All Time Favorite Women's Player and why? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

All Time Favorite Women's Player and why?

Reaction Score
Two I want to point out both hail from my home state of Mississippi. Latoya Thomas played at Mississippi State from 1999 to 2003. She was the biggest recruit MSU ever landed. Hailing from Greenville, MS, she chose to stay home despite a ton of offers from what I was told. She is maybe 6'2 but was forced to play down low for her college career. She was a Kodak All American 4 times and led the SEC in scoring all 4 years she played. She was almost impossible to stop one on one and made MSU a respectable team during her time after many years at the bottom of the SEC. I watched her play in person and was amazed at her skill. Thomas was the number one pick of the 03 WNBA draft and played one year in Cleveland before the team folded. She played a couple of more seasons but injuries ended her career a little earlier than expected.

The other is Amentie Price. Price played at Ole Miss from 2003 to 2007. My niece played high school basketball against her and told me how good she was. She played forward at only 5'9 but could jump out of a gym. I saw highlights of her high school state finals game where she set a then state record of 52 points to win the title. She was offered by several mid major programs but I was told Ole Miss was her biggest offer. At 5'9 she led the SEC in rebounding several years and basically got Ole Miss to the E8 her senior year after beating Maryland, the defending champions, in the 2nd round. Very undersized but incredibly athletic, she didn't have much of an outside shot but could fill a stat sheet and always managed to score against bigger opponents. She was chosen number 3 in the WNBA draft and won Rookie of the Year. She played a few seasons with Chicago and Atlanta that I recall. Now Price-Harrington, she is Director of Player Development for Ole Miss.

Both young ladies could have gone to other programs but chose to stay close to their roots and elevated their teams to more achievements than in recent memories while they played.

Reaction Score
Way too hard to have a favorite player for me. Team kind of guy and if forced the list would be way too long.
.... ;)

Just ran through the thread. I agree with most selections. The ones that are missing will appear soon enough. ;)

Reaction Score
If I had to pick a Husky or alum to represent the human race to an alien race, I would pick Maya. Having said that, Moriah was my favorite to watch.

Reaction Score
I will keep this one shorter than before but did want to chime in on a few more I loved watching. Catchings is my all time favorite LV. She never quit on any play when she was out on the floor. She had some pretty big injuries but came back each time and had a great college and professional career. Catchings in her prime was a joy to watch.

Bird is the consummate point guard and always appears so humble and gracious. Maya is so good she makes it look effortless and like Bird just seems to be a respectful person.

In contrast, DT is brash, foul mouthed, shows her emotions on her face and talks a lot of trash. She was the perfect "villain" during her games against UT and when she shoots lights out there isn't much the other team can do. She is the Larry Bird of women's basketball though and I wouldn't bet against her in clutch situations. If I were a coach in an end game situation, DT gets the ball every time. She isn't my "favorite" but definitely one I admire her talent and will to win.

Reaction Score
My all time favorite player is Kara Walters. She worked her butt off to become an intimitating player in the post and became the NPOY. She epitomizes Geno's philosophy that working hard everyday in practise will reap dividends in games.

Reaction Score
DT! A game between earth and the aliens. Aliens lead by 2 points 10 seconds to the end of the game that will decide if exarch survives...who will you want to take that last 3 point shot to win the game for earth? My choice is DT (oh...the game is a womens game)!

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
For me drawing from the long history of great UConn basketball players because if I were to include those players not in a UConn uniform I would be here all night...And, until someone comes along who could make me forget and that is highly unlikely...it has to be Diana "I just wanted to hit something orange" Taurasi. A close 2nd is Maya Moore...grace, power, efficiency, intelligence and will to win. Third is Stewie, Morgan Tuck and Moriah who have to be taken as a tandem both get a raw deal...because they are the most accomplish...4 peat...puleeese..incredible. Stewie the most unique combination of size and talent...a one of a kind player...Moriah the most exciting person to watch...you knew that inevitably there was going to "oooh-ahh" moment...the incredible defensive reads leading to spectacular steals and blinding speed coast to coast lay-ups, the rugby-like scrums of numerous players going after the ball and like magic all of a sudden Moriah emerges from the pack with the ball and her ability to make her 5'3" frame to leap over tall buildings to rebound or to release her picture perfect jump shot. Morgan Tuck...quiet, strong leadership, workhorse, gets the job done, when healthy dependable, under-rated, unheralded leader. Honorable mention...Sue Bird, Tina Charles, Rebecca Lobo, Jennifer Rizzotti, Jamelle Elliott, Carla Berube, Kara Wolters, Rita Williams, Svetlana Abrosinova, Shea Ralph, BT express(Barbara Turner), Asjha Jones, Tamika Williams, Ann Strothers, Gabby Williams, Napheesa Collier, Katie Lou Samuelson, Renee Montgomery, Ketia "speed demon" Swanier, Mel Thomas, Kelly Faris, Maria Conlon, My Karate Student - Tierney Lawlor.

Players that make you wonder what could have been: Nicole Wolfe, Kiersten Walters, Carolyn Doty, Brittany Hunter, Jackie Gemelos, Elena DellaDonne.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
I've already posted about my favorite UConn WCBB player (Ann Strother), but I've been interested in the comments by others about prominent non-UConn players. So I thought I'd add my favorite in that category as well.

She played high school ball in the town next to mine in NJ, and college ball not far from where I started college. Her name is Carol “Blaze” Blazejowski and she dominated the sport in the mid and late 70's.

She was only 5”10” but had a great jump shot. At Montclair State College she was a three-year All-American and won the inaugural Wade Trophy in 1978. She led the nation in scoring in her junior and senior years with a 39 points per game average – and this when there was no three-point shot! She also averaged 10+ rebounds per game. She set a Madison Square Garden record with 52 points in a game in '78 and took MSC to the Final Four.

She led the U.S. team to Silver Medal in the '79 World University Games and the Gold Medal in both the Pan Am Games and the World Championships that year (the first U.S. championship in more than two decades!) and was the U.S. team's leading scorer. She also helped the U.S. earn the Gold Medal at the Jones Cup Tournament in Taiwan. She was named to the 1980 U.S. Olympic team, but the U.S. wound up boycotting the Olympics.

In 1980 Blaze received the most lucrative contract – $150,000, a lot of money four decades ago – in the history of women's basketball from the NJ Gems. But a year later the league went out of business. Blaze forged a career on the business side of basketball and later became the General Manager and then President of the WNBA New York Liberty. She is enshrined in both the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame in Knoxville and the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield.

Few remember that she played a game at Gampel Pavilion in the early 90's. It was a barnstorming team playing pre-season exhibition games with college teams and they took on the Huskies. My daughter was playing AAU ball at the time and I was able to take her to the game and introduce her to Blaze, who was very generous with her time, advice and encouragement.

Reaction Score
I've already posted about my favorite UConn WCBB player (Ann Strother), but I've been interested in the comments by others about prominent non-UConn players. So I thought I'd add my favorite in that category as well.

She played high school ball in the town next to mine in NJ, and college ball not far from where I started college. Her name is Carol “Blaze” Blazejowski and she dominated the sport in the mid and late 70's.

She was only 5”10” but had a great jump shot. At Montclair State College she was a three-year All-American and won the inaugural Wade Trophy in 1978. She led the nation in scoring in her junior and senior years with a 39 points per game average – and this when there was no three-point shot! She also averaged 10+ rebounds per game. She set a Madison Square Garden record with 52 points in a game in '78 and took MSC to the Final Four.

She led the U.S. team to Silver Medal in the '79 World University Games and the Gold Medal in both the Pan Am Games and the World Championships that year (the first U.S. championship in more than two decades!) and was the U.S. team's leading scorer. She also helped the U.S. earn the Gold Medal at the Jones Cup Tournament in Taiwan. She was named to the 1980 U.S. Olympic team, but the U.S. wound up boycotting the Olympics.

In 1980 Blaze received the most lucrative contract – $150,000, a lot of money four decades ago – in the history of women's basketball from the NJ Gems. But a year later the league went out of business. Blaze forged a career on the business side of basketball and later became the General Manager and then President of the WNBA New York Liberty. She is enshrined in both the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame in Knoxville and the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield.

Few remember that she played a game at Gampel Pavilion in the early 90's. It was a barnstorming team playing pre-season exhibition games with college teams and they took on the Huskies. My daughter was playing AAU ball at the time and I was able to take her to the game and introduce her to Blaze, who was very generous with her time, advice and encouragement.

Saw a top 10 for the best WCBB ever and at No.2 was Diana! No.1 was the Blaze! just saw it yesterday.

Reaction Score
Carla Berube....flipping through the channels quite a few years ago I landed on my first women's BB game. Carla was playing her usual fundamentally sound, unselfish game. her defensive tenacity was quite clear. Have been a fan ever since and owe it to the impression she made.
I voted for Shea, but Beroooobe was also my original favorite , thank you CPTV!
Carla was solid and clutch!

Reaction Score
Lou because she came in as a three-point shooter, and as was proven last night, she has become a complete player. Also, she's been elbowed, knocked down, pushed, shoved, gouged, mauled, played half of a semi final game with a broken foot, and she threw up throughout the Maryland game, was the leading scorer and helped UConn continue their unbeaten streak. She's had more black eyes than anyone I know who plays basketball. She has such unbridled enthusiasm that she displays whenever she's on the court. That's why Lou's my favorite.

Reaction Score
Who is your all time favorite player and why? I am really more interested in the why than the who. Thanks in advance for your replies.
For me, it is Gabby. Firstly, because her talent is so extraordinary and was, to many, largely unexpected. There is no one better driving to the hoop ( right or left ); there is no one who can make such exceptionally perfect passes for assists; her court awareness ( where her teammates are at any given second) is the best; she is disruptive to the other team all over the court while, at the same time, able to compete for rebounds with players as good ( and big ) as A'jai Wilson ( who will be the number one pick of the WNBA). Watching Gabby has simply been a thrill. Her speed, her confidence, and her ability to control the ball are wonders to behold. And when she hits that outside shot ( as she did yesterday ), there is no one better. She also sets a standard for the term, " hustle." And now, she is playing at less than 100% physically ( hip strain ) but who could tell? Of all the amazing talents that have worn the UCONN uniform, there is no one I have enjoyed watching play as much as Gabby. I am uneasy, knowing that senior night will be upon us soon.

I must also say, I give a vote for Kia Nurse. Steady, strong, reliable and excellent at everything. Our best one on one defender for 40 minutes. Fantastic on the fast break. And now, leading the country in converting "3's". She is simply wonderful. A rock. A teammate and leader for the ages. Really tough.

And don't get me started on Katy Lou. Her pre-game smile and confidence, joined with a look of intensity at critical moments, do not detract from her ability to make the biggest play at the most critical moment.

Note to editor: I do believe that many of the great players in the past suffer in my response from the distance of time and faded memory. I mean, Stewie? Sue Bird? Maya? Diana? There is no end to the incredible talent we have witnessed.

But I do believe I would always answer Gabby to your inquiry.

Reaction Score
Favorite all time--Maya. Pure grace of movement and intelligence.
Favorite current--the Gabulous one. Her athleticism has me shaking my head in disbelief and I haven't said 'wow' so much since Maya was playing.

Reaction Score
I already voted (DT), but my 2nd all-time fav is Nykesha. Gabby's athleticism, but a more polished basketball player and offensive wunderkind, even as a freshman.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Gotta add my second favorite since she hasn't been mentioned yet... Mel Thomas :) Just loved her! Her personality and growth and leadership! And I feel for her so much, ending her career injured, and being the only class in the last 20 years not to have won a championship (darn injury to her and Kalana Greene!).

Reaction Score
I have to go back to what got me hooked on this team and this program - Laura Lishness. Loved the role players and not necessarily the ones who got all the ink - Crockett, Conlon, Turner, Hansmeyer........

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Hands down.... Chelsea Gray. Her all around game.....playmaking ability... court vision... passing skills..... could score, but loved to get others involved. The way she interacted with her teammates.... definitely the heart and soul of the team during her career at Duke. Still breaks my heart that her final two seasons ended prematurely due to injuries :(

Reaction Score
Tough question.

My all-time favorite is probably Delle Donne, as she has brought me the most joy watching basketball. She's the reason I started watching the Sky and the reason I became a season ticket holder. It was just such a treat to watch her play every night (when healthy)..
Got some stones putting this on a UConn board :) . Seriously, good choice.
My heart divides here. Maya is the greatest, most talented human being ever to touch a basketball. But Stef is the the coolest (and has made the most of her given talents).

Reaction Score
I have to go back to what got me hooked on this team and this program - Laura Lishness. Loved the role players and not necessarily the ones who got all the ink - Crockett, Conlon, Turner, Hansmeyer...
I like reading about Laura Lishness(her name sounds athletic). I don't consider her a role player due to the fact that she was cocaptain of the team in her day. To me she and Bascom are Husky legends. Would be nice to have a 1991 team reunion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom