All Time Favorite Women's Player and why? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

All Time Favorite Women's Player and why?

Reaction Score
With UConn34, my favorite HUSKY is Jen: she really does personify making the most out of your gifts
With DaddyChoc, my favorite PLAYER is Maya: she really does have the most gifts

if that makes any sense....
Sorry bags better check your glasses daddy choc is kml lol:cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nobody in Uconn history won like Diana in 03 & 04! Sorry nobody in WCBB history won like Diana in 03 & O4! Diana is 2nd All Time in assist at Uconn and she was the sg for 4 years. Moriah passed her in 2016 in the FF against Oregon State! In 2002 Bird and Taurasi averaged 14.5 and around 5.4 assist each! POY Sue Bird said Dee could average double the points if she wanted to in 2002 ( SI 2002 ). Diana played with no other AAs in 03 & 04 and won because she made all her teammates better and had the swag to do it!

Reaction Score
The player that epitomizes the Huskies for me is Shea.
I remember reading a piece back in the day, on a road trip to OSU, I believe, she freaked out the whole opposing school by out lifting their football team in the weight room!

Reaction Score
I remember reading a piece back in the day, on a road trip to OSU, I believe, she freaked out the whole opposing school by out lifting their football team in the weight room!
I was going to say Sveta Abosamosa---she was poetry to watch. But I have agree---SHEA--is what I see when I think Uconn--as a player see was as good as any of the Male practice players, and usually better, she was as tough as any Uconn player before or since. The things she'd do under the basket for her size was unbelivable. When she was in a game, we knew we'd win.
As a coach--she teaches tough, she teaches smart, she is the GUARD coach--I ask you how have our GUARDS done since SHEA has been coaching them? Hartley, Moriah, Danger--only the cream on the top--but those just below are the best of the best--as Shea goes so goes the huskies...

Reaction Score
Carla Berube....flipping through the channels quite a few years ago I landed on my first women's BB game. Carla was playing her usual fundamentally sound, unselfish game. her defensive tenacity was quite clear. Have been a fan ever since and owe it to the impression she made.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
maya tough smaller.jpg
..yes, i do like this particular photo :)

"A man inspires affection and honor, because he was not lying in wait for these. The things of a man for which we visit him, were done in the dark and cold." ---- Emerson

There are those who are not all that talented and who, having long known this to be true, set themselves on a path to success through hard work and unwavering commitment, sacrificing much. A few of these will walk this path with grace and humility. Once in a while, their pursuit will inspire others around them.

Then there are those who are born with great talent and who, also knowing this to be true, seek to enjoy it, exploring the limits of what they can do without sacrificing too much or taking away from other parts of their life.

Once in a [Husky] Blue moon, someone comes along with both 1-in-a-million talent and 1-in-a-million virtues. ..That's Maya.

It has been said that once when she was in high school (as a two-time Naismith winner), Maya's coach went back to the gym to make sure it was locked after practice and found Maya doing suicide drills alone, in the darkened gym.

Emerson would be proud.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Different players strike different chords!
Rebecca Lobo: Guard skills at a big girl position
Jen Rizzotti: Cut your heart out intensity
Jamelle Elliott: Knowing what the team needed game-to-game and providing it
Nykesha Sales: The quiet leader
Shea Ralph, Caroline Doty, Kalana Greene, & Morgan Tuck: All 4 coming back from severe injuries to make themselves highly competitive when their bodies wasn't the same athleticly
Svet Abrosimova: The courage at 17 to come from Russia to USA and blend in seamlessly, showing an all around game. And handling her UCONN ending injury with class!
Diana Taurasi: Always carried herself as the "fastest gun" no matter the game or the stage. The greatest WINNER in WBB!
Maria Conlon: To shock all the experts that said she'd never amount to much
Sue Bird: The quiet confidence that when it was crunch time she wanted the ball in HER hands. Always knows what is needed to win the game
Asjha Jones: Quietly professional
Tamika Williams: Consistent
Swin Cash: The ability to always rise to the occassion
Jessica Moore: Her play in title game with torn ACL and performing as a champion
Renee Montgomery: To finally "get" what Geno was preaching and become an extension of him on the court
Tiffany Hayes: To run through a wall to win a game. The "floor burns kid"!
Maya Moore: The intelligence that made her a winner on the court and off
Tina Charles: To turn herself around after 2 trying years to make herself one of the top Big Girls in the World
Kelly Faris: The ultimate teammate, to do whatever was required of her to make UCONN successful
Kara Woltors & Stef Dolson: The grit to turn their lives around to make their bodies able to do the dirty work always with a smile
Kiah Stokes: To survive in the pressure cooker that is UCONN WBB and make herself a valuable player
Saniya Chong: To persevere 3 questionable years to have an outstanding senior year and become a successful professional
Moriah Jefferson: To turn herself around during the off season between her freshman & sophomore years to make herself a great AA and professional
Brianna Stewart: To take all her awesome skills and make them more outstanding
Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis: Made the critics of her body type sit up and take notice
Gabby Williams: The greatest "pure athlete" UCONN WBB has ever had and the ability to perform at such a high level for 40 minutes, game after game
Kia Nurse: A Jen Rizzotti clone

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Tough question.

My all-time favorite is probably Delle Donne, as she has brought me the most joy watching basketball. She's the reason I started watching the Sky and the reason I became a season ticket holder. It was just such a treat to watch her play every night (when healthy).

I don't hold her trade against her (in no other field do we balk at people working in the city of their choice) but it definitely has lessened the intensity of my fandom for her.

Vandersloot is probably my favorite player now. It's close between her and Kayla McBride. McBride is the reason I started following Notre Dame and women's college basketball generally. Vandersloot is my favorite Sky player now and she is just tough as nails. It 's so easy to root for her because you know she is giving 100% at all times. It makes me happy seeing how well they are doing playing together in Turkey.

Favorite current ND player is probably Ogunbowale narrowly over Turner.

Reaction Score
DT....

Most confident and clutch player I've ever seen. When it's time to win a game, D delivers. Leadership qualities second to none.

Quintessential jock, with an attitude that could not be contained. Transitioning from Chino to Storrs had to be tough. Her off the cuff comments were hilarious; her riff on CD priceless. It helped being the world's best woman basketball player, a legacy, and longevity that still resonates.

Reaction Score
Who is your all time favorite player and why? I am really more interested in the why than the who. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Not necessarily in order, this is hard because I don’t want to leave anyone out

Kelly Faris, you know why
Diana, rooting for Dee was the most fun to be had anywhere
Dolson - what a passer, and she knew how to have fun, easy to root for
Stewart - just because she was so good at everything
Gabby Williams - no player, not even “Maya the incomparable” has made me go “Wow” so often
Jen – the bulldog, who would surprise you with scores just when you needed them the most
Nykesha – She did it all, and is still the all time UConn thief to boot
Carla Berube, an elegant basketball player, does anyone remember her filling fin at center or Kara W when she missed a game, Carla did quite well, Carla was Sveta before we had Sveta\
Of course Sveta, who is probably my all time favorite of favorites
I loved the whole TASSK force and Sue is at the top of the list, but I had a special place in my heart for Tamika Williams, who may have been the best of the bunch
Shea, what can I say. Heart and Hustle, Shea’s Junior year was one of the finest seasons any Husky has had, as was Sveta’s Sophomore season. Shea was Kelly Faris with more scoring ability.
Maya and Rebecca can’t be left off any list each for their own reasons
Meghan Gardler was a favorite, she got the most out of her ability. You gotta love it when a beauty like that is willing to mix it up under the boards.
The point guards Crystal Dangerfield, Renee, Rita Williams (who seems forgotten by this board)
The forwards, Ann Strother, Jessica Moore, Barbara Turner, Wilnett
Moriah Jefferson might have approached Gabbulouse in Wow moments
I will always have a special place for Jamelle, and Barbara Turner, two would be Wes Unselds who had more heart than most. Had Barbara Turner been 6’4” she would have been king of the world. Watch Jamelle in the ’95 championship game sometime.

All Hustle team, Ashly Battle

Its been a fun ride, so far

Reaction Score
I'm with Reno Tony on this one. So many great players from which to choose, but, for me, it's Kelly Faris, in large measure because she was naturally so much less gifted than so many others, yet became a great star on effort, selflessness, and determination...the ultimate college player. I only wish she had not elected to go pro.

Reaction Score
KML

To me, with apologies to Katie, still the best 3 shooter in history, and the most beautiful shot. She got the most out of her physique to make herself a driver and rebounder.

In her great game against ND, she personally destroyed two ND comebacks.

Her joyful personality belied how hard she worked.

After a game, as the team had run off the court and into the corridor to the locker rooms, a camera was there. Kaleena, panting but smiling, yelled to her teammates, “we can stop running, the game’s over.”

But, If I had to choose one to have been in my infantry squad in Vietnam, it would be Kelly Faris.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not really meaning to rain on anyone's parade, however.

She has won multiple championships in the Euro league.
I believe she only played 1 year for Ros Caracas before she went to the Chinese League.

Out lifting the Ohio State University football team??? Out lifting 300+ lbs offensive linemen??? You sure about that???

One UCONN player that I wished I had been able to see play 2 more years. Was really bummed when she transferred.

Kennitra Johnson

0326SV11-01.jpg

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
How blessed are we to have such a rich history that most of the players chosen are on the wall of honor and decorated players not only during their UCONN careers, but after as well. The sheer amount of star power that has come from the little agricultural college in Storrs is second to none.

I agree with the people who said it's like picking your favorite child. But ultimately I'd probably have to go with Dee - not because she is the GOAT, which she is, but honestly I don't think there is a player who has ever played with as much passion, intensity, moxie, and flair. She was just a joy to watch...

Reaction Score
I think my avatar says it all. DT will never be surpassed in my heart. Her swagger and her ability to finish are what I like. She was a "closer" you could always rely on. I like a kid who doesn't just walk through the door, but blows the door off the hinges. She did that.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'm sure there is some recency bias, but also only in recent years have I been able to watch nearly every game on TV of various teams, to really be able to observe the ebb and flow of players' careers. With that said, my favorite has to be Kelsey Plum. Immensely entertaining to watch. Her Sr. year...I've never seen another player be that consistently excellent game after game after game for an entire season. Next favorite I would have to go with Jamie Weisner. I've enjoyed seeing some of the greats from UConn, but I don't get to watch them play nearly as frequently. I've also very much enjoyed watching many great players from Stanford over the years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom