All Time Favorite Women's Player and why? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

All Time Favorite Women's Player and why?

Reaction Score
Not popular around here but Skylar Diggins get my vote. She's a lefty, a leader, and plays the game with a lot of confidence. She also had a nice edge to her game in college, just enough nasty that it wasn't dirty at all, and still enjoyable to watch. She was also 7 and 8 vs Uconn all time, not sure any one player has that type of record vs Uconn.

freekimchee

food whisperer
Reaction Score
Having gone to school during her time there, Kate Starbird was the reason I first started watching WCBB. Shea kept me interested...but Dee got me forever hooked.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Catchings.

She always gives 100%.
She and Kara are my 2 favorite former Tenn players. NO one worked harder every second she was on the court than Catch, but Lawson is such a tremendous analyst and commentator that it's a tough call for me. Playing-wise, though, Catch for sure.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Saniya Chong. I'm not sure why. She was a class of one (my previous favorite player was Kelly Faris). I saw a bunch of footage of her on youtube before she enrolled and liked her instantly. Now she's such a great story -- persevered through all of her trials and tribulations and ultimately succeeded, got drafted in the W, and is one of the best players in the Israeli league. BTW, her team has now won almost twice as many games as last year, and are in first place.

Reaction Score
Not popular around here but Skylar Diggins get my vote. She's a lefty, a leader, and plays the game with a lot of confidence. She also had a nice edge to her game in college, just enough nasty that it wasn't dirty at all, and still enjoyable to watch. She was also 7 and 8 vs Uconn all time, not sure any one player has that type of record vs Uconn.
OK - for someone who calls himself “Go/huskies” that’s just wrong!

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Favorites, in no particular order: Birdy, Stewie, Penny Taylor, EDD, Big Syl, Maya, MoJet, Simone Augustus, Sloot, Dee, Stef, and Emma Meessaman...

Criterion: They all are high-motor players who are selfless and very skilled.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
It is very easy for me. Cassie Harberts.
Many on this forum may not have heard of her. Geno and CD have, as they recruited her and visited her house in 2009. She played on 2 USA teams, 2010 FIBA Americas team and the 2013 World University team, both won Gold Medals. She started and played in every game at USC(the one near my neck of the woods). She finished 7th all time in scoring at USC behind Cheryl Miller, Lisa Leslie, Cherie Nelson, Pam and Paula McGee And Tina Thompson. She finished 8th overall in rebounds. She played in, and started, every game while at USC. If USC hadnt won the Pac 12 Tournament in 2014 she never would have played in an NCAA Tournament game. Cassie scored the last 10 points in the USC vs Stanford game, in the semi finals. I knew then they wouldnt lose the next day against OSU. Cassie also played for Cal Swish, with Lous older sisters Bonnie and Karlie, and was on the Swish team that won Nike Nationals in 2009.
I adore Lou, but if I didnt know Cassie and her family since she was 10 I would never had met all of the players and families on her Cal Swish team, including Lou Bonnie and Karlie. One thing led to another and I was lucky to meet so many wonderful people in the game, all because Cassie's mom said that I better come to her HS games, and I did. While at USC, I have went on road trips to watch her play in California, Arizona, Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Tennessee, Nebraska and Ohio, also in South Carolina at the Nike Nationals. I also watched her play pro ball in Australia in 2014/15(thats a road trip).
Lou is by far my favorite current player and I adore her and what she brings to the game and Lou the person is fabulous. I am so glad Lou continues to keep the flame glowing for me. I cant beat these two. By the way both Cassie and Lou have the highest BB IQ of any players I have known.

Reaction Score
A true Diana Taurasi story-

My season ticket holder partner Glenn's oldest son Chad was a sophomore at UCONN in 2001. He and 4 buddies were shooting around in August one evening in Gampel.
A girl came in dribbling a BB and after a couple minutes asked the guys if they could play a game of 3v3 1/2 court. They said ok and divided up.
The girl was grabbing shirts, shorts, punching, elbowing, "talking big time trash", cursing like a sailor, and making every shot inside or outside she took!
Finally Chad stopped and said "who the hell are you?" The girl said her name was Diana Taurasi from California and she was going to be a freshman on the UCONN WBB team!
Chad told his Dad, it was like playing with a guy, all the street traits you hear star MBB players had in cities like NY, Chicago, LA, Detroit on the playgrounds.
And that's still DT today!

Reaction Score
It will always be Maya for me. For the way she carries herself off the court as well as on, and continues to be a winner. Diana's was great but her legend is closely linked to those fearless games she had against Tennessee. Unfortunately, Maya was never allowed that opportunity.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Sorry bags better check your glasses daddy choc is kml lol:cool:
thanks... I was gonna say something but said "nah hopefully someone else mentions it"

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
My favorite all-time player is "Ms. USC" herself.....Cheryl Miller. I loved Cheryl's attitude. Cheryl knew she could score, rebound and block, so she played with a beast mentality.

My favorite UConn players are Diana Taurasi and Maya Moore. I love Diana and Maya. Diana and Maya both knew they were ballers. Diana and Maya would take over a game, and you knew they could take the game winning basket. Even though Diana and Maya could take over a game, they were also unselfish players. Diana and Maya still play with that passion in their professional career.

Reaction Score
Stewie ...she led the team to four titles. Period! When the game was on the line she always came through.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Diana She had a flair for the dramatic in the biggest moments of the game. She made everyone around her better and could take over a game and no one could stop her. As great as the greatest players are no player could do what she did.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Different players strike different chords!
Rebecca Lobo: Guard skills at a big girl position
Jen Rizzotti: Cut your heart out intensity
Jamelle Elliott: Knowing what the team needed game-to-game and providing it
Nykesha Sales: The quiet leader
Shea Ralph, Caroline Doty, Kalana Greene, & Morgan Tuck: All 4 coming back from severe injuries to make themselves highly competitive when their bodies wasn't the same athleticly
Svet Abrosimova: The courage at 17 to come from Russia to USA and blend in seamlessly, showing an all around game. And handling her UCONN ending injury with class!
Diana Taurasi: Always carried herself as the "fastest gun" no matter the game or the stage. The greatest WINNER in WBB!
Maria Conlon: To shock all the experts that said she'd never amount to much
Sue Bird: The quiet confidence that when it was crunch time she wanted the ball in HER hands. Always knows what is needed to win the game
Asjha Jones: Quietly professional
Tamika Williams: Consistent
Swin Cash: The ability to always rise to the occassion
Jessica Moore: Her play in title game with torn ACL and performing as a champion
Renee Montgomery: To finally "get" what Geno was preaching and become an extension of him on the court
Tiffany Hayes: To run through a wall to win a game. The "floor burns kid"!
Maya Moore: The intelligence that made her a winner on the court and off
Tina Charles: To turn herself around after 2 trying years to make herself one of the top Big Girls in the World
Kelly Faris: The ultimate teammate, to do whatever was required of her to make UCONN successful
Kara Woltors & Stef Dolson: The grit to turn their lives around to make their bodies able to do the dirty work always with a smile
Kiah Stokes: To survive in the pressure cooker that is UCONN WBB and make herself a valuable player
Saniya Chong: To persevere 3 questionable years to have an outstanding senior year and become a successful professional
Moriah Jefferson: To turn herself around during the off season between her freshman & sophomore years to make herself a great AA and professional
Brianna Stewart: To take all her awesome skills and make them more outstanding
Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis: Made the critics of her body type sit up and take notice
Gabby Williams: The greatest "pure athlete" UCONN WBB has ever had and the ability to perform at such a high level for 40 minutes, game after game
Kia Nurse: A Jen Rizzotti clone

No Barbara Turner? No Amy Duran? No Stacy Hansmeyer? No Shuey?

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It is very easy for me. Cassie Harberts.
Many on this forum may not have heard of her. Geno and CD have, as they recruited her and visited her house in 2009. She played on 2 USA teams, 2010 FIBA Americas team and the 2013 World University team, both won Gold Medals. She started and played in every game at USC(the one near my neck of the woods). She finished 7th all time in scoring at USC behind Cheryl Miller, Lisa Leslie, Cherie Nelson, Pam and Paula McGee And Tina Thompson. She finished 8th overall in rebounds. She played in, and started, every game while at USC. If USC hadnt won the Pac 12 Tournament in 2014 she never would have played in an NCAA Tournament game. Cassie scored the last 10 points in the USC vs Stanford game, in the semi finals. I knew then they wouldnt lose the next day against OSU. Cassie also played for Cal Swish, with Lous older sisters Bonnie and Karlie, and was on the Swish team that won Nike Nationals in 2009.
I adore Lou, but if I didnt know Cassie and her family since she was 10 I would never had met all of the players and families on her Cal Swish team, including Lou Bonnie and Karlie. One thing led to another and I was lucky to meet so many wonderful people in the game, all because Cassie's mom said that I better come to her HS games, and I did. While at USC, I have went on road trips to watch her play in California, Arizona, Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Tennessee, Nebraska and Ohio, also in South Carolina at the Nike Nationals. I also watched her play pro ball in Australia in 2014/15(thats a road trip).
Lou is by far my favorite current player and I adore her and what she brings to the game and Lou the person is fabulous. I am so glad Lou continues to keep the flame glowing for me. I cant beat these two. By the way both Cassie and Lou have the highest BB IQ of any players I have known.
I remember Cassie. What is she doing now?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Moriah Jefferson. Loved the development in her game and despite her crazy accomplishments, she's still underrated because she was overshadowed by Stewie. She had a friendly demeanor that hid the fact she would just terrorize opposing guards.
I'm glad someone said Moriah. Though Maya is my favorite, Moriah was awesome and underrated. She will terrorize the WNBA when she gets healthy.

Reaction Score
Way too hard to have a favorite player for me. Team kind of guy and if forced the list would be way too long.
Now if this thread were to be looking for all time favorite play that would be DT punching the Tennessee stanchion. That and her comment afterward "I just had to punch something orange" ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom