Analyzing Which Schools Could End Up Joining the ACC? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Analyzing Which Schools Could End Up Joining the ACC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If Texas and Oklahoma leave the Big 12, doesn't that make the American a P5 conference?

I could really see B12 dissolving by Oklahoma and Kansas deciding to cut the chord. Then Texas going independent.
I believe it is the most likely scenario of UConn being in a P5. ND is never joining the ACC and the B1G is not coming calling. The Big 12 goes away and remnants merge with AAC to form the newest P5.

Reaction Score
It may not happen...if the Irish are OK with never again being a national champion. I think that a perfect run would be required...and that may not be sufficient with one less game played than conference champs.

ND's administration and fan base are aware of the playoff scenarios. Unless conference champs only becomes the playoff system, ND is ok with the current setup.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
It really does make a lot of sense. And with my kid a student at Wake, I would enjoy the subsequent smack talk. We have already developed a shared animosity toward Duke.
Hey Geek, my daughter is a Wake grad. I get a little antsy with all the Wake put downs, it's a really good school, nice campus, excellent academics, and a competitive athletic department (we had some pretty good football games with them). I learned to hate all those pale blue teams a long time ago, Rod Sellers/Christian Laettner come to mind.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
All depends on how well Aresco negotiates our new deal.
I would suggest it is more dependent on how well AD Dave can negotiate our new Nike deal. That will be a lot bigger number to us annually.

pj

Reaction Score
I would suggest it is more dependent on how well AD Dave can negotiate our new Nike deal. That will be a lot bigger number to us annually.

And how well Edsall and Ollie can sell out their arenas and generate interest in national networks in picking up their games and donors in contributing.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I had to laugh when the guy listed our three "rivals" and BC wasn't mentioned once. They put Syracuse, Pitt, and ND as our three rivals? Not one mention of the fact that BC-UConn would be a renewed rivalry.

It's a real shame this all went down like it did. BC really screwed it. There really could have been something great between our two schools but they had to go and get all high and mighty and now we're stuck here screwed and they are basically the school the ACC wishes it could give back.....

Reaction Score
I had to laugh when the guy listed our three "rivals" and BC wasn't mentioned once. They put Syracuse, Pitt, and ND as our three rivals? Not one mention of the fact that BC-UConn would be a renewed rivalry.

It's a real shame this all went down like it did. BC really screwed it. There really could have been something great between our two schools but they had to go and get all high and mighty and now we're stuck here screwed and they are basically the school the ACC wishes it could give back.....
We are playing them in Football this fall, so that's a start. The ACC really wants the NY market, and UCONN gives them that in men's and women's basketball and a reinvigorated Football program. An added bonus is with the renewed rivalry with BC the ACC gets not only the NY market but the entire Northeast corridor from NY to Boston. It will help the football programs of both schools in many ways, and will also help BC basketball which is a joke now. I can see New England and other northeastern recruits taking serious looks again at both UCONN and BC.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Of course. And I thought that the image of Volvo driving, blue voting, latte sipping, northeastrn hipsters was just a caricature.

Now, I do type this from my jacked up four wheel drive, spitting Red Man into a paper cup while listening to Waylon and Willie and thumping out SEC, SEC on the steering wheel.
I'm a New England, Bernie Sanders voting, latte drinking , EV driving liberal, but if my employer didn't have free espresso drinks I'd make regular coffee at home or buy a lahge Dunkin' dahk roast, my EV is a Chevy and I have Willie Nelson's XM Sirius station on my presets.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm a New England, Bernie Sanders voting, latte drinking , EV driving liberal, but if my employer didn't have free espresso drinks I'd make regular coffee at home or buy a lahge Dunkin' dahk roast, my EV is a Chevy and I have Willie Nelson's XM Sirius station on my presets.

282a80b865dae64168105a5457173d1b.jpg

Reaction Score
Here in western North Carolina, we saw something that would be unheard of in Florida....the celebration of the middle school rifle team winning the district competition. Culture is different in the appalachians.

Across the border in Georgia we have the Mcaysville Drug and Guns...pistols and prozac. One stop shopping.

McCaysville Drug & Gun

Reaction Score
ND's administration and fan base are aware of the playoff scenarios. Unless conference champs only becomes the playoff system, ND is ok with the current setup.
The ND grads I work with say that most ND football fans are not all that interested in the football playoff. They would rather remain independent, even if it means no shot at the FB playoff. They would be just as happy going to a bowl game. So the chance of ND ever joining a conference is slim and none.

Reaction Score

Me, I'm the exact opposite...My car is a F350 Supercab, coffee made at the office, Trump supporter and wife's car is an Excursion with a V10. My oldest son's car is being restored a Ford GranTorino ... No small cars here...the prices are $2.35 a gallon....

Reaction Score
The ND grads I work with say that most ND football fans are not all that interested in the football playoff. They would rather remain independent, even if it means no shot at the FB playoff. They would be just as happy going to a bowl game. So the chance of ND ever joining a conference is slim and none.

I've never heard an ND fan say that. Most ND fans that I know say that they would only support joining a conference if it became apparent that joining a conference was the only way to make it into the FB playoff.

Reaction Score
I've never heard an ND fan say that. Most ND fans that I know say that they would only support joining a conference if it became apparent that joining a conference was the only way to make it into the FB playoff.
Yep, that is the stance among most people. Actually at least 90% I would say, minus the shut down the program (tiny) minority. We want to stay independent but not at all cost. But the good thing is that we are in a good position now and that is likely not to change in the short-term

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Me, I'm the exact opposite...My car is a F350 Supercab, coffee made at the office, Trump supporter and wife's car is an Excursion with a V10. My oldest son's car is being restored a Ford GranTorino ... No small cars here...the prices are $2.35 a gallon....

You do realize the gas at half the stations in CT is lower than that right? You keep posting it like gas prices here are triple?

The last station I went past was $2.29.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Is there nothing that you will not argue?

What is the argument?

A resident mouthbreather who constantly bashes CT wants to brag about his local gas prices which are the same or higher.

Is stupidity only allowed to be mocked when you are the one who does it?

Reaction Score
UConn should hire that writer. He made a better pitch than I have ever heard a UConn official make.

Reaction Score
UConn should hire that writer. He made a better pitch than I have ever heard a UConn official make.
I agree, but I think he could have hammered West Virginia much more on it's terrible academic reputation. Even Cinncinatti is questionable along those lines. The ACC already has one academic embarrassment in Louisville what with accreditation issues and hooker parties for recruits. I don't think they want another one. I think the ACC might even take UCONN now and fit them into the league somehow before the Big Ten does, wait out Notre Dame and start building on the NY to Boston corridor market.

Reaction Score
Hypothetical:

UConn football over the next four years goes:
17: 5-7
18: 7-6
19: 8-5
20: 9-4

UConn basketball over the next four years goes:
17: 20-10
18: 23-7
19: 22-8
20: 23-7

Football ticket sales boost up after Edsall's first season, and still bringing in more revenue than any other GO5 school by a mile.

At this point, when our football team is consistent four a long stretch, and basketball turns around back to usual, would this almost guarantee to be out of the American?

Reaction Score
Hypothetical:

UConn football over the next four years goes:
17: 5-7
18: 7-6
19: 8-5
20: 9-4

UConn basketball over the next four years goes:
17: 20-10
18: 23-7
19: 22-8
20: 23-7

Football ticket sales boost up after Edsall's first season, and still bringing in more revenue than any other GO5 school by a mile.

At this point, when our football team is consistent four a long stretch, and basketball turns around back to usual, would this almost guarantee to be out of the American?

I don't think on field performance is UConn's issue:
Football
'07: 9-4, conf title, bowl
'08: 8-5, bowl (bowl attendance record)
'09: 8-5, bowl (bowl attendance record)
'10: 8-5, conf title, Fiesta Bowl

Basketball
07-08: 24-9
08-09: 31-5, Final Four
09-10: 18-16
10-11: 32-9, National Champs

2011 realignment: Left Out

If CR was about merit from athletic performance, UConn would be in the P5.

Reaction Score
I don't think on field performance is UConn's issue:
Football
'07: 9-4, conf title, bowl
'08: 8-5, bowl (bowl attendance record)
'09: 8-5, bowl (bowl attendance record)
'10: 8-5, conf title, Fiesta Bowl

Basketball
07-08: 24-9
08-09: 31-5, Final Four
09-10: 18-16
10-11: 32-9, National Champs

2011 realignment: Left Out

If CR was about merit from athletic performance, UConn would be in the P5.
So whats our problem? Our revenue is 48th in the whole country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom