Alyssa Thomas or Kaleena Lewis | The Boneyard

Alyssa Thomas or Kaleena Lewis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA Basketball 3 X 3 Participants - List

If you were selecting a 3 x 3 team, would you prefer Alyssa or KML? Both are good players and both would merit selection but KML would seem to be the better shooter and might get a slight edge.

Based on who participated in the event, the 3 x 3 team was preselected and there was no competition to see who would make the team. Wonder why Team USA did it this way. As I said the other day, I would take Sims over Diggins and probably would choose her over Bria. Still its a good team and as long as there are no injuries they should win Gold.

Notice that Ann Strother was listed as one of the participants :)

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Number 71, back right

3x3_tcgallery_wgroup_550.jpg

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting, and I don't think you can count the USA as the favorite - this is not an age limited competition (like the last one was) so I would imagine a number of teams will be composed of pro players.

Reaction Score

If you were selecting a 3 x 3 team, would you prefer Alyssa or KML? Both are good players and both would merit selection but KML would seem to be the better shooter and might get a slight edge.

Based on who participated in the event, the 3 x 3 team was preselected and there was no competition to see who would make the team. Wonder why Team USA did it this way. As I said the other day, I would take Sims over Diggins and probably would choose her over Bria. Still its a good team and as long as there are no injuries they should win Gold.

Notice that Ann Strother was listed as one of the participants :)

Would you take Diggins or Bria?

Reaction Score
Back to the continuing saga of Bria's height. She is supposed to be 5 ' 7 and Diggins 5' 9 --- in the pics, it looks like it is the other way around. Do I need glasses?

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Is that even fair????

Team #3 would (I imagine) destroy the other teams in the try outs!!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Back to the continuing saga of Bria's height. She is supposed to be 5 ' 7 and Diggins 5' 9 --- in the pics, it looks like it is the other way around. Do I need glasses?
Bria is 5'10" per her father. We think she looks about 5'9-1/2". Either is close enough for me. She was 5'7" in about 10th grade. Strangely, the UConn site shows a grossly inacccurate and out-of-date height.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In terms of the original question, it depends on the need. I like Alyssa Thomas a lot. She reminds me of Maya in some ways. But if you need a shooter or a well-coached player, I'd take Kaleena.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Bria is 5'10" per her father. We think she looks about 5'9-1/2". Either is close enough for me. She was 5'7" in about 10th grade. Strangely, the UConn site shows a grossly inacccurate and out-of-date height.

John A, in the past, has said he goes by the UConn site, which is clearly wrong.

I emailed him the picture and suggested he might want to be more accurate in his reporting.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score

As I said the other day, I would take Sims over Diggins and probably would choose her over Bria.

Alyssa or KML? It depends on the rest of your team. Given that the USA team already has 2 guards, I would go with another big (Thomas). If I were more confident in KML's play inside (both offensively and defensively), it would make my decision more difficult. I know that KML has a great jumper, but I think Geno should use her in the post more. She looked great there when I saw her down low last season. But that part of her game hasn't been showcased, so I'd go with Alyssa for the rebounding and scoring inside.

Sims over Diggins? I disagree, but I'm an ND alumnus, so I'm not really impartial. I believe the real question is whether you choose Bria over Sims, but honestly, I think they're fine either way.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i think a lot depends on the other players on the team. KML is more versatile and can play the 2, 3 or 4. Alyssa is a more consistent scoring threat and is an elite player. but she's more a 3-4. I think if i had a guard already (ie. Diggins), it would depend on if i had a true post player or not. if i did, then i'd take Alyssa over KML. If i did not, i'd take both.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Sims or Diggins? It depends...do you want defense or a covergirl? I would say that Sims can cover any girl. Plus, Sims has some jewelry that Diggins will never have.

Reaction Score
Both KML and AT are terrific players. Eric, I disagree with your assessment. AT plays 1-4 for Maryland and is incredibly versatile. KML has the advantage in 3 pt shooting, but that is about it.

Statistically speaking-
AT's ppg is better- 17.2 vs. 15.0
AT rpg is better- 8.0 vs. 5.4
AT assists better- AT had 113 in 35 games played, while KML had 64 in 38 games played
AT steals better- AT had 57 steals in 35 games, while KML had 47 in 38 games.
KML has a small advantage in blocked shots

Again, both are terrific players. Happy they're on teams I follow.

Reaction Score
Alyssa & KML are both really good players. Alyssa has some tremendous talent. Maryland is lucky to have her. I have to give the edge to KML because UCONN plays defense and KML is learning to play individual and team defense. KML does not get enough credit for her defense because of her great offensive talent. Alyssa is coached by BF who doesn't know a thing about defense. JMO

Reaction Score
I would take Diggins over Sims. My ? on Sims is whether she was invited back to USA or not? USA is usually selective about who they let wear the jersey and who knows what may have transpired at the World University Games last summer in China?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Both KML and AT are terrific players. Eric, I disagree with your assessment. AT plays 1-4 for Maryland and is incredibly versatile. KML has the advantage in 3 pt shooting, but that is about it.

Statistically speaking-
AT's ppg is better- 17.2 vs. 15.0
AT rpg is better- 8.0 vs. 5.4
AT assists better- AT had 113 in 35 games played, while KML had 64 in 38 games played
AT steals better- AT had 57 steals in 35 games, while KML had 47 in 38 games.
KML has a small advantage in blocked shots

Again, both are terrific players. Happy they're on teams I follow.

Without knowing minutes played per game, I really can't make a good comparison with the raw numbers. If playing time is very similar, then they're pertinent. If one player got 10-20% more playing time, then ya gotta adjust for that.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Without knowing minutes played per game, I really can't make a good comparison with the raw numbers. If playing time is very similar, then they're pertinent. If one player got 10-20% more playing time, then ya gotta adjust for that.

Thomas played 31.9 MPG. Lewis played 28.2 MPG.

So, about 4 minutes per game more.

To me, it's more about the SOS, where Maryland played a 13th ranked SOS and Uconn was 3rd.

And how about comparing their freshman seasons? Wouldn't that be more accurate? The minutes are closer, Lewis scored a little more, rebounds are closer, assists were closer.

It's all besides the point though. Both are amazing players.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I would take Diggins over Sims. My ? on Sims is whether she was invited back to USA or not? USA is usually selective about who they let wear the jersey and who knows what may have transpired at the World University Games last summer in China?
I am curious at what you are intimating with this statement. You seem to be implying that Sims may have done something that would warrant USA not to want her to be present. Please share if you have some information that is not common knowledge. If not, I am not sure why you would hint at this.

Reaction Score
Sims or Diggins? It depends...do you want defense or a covergirl? I would say that Sims can cover any girl. Plus, Sims has some jewelry that Diggins will never have.

Diggins also has plenty of "jewelry" representing her country that Sims will never have. Sims isn't nearly the passer that Diggins is either. Hell, she can't even seem to remember to get the ball to her non-stoppable center. She's a great defender and scorer but average play maker.

Since you haven't pulled any punches I'll go ahead and be as rude as you...Sims isn't as well liked by the girls that would be her teammate. There was a reason she was an outsider on the WUG team. There is a difference in the way they handle themselves and the way Sims has handled herself. Maybe it's maturity, maybe its passion or emotion but I've never seen any of the other four want to brawl on the court...that makes you a punk.

Diggins has won gold and captain the past to world teams she was on. She is a leader. We'll have to see if Sims has that quality.

Reaction Score
I think that there are other considerations. One is the singular go to person on her team and continually has the ball in her hands while KML is just one of the options in a pretty diversified team. Her opportunities in UConn's offense are substantially less, in my view. As has been said, both are wonderfully talented players.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Gotta love this board... a UCONN site and fans of Baylor and ND are throwing punches at each other :D

Im sure the gold medals at these games are great.... but Im also sure that these players would surely trade one of these medals for a NCAA championship.

BTW.. I would take Gray over either Simms or Diggins ;)

per this discussion..... Lewis is a very good player.... but you cant go wrong with Thomas... she's a beast.. (even though she one of those hated Turtles)

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Gotta love this board... a UCONN site and fans of Baylor and ND are throwing punches at each other :D

Im sure the gold medals at these games are great.... but Im also sure that these players would surely trade one of these medals for a NCAA championship.

BTW.. I would take Gray over either Simms or Diggins ;)

per this discussion..... Lewis is a very good player.... but you cant go wrong with Thomas... she's a beast.. (even though she one of those hated Turtles)

I was just going to post that....lol. About the fan fighting...!!!

Well, I would take Hartley over Simms, Diggins or Gray!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom