Am I a hall of famer? (Active players only) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Am I a hall of famer? (Active players only)

Reaction Score
Those would be casual fans :cool:

I’m 28 and I know who Jim Kelly is. Never saw him play obviously. I just think Russ is in a higher tier.
If you never saw a guy play then how are you able to have an opinion on him and compare him to another player unless your just using stats?

Reaction Score
Yeah, as one of the biggest Andre fans, unfortunately he has no shot. Unless he somehow reinvents his career a la Brook Lopez and contributes to a winning team. It’s crazy that he is only 30.

I thought for sure you were out of mind and googled it, and holy crap, he's only 30. I feel like he's been in the league for like 15-16 years.

Reaction Score
Zach Greinke should get in - not only for his career stats but for also being Zach - he’s a really interesting guy!
I'm assuming he's done. So 225 wins, 3.49 era, 6 all stars, cy young, 2 era titles, 6 gold gloves. I would think he'd be a guy who gets in on like the 6th or 7th ballot.

Reaction Score
If you never saw a guy play then how are you able to have an opinion on him and compare him to another player unless your just using stats?
Stats and accomplishments*. Not seeing someone play doesn’t exempt them from a comparison. That would be a ridiculous sentiment

Reaction Score
Slow your role on acuna, he is more likely to be out of game than hof. He is rumored to have a right elbow issue that could end his career. Although the most talented guy in majors, he has a horrendous attitude and refuses to hustle on a daily basis. Now out 2 out of 3 years, hof not in his future. He is not a winner. Hurley would bench him.
love a "doesn't hustle" a year after stealing 70+ bases. horrendous attitude but teammates love him. out 2 of 4 years* (that first year he was on a 9 fwar/162 pace). Not a winner but they've literally never not won the division in his career. no "rumor" of his "career threatening" elbow injury listed anywhere. not on google, not on a twitter search, not on reddit, etc.

but yeah i'm probably not putting a 26 year old that high in my future HOF tier no matter what. No matter how wrong you are about everything else

Reaction Score
It's a consequence of the scoring environment.

In a low-scoring era, taking risks to score points is worthwhile, and turnovers not as big a deal because so many more possessions ended in punts.

In a high-scoring era, you want to dink and dunk down the field (the Brady offense) and minimize turnovers.

Think about the difference between MLB baseball and slow-pitch softball. In MLB, you take more risks to score. In softball, avoiding outs is more important.
Yea I was only bringing those guys up as an example you can't just look at numbers. Even within the history of MLB, strikeouts and caught stealing are obviously bad, but strikeouts are "less" bad whereas being caught stealing is "more" bad now compared to 70 years ago. Guys would sit out to avoid that 100th strikeout on the season but going 70/100 on steals was just the cost of doing business in an agressive running era.

Reaction Score
I'm assuming he's done. So 225 wins, 3.49 era, 6 all stars, cy young, 2 era titles, 6 gold gloves. I would think he'd be a guy who gets in on like the 6th or 7th ballot.
Honestly the HoF voters are going to have a tough time with starters in the near future. If Greinke isn't in within the few few ballots, how many starters under 30 will actually make it? Below is a link of all active pitchers. The highest guy on the list is Sandy Alcantara who is 28 and has 20.3 career WAR. I don't want this to turn into a conversation about WAR vs traditional stats. I'm just using this as a reference point. Who under 30 as a starter would anyone feel reasonably confident on making it? Actually looking at this list makes me feel like guys like Sale/deGrom/Cole have much better chances at making it than I previously thought.

Active WAR leaders

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

You can't have an opinion on Babe Ruth. Sorry.

Reaction Score
.258 batting average for career and what will end up being well north of 2,000 k’s, I don’t see how Stanton is even close
I don’t think he’ll make it but not because of those numbers. Reggie Jackson hit .262 and struck out 2,597. Now he’s obviously a HoF but if Stanton was healthier during his prime or didn’t fall off as much as he did and could string together a few decent seasons he’d be right a good candidate despite the average and Ks.

Reaction Score
love a "doesn't hustle" a year after stealing 70+ bases. horrendous attitude but teammates love him. out 2 of 4 years* (that first year he was on a 9 fwar/162 pace). Not a winner but they've literally never not won the division in his career. no "rumor" of his "career threatening" elbow injury listed anywhere. not on google, not on a twitter search, not on reddit, etc.

but yeah i'm probably not putting a 26 year old that high in my future HOF tier no matter what. No matter how wrong you are about everything else
Watch a game before you comment on hustle. Never runs out grounders, never. Was benched several times for not hustling early in career. You won’t find the elbow issue online. That tidbit was learned from people i know that manage money for a multitude of professional athletes. His contact was always below market and that is the reason. Freddie freeman tried to mentor him and acuna would have no part of it. Since then he has regressed. Could bat 30 points higher if he ran out grounders. He is a cancer.

Reaction Score
He’s really close to 3K Ks so he might not be done. Don’t forget 2 silver sluggers. His quirkiness is what will put him over the top.

Reaction Score
Watch a game before you comment on hustle. Never runs out grounders, never. Was benched several times for not hustling early in career. You won’t find the elbow issue online. That tidbit was learned from people i know that manage money for a multitude of professional athletes. His contact was always below market and that is the reason. Freddie freeman tried to mentor him and acuna would have no part of it. Since then he has regressed. Could bat 30 points higher if he ran out grounders. He is a cancer.
This is by far the dumbest post in the thread, which is a tough feat in a thread where someone claimed Mike Trout isn't a Hall of Famer

Reaction Score
This is by far the dumbest post in the thread, which is a tough feat in a thread where someone claimed Mike Trout isn't a Hall of Famer
I watched 120 games last year and own over a million in team stock. Your post is the dumbest post of the year.

Reaction Score

He literally just hit .337 last year and had a lower strikeout rate than freddie. His contract was a record when he signed it for his service time. He regressed…..he’s the reigning MVP coming off the first ever 40/70 season

What are you talking about hahaha just say you don’t like him bc he likes to celebrate

Reaction Score
He literally just hit .337 last year and had a lower strikeout rate than freddie. His contract was a record when he signed it for his service time. He regressed…..he’s the reigning MVP coming off the first ever 40/70 season

What are you talking about hahaha just say you don’t like him bc he likes to celebrate
Watch a game, he is the most talented but does not hustle. I live in Atlanta. Watch some tape instead of quoting stats. He would have hit .370 is he ran out grounders. Watch some tape

Reaction Score
Watch a game, he is the most talented but does not hustle. I live in Atlanta. Watch some tape instead of quoting stats. He would have hit .370 is he ran out grounders. Watch some tape
You think he'd get another 21 hits by running a little harder on routine ground balls? That's asinine. There's a reason coaches don't want guys running out routine ground balls, there's zero upside

Reaction Score
You think he'd get another 21 hits by running a little harder on routine ground balls? That's asinine. There's a reason coaches don't want guys running out routine ground balls, there's zero upside
100 percent wrong, puts pressure on defense and causes pressure and errors. How many games did you watch last year. Zero!

By the way, since he is a perceived leader nobody runs out grounders now. In freeman era everyone did. Watch a few games. They won championship without him. Does not even hustle in playoffs. I live in Atlanta, watch a few games. Stats tell only part of story.

Reaction Score
I don’t think he’ll make it but not because of those numbers. Reggie Jackson hit .262 and struck out 2,597. Now he’s obviously a HoF but if Stanton was healthier during his prime or didn’t fall off as much as he did and could string together a few decent seasons he’d be right a good candidate despite the average and Ks.
You’re comparing him to Mr October??? That’s laughable

Reaction Score
You’re comparing him to Mr October??? That’s laughable
I literally said Jackson is obviously a HoFer and that I don’t think Stanton will make it. I was just saying the stats you used as a reason he wouldn’t make it don’t make sense since those two are very close to what Jackson did. But sure, read it that way.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
100 percent wrong, puts pressure on defense and causes pressure and errors. How many games did you watch last year. Zero!

By the way, since he is a perceived leader nobody runs out grounders now. In freeman era everyone did. Watch a few games. They won championship without him. Does not even hustle in playoffs. I live in Atlanta, watch a few games. Stats tell only part of story.
Maybe the Braves don't want Acuna Jr playing with abandon like he did his first couple of years before he ripped up his ACL and missed 100+ games between '21-'22. They have an investment to protect. Much like many of the complaints about Manny Machado, it could simply be there is "selective hustle" vs "laziness" as a long term plan agreed to by both team and player in order to ensure his continued playability. It doesn't take much for a damaged knee to get reinjured, as you saw last week.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A
Maybe the Braves don't want Acuna Jr playing with abandon like he did his first couple of years before he ripped up his ACL and missed 100+ games between '21-'22. They have an investment to protect. Much like many of the complaints about Manny Machado, it could simply be there is "selective hustle" vs "laziness" as a long term plan agreed to by both team and player in order to ensure his continued playability. It doesn't take much for a damaged knee to get reinjured, as you saw last week.
or maybe be he is just lazy, has exhibited a lack of hustle since his rookie year. In fact, was. Benched multiple times for lack of effort. Cost them playoff series by not running out deep fly because he thought it was a homer. Stood at plate and was watched and took a single. Cost braves game and series. His new injury is the other leg.

Reaction Score
Obviously I know my own team best, and can say that the biggest hustle guys on the Rays don't dig out routine grounders as much as they used to. I consider Kevin Cash to be a very sober manager and have been looking for some retribution when Randy doesn't hustle out a grounder. But it never comes. I don't know if the Braves purposely advised RAJr to slow it down as @Fan1978 denies. But it seems that guys are prioritizing health over all out hustle- as contrary as it is to all the advice we've been hearing since childhood.
*note: we've accepted it in football when a quarterback no longer tries for the extra yardage but instead slides 5 yds before the nearest defender.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom