Alterique Update | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Alterique Update

Reaction Score
I’m not making any hedge.

The team isn’t good. I don’t think about 4 games from now when USF is a coin flip.

But you can read the posts - when they beat ECU last time it was a ton of nonsense and they lost a bunch of games. ECU sucks beyond belief - beating them means absolutely nothing.

I’ll worry Houston or anyone else when they show up and beat USF.
I don't think anyone really expects to win the AAC tourney but saying we aren't a good team is not totally fair. This team has no depth but if we somehow had a healthy Jalen & AG plus CV, Josh, Polley playing better now & Wilson / Tarin giving us a little help they are good just enough to have a chance.

The team hung in most games all year even when short handed & Carlton/Polley are better now but the depth is a big problem since we really only just barely go 6-7 deep . So with or without AG beating the 9, 1, 4, 2 seeds is pretty big ask in 4 days but on a given day i think we could beat any of them.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't think anyone really expects to win the AAC tourney but saying we aren't a good team is not totally fair. This team has no depth but if we had a healthy Jalen & AG plus CV, Josh, Polley playing better now they are good just enough to have a chance. The team hung in most games all year even when short handed but the depth is a big problem. So with or without AG beating the 9, 1, 4, 2 seeds is pretty big ask in 4 days but on a given day i think we could beat any of them.

Is Pittsburgh a good team? Is USC a good team?

Akron? DePaul?

I assume by now you’ve realized why I ask.

UConn might win the AAC. They have to play the games - but this isn’t a good team unless you also want to claim Notre Dame and Oklahoma State are good teams.

Reaction Score
Is Pittsburgh a good team? Is USC a good team?

Akron? DePaul?

I assume by now you’ve realized why I ask.

UConn might win the AAC. They have to play the games - but this isn’t a good team unless you also want to claim Notre Dame and Oklahoma State are good teams.
I guess we have different definitions of "good".............you apparently just see good or bad? I see teams as great, really good, good, bad, really bad, horrible. If a team manages to make the NCAA tournament by winning 4 games in 4 days I'll happily call them good...........so if any of the teams you mentioned do that they are good now. College BB teams can go from bad to good pretty quick, not great but good.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I guess we have different definitions of "good"...you apparently just see good or bad? I see teams as great, really good, good, bad, really bad, horrible. If a team manages to make the NCAA tournament by winning 4 games in 4 days I'll happily call them good......so if any of the teams you mentioned do that they are good now.

lol sure.

so you don’t think UConn is good now - but if they win the AAC you will declare them good.

make sense.

Reaction Score
I think we ll be favored by 3 ish over USF. And we pretty much hung with Houston without Jalen or AG - Houston played nobody this year. Cincys team last year was definitely better than this years houston. If AG plays Friday and Jalen Carlton and polley replicate the ECU game against USF Thursday, I bet u Houston is no more than a 5 point favorite Friday. Still think 40-1 odds is ridiculously steep in a blah conference. Stop trying to make this conference better than it is right now wichita st, smu, and uconn all stink. Houston is not better than last year and obviously neither is cincy. I think next year the conference will be very good. I don’t know why it’s so insane to think we can go on a run here on Jalens back. Who are u afraid of? Temple? Cmon

Reaction Score
lol sure.

so you don’t think UConn is good now - but if they win the AAC you will declare them good.

make sense.
dear lord, wtf do you mean by "good"........I think of good as good enough to beat good teams. If you beat 3 or 4 good teams in a row then yeah wtf you're good in CBB, its not the NBA.

Would we be Gonzaga or VA good, no of course not but once you get past the top 15 or so teams wtf is all that great........we barely lost to Cincy & Temple short handed, are they good?

Reaction Score
I still think we get past USF even if AG doesn’t play. If he doesn’t play against Houston I think that’s were our season will end. But if he does play, that wud be a double positive, because not only wud he bring it offensively and defensively, it wud also be less time Tarin Smith is on the floor to screw things up. Prolly a +10-15 pos/neg on the score board

Reaction Score
Are we great? No. Are we as bad as our record? No. Both can be true. We are a solidly above .500 team with rique and Jalen healthy
Agree with everything you said. We were 1-7 without Jalen. Even if Jalen didnt get hurt and we were just 4-4 in the games he missed, that would have put us at 18-12 overall and 9-9 in the AAC. That would basically guarantee us the NIT, and probably the 6 or 7 seed in the AAC Tournament.

C

Chief00

Good God stop it. He was going after a rebound outside the paint that had already hit the floor, and he was much closer to it than the dude that hit him.

You don't have to admit you're wrong -- in fact we all know YOU won't -- but at least stop arguing that black is white when everyone can see you're full of it.

LOL - I think you just described yourself.

While technically he was outside the paint - it was downlow directly adjacent to the paint. And if you don’t think compensating for an existing injury or bad flow can cause injuries - what can I say?

Last edited by a moderator:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Are we great? No. Are we as bad as our record? No. Both can be true. We are a solidly above .500 team with rique and Jalen healthy

great. they aren’t both healthy.

they have done exactly zero all season to show they are going to go on a 4 game run

is it out of the question? no they play the games but there is literally zero evidence that you should expect anything

Reaction Score
LOL - I think you just described yourself.

While technically he was outside the paint - it was downlow directly adjacent to the paint. And if you don’t think compensating for an existing injury or bad flow can cause injuries - what can I say?

We've both been on this board for over a decade. I'm not concerned that people might think that I'm less likely to admit a mistake than you. But then again, I'm grounded in reality and don't combine pissing and name dropping.

Reaction Score

they have done exactly zero all season to show they are going to go on a 4 game run

is it out of the question? no they play the games but there is literally zero evidence that you should expect anything

With the development of Carlton's who was really non-existent when both were healthy. Teams have to double him now or keep him in check which wasn't the case most of the season. You add that to Polley maybe finding his stroke with Vital as they have 12 threes between them the last two games. Lets add two dynamite guards and yes we can beat anyone in this league.

I feel let the offense flow through Carlton which can open up Polley and Vital and lets AG and Adams create. Let Jalen play on ball and let Gilbert run around screens to shoot, pass or drive.

Reaction Score

You must be @NOescalators on twitter. I would probably stop watching UConn sports if it made me as miserable as you appear to be. Why can't we all just be friends rather than bashing people for being a little bit optimistic?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You must be @NOescalators on twitter. I would probably stop watching UConn sports if it made me as miserable as you appear to be. Why can't we all just be friends rather than bashing people for being a little bit optimistic?

1000 apologies for not expecting this team to win four games in four days. I guess I should post more about how Gilbert who isn’t going to play is going to impact things?

Does no one remember his last shoulder injury?

55A22132-3072-4093-BD45-F1B8A6C04DCB.png

Reaction Score
Houston played nobody this year. Cincys team last year was definitely better than this years houston. If AG plays Friday and Jalen Carlton and polley replicate the ECU game against USF Thursday, I bet u Houston is no more than a 5 point favorite Friday.

Hello, I would like to take this bet. Please and thank you. It would be at least 8, probably closer to 10.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score

I have to agree. Maybe we win Thursday, but I don't see any way Houston doesn't win Friday. Would love to be wrong. But...

Reaction Score
we're 6 pages deep, you think any thread stays with it's topic? :)

C

Chief00

We've both been on this board for over a decade. I'm not concerned that people might think that I'm less likely to admit a mistake than you. But then again, I'm grounded in reality and don't combine pissing and name dropping.

Is my “mistake” not agreeing with you?

Quite frankly, your self proclaimed “grounded in reality” about basketball exhibits little understanding of the game.

Please give me an example of my name dropping? LOL - While over the last decade I may have mentioned a name or two incidentally - much more often I avoid dropping names or explaining my relationship to people. Proof is that few people here have any clue who I am. The only recent example I suppose is the recent urinial story. If you think that was about name dropping - you need a vacation.

Last edited by a moderator:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Dear Lord.

Im going to root like heck for my team.

But the USF game is a coin flip.

We couldnt handle them at all in January with a full team in Florida. They are just the sort of team that gives us fits. They are strong and can dribble drive from 4 positions. Then we BARELY squeaked by them at Gampel.

Anyone notice what SMU, a team who if it wasnt for us would have lost 9 games in a row, did to us? They have 7 available players and suck. They decimated us with dribble drives from 4 positions in one of the most pitiful displays of basketball Ive ever seen, and yes that includes the last 2 years.

Houston played a pretty mediocre game for them and STILL handled us at home by 8 points. They just throttled Cincinatti in Cincinatti by 16.

And now we will be without our only decent one on one defender. And people think they are overrated or that it is a tossup with them? Without Alterique? Yikes.

We have 1 road win (ECU) and 1 Neutral site win (Syracuse) ALL YEAR.

It's sports. Anything can happen. the US olympic kids beat the soviets.

But no one can really think after what weve seen out of this team all year and what our strengths and weaknesses are that we didnt get the worst matchups possible.

My Heart is ready for a miracle. My head is ready for, at best, a Friday beat down.

Reaction Score
I think we ll be favored by 3 ish over USF. And we pretty much hung with Houston without Jalen or AG - Houston played nobody this year. Cincys team last year was definitely better than this years houston. If AG plays Friday and Jalen Carlton and polley replicate the ECU game against USF Thursday, I bet u Houston is no more than a 5 point favorite Friday. Still think 40-1 odds is ridiculously steep in a blah conference. Stop trying to make this conference better than it is right now wichita st, smu, and uconn all stink. Houston is not better than last year and obviously neither is cincy. I think next year the conference will be very good. I don’t know why it’s so insane to think we can go on a run here on Jalens back. Who are u afraid of? Temple? Cmon
Houston played nobody? BYU, Oregon, Lamar, OK State before they removed 3 players, LSU, St Louis, UT State. That is not a bad schedule at all.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom