Alterique Update | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Alterique Update

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Got 'a agree with the Chief00 on this. When your bigs are able to battle for the boards, the guards attention is on where are their guards. When you have a front court deficit , the guards try to even it out.
Disagree
The ball was not under the hoop - it was in nowhere land, bigs were reaching back and if their guards are crashing what are our guards watching - your instinct is go to the loose ball if you are within reach
Guards helping out rebounding is not an anomaly

Reaction Score
Houston played nobody? BYU, Oregon, Lamar, OK State before they removed 3 players, LSU, St Louis, UT State. That is not a bad schedule at all.
Besides LSU. Which one of those teams is a tourney team? I’m seriously asking. I kno Oregon isn’t. I kno it’s cool to pump Houston up because they are the best team in our Conference , but going by the eye test, do u really think they re a top 10 team in country? Maybe top 20. I watched the game at XL and we were missing players on our team and only lost by 8. Sorry- they didn’t impress me. They re ok. Nice little squad. Maybe they ll prove me wrong come tourney time. We lost by 8 with no AG or Jalen. That shud tell u something

Reaction Score
Besides LSU. Which one of those teams is a tourney team? I’m seriously asking. I kno Oregon isn’t. I kno it’s cool to pump Houston up because they are the best team in our Conference , but going by the eye test, do u really think they re a top 10 team in country? Maybe top 20. I watched the game at XL and we were missing players on our team and only lost by 8. Sorry- they didn’t impress me. They re ok. Nice little squad. Maybe they ll prove me wrong come tourney time. We lost by 8 with no AG or Jalen. That shud tell u something
Well, when I look at the schedule, I don't just look at tourney teams. Teams with good records. NJIT was another one. When you play teams that win 18 to 20 games you are not assured of a win. I don't do "eye test"....some here use analytics, some eye test. The schedule is more than competitive. Comparative scores used can have Coppin State beating Kentucky...meaningless.

Reaction Score

I would say in Houston's defense that from 1 to 5 their guards are as good as anyone in the country. I haven't seen anyone play this year that has that many strong players in the back court. There may be better individual players, but their depth is tough to handle. Guards are big in March.

Reaction Score
Be happy that we have something to root for come Thursday take it one game at a time, this team can beat any team in the league it was proven all year with being competitive against every team in this league. There are no world beaters in our conference sorry it’s true.

C

Chief00

Disagree
The ball was not under the hoop - it was in nowhere land, bigs were reaching back and if their guards are crashing what are our guards watching - your instinct is go to the loose ball if you are within reach
Guards helping out rebounding is not an anomaly

Sorry I have to overrule. The ball was in rebounding territory. With the raising popularity of the 3 point shot attempts, the effective rebounding zip code has expanded to the left and right of the 3 second lane.

Reaction Score
Sorry I have to overrule. The ball was in rebounding territory. With the raising popularity of the 3 point shot attempts, the effective rebounding zip code has expanded to the left and right of the 3 second lane.
You could have just "disagreed"...but noooooo, you went straight to over rule.

Reaction Score
Maybe our guards wouldn't be so eager to go for the rebounds if we had a 4 that didn't consistently give us a 0 in the rebound category!

In fairness to the point though, it was a freak play that had nothing to do with AG previous injuries. You can argue he shouldn't be battling with the big boys, but that's a character trait of someone who is all heart and grit. To be 5'11 and go after a rebound that's coming in his general direction, you want that fight in a player. I would never ask any player to put a limit on their determination and toughness. Someone who battles that hard is all heart, all passion. If your take on this subject is to really ask AG to stop going after the rebounds because he may get hurt, I call BS. You want that in your players.

ETA: Any place a ball goes on the court after a missed shot is considered "in rebounding territory"

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
With the development of Carlton's who was really non-existent when both were healthy. Teams have to double him now or keep him in check which wasn't the case most of the season. You add that to Polley maybe finding his stroke with Vital as they have 12 threes between them the last two games. Lets add two dynamite guards and yes we can beat anyone in this league.

I feel let the offense flow through Carlton which can open up Polley and Vital and lets AG and Adams create. Let Jalen play on ball and let Gilbert run around screens to shoot, pass or drive.

They'd probably be better than they were, I agree, but I'd say:
  1. Teams don't have to double Carlton. They are doing it as a strategy because we have nothing else. He'll be more effective yes, but he's not Anthony Davis down there.
  2. Polley and Vital are both streaky as hell. If they are going good, they are lights out. If not, it's brick city. I'm not sure it matters who they are playing with.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Hello, I would like to take this bet. Please and thank you. It would be at least 8, probably closer to 10.

If there's room for me, I'd like to jump in on this too. I don't even thing AG is going to be available (based on no inside info).

Reaction Score
Houston is 29-2 and have senior leaders. Does anything else need to be said?
This team knows how to win.

Houston knows how to win in the regular season, but they could very well be another Cincinnati.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I don’t know why I keep coming back to this thread to check on an actual AG update.. guess I’m a glutton for punishment.. Head bang

You'll see a new thread if he's playing. So I wouldn't bother.

Reaction Score
I don’t know why I keep coming back to this thread to check on an actual AG update.. guess I’m a glutton for punishment.. Head bang
You should try a glutton free diet. You'll feel a lot better

Reaction Score
Is my “mistake” not agreeing with you?

Please give me an example of my name dropping? LOL -.......... Proof is that few people here have any clue who I am. The only recent example I suppose is the recent urinial story. If you think that was about name dropping - you need a vacation.

So, this isn't you? My mistake.
1552416982145.png

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
lol sure.

so you don’t think UConn is good now - but if they win the AAC you will declare them good.

make sense.
Lol, hey why not? A lot of people did that in 2011 and that turned out okay.

(For all you killjoys out there: ....yes, yes, I know this team isn't the 2011 team, Jalen's no Kemba, yada, yada, yada)

Reaction Score
Men's program just posted a few pics of the team getting on a plane. AG not seen in any of the photos. You'd think they would considering the interest about him. Get well soon AG!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Lol, hey why not? A lot of people did that in 2011 and that turned out okay.

(For all you killjoys out there: ....yes, yes, I know this team isn't the 2011 team, Jalen's no Kemba, yada, yada, yada)

is good and not good that hard for people?

the 2011 team went into the Big East tournament at #26 in ken pom.

this team is #102 and has lost 12 in a row against top 100.

so yeah i’d say comparing the two teams is pretty dopey and if one can’t discern the difference in quality between them maybe sit it out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom