Analyzing Which Schools Could End Up Joining the ACC? | The Boneyard

Analyzing Which Schools Could End Up Joining the ACC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Actually a good and reasonable article. That being said, not going to hold my breathe. I just don't see UConn to the ACC happening even though it makes great sense.

Reaction Score
It really does make a lot of sense. And with my kid a student at Wake, I would enjoy the subsequent smack talk. We have already developed a shared animosity toward Duke.

Reaction Score
I'm curious if we could tread water until 2025. That's a lot of subsidies.

Reaction Score
I continue to assert that Texas and Oklahoma are the key to the next round of expansion.

As odd as it seems - I think the fortunes of UConn are indirectly affected by whatever conference it is that Texas winds up. It's self-evident that UConn has a long-term influence over either the ACC or the B1G viz-a-viz the NE Corridor, and, more specifically UConn's proximity to NYC.

The B12 failed to expand last summer after a ballyhooed announcement of impending expansion and solicitation from interested schools. I think that reversal portends difficulty for the B12 at the end of the B12 GOR in 2025-26.

If OU decided for the SEC and Texas refused to follow OU into the SEC, I think there are persuasive reasons to believe that Texas would go ACC, especially if the ACC were willing to expand to 20, allowing Texas to bring in some "friends", comprising some western regionality.

For example, regional schools like TCU (Metroplex), Houston (Greater Houston), and either Tulane or Oklahoma State might fill the bill.

Furthermore, if OU were gone, there might be other reasons suggesting Texas to the ACC. Like many other schools, Texas is enamored of ND and its national following. If ND went "all in" ACC, that would probably be very important. Also, almost certainly here comes UConn, and its proximity to NYC, which would please both Texas and ND (plus, I'm thinking, all the rest of the ACC, except, perhaps, BC).

Now we're up to 17 in the ACC, leaving 3 spots for regional "friends" of Texas, discussed above. Certainly UConn is in any ACC mix of schools in any move to 20; indeed, if the ACC is willing to go to 20.

Having said all this, I like Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, and UConn in the B1G scenario much better than the ACC scenario - and I think the B1G scenario is more likely - but here's the big point: The next round of serious expansion will be driven by Texas and Oklahoma. I think that's a near certainty. Any analysis of 20s expansion that does not take into account Texas and Oklahoma is, IMO, seriously flawed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Texas in the acc? Never heard that one before...That is a new one for sure. lol.

pj

Reaction Score
I continue to assert that Texas and Oklahoma are the key to the next round of expansion.

As odd as it seems - I think the fortunes of UConn are indirectly affected by whatever conference it is that Texas winds up. It's self-evident that UConn has a long-term influence over either the ACC or the B1G viz-a-viz the NE Corridor, and, more specifically UConn's proximity to NYC.

The B12 failed to expand last summer after a ballyhooed announcement of impending expansion and solicitation from interested schools. I think that reversal portends difficulty for the B12 at the end of the B12 GOR in 2025-26.

If OU decided for the SEC and Texas refused to follow OU into the SEC, I think there are persuasive reasons to believe that Texas would go ACC, especially if the ACC were willing to expand to 20, allowing Texas to bring in some "friends", comprising some western regionality.

For example, regional schools like TCU (Metroplex), Houston (Greater Houston), and either Tulane or Oklahoma State might fill the bill.

Furthermore, if OU were gone, there might be other reasons suggesting Texas to the ACC. Like many other schools, Texas is enamored of ND and its national following. If ND went "all in" ACC, that would probably be very important. Also, almost certainly here comes UConn, and its proximity to NYC, which would please both Texas and ND (plus, I'm thinking, all the rest of the ACC, except, perhaps, BC).

Now we're up to 17 in the ACC, leaving 3 spots for regional "friends" of Texas, discussed above. Certainly UConn is in any ACC mix of schools in any move to 20; indeed, if the ACC is willing to go to 20.

Having said all this, I like Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, and UConn in the B1G scenario much better than the ACC scenario - and I think the B1G scenario is more likely - but here's the big point: The next round of serious expansion will be driven by Texas and Oklahoma. I think that's a near certainty. Any analysis of 20s expansion that does not take into account Texas and Oklahoma is, IMO, seriously flawed.

I agree that Texas is tied to ESPN and their most likely destination is the ACC. Doubt they'd want to follow A&M to the SEC and risk a lasting follower status. The ACC would willingly accommodate a continuation of the Longhorn Network, and LHN air time could be a way for Texas to give a consolation prize to the Texas schools it is abandoning in a weakened B12, while strengthening the network in Texas.

I agree Oklahoma would accept a B1G or SEC offer if it came.

UConn is probably Notre Dame's pair to the ACC if Notre Dame joins, but Notre Dame has no need to join.

If the B12 falls apart, I suspect UConn and Kansas might find a place in the B1G. That would get them to 16 which is a convenient number for football. Not sure the B1G would be excited about going to 18, although an Oklahoma Texas combo for 17 and 18 would be too good to turn down. I just don't see Texas spurning ESPN/ACC.

Reaction Score
The real question is why is Wake Forest in the Acc.
Temple won your conference last year, and then Wake beat them in the bowl game. Oh yeah, that Wake.

Reaction Score
Temple won your conference last year, and then Wake beat them in the bowl game. Oh yeah, that Wake.
A Temple team that lost their coach before that game. And while they may have won the conference, Temple very well could have been the 5th best team in the conference. The only good teams they played in regular season conference play were USF (Win at home) and Memphis (Loss away)

Reaction Score
A Temple team that lost their coach before that game. And while they may have won the conference, Temple very well could have been the 5th best team in the conference. The only good teams they played in regular season conference play were USF (Win at home) and Memphis (Loss away)
But still, that Wake. The Wake of Chris Paul and Tim Duncan. The Wake that went to the Orange Bowl 10 years ago. Wake has had its struggles, but it also has its history.

UConn shouldn't just be judged on last season either.

Reaction Score
I bleed blue, but both Wake football and hoop were more entertaining to watch this year. Much more.

Reaction Score
I think that UConn and Notre Dame as #15 and 16 and then splitting into North-South divisions would be great. Regional alignment more conducive to rivalries.

A few bumps in the road....

1....The Irish must join.

2....the North Division would have to give up games in Florida.

3....the South Division would have to give up games with Notre Dame

4....getting Virginia to leave their Duke, UNC buddies to play in the North Divisions

Reaction Score
I'm from CT. I drive a Volvo.

Of course. And I thought that the image of Volvo driving, blue voting, latte sipping, northeastrn hipsters was just a caricature.

Now, I do type this from my jacked up four wheel drive, spitting Red Man into a paper cup while listening to Waylon and Willie and thumping out SEC, SEC on the steering wheel.

Reaction Score
I think that UConn and Notre Dame as #15 and 16 and then splitting into North-South divisions would be great. Regional alignment more conducive to rivalries.

A few bumps in the road....

1....The Irish must join.

2....the North Division would have to give up games in Florida.

3....the South Division would have to give up games with Notre Dame

4....getting Virginia to leave their Duke, UNC buddies to play in the North Divisions
Good luck with that, short of a Papal bull (decree) it ain't happening .

Reaction Score
It may not happen...if the Irish are OK with never again being a national champion. I think that a perfect run would be required...and that may not be sufficient with one less game played than conference champs.

Reaction Score
If Texas and Oklahoma leave the Big 12, doesn't that make the American a P5 conference?

I could really see B12 dissolving by Oklahoma and Kansas deciding to cut the chord. Then Texas going independent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom