Amore: Crumbling Connecticut Foundation? Kevin Ollie Under Scrutiny With UConn Men | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Amore: Crumbling Connecticut Foundation? Kevin Ollie Under Scrutiny With UConn Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I doubt he is expressing anything in private - since there appears to be very little if any communication.
That would be sad and scary if true. I would imagine though, at some point, Calhoun expressed some criticism or Ollie wouldn't be trying to distance himself from the Calhoun era.

If, and this is a big IF, Ollie can no longer handle criticism from his biggest mentor, he is way off the rails and is probably in an unrecoverable spin. Time will tell and it will be sad if true.

Reaction Score
Based on that article, I believe Benedict better see some results from Chillious. $350k is for his recruiting ability. He already has experience and all his connections, so unlike Ollie he won't be given 6 years to figure out how to do his job.
I'm not sure he is being paid the same amount as Miller. But he is Miller's replacement, so yes better (not similar) results are expected. Miller was a coach/recruiter, I hope Chillious wears both hats as well.

pj

Reaction Score
I was simply citing the differences between the three people, their quotes, and how they change between Jacobs and Amore's pieces.

So to recap:

• Calhoun said, "He's a terrific basketball coach, he's a good person," Calhoun said. "We've had a loyal relationship since he started with the program, trying to get his degree after playing for me at Northeastern and playing here at UConn. Glen Miller is a pretty special guy. I don't run the program, Kevin does and Kevin made a decision and he's the head coach. As a basketball man, [Miller] is going to help any program he goes to. He's good, he's great with the kids, he's smart, one of the best X's and O's guys I ever had.
  • Ollie said, "I'm not saying [Raphael] Chillious is better than Glen [Miller]. He gives me something different in my career that I need now. I haven't told the players to leave that decided to transfer. I did not tell them to leave. But I wanted them to know a clear picture of how this culture is going to move forward, and if they wanted to be a part of it."
  • Miller said, "Needless to say, the change came as a total shock to me and I am very disappointed," Miller told The Courant in a text. "I'm grateful for the opportunities Coach Calhoun provided me and I'm proud of my contributions to the program's success during my long tenure at UConn. But ultimately, this is a business and I can't let what didn't work out steal my sense of value."
I know JC vouched for Chillious way back, but according to Calhoun KO fired his best basketball mind on his bench for an unproven basketball coach. Miller thought he had job security, despite the poor season. Pretty clear there is a lack of communication within the program, and that starts with KO. The question why goes back to my original post, is something else going on?

It's pretty clear thinking.

JC is Miller's primary reference and he's going to say great things about him.

KO was always going to have to transition from being JCs protege to being his own man. That can lead to tension with the old mentor.

I think the article confirms that KO's divorce had a big effect emotionally and led to withdrawal and under communication with JC, with coaches (Miller shocked), with players (transfers surprised him), and recruits (MAL surprise). KO needs to get over that, communicate more, and love his players better.

But - divorce is a one time thing and so is rising the head coach learning curve and overcoming the legacy of a legendary coach. KO can still follow the Belichek coaching trajectory.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Well clearly that would be an upgrade. My primary criticism of Ollie has been that he doesn't seem to have the grasp on the college game that he needs. He knows basketball. But I think he's been blindsided on the recruiting side, he has run systems that don't translate well at this level, and he's assumed a level of professionalism and dedication from players that he himself has. He's treating this too much like the NBA.

So what has he done about it? He brought in two guys who have the kind of experience with recruiting wars that is needed. Maybe they also bring some perspective on player evaluation as well, I hope so. That's 2 out of 3, with some optimism. If he changes up his system, then I think we are 3 for 3.

As for Ricky, he was reportedly upset at being passed over while I think he's under qualified for his current job. Send him off to be the #2 at a smaller school and get HC experience after that. I think he could be terrific. I loved him as a player. But coaching is about much, much more than being able to play. Most of the top coaches have guys on their bench who were head coaches elsewhere. Calipari does. Self does. JC always did.

Thing is, ollie had one too but just fired him.

It's funny, but everyone says ollie needs an x's and o's guy.... And they just fired him. Can't keep anyone happy it seems.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score

It's funny, but everyone says ollie needs an x's and o's guy.... And they just fired him. Can't keep anyone happy it seems.
That's really only true if you take a two sentence quote from JC sticking up for his guy as absolute fact.

I definitely stand firm that Chillious is an upgrade from Miller, how it was handled is a different issue though it seems, but sometimes when a valuable commodity enters the free market, you don't have time to make graceful changes.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
How do you handle firing a guy?

You do it quickly and give the guy as much time to land on his feet as possible.

I'm sure Miller was surprised and I'm sure he was hurt. That sucks, but Ollie did it the right way.

Calhoun is also right for talking up his guy, but I think we have a better staff now than we did a month ago.

Reaction Score
The JC-Ollie stuff doesn't surprise me one bit. I've told the story before, but it bears repeating. After the great job KO did in 12-13, when asked how surprised he was by the great job KO did, Coach Calhoun told me it's a lot easier to win when you've got no pressure on you. I was shocked he didn't compliment his hand picked successor but instead seemed to resent the attention KO got for taking a team not eligible for postseason to such a high level. It was odd to say the least, so I'd put a fair amount of the strain in the relationship on JC actually. It's unfathomable that KO would just resist mentoring from such an incredible resource.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

He's the HC. He needs to be the X's and O's guy. He just needs to do it differently. If these new guys can push him in that direction, great. My guess, and that's all it is, is that he plans to run a higher pressure defense and score more in transition and less in the half court. That seems to be the team he's building.

Reaction Score
The transfers and MAL's change of heart occurred because based on what they'd seen of the program, it was no longer the UConn they'd grown up watching. The irony is that THEY were among the individuals that were charged with keeping UConn successful. Ollie rose to the top of Calhoun's subordinates, though he is by no means Calhoun. He is fighting to improve at his craft, and as long as he does, he will continue to improve and may even be great someday. Unfortunately, UConn Nation rightly demands that someday be today, and Tubbs, Cronin, Dawkins, Sampson, and apparently SMU's new coach seem to be more seasoned than KO right now, simply because of more and/or better experience.

Reaction Score
How many years has it been that we've been told the team will use more pressure defense (Henefeld years) and run more (Donny Marshall years)? Never happens and now with the game changing, it may be even tougher. Today's reality is if you don't have 2-3 pretty good 3-ball shooters, you're always at the risk of struggling.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
They won't return to a pressure defense and they don't have the talent or depth to run - as per the recent script, UConn will play however the opponent dictates.

Not a lot of shooters here at the moment. Next year will be a grind.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
They won't return to a pressure defense and they don't have the talent or depth to run - as per the recent script, UConn will play however the opponent dictates.

I wish someone would have the balls to call out Fishy for not being 100% positive, just once.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I wish someone would have the balls to call out Fishy for not being 100% positive, just once.

There are a couple of whiny twits that follow me like remoras lately - I forget their names, but they'll pop up.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

c22dd4376c7b9668be105867a86900ef.jpg

Reaction Score
I will never get this energy argument that so many people have about KO. I don't want to pick on you Danzz because plenty of people said it during the year. Why does he have to be in a defensive stance all game? There are hundreds of coaches (Coach K, Self, literally every coach I can think of actually) that are stoic on the sidelines and are not jumping up and down. This doesn't really help win games, and if anything there are times during the season where I see Ollie more animated than every coach in America.
He doesn't have to be in any stance but that was what he did when we were winning and the difference is really the point. If he were stoic from the beginning it would be fine and nobody would notice the difference. And you are right, jumping up and down doesn't win games but when you see a marked difference it makes fans wonder why especially when the new behavior is accompanied by losses. I really believe that his divorce as a big factor.
I'm an Ollie fan so I want him to stay at UConn and I'm hoping the recent turmoil passes.

Reaction Score
He doesn't have to be in any stance but that was what he did when we were winning and the difference is really the point. If he were stoic from the beginning it would be fine and nobody would notice the difference. And you are right, jumping up and down doesn't win games but when you see a marked difference it makes fans wonder why especially when the new behavior is accompanied by losses. I really believe that his divorce as a big factor.
I'm an Ollie fan so I want him to stay at UConn and I'm hoping the recent turmoil passes.

I remember KO distinctly getting very into the game in this exact fashion against Auburn this season. Pretty sure ESPN cameras spent a couple seconds split screening on him & the game being very animated and playing defense from the sideline.

Reaction Score

Out of all the boneyard myths this has got to be the most ridiculous. Kevin Ollie has, and always was animated on the sidelines. I go to every single home game. His demeanor in-game has changed minimally at most.

Reaction Score
Just win a couple of close games wins last yr n the outlook would have changed. We lost every close game n always seen to lose the 50/50 ball. I always suspect that there was major chemistry problems with the current team. I actually blame the departing players, not Ollie or Miller. Enoch wanting to transfer after 4 games n Jackson's family drama in December doom the chemistry all yr long. Now we all know who Rodney's twitter about fake love is directed at. The seniors n that includes the frontline players had major issues with the work ethic of the 3 departing players. They made no effort in the film room, little effort on defense n was whining all yr. Getting rid of them will mean more wins. Enoch personally cost us big wins against Ohio state n Georgetown with his defense. If last yr's team had 13 healthy scholarship players. They would have won more then 20 games.

Reaction Score
Ask JC who has the better coaching credentials, Miller or Chillious? KO is all-in on a guy who is supposed to be a great recruiter. The only way to pay for him was to fire the only real experienced coach on the bench.

Not saying you're wrong. Just wondering why no one has questioned why it was Miller whom had to be sacrificed to make room for Chillious? Why not Ricky? Or Kill? Yeah I get that you can't hire Killings after just bringing him aboard. But why Miller instead of Ricky? Havent seen this question asked.
Moving on from that query, I'd say that KO was being completely honest in the article. KO is of the belief that Chillious will bring to KO's staff specific capabilities that will ultimately produce better results on the floor than what Miller brought. Does that mean KO believes Chillious is a better coach? I don't know. But I do know that KO must firmly believe that Chillious will move the program forward more than Miller can.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Not saying you're wrong. Just wondering why no one has questioned why it was Miller whom had to be sacrificed to make room for Chillious? Why not Ricky? Or Kill? Yeah I get that you can't hire Killings after just bringing him aboard. But why Miller instead of Ricky? Havent seen this question asked.

Money and position.

Chillious isn't going to join a staff for $125,000 as the second or third assistant.

He's going to come in at big money and he's going to come in at the associate head coach level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom