Amari? Did we forget about her? | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Amari? Did we forget about her?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
At least once, Stewie's last year.
I'm not sure that's really such a case. Though Stewie is not a classic big, she was an intimidator on D with those long arms at 6'4". She didn't win the usual shoving matches all that often, but she didn't really need to.

I'm thinking more of the 2002 team that went undefeated. They didn't have a classic "big post" player. It was Swin and Tamika in the post, and they weren't more than 6'2"

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Here’s a different (but related) question: have we ever won it all without a classic “big post”? Maybe it’s okay if Dorka graduates and Amari doesn’t crack the starting lineup and all we have in the post is Aaliyah Ayanna and Ice.
At least once, Stewie's last year.
It is all relative: The 02-03 champions had Willnett Crockett ( Fr) and Jessica Moore (RS So) as post players.
The 03-04 champions also had Willnett Crockett ( So) , Jessica Moore (RS Jr) and Barbara Turner (So) as post players.
Although they were relatively young if the young Willnett Crockett, Jessica Moore or Barbara Turner were playing with this version of UCONN they would would combine for about 50+ player minutes per game and each would be contending for a starting spot.

Reaction Score
Although they were relatively young...
... and not 6'5". That's what I meant by a classic "big post." We have won it all a few times with no one over 6'3", and at least once with no one over 6'2". Moore and Turner and Crockett... and Cash and Jones and Williams, and even Charles (listed as 6'3" in college, 6'4" in the W), all played the post. And they won against teams with larger posts. Of course, this also depended on outstanding guard play.

Reaction Score
She is way more important now than she was a little while ago. Hopefully there is some fire in her game now.

Reaction Score
She is way more important now than she was a little while ago. Hopefully there is some fire in her game now.
If Amari doesn’t show vast improvement I think Connecticut will be looking for a big in next year’s portal. He may find another big coming from high school but that person probably won’t be ready for big time play next year.

Reaction Score
I think he's always looking for bigs. They're just too rare not to be on the lookout for them. That doesn't mean they all pan out. And sometimes the best "bigs" aren't all that tall. I think Ice will turn out to be one of these.

Reaction Score
U Conn is still in the running for El Alfy, who would join the team in January, giving her a head start for next season.

Reaction Score
Why?
I think that kids fall in love with the idea of playing at UCONN and are at times caught off guard by the reality of the level of commitment, effort, and focus required. And then, there are the academic and social adjustments. If you're not ready mentally (maturity) and physically out the gate, then it may require a longer period to get on solid ground.

Last year, I never got the sense that there was any expectation that she demonstrated any more than what we saw. When she did play last year, I thought it was mostly about getting her feet wet and keeping her engaged with the team. I don't think we'll see her putting up 3-pointers. I just think she wasn't ready and she knew it and the coaches knew it. I recall reading something Geno said and it was high praise about what she could do, but obviously for some reason still wasn't ready.

I'm nowhere as invested in following everything these players have done between this and last year as some, but I see and hear enough. Looks like she hung around this summer, worked on conditioning, and seems more mature. I didn't see a hard press to look for another BIG BIG in the offseason so I sense there's a quiet confidence that her basketball skills are the real deal.

This is what my gut is telling me.

Reaction Score
What concerns me is Geno has not mentioned her one time in any presser.
Interesting. Though I must admit, lately I haven't watched any of his pressers. I've seen quotes on here, but haven't actually listened.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I think he's always looking for bigs. They're just too rare not to be on the lookout for them. That doesn't mean they all pan out. And sometimes the best "bigs" aren't all that tall. I think Ice will turn out to be one of these.
Doggie, I agree 100%. Unfortunately, BIGS don’t historically flock to UConn (I wish they did). I agree with you about Ice Brady. I can’t put my finger on it, but I can see Ice becoming a better-than-average post-player.

She’ll hit the ground running next year knowing the system and being another year older. She’ll spend time in the next 12 months (as her health and rehabilitation allow) in the weight room getting stronger. I think Ice will be a better more productive player next year than she would have been this year.

Next year’s team should be extremely formidable as they take the court at full strength. I’m excited about this year’s team, but I’m even more excited about next year’s team. This team can do some great things if it plays up to its potential and stays healthy. Should be a fun ride.

Carnac

Reaction Score
If Amari doesn’t show vast improvement I think Connecticut will be looking for a big in next year’s portal. He may find another big coming from high school but that person probably won’t be ready for big time play next year.
Remember the two things Geno says about freshmen. 1. They become sophmores. 2. If they haven’t “got it” by their sophomore year, they never will. I’ve got everything crossed for Amari hoping things “click” for her, and she has a memorable season. She has the physical tools and athleticism to be successful at this level. She can be as good as she wants to be. I’ll be on the front row of Amari’s cheering section with some over-sized pom poms leading the cheers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The portal could be the only alternative for another playable C type for next year, if Amari doesn't deliver this year. The high school bigs have mostly decided, or we are not in the hunt. Next year's candidates for the 5 are Ice and Amari. Ice is recovering from injury, has no game experience, and may be a better 4 than 5, but can play the 5.

Since she will have a chance to show something this year, by next year Amari will either be part of the answer at the 5, or an afterthought that is not part of the plan. If the later picking up a C in the portal will be critical. Even if Amari looks like the real deal and you have confidence in Ice next year, I still would pursue a decent contingency backup, perhaps a grad transfer with experience that if needed could hold down the fort when injuries hit.

We believe that Uconn pursued several bigs in the 2023 class. We had success recruiting at positions 1-3, but have not landed another big, particularly C type. Unless I am missing something, we have one big hope left, namely El Alfy from abroad. She seems to have enough talent to be play significant minutes in her freshmen year, and take some if not most of the C minutes next year. If we don't get her, and Amari disappoints the portal will be a necessity. If we do get her, and Amari comes up big, we probably have nothing to worry about.

Reaction Score
The week before her injury, Auriemma's comments about Ice , all but insured her spot as the # 2 behind Dorka. Unless DeBerry takes a trip to Lourdes, Ice will be the #1 next season.

Reaction Score
I feel no immediacy in acquiring another “big”.
Have Aaliyah for this year and next.
Ice for at least 3 more seasons (4?)
Amari for 3 more
Ayanna for this year and three more.
If we could pick up someone “special” in the next year or two- fine.
If not, no panic.
JMHO

Reaction Score
The portal could be the only alternative for another playable C type for next year, if Amari doesn't deliver this year. The high school bigs have mostly decided, or we are not in the hunt. Next year's candidates for the 5 are Ice and Amari. Ice is recovering from injury, has no game experience, and may be a better 4 than 5, but can play the 5.

Since she will have a chance to show something this year, by next year Amari will either be part of the answer at the 5, or an afterthought that is not part of the plan. If the later picking up a C in the portal will be critical. Even if Amari looks like the real deal and you have confidence in Ice next year, I still would pursue a decent contingency backup, perhaps a grad transfer with experience that if needed could hold down the fort when injuries hit.

We believe that Uconn pursued several bigs in the 2023 class. We had success recruiting at positions 1-3, but have not landed another big, particularly C type. Unless I am missing something, we have one big hope left, namely El Alfy from abroad. She seems to have enough talent to be play significant minutes in her freshmen year, and take some if not most of the C minutes next year. If we don't get her, and Amari disappoints the portal will be a necessity. If we do get her, and Amari comes up big, we probably have nothing to worry about.
Good thoughts. While I am comfortable with our bigs next year, what a unique opportunity it would be for a transfer to come in and plug into what will be one of the top 3 teams, play with some of the best players in the country (Paige, Azzi, etc.), and perhaps be favored to win NCAA's.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Good thoughts. While I am comfortable with our bigs next year, what a unique opportunity it would be for a transfer to come in and plug into what will be one of the top 3 teams, play with some of the best players in the country (Paige, Azzi, etc.), and perhaps be favored to win NCAA's.
Only if Amari doesn't pan out as expected. If she does, I'm not bringing in another post player on top of them to compete for their minutes. Amari and Ice sould have the post position covered until Amari graduates. I would bring in a freshman and let her watch and learn for a year if I could get one, then expect her to be ready to play significant meaningful minutes for the next 3 years.

Good post players that transfer for some reason are not drawn to UConn. The last one was 6'5" Natalie Butler from Georgetown (who was the BE Conference FOY). 6'6" Azura Stevens (Duke) WAS NOT a post player, although Geno asked her to play there. She was a wing at Duke. Elizabeth Williams was the post the two years Stevens was there (2014-2016). I agree UConn should stock pile all of the post payers they can, but I haven't noticed a "land swell" of post players coming to UConn lately. Find out what Oregon head coach Kelly Graves is doing. He has no problem attracting BIGS. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Only if Amari doesn't pan out as expected. If she does, I'm not bringing in another post player on top of them to compete for their minutes. Amari and Ice sould have the post position covered until Amari graduates. I would bring in a freshman and let her watch and learn for a year if I could get one, then expect her to be ready to play significant meaningful minutes for the next 3 years.

Good post players that transfer for some reason are not drawn to UConn. The last one was 6'5" Natalie Butler from Georgetown (who was the BE Conference FOY). 6'6" Azura Stevens (Duke) WAS NOT a post player, although Geno asked her to play there. She was a wing at Duke. Elizabeth Williams was the post the two years Stevens was there (2014-2016). I agree UConn should stock pile all of the post payers they can, but I haven't noticed a "land swell" of post players coming to UConn lately. Find out what Oregon head coach Kelly Graves is doing. He has no problem attracting BIGS. :rolleyes:
Excitement of the Big City you have to travel 90 or 140 miles to get. I too wonder why guards and forwards and not posts seem to love Geno enough to accept the location ??
Natalie was a big fish in two little ponds separated by Uconn. Azura was a top catch for Duke and a top catch transfer for Uconn. She began as a Wing and departed as a Wing--out of position. Geno needed a Post.
Currently, I suspect Posts have to be recruited early and with lots of attention--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom