Amari? Did we forget about her? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Amari? Did we forget about her?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Morrow is (IMO) an anomaly. At 6'1", she CONSISTENTLY out performs most 6'5"+ post players........and she's not a post player. She listed on DePaul's roster as a forward. A WBCA All-America Honorable Mention... USBWA, WBCA and The Athletic National Freshman of the Year... ESPN Top Freshman in the Country.

She was the BIG EAST Freshman of the Week a record 13 times... set DePaul single-season record for rebounds (457) and rebounding average 13.8)... set BIG EAST single-game rebounding record with 27 at Seton Hall... led the country in rebounds per game and offensive rebounds per game...

Morrow would go on to break 11 BIG EAST records including most rebounds in a game (27 at Seton Hall) and most rebounds in a season (BIG EAST games). The 27 boards set an NCAA season high. Her 41 points at Creighton set a new freshman standard. Led in the country in total rebounds (457) and double-doubles w/27 (Boston had 30), including a nation's best streak of 23 in a row.

Other than Aliyah Boston (South Carolina), how many post players had anywhere near the number of double doubles she had last year? Imagine for a moment if SHE was 6'5". :eek: She would be unstoppable, an All-American, and most likely player of the year.

I'm looking forward to seeing her vs Patterson.

Reaction Score
I liked Piath, too. Her skills were limited, and she didn't make much progress in two years. But what she could do, she did with aplomb. I enjoyed watching her play. I hope she finds a school and a conference where her skills make sense.
I think Piath and Mir are going to be good Division 1 players, maybe Saylor too but I think in her case it is less certain. Piath showed some things and her stats in very limited minutes were pretty decent. In Mir's case in a little more playing time her numbers were in fact quite good, with a PER way above average. She just had a better players ahead of her, and was in many ways similar to Aubrey.

Amari is in a make or break year. With Ice out a major competitor for the backup C minutes is gone. Geno could still cover that time with good PF's, but if that happens, I fear Amari may never be that relevant in the Uconn program. Some players can see hardly any time in their freshmen year, put in the work with an offseason to work on what is needed, and continue to have successful careers, but if they don't show something by their sophomore year it usually never happens.

Reaction Score
I have never forgotten about Amari. Folks have mocked me for my optimism about her. She’s got excellent skills. But she’s yet to show the sort of energy we need to see. I can hardly wait to see what her decision to spend the summer in Storrs means for next season.

In the video, she says she wasn’t used to playing against kids her size in high school. I think that says a lot about why her first year at UConn unfolded the way it did.
I’m a little worried that her summer wasn’t as productive as she and everyone would have liked. In all the interviews that I have seen with Geno her name really never comes up. Granted I have seen a limited amount of interviews but still she would be a major part of this team if her skills and motor have drastically improved. it does seem like she is the forgotten big. hopefully she can prove all the naysayers wrong by being a integral part of this team.

Reaction Score
I’m a little worried that her summer wasn’t as productive as she and everyone would have liked. In all the interviews that I have seen with Geno her name really never comes up. Granted I have seen a limited amount of interviews but still she would be a major part of this team if her skills and motor have drastically improved. it does seem like she is the forgotten big. hopefully she can prove all the naysayers wrong by being a integral part of this team.
I’m hoping that Geno’s lack of commentary regarding Amari is a psyc op on her to keep her working hard.
Going to need her to at least partially pick up what we expected Ice to put down.
If she doesn’t make a huge Soph leap forward we’re in a tight spot. (IMHO)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I've never been a huge fan of Amari the player but I'm a huge fan of her as a person. She seems like a terrific young woman. These kids don't have to be great basketball players to be admired...but it would help! Amari now has the opportunity of a lifetime. Here is to hoping she can find a way to maximize it. I'd love to see some strong defense, some quickness, some rebounding ferocity. Lose the outside shot until she shows me she can play post first. Someone feed her some raw meat please. Channel some Ayanna. You can be nice off the court and all business on it.
TeamFirst, I loved this post. :) I agree with everything you said, especially the part about losing the outside shot until she shows consistency in the paint. We've got enough "outside" shooters. We need a strong offensive presence in the paint!! Amari can provide that presence. Being a former post in college, I tend to lean towards post players because I've walked a mile in their shoes. I want to go on record right now.......I LIKE AMARI!!!! The person and the player. ;) She can be as great as she wants to be. The ball is in her court. Geno will give her the opportunity to be good/great this year. I got a chuckle from the "raw meat" reference. I understand the analogy. A question Geno said he asks all of the recruits that come to UConn for a campus visit..............."Can you be great when I need you to be?' :eek:

There is an "on" switch somewhere inside of Amari. There is someone in her inner circle that can flip that switch if it hasn't been already. As I said in a previous post, I don't know where Amari stood on the depth chart before Ice's injury. Friday, she moved up. I think Dorka starts at the post, and Amari backs her up. BOTH of these players will get plenty of playing time this year. At times, they may both be on the floor together. Amari MUST step up this year beginning Last Friday.

The Kutztown exhibition game is only 10 days away. Amari, practice like you play. Show up for every game (no disappearing acts), play hard and smart, no dumb fouls, stay on the floor and give your coach options, limit your turnovers, play with a purpose and with urgency, and most of all, have fun. Be part of the solution, not part of the problem. Let Geno and your teammates know they can count on you ALL YEAR. Go Amari, Go UConn.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I’m hoping that Geno’s lack of commentary regarding Amari is a psyc op on her to keep her working hard.
Going to need her to at least partially pick up what we expected Ice to put down.
If she doesn’t make a huge Soph leap forward we’re in a tight spot. (IMHO)
Yeah, real tight. :oops:

Reaction Score
I don't understand these types of questions about her. It does seem like she is a good person and teammate, but what has she done that would make us remember her (to be able to forget)?

Reaction Score
I don't understand these types of questions about her. It does seem like she is a good person and teammate, but what has she done that would make us remember her (to be able to forget)?
I posed the question because early on she was forgotten in the conversation in the BY regarding post play. It’s a question that has sparked conversation and debate. It’s that simple. What has she done or hasn’t is subjective.
I posted the question almost 5 months ago before we lost Ice for the season.

Reaction Score
Not a question.
Hoping her time spent on campus was productive.
Fact is, she is conspicuous absent in Geno’s glowing progress reports,
Hence the psy ops comment.

Reaction Score
I get it, people hope that she will contribute and live up to lofty HS rankings because we needed the inside presence even before the newest bad injury. I have never seen anything on the court that would make me remember that she was a contributor or could be one in the future.

sun

Reaction Score
I don't understand these types of questions about her. It does seem like she is a good person and teammate, but what has she done that would make us remember her (to be able to forget)? ......I get it, people hope that she will contribute and live up to lofty HS rankings because we needed the inside presence even before the newest bad injury. I have never seen anything on the court that would make me remember that she was a contributor or could be one in the future.
Have you watched every minute that she's been on the court for UConn?
Have you watched any videos of her playing in games besides at UConn such as USA BB or high school?
Did you hear the practice player comments from last year about her great shooting ability?
Have you watched her dunk?
If you don't believe that she can be a contributor, then what does that say about Geno's ability to evaluate recruits?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
DeBerry was the 15th ranked player and last choice picked for the national team that competed in Hungary. She never saw the court. Last season , her minutes were late in games, causing Auriemma to comment that he maybe should have given her more playing time. Alluding, that perhaps she will perform better than she does in practice. The problem appears to be her motor and concentration, let's hope that just a tuneup, is all that is needed. If not, Edwards will see alot of time sliding over for Dorka.

Reaction Score
I posed the question because early on she was forgotten in the conversation in the BY regarding post play. It’s a question that has sparked conversation and debate. It’s that simple. What has she done or hasn’t is subjective.
I posted the question almost 5 months ago before we lost Ice for the season.
She's certainly going to be remembered now...........I'm hopeful she can become a very useful player this season...........without her positive contributions at both ends of the floor it's going to be a tough season up front.....

Carnac

Reaction Score
She hasn't DONE ANTYHING (yet) to be remembered for. I believe the question was in reference to the fact that she's here too. So many posters are focusing and commenting on newbies Ice Brady and Ayanna Patterson and NOT mentioning Amari as if she's no longer on the team. Hence the suggestion.............."don't forget about Amari."

Last year she sat on the end of the bench with Mir McLean and Piath Gabriel. McLean transferred to the University of Virginia midseason, and Gabriel transferred to UMass in April. Amari is the last surviving member of the "Bench Mob." :cool:

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
She's certainly going to be remembered now...........I'm hopeful she can become a very useful player this season...........without her positive contributions at both ends of the floor it's going to be a tough season up front.....
She has to step up. Dorka can't play 40 minutes a game. You don't want to depend on 6'2" Ayanna to back her up when you have a "healthy and able bodied" 6'5" sophomore on the roster. :cool:

Reaction Score
I get it, people hope that she will contribute and live up to lofty HS rankings because we needed the inside presence even before the newest bad injury. I have never seen anything on the court that would make me remember that she was a contributor or could be one in the future.
I get what you are saying but that Georgia Tech game last year, Amari showed a glimpse of what she could do given some minutes.

Reaction Score
Without DeBerry, there are 5 players who can combine to form a formidable frontcourt. Edwards, Dorka, Patterson, Griffin and Ducharme. They will be fine.

Reaction Score
Here's an important positive I noticed in her HS videos, and her limited PT last year: she knows how to catch a ball high and not bring it down. She just pivots and shoots. Liv and Aaliyah were not particularly consistent about this and often got tangled up with little people in the lane by bringing the ball down.

We can say lots of other things, like her smooth shooting touch, her ability to block shots without swatting at the ball, etc, as well as critical things about the low energy she seemed to display last year when she was on the court. I hope she has found another gear over the summer, because she has very trainable skills in other aspects of her game.

When Amari shoots, she looks like a shooter. Lots of bigs shoot the ball as if it were some alien object that fell into their hands.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I have a question for my Boneyard brethren. What numbers (average of points and rebounds) would YOU be satisfied with for Amari this season? I'd be happy if she could average 14/12. :D I'd like to see two 20 point games, and at least one 18 rebound game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have a question for my Boneyard brethren. What numbers (average of points and rebounds) would YOU be satisfied with for Amari this season? I'd be happy if she could average 14/12. :D
I like those numbers. To get them, she'd probably need to play more than 20 mins/g. If she only plays 20 mins/g, I'd be thrilled if she averaged even a minimal double-double.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I like those numbers. To get them, she'd probably need to play more than 20 mins/g. If she only plays 20 mins/g, I'd be thrilled if she averaged even a minimal double-double.
I'm thinking she splits the 40 post minutes with Dorka now that Ice won't be vying for any of those minutes. Some games it will be a little more, some games a little less. Over the course of the season it should even out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom