AMA, Terrell and Chukwu to PC says John Rooke | Page 3 | The Boneyard

AMA, Terrell and Chukwu to PC says John Rooke

Status
Not open for further replies.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

Sorry for the spelling error. The point was not that Welsh needed the exact record as Skinner to be viewed as similarly reaching what should be viewed as an acceptable level. The ceiling for program A may be reaching the NIT more than 50% of the time while program B may be the NCAA's those years, sometimes as a one and done, others winning a game or two while program C's ceiling would be postseason every year, NCAA's 80% of those years with sweet sixteen runs more often than not while in the NCAA's, elite eight half the time that they make it to the sweet sixteen and a few runs where they win it all.

You tell me, should URI have the same expectations as PC? If you answer is no, please explain.

Reaction Score
Why would that bother you?
Because it's super self promotional and shows they really have no regard for any of the schools recruiting them, they only care about getting as much attention as possible for themselves and their AAU team. I just prefer the Emmanuel Mudiay approach and have more respect for recruits that take that type of line.

Is pretty obvious that the reason recruiting gurus think these kids are going someplace else every other day is that they are being fed a different piece of nonsense by the Abu/Terrell camp on a regular basis. The poster makes it apparent that the only thing that matters is that no one finds out who they will be selecting between now and Sept. 7.

"Make sure you're present, you don't want to miss this event!"

If that's on a poster announcing that Lennon and Harrison have risen from the dead and the Beatles are reuniting, cool. If it's on a poster for a guy who's not even a top 50 recruit announcing where he is attending college, it's clownshoes. Just my opinion.

Reaction Score
Jeff bordello weighs in:

Why are you saying Abu to Florida?

Jeff Borzello@jeffborzello 19h
@Uconn_Brendan Info and gut feelings. Guy.
Asked him if he was still 100% confident on Florida for Abu and he said he would go with either Florida or NC State. Also asked Jerry why he switched back to Florida. He said that UConn was a backtrack on Providence (so much for the info that he had about UConn) and that Abu has always favored Florida. Take it with a grain of salt, obviously.

Reaction Score
Asked him if he was still 100% confident on Florida for Abu and he said he would go with either Florida or NC State. Also asked Jerry why he switched back to Florida. He said that UConn was a backtrack on Providence (so much for the info that he had about UConn) and that Abu has always favored Florida. Take it with a grain of salt, obviously.

Didn't Abu visit Florida for about 5 minutes before leaving? It seemed like a courtesy visit...so, until he actually commits there, I'm going to say I think its UConn v. PC.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Because its super self promotional and shows they really have no regard for any of the schools recruiting them, they only care about getting as much attention as possible for themselves and their AAU team. I just prefer the Emmanuel Mudiay approach and have more respect for recruits that take that type of line.

Is pretty obvious that the reason recruiting gurus think these kids are going someplace else every other day is that they are being fed a different piece of nonsense by the Abu/Terrell camp on a regular basis. The poster makes it apparent that the only thing that matters is that no one finds out who they will be selecting between now and Sept. 7.

"Make sure you're present, you don't want to miss this event!"

If that's on a poster announcing that Lennon and Harrison have risen from the dead and the Beatles are reuniting, cool. If it's on a poster for a guy who's not even a top 50 recruit announcing where he is attending college, it's clownshoes. Just my opinion.

100% agree. Hopefully it wasn't these players ideas and the AAU team is really pushing this event...

Reaction Score
Didn't Abu visit Florida for about 5 minutes before leaving? It seemed like a courtesy visit...so, until he actually commits there, I'm going to say I think its UConn v. PC.
If 3uconn still feels good about Abu, then so do I. His recruitment seems to be very tight lipped. Yes a lot of people claim they have sources, but I don't think anyone really knows. Meyer doesn't make sense to me...why switch to UCONN if he always favored Florida? And before that Meyer had him to Providence.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If 3uconn still feels good about Abu, then so do I. His recruitment seems to be very tight lipped. Yes a lot of people claim they have sources, but I don't think anyone really knows. Meyer doesn't make sense to me...why switch to UCONN if he always favored Florida? And before that Meyer had him to Providence.

Chances are Meyer will change his prediction to whatever school he chooses the second after he does so. Then he'll say, "Told ya so, it was school X all the way."

Reaction Score
ESPN Insider's has an article today by Adam Finkelstein (well connected in New England) examining the probability of some of these package deals coming to fruition. He pegs the AMA/Terrell deal at 13%. With all the stuff we've seen lately it seems like we shouldn't get our hopes up with AMA announcing for UConn. I'm fine with that. We'll end up with someone really good.

Breaking down possible package deals

Abdul-Malik Abu (Marblehead, Mass./Kimball Union) & Jared Terrell (Weymouth, Mass./Brewster Academy)
Probability -- 13 percent

Abu and Terrell came up the ranks playing side by side on the travel circuit with Expressions Elite, and have had their recruitments linked since the summer of 2011. While both have publicly downplayed the possibility of a potential package deal, the fact that they’re set to announce at a joint press conference Sept. 7 adds fuel to the conspiracy theorists’ fire. With both players now down to four schools, Providence is the sole remaining option for both. No one has worked harder than Ed Cooley on Abu, but at this point the ESPN 100 power forward seems to be leaning more toward Florida or N.C. State, while Terrell could be starting to favor Oklahoma State. The reality though is that no one knows for sure until they flip over their hats.

Reaction Score
If you look at the predictions it states UConn won't land any of these kids, all are predicted to end up at different places.

Good for PC if they pull this off, question how or why, but likely speaks to what our future is in this crappy league.

Reaction Score
If you look at the predictions it states UConn won't land any of these kids, all are predicted to end up at different places.

Good for PC if they pull this off, question how or why, but likely speaks to what our future is in this crappy league.

Top 100 kids just verballed to SMU and Houston. Someone needs to remind those kids about your post.

Reaction Score
ESPN Insider's has an article today by Adam Finkelstein (well connected in New England) examining the probability of some of these package deals coming to fruition. He pegs the AMA/Terrell deal at 13%. With all the stuff we've seen lately it seems like we shouldn't get our hopes up with AMA announcing for UConn. I'm fine with that. We'll end up with someone really good.

Abdul-Malik Abu (Marblehead, Mass./Kimball Union) & Jared Terrell (Weymouth, Mass./Brewster Academy)

Abu and Terrell came up the ranks playing side by side on the travel circuit with Expressions Elite, and have had their recruitments linked since the summer of 2011. While both have publicly downplayed the possibility of a potential package deal, the fact that they’re set to announce at a joint press conference Sept. 7 adds fuel to the conspiracy theorists’ fire. With both players now down to four schools, Providence is the sole remaining option for both. No one has worked harder than Ed Cooley on Abu, but at this point the ESPN 100 power forward seems to be leaning more toward Florida or N.C. State, while Terrell could be starting to favor Oklahoma State. The reality though is that no one knows for sure until they flip over their hats.

I don't like the fact that of the 4 schools on Abu's list, UConn was the only one not mentioned. This could be a really bad miss.

Reaction Score
Oh really? You think this league has no bearing? I do, I think if I'm Tom Crean I say to Robinson, hey, you want to play OSU, Mich, MSU, Wisc or Cincy and Temple?

That is what every coach of a major school says. Yes, some kids will still come to the league but if you think it is a non factor you're dilusional.

Top 100 kids just verballed to SMU and Houston. Someone needs to remind those kids about your post.

Reaction Score

outside of AMA and Perkins UConn isn't recruiting any of them, and Perkins went to Gonzaga in the WCC, a worse league than the AAC.

Reaction Score
Oh really? You think this league has no bearing? I do, I think if I'm Tom Crean I say to Robinson, hey, you want to play OSU, Mich, MSU, Wisc or Cincy and Temple?

That is what every coach of a major school says. Yes, some kids will still come to the league but if you think it is a non factor you're dilusional.
While logic would suggest that conference affiliation should matter to recruits, Dave Telep says it doesn't any more. I think he knows a tad more about recruiting than any of us on the Boneyard.

Conference affiliation no longer a decision factor for elite hoops recruits, Dave Telep, ESPN.com

Thanks to conference realignment, there's been historic change in college basketball. So much change, in fact, that even the most knowledgeable fans need assistance. With new leagues, new league names and teams shifting leagues every year, you're in the minority if you've got it all figured out.

If you are confused, don't worry. You're not alone. America's best basketball recruits are in the dark as well.

After speaking with many of them, conference affiliation will play no factor in their college decisions. Ten years ago you might hear phrases like "I want to play in the ACC" or "I want to play in the best league, the Big East." That was then, this is now. The current generation of top-tier targets isn't aligning itself with leagues but rather programs and the faces of those programs. All the branding, new logos and hyped-up venues for the conference tournaments carry little weight with today's top recruits.

Last week, ESPN 60 small forward Theo Pinson (Greensboro, N.C./Wesleyan Christian) committed to North Carolina. He grew up in ACC country, so surely the league had an impact on his decision, right? "No, not at all," Pinson said.

Uncommitted ESPN 60 shooting guard Devin Booker (Moss Point, Miss./Moss Point), who has schools representing multiple leagues on his list, likewise said conferences won't be a factor in his decision. He's looking for relationships with the staff and future teammates. Booker has one parent who lives in Big Ten country and another in SEC land, and his father was once the Big 12 Player of the Year. Yet he has no league allegiances.

What about JaQuan Lyle (Evansville, Ind./Bosse), another uncommitted top-20 recruit in the 2014 class and a top-flight point guard smack in the heart of Big Ten turf? "Nothing much," Lyle said. "I hadn't really put thought into that. I don't think that'll matter, to be honest."

If you're a basketball traditionalist, this football-driven conference realignment probably shook you to the core. Maryland in the Big Ten? Syracuse in the ACC? It makes no sense on so many basketball levels, but it's what we're working with. And without schools having loyalty to the leagues, we shouldn't expect recruits to have any conference loyalty either.

Here's what this generation of elite recruits wants to know: Above all else, can the coach put them in the NBA -- and quickly? Prospects also want to know that the head coach appreciates them and put the work in to get them. The last factor -- and a ways behind, we might add -- is whom they'll be playing with.

When a recruit signs with a college, he inks an essentially meaningless national letter of intent. The fact is that the decision is based almost exclusively on a personal relationship with the head coach and his staff. You could play an entire conference tournament on the deck of a battleship off the coast of San Diego and it won't factor in anyone's decision.

The only league loyalty these days is to the NBA, and that's the most important factor for the majority of top-tier recruits.

Reaction Score

Nobody said it's a non-factor. But the recent AAC commitments (and not even to the top tier of the AAC) suggest it's nowhere near as much of a factor as some would think.

Reaction Score

I think a conference with top players like Mudiay, Frazier, Richmond and all the Memphis kids will draw strong players like Daniel Hamilton etc.

And, before calling me dilusional (sic), realize that UConn will be on the top channels 16 times this year, so Uconn is selling these kids on a top OOC schedule plus a lot of exposure on television.

Indiana is a great school. UConn loses recruits to Indiana in the best of times. But as for Tom Crean's appeal, it might sound like this: "Come play in our rockfight league, where Beilien and Bo Ryan will slow everything down, where Thad Matta will continue to underperform, and come to Indiana to play for less than middling coach!"

The B1G will have better competition for now, but a top school like Indiana is still on CBS/ESPN/ESPN2 14 times. The other teams we're competing against (Providence, Florida, etc.) are on much less. UConn is on 16 times.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Should have said seven percent. No kidding Sherlock. Have to love the 13 percent probability. Does he think it gives credibility to looking at a blank crystal ball. He must think we're high to believe that.

Reaction Score
Should have said seven percent. No kidding Sherlock. Have to love the 13 percent probability. Does he think it gives credibility to looking at a blank crystal ball. He must think we're high to believe that.

LOL...funny stuff the 13%. Actually hilarious! The guy has pretty good info though in general (he is pretty connected on the NE circuit). I don't follow him to closely anymore but am surprised he is putting himself out there on Abu. It could bite him. Hope it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom