Amore: Crumbling Connecticut Foundation? Kevin Ollie Under Scrutiny With UConn Men | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Amore: Crumbling Connecticut Foundation? Kevin Ollie Under Scrutiny With UConn Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This article does point to one thing that most of us can agree upon - and would that not be a miracle after all the slings and arrows going back and forth on practically every thread?

Athletic Direct Dave Benedict is quickly showing himself to be the BEST Athletic Director we have had since... Lew Perkins? If he is here long enough to actually help us land in a P5 in the next round of expansion (still a pipe dream, I know), he will hands down be the best ever.

These have certainly been trying times for many of our teams, not just the basketball team. So what have we seen from AD David Benedict that gives us hope that we might just have our best Athletic Director ever? In addition to his willingness to try and implement innovative ideas to re-engage our disconnected fan base.

He gives his head coaches time, and plenty of rope to show that they are willing to do the things necessary to improve when things are not going well. Hence, KO will be given at least one more year, if not two, to turn this ship around. Meanwhile, if the coach refuses to acknowledge problems and show a willingness to learn and improve (and yes, I am referring directly to that delusional moron we had running our football program for the last 3 years) AD David Benedict is willing to switch course and cut bait. Relatively quickly and decisively. In less than a month he went from giving Diaco another chance to firing him... and finding a way to pay for that ridiculous buy-out (that at least dropped to a somewhat more workable number on January 1st) at the same time.

And when he was initially jumped on by many fans and the media for the "unimaginative, overly safe" re-hire of Randy Edsall, none of us realized that he and Randy had already been talking and were ready to put a plan in motion that netted us two of the best young coordinators in all of college football - and at a discount price, to boot!

Now we learn that he has been actively and intimately involved with the changes in direction of the basketball program. Has he only had discussions with Kevin to get his and only his perspective on the problems currently facing the basketball team? No. He talked to everyone involved, including all of the players transferring. Now THAT is the sign of excellent leadership.

In retrospect, you can say his early record is tarnished at least a little by the extension he gave KO before the beginning of this year - but knowing the reality of the situation at that time I do not think any of us can honestly say that we would have done different. The NBA has been continually knocking on KO's door, and Benedict had to figure he was doing the right thing by staying out ahead of it and extending Kevin's contract for the continuity of the program.

All in all, he deserves at least an A- for the job he has done so far. This at a time when we are desperate for a leader with a firm hand and yet also a deft touch to lead us through these tumultuous times. If only we had him as our AD instead of Jeff Hathaway 6 years ago, I think we would probably be in a far different (and better) place already.

Reaction Score
This thread is hysteria. I can't believe we still have 7 months to go before these kids even get the opportunity to make people shut #%^ up.

Big Miller fan, but this is the test seven months from now.......KO succeeds with who he has......great.......doesn't he takes all the blame....no excuses for transfers or injuries he needs to show vast improvement.........KO closes the deal on recruits and signs off on them......not Miller or Chillous....its KO's show

And since I am a UCONN fan I hope he is successful

Reaction Score
Ollie has been a different coach since his divorce: less animated on the sideline and appears to be less energetic. Remember when he used lay D the entire game? KO has the talent and experience to be the UConn coach for a long time. But losing creates all sorts of problems and we saw that this year with the transfers. BTW, of the 3 transfers only Jackson performed decently and that is on the players not the coach.
KO gets a pass from me for last season because of all the injuries but we need to see more energy and better results next season or we may be looking for a new coach. KO is a high character guy and I'm pulling for him to turn things around.

Reaction Score
Ollie has been a different coach since his divorce: less animated on the sideline and appears to be less energetic. Remember when he used lay D the entire game? KO has the talent and experience to be the UConn coach for a long time. But losing creates all sorts of problems and we saw that this year with the transfers. BTW, of the 3 transfers only Jackson performed decently and that is on the players not the coach.
KO gets a pass from me for last season because of all the injuries but we need to see more energy and better results next season or we may be looking for a new coach. KO is a high character guy and I'm pulling for him to turn things around.

I will never get this energy argument that so many people have about KO. I don't want to pick on you Danzz because plenty of people said it during the year. Why does he have to be in a defensive stance all game? There are hundreds of coaches (Coach K, Self, literally every coach I can think of actually) that are stoic on the sidelines and are not jumping up and down. This doesn't really help win games, and if anything there are times during the season where I see Ollie more animated than every coach in America.

Reaction Score
Big Miller fan, but this is the test seven months from now..KO succeeds with who he has.great..doesn't he takes all the blame....no excuses for transfers or injuries he needs to show vast improvement....KO closes the deal on recruits and signs off on them.not Miller or Chillous....its KO's show

And since I am a UConn fan I hope he is successful
Ollie is going all in on himself. I'm rooting for him and think he can right the ship but if he doesn't turn it around soon Benedict has shown enough of his hand to let everyone know what happens if UConn basketball doesn't return to being UConn basketball.

Reaction Score
My first three thoughts while reading the article:
1) KO is in trouble and has to solve this quickly or he is gone. AD's don't interview all players normally.
2) This article ain't helping point #1 and recruiting
3) What an amazing POS the courant website is. Feel bad for the writers.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Interesting article. Can Ollie turn it around? I kind of fall into the 'you are either a good college basketball coach or you're not' camp. I think Calhoun could surround himself with a bunch of turnips assistants and still pump out winning teams. I like that Ollie is making changes and being introspective, but is he truly capable of building and maintaining a successful college basketball program? The next few months and year will be interesting for sure.

No offense, but that's a dumb mentality. Coaching is a skill. Learning and growth is a huge part of the profession. By the logic above, you never would have hired Bill Belichick given his performance in Cleveland.

Reaction Score
My first three thoughts while reading the article:
1) KO is in trouble and has to solve this quickly or he is gone. AD's don't interview all players normally.
2) This article ain't helping point #1 and recruiting
3) What an amazing POS the courant website is. Feel bad for the writers.

This^^^^^ especially 2) and 3)

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I've been mocked and called a fake fan for the past 6 months even though I haven't missed a UConn game I could watch for the past 30 years and have close to 20,000 posts on a UConn message board. People mocking and calling me a fake fan feels like grade school behavior, IMO.

You are a liar. You have just over 16.3k posts. 20,000+ likes. Idiot.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
This^^^^^ especially 2) and 3)

To be fair, it's not HC's job to help with recruiting, it's to sell papers. People want to read inside stuff like that.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Not me - just a bunch of guys you like inferring and assuming whatever you want. Head bang

It was a general comment. You brought in other people to the discussion, so I commented on the general tone of that group.

Have no idea what you specifically been posting over the past couple months.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
You mix up the people who were down on Miller because of agendas (chief) with the people who just wanted to see a competent basketball program. Ask JC who has the better coaching credentials, Miller or Chillious? KO is all-in on a guy who is supposed to be a great recruiter. The only way to pay for him was to fire the only real experienced coach on the bench.

Basically, KO needs to fire Ricky, and hire Larry Brown. That's where we're at.

And I don't believe KO is some recruiting god either. We've missed on way to many recruits for that to be the case. I think Chillious is likely way better.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It's probably more that people believe MAL opted out because Coach Family axed the guy who was his main recruiter, and instead of creating a spot for Waters to then come in it's left us even more in the hole. Having said that, if the staff pulls a five star rabbit out of its ass this weekend this thread may as well be locked.

I don't think Waters had anything to do with it. And you are underselling Cooley's role in this whole thing.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
This is un-goshdarn-believable.

I spent a full season reading on this very board about how Miller was absolutely useless on the recruiting trail and how he was responsible for our complete lack of big man development. I spent 3 seasons reading how Ollie was surrounding himself with an echo chamber of yes-men and that he needed to go outside the UConn family; that we're hamstringing ourselves by gifting jobs on the coaching staff to former Huskies, and we need to be hiring the best possible coaches no matter where they played their college ball.

So now Ollie firing Miller is Yet Another Awful Decision That's Means There Is Something Terrible Going On Behind The Scenes. What utter garbage.
I was simply citing the differences between the three people, their quotes, and how they change between Jacobs and Amore's pieces.

So to recap:

• Calhoun said, "He's a terrific basketball coach, he's a good person," Calhoun said. "We've had a loyal relationship since he started with the program, trying to get his degree after playing for me at Northeastern and playing here at UConn. Glen Miller is a pretty special guy. I don't run the program, Kevin does and Kevin made a decision and he's the head coach. As a basketball man, [Miller] is going to help any program he goes to. He's good, he's great with the kids, he's smart, one of the best X's and O's guys I ever had.
  • Ollie said, "I'm not saying [Raphael] Chillious is better than Glen [Miller]. He gives me something different in my career that I need now. I haven't told the players to leave that decided to transfer. I did not tell them to leave. But I wanted them to know a clear picture of how this culture is going to move forward, and if they wanted to be a part of it."
  • Miller said, "Needless to say, the change came as a total shock to me and I am very disappointed," Miller told The Courant in a text. "I'm grateful for the opportunities Coach Calhoun provided me and I'm proud of my contributions to the program's success during my long tenure at UConn. But ultimately, this is a business and I can't let what didn't work out steal my sense of value."
I know JC vouched for Chillious way back, but according to Calhoun KO fired his best basketball mind on his bench for an unproven basketball coach. Miller thought he had job security, despite the poor season. Pretty clear there is a lack of communication within the program, and that starts with KO. The question why goes back to my original post, is something else going on?

It's pretty clear thinking.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I don't think Waters had anything to do with it. And you are underselling Cooley's role in this whole thing.
It was more of a read on the board's collective mood of what went down in the past month. The Cooley thing just popped up this week, and I would respect KO even more if he called him about by name.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Basically, KO needs to fire Ricky, and hire Larry Brown. That's where we're at.

And I don't believe KO is some recruiting god either. We've missed on way to many recruits for that to be the case. I think Chillious is likely way better.

Well clearly that would be an upgrade. My primary criticism of Ollie has been that he doesn't seem to have the grasp on the college game that he needs. He knows basketball. But I think he's been blindsided on the recruiting side, he has run systems that don't translate well at this level, and he's assumed a level of professionalism and dedication from players that he himself has. He's treating this too much like the NBA.

So what has he done about it? He brought in two guys who have the kind of experience with recruiting wars that is needed. Maybe they also bring some perspective on player evaluation as well, I hope so. That's 2 out of 3, with some optimism. If he changes up his system, then I think we are 3 for 3.

As for Ricky, he was reportedly upset at being passed over while I think he's under qualified for his current job. Send him off to be the #2 at a smaller school and get HC experience after that. I think he could be terrific. I loved him as a player. But coaching is about much, much more than being able to play. Most of the top coaches have guys on their bench who were head coaches elsewhere. Calipari does. Self does. JC always did.

Reaction Score
Always thought Dom Amore was just mailing it in ... and WE have had wonderful basketball writers over the last 20 years. He sucks.

My view is the KO is his own man. He took this legacy culture - Hobbs, Miller et al - and it wasn't working for him. He is a darn persuasive recruiter and an able evaluator. But WE needed change ... and boy did we get it. He is really laying this on the line. I have NO doubt that Calhoun and 20 other UConn stakeholders weigh in with Kevin. He never seems to waiver from the Culture. I am adamantly behind KO in this coming year ... he needs to prove himself. Those that are whining are entitled curmodgeounly brats. The next chapter of MBB will be quite interesting.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
You add no balance whatsoever you are a completely blind Homer.
Stupid statement from the dolt who called me a snowflake
All you do lately is call people names and make negative remarks about anyone who disagrees with your condescending attitude towards KO

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This thread is hysteria. I can't believe we still have 7 months to go before these kids even get the opportunity to make people shut #%^ up.
Praise the Lord!!!!
Thank you

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks that going through a divorce isn't a life changing and extremely stressful , 100 times more so if minor children are involved, has never been through it. The divorce is actually the easy part. The day to day BS is what weighs you down, especially when the other party violates the divorce agreement (which usually happens in small ways everyday), you fight over money, time with the kids etc. I'm living it and it's all consuming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom