Am I a hall of famer? (Active players only) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Am I a hall of famer? (Active players only)

Reaction Score
when did a little above average qualify for HOF. The names ur throwing out are for the most part meh!! Only one is Trout who is a great player. Comparing DeGrom to Koufax is laughable at best. Sandy was one of top 5 EVER. Please do not denigrate him. I’ve been around too long. HOF should be WAY ABOVE AVERAGE.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Trout has a bWAR around 86. He's more than a mere lock. Other locks are Verlander, Kershaw, Scherzer, and Betts. I'd probably put Arenado and Machado in the very, very likely HoF category.

Paul Goldschmidt is one I'd be concerned about if he doesn't come back to being at least decent. Coming into this season he was on a HoF trajectory, but ooff... hasn't been good this year. He's two years older than Freeman, but has one fewer season of experience. Freeman could pass him next year, in which case I'd think Freeman would probably get in (maybe not on first ballot) while Goldschmidt waits awhile.

Lindor and Correa will be interesting cases. Both in mid-40s in bWAR and should have another 5-6 years of above-average production. I think it'll be a close call for both. Jose Altuve is another borderline guy, but as a 2b, might have a shot if he can have 2-3 more decent years.

In hockey, Erik Staal's HoF case will be interesting. I don't think he's playing this year, but he hasn't retired. If he's done, he's pretty borderline. Just over 1000 pts. 1 AS, 1 Cup.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Nolan Arenado for mlb
I think he's already in, and given it's assumed by MLB media that Yadier Molina is a first ballot guy, I don't know what argument could be made to keep Arenado out with all those GGs in addition to far better offense than Molina, despite the greater challenge of being a catcher.

Reaction Score
Stanton won't sniff the HOF, probably drops off first ballot. Agree on Horford being a lock since it's not just NBA

Off the top of my head:

MLB - Chris Sale
NHL - Erik Karlsson
NBA - John Wall
NFL - Mike Evans
Mike Evans is the first/only player in NFL history to have a 1,000 yards receiving in his first 10 seasons. He is most likely in. Gets lost sometimes because he's not a headline making diva, and early on was overshadowed by OBJ from same draft class. Bottom line, he has stayed healthy and flat out produced.

Reaction Score
I have one for the NFL, Calais Campbell.
Ooooh good one. I'm gonna say yes.
Also, his old cardinal teammate, Adrian Wilson is someone I wish they'd consider. He was one of the best safeties in the league for about 8 straight years

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just had this conversation about Stanton with a friend a couple weeks ago. Doubt he makes it barring a resurgence in the next couple years. Lost too many games when he was a top tier power hitter (probably 2+ seasons worth), and is not aging well. Pretty much average hitting since he turned 32 plus no longer playing in the field, so he's not doing much to help his case at this point.

He was a pretty iconic power hitter in his prime and I do think he would have made it if he was healthy throughout his 20s, but them's the breaks.
Hes 84 homeruns from 500. If he gets there hes in.

Reaction Score
Jacob deGrom is an interesting one. Perhaps the best pitcher ever over a two season span and had a good first several years but since his second cy young injuries derailed his career. I dont think he gets in.

Reaction Score
My "on the fence" Hall of Famers:

Baseball:
1. Mike Trout: Started off historically, but injuries have really slowed him down. I think he makes it because he was the best player for a 3-5 year period. Lack of any postseason success hurts him though.
2. Freddie Freeman: Consistently excellent player, but never the best player. Seems to be getting better with age (he's 34). Playing with the other great players on the Dodgers will help him. I'm confident he makes the HOF.
3. Jacob deGrom: As a Mets fan, I think he makes it based on his pure dominance for a 2-3 year period. A bit of a Sandy Koufax scenario (where he shined so bright for a short time), but the overall statistics may hurt his resume.

Basketball:
1. Paul George: Overall career is really really good. Was also an excellent defensive player. Lack of postseason success does hurt.
2. Draymond Green: Obviously his statistics aren't impressive and his on-court indiscretions are a factor too, but he has multiple championships, and was/is an excellent defensive player.
3. DeMar Derozan: Immediately his name doesn't strike me as a HOF player, but when looking at his career, it's quite excellent. He's so consistent and reliable (not many injuries). If John Wall is a borderline HOF'er, then I think Derozan should be talked about.

Football: Is such a hard sport to evaluate, as it isn't as stat oriented (compared to the other major sports)
1. Mike Trout is in 100%. He could retire today and still be in. He will go first ballot.
2. Freddie Freeman is also almost assuredly a Hall of Famer. In a few days he will pass Olerud in WAR, and there will be no eligible player above him that didn't take steroids that isn't in the Hall of Fame other than Keith Hernandez, who should be in the Hall. By Jaws, he's already in. First Base JAWS Leaders | Baseball-Reference.com
3. I don't think deGrom makes it unless he has a few more decent years, at least to show some sort of longevity.

Paul George, Dray, and DeMar are all HoFers. Basketball HoF is a joke.

Reaction Score
Stanton won't sniff the HOF, probably drops off first ballot. Agree on Horford being a lock since it's not just NBA

Off the top of my head:

MLB - Chris Sale
NHL - Erik Karlsson
NBA - John Wall
NFL - Mike Evans
No way Stanton drops first ballot. He's probably going to end up with 500HR. If he has a signature playoff moment en route to a ring, I'd say he at least lasts the full eligibility, probably getting in.

Reaction Score
After the passing of a legit hall of famer (RIP Larry Allen)
I got to thinking about current players, across the major sports, who are as "on the fence" as you can get.

Here are my 3 (I don't really know hockey)
1. Giancarlo Stanton
2. Russell Wilson
3. Al Horford

Are these guys hall of famers???
(In my opinion, only Russ will make it)

You can respond to mine, or post some "on the fencers" of your own. Try to keep it to active players, just for ease of process.
1. No
2. No
3. No

It’s the Hall of Excellent, not the Hall of Pretty Good.

Reaction Score
Trout has a bWAR around 86. He's more than a mere lock. Other locks are Verlander, Kershaw, Scherzer, and Betts. I'd probably put Arenado and Machado in the very, very likely HoF category.

Paul Goldschmidt is one I'd be concerned about if he doesn't come back to being at least decent. Coming into this season he was on a HoF trajectory, but ooff... hasn't been good this year. He's two years older than Freeman, but has one fewer season of experience. Freeman could pass him next year, in which case I'd think Freeman would probably get in (maybe not on first ballot) while Goldschmidt waits awhile.

Lindor and Correa will be interesting cases. Both in mid-40s in bWAR and should have another 5-6 years of above-average production. I think it'll be a close call for both. Jose Altuve is another borderline guy, but as a 2b, might have a shot if he can have 2-3 more decent years.

In hockey, Erik Staal's HoF case will be interesting. I don't think he's playing this year, but he hasn't retired. If he's done, he's pretty borderline. Just over 1000 pts. 1 AS, 1 Cup.

This is the tier list for baseball

Tier 1: First Ballot Locks
1. Mike Trout
2. Justin Verlander
3. Clayton Kershaw
4. Max Scherzer

Tier 2: Probably 1st Ballot
1. Mookie Betts
2. Freddie Freeman
3. Aaron Judge
4. Shohei Ohtani
5. Bryce Harper
6. Gerrit Cole
7. Juan Soto
8. Ronald Acuna Jr.

Tier 3: Probably HoF
1. Joey Votto
2. Paul Goldschmidt
3. Nolan Arenado
4. Manny Machado
5. Jose Altuve
6. Jose Ramirez
7. Cory Seager
8. Jose Ramirez

Tier 4: Borderline HoF/Has work to do
1. Jacob deGrom
2. Andrew McCutchen
3. Chris Sale
4. Giancarlo Stanton
5. Marcus Semien
6. Francisco Lindor
7. Christian Yelich
8. Alex Bregman
9. J.T. Realmuto
10. Trea Turner

Reaction Score
Jacob deGrom is an interesting one. Perhaps the best pitcher ever over a two season span and had a good first several years but since his second cy young injuries derailed his career. I dont think he gets in.I

He was good, but closer to Guidry than even Pedro. (Keep in mind Guidry was throwing a lot more innings during his best two year stretch).

Reaction Score
After the passing of a legit hall of famer (RIP Larry Allen)
I got to thinking about current players, across the major sports, who are as "on the fence" as you can get.

Here are my 3 (I don't really know hockey)
1. Giancarlo Stanton
2. Russell Wilson
3. Al Horford

Are these guys hall of famers???
(In my opinion, only Russ will make it)

You can respond to mine, or post some "on the fencers" of your own. Try to keep it to active players, just for ease of process.
No
Yes (but it will take several ballots)
If he wins this ring, yes

Reaction Score

Baseball:
1. Mike Trout: Started off historically, but injuries have really slowed him down. I think he makes it because he was the best player for a 3-5 year period. Lack of any postseason success hurts him though.
2. Freddie Freeman: Consistently excellent player, but never the best player. Seems to be getting better with age (he's 34). Playing with the other great players on the Dodgers will help him. I'm confident he makes the HOF.
3. Jacob deGrom: As a Mets fan, I think he makes it based on his pure dominance for a 2-3 year period. A bit of a Sandy Koufax scenario (where he shined so bright for a short time), but the overall statistics may hurt his resume.

Basketball:
1. Paul George: Overall career is really really good. Was also an excellent defensive player. Lack of postseason success does hurt.
2. Draymond Green: Obviously his statistics aren't impressive and his on-court indiscretions are a factor too, but he has multiple championships, and was/is an excellent defensive player.
3. DeMar Derozan: Immediately his name doesn't strike me as a HOF player, but when looking at his career, it's quite excellent. He's so consistent and reliable (not many injuries). If John Wall is a borderline HOF'er, then I think Derozan should be talked about.

Football: Is such a hard sport to evaluate, as it isn't as stat oriented (compared to the other major sports)
-There is no fence for Trout. Marches in on the first ballot.
-Good question with Freeman
-Sadly, deGrom wasted his prime with a bad organization. He was special!

-PG will make it because everyone makes the Basketball HOF
-Draymond is in
-don't see it

Reaction Score
But, I think the last 5 years of injuries and malcontent in Boston will cost him the HoF.
Malcontent? He was constantly injured, but he wasn't a malcontent. Where did you get that from?

Reaction Score
The Basketball HOF has a pretty low bar. Paul George, Kyrie, and Draymond are locks. Horford, I don't see happening but it wouldn't shock me.

Kevin Love is an interesting case.

Reaction Score

Baseball:

Basketball:

dawg, there is nothing "on the fence" about Mike Trout.

He could have been hit by a bus 4 years ago and would be a first ballot lock as the defining player of his era, including 3 MVP and like 80 WAR. Nobody cares about the postseason when you have that much black on your b-ref page.

Reaction Score
Mookie Betts - already in.

Rafael Devers - has a good path to 500 HRs. Has a Ring. Clutch in playoffs. Will eventually get in.

Xander Boegarts - No.

Wes Welker - Deserves to be in. Invented the slot receiver. Gave up his body. 1 ill-timed dropped ball should not keep him out.

Julien Edelman - super clutch with Brady. Yes.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Jacob deGrom is an interesting one. Perhaps the best pitcher ever over a two season span and had a good first several years but since his second cy young injuries derailed his career. I dont think he gets in.

Check out Pedro’s stats from 1999-2000, in the heart of the steroids era, and tell me if you think you can still say “perhaps.”

Just a couple nuggets to whet your appetite: 1.39 FIP (!!!) and 13.2 K/9 in 1999 and a 0.737 WHIP (!!!) in 2000. Against guys with heads the size of planets.

Reaction Score
1. Mike Trout is in 100%. He could retire today and still be in. He will go first ballot.
2. Freddie Freeman is also almost assuredly a Hall of Famer. In a few days he will pass Olerud in WAR, and there will be no eligible player above him that didn't take steroids that isn't in the Hall of Fame other than Keith Hernandez, who should be in the Hall. By Jaws, he's already in. First Base JAWS Leaders | Baseball-Reference.com
3. I don't think deGrom makes it unless he has a few more decent years, at least to show some sort of longevity.

Paul George, Dray, and DeMar are all HoFers. Basketball HoF is a joke.
I agree on Freeman but I live in Atlanta where he is still probably one of the most beloved players. I know off the field stuff can keep a guy out but the opposite is true with Freeman. He is given a lot of credit as being the leader on the Braves World Series team.

Reaction Score

Baseball:

Basketball:

Trout is a no-brainer. Trout's injuries have tainted a potentially legendary career. But even as is, he'll be around 500hrs and 7 top two finishes in the MVP when he retires.

Freeman won't be a first ballot guy. But I think the numbers, all-around play, and the fact that he is such a good guy will get him in.

deGrom has two cy youngs and as mentioned was Koufax esque for a 3-4 year period of time. Wins for SP have become highly devalued so his "counting" numbers will be based on a sub 1 whip which is historically incredible --just looked it up, literally 2nd best in the history of baseball--.

Greinke should get in eventually

Giancarlo will be interesting. 500hrs was always the benchmark and we'll most likely get there. He could be the first to get to that number and have a tough time getting in.

There's a few likely/no doubt other HOFs still active I think... Verlander, Scherzer, Kershaw

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom