tara and Muffet. Reality will be coming to Starkville if they play the Huskies this year!

Well he did beat 3 #1 seeds on the way to the title game last year.

Reaction Score
I can see this being just a little motivation for Uconn when they meet!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
While it’s been 7 weeks since AEH played her last game, it’s been only 3 weeks since she officially announced she was transferring, and just about a week since she released a list of schools. AEH made one visit to MS St on Monday, and yesterday she decided that’s where she was going. That’s not a lot of time or research involved in making a really important decision.

You have a different time line then I do. My understanding was she did not return from the Christmas break. I assumed she knew she was not returning, and began to consider a new school to enroll in. That's where I got my 7 week time frame from. Even though she announced it later, I'm assuming she began formulating a list during the Christmas break. She had a lot of idle time on her hands at that time. I'm not doubting your report that she took only one visit before committing. Again you appear to have information I don't. I was merely stating time frames. I guess it was love at first sight. No doubt Schaefer wanted her, and is a very persuasive salesman. No doubt he showed her a yellow brick road. I have not been following her activities that closely since she left. Thanks for the corrections.

Reaction Score
I don’t know where your daughter went, but my daughter also played in D3, at a perennial conference champion and NCAA winner. It was every bit as intense as a D1 program and the traveling was all over the Midwest. The only difference was no TV and no scholarships, with the crowds being larger than any one would see at most D1 games. It was a job, and by her junior year she had had enough. The fun was never there.

She only travels in New England. And just hoping to make the NCAAs. I mean, it’s hard work regardless of the division. The difference that I see is her traveling is done in one day unless on the weekend. She travels to Vermont and back in one night to be at class the next day. She also throws parties. Don’t think would happen if she were a a D1 or D2.

Reaction Score
With the AEH transfer, I think this is a great chance to bring up what a great job I think Schaefer is doing at MSU. With winning comes expectations and he’s setting MSU up to be a program that sticks.

They lose Vivians, Schaefer, Johnson and William this year, Vivians will be a first rounder for sure... McCowan is draft eligible but has stated on record that she’s staying. Interestingly enough, when Gray first transferred to SC she stated that she would finish her eligibility out at SC as well.. but later decided to leave for the draft once SC won it all and people got in her ear. What happens if MSU makes a deep run and people get in McCowan's ear? In my opinion, I think McCowan needs another year of development.

So let's say she returns.. next year's playing roster will include:

Teaira McCowan
Jazzmun Holmes
Jonika Garvin
Jordan Danberry (formerly of Arkansas)
Jacaira Allen
Zion Campbell
Myah Taylor
Nyah Tate
Bre'amber Scott
Chloe Bibby

Their freshmen class is a good one but no instant impact players IMO:

Daphne White
Jessika Carter
Xaria Wiggins
Brittany Davis

..and 1 ineligible transfer:

Andra Espinoza-Hunter

Now I'm bringing this all up for a reason. Mississippi State loses A LOT after this season. They lost a fair amount last season as well.. but this season they brought back their cohesiveness on offense.. Vivians, McCowan and the steady William.. so Coach Schaefer really just had to shore up his defense after losing Dillingham and Richardson. Losing this year's senior class will be tough but in my opinion the cupboard is far from bare in Starkville. They'll have the best post player in the SEC next season in McCowan, Holmes has proven she can run the offense and she'll be a senior, Chloe Bibby shows lots of promise as a stretch big and she'll be back, likely starting at the 4.. Jordan Danberry is interesting. She was pretty good at Arkansas and will likely be better under a competent coach at MSU. She's a pg so I wonder where she'll play.. whether as a backup pg, starting pg or at the 2-guard. Jacaira Allen, a player that SC recruited and I'm familiar with, is a tough bigger guard that I think may get the start at the 3 spot.

State has two guards from the 2017 class that I can't wait to see play in Myah Taylor and Nyah Tate.. I think the two of them will give them a big boost at guard and supply meaningful minutes off the bench. Taylor was the higher ranked guard but I think Tate will acclimate better to MSU's style of play.. Tate was very highly recruited herself.

Again, the cupboard is not bare in Starkville. Now, the reason for all of this? Scheduling...

Schaefer had perhaps his best team yet in Starkville this year and still scheduled pretty light on the OOC side of things... Oregon, Syracuse, Oklahoma State and Virginia. Oregon being the only elite team in that group but the rest were decent wins. They did catch a little bit of heat about their schedule too. Now State has arrived IMO, especially if they get back to the Final Four (they will have played in 2, just like SC)... it'll be interesting to see if Schaeffer starts to schedule more elite OOC programs next season?

As I started reading your post, for a minute I thought you were talking about your team. Switch a few names out and you have the story of the Gamecocks from last year to this year.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
As I started reading your post, for a minute I thought you were talking about your team. Switch a few names out and you have the story of the Gamecocks from last year to this year.

Yep, which was another point I was sneakily trying to make. I think Schaefer will have more pieces to work with next year but overall I think they'll take a slide similar to what SC took this year. Dawn maintained her aggressive scheduling even with a "lesser" team. I'll be watching to see what Schaefer does.

Reaction Score
“That was ridiculous,” Espinoza-Hunter said. “I don’t think I’ve ever been to a women’s basketball game with that many people before.”

South Carolina @ Miss State, February 5, 2018, attendance 10,794.

Notre Dame @ UConn, December 3, 2017, attendance 15,564
Now I really think AEH is not a good fit to UConn. Geno is right.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You have a different time line then I do. My understanding was she did not return from the Christmas break. I assumed she knew she was not returning, and began to consider a new school to enroll in. That's where I got my 7 week time frame from. Even though she announced it later, I'm assuming she began formulating a list during the Christmas break. She had a lot of idle time on her hands at that time. I'm not doubting your report that she took only one visit before committing. Again you appear to have information I don't. I was merely stating time frames. I guess it was love at first sight. No doubt Schaefer wanted her, and is a very persuasive salesman. No doubt he showed her a yellow brick road. I have not been following her activities that closely since she left. Thanks for the corrections.
OK that’s fine, she may well have been considering her options over the break. But no school should have contacted her until UConn officially announced her transfer, a little over 3 weeks ago, or they would be guilty of a recruiting violation. Approximately 1 week ago, AEH publically announced a half dozen schools she said was considering. Monday she makes her one and only visit. Tuesday she announced she’s going to MS St.

Contrast that decision with Jessica Shepard who visited numerous schools and only announced her intention to attend ND late in the spring.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Again hilarious. That article just makes me chuckle. I never saw her play defense once and clearly she wants to be a volume shooter and no one at UConn is allowed to be that much of a ball hog.....
So I just read the article and I was taken by AEH’s last comment that, “I love to compete.”

Really?

Reaction Score
Well he did beat 3 #1 seeds on the way to the title game last year.
Like I said What has he won? Nothing! No conference Championship, No Conference Tournament Championship and No NC! My response was about someone saying he is the 2nd best coach. Not better than Tara or MM thats for sure! Uconn will win by at least 25 if they play this year!

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
If it hasn't been since the late 90's that you have been through the Starkville area then it's a complete different place. The University alone has been through a complete transformation in just the past 5 years alone.
Yes but those god awful cowbells ruin everything nice.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Lock.jpg

Reaction Score
Amazing to see this thread about someone who was barely at Uconn to drag out this long.

Reaction Score
So I just read the article and I was taken by AEH’s last comment that, “I love to compete.”

Really?
If I were Vic Schaeffer I will tell AEH to keep as low profile as possible. Just look Rellah Boothe.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
that is an opinion :D
It is an opinion. I like Miss State teams, and they compete well in many sports. But those cowbells are just too deafening during football games. Glad they are not allowed for basketball. It was not intended to be an insult, but rather a plea for the sanity of fans . At a certain point, the noise is harmful to the system. And welcome to the BY!:)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Note to the poster whose posts are now gone: please stop making up stuff and posting it as a “fact”. Even the Amazing Kreskin can’t discern what someone “clearly wants” by watching her play 5 minutes of basketball.

I respectfully disagree with Biff. Time to lock this thread that’s heading straight down hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom