All Players Attending Hurley Presser | Page 4 | The Boneyard

All Players Attending Hurley Presser

Reaction Score
While Cox was NOT "coach in waiting" at URI, he does have a clause in contract where he is paid a bonus if Hurley leaves and he is not promoted to head coach. Don't know the numbers, but it means he was promised serious consideration.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Adams is going to test the waters as he should. Go get some run with these guys and have the scouts tell him he won't get drafted and what to work on. He will be back.
I am thinking he is back without testing waters. He has 1 year left. What is there to think about. Here is a chance for the team to meld with a new coach and greatly improve. Better for him. Possibly taking the team to a conference championship? Who knows.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I could not care less who stays and who goes.
The problem with Ollie was Ollie, but part of that is the character/work ethic of kids he was bringing in. I'm not convinced Vance wasn't a problem, no matter who was coaching. Other than Kwintin, who was benched regularly after major effort games, who stood out as being that guy JC always looked for who would have your back in a fight and never back down? Maybe Vital? After that?

Was Ollie too palsy/walsy and "we all fam"? Did it lead to him be soft on the kids? Not have the authority to make them play harder? Bench a kid who needed benching? Were some softer kids drawn to that? You do your campus visit and the other players tell you, "Kev a great dude. He's not going to make you work to hard in practice." Sounds good? To some players.

I remember the first time I saw a video of Kemba - HS game. Guy was all over the place. Constant effort. Never backed down, never stopped. That's a JC kid. Probably a Hurley kid too, I hope. Would KO have appealed to Kemba? Maybe guys like Donny Marshall and Kemba and Caronimo were drawn to a domineering, overbearing, but deeply loving father figure.

Far as I'm concerned, Dan Hurley should tell each and every one of them individually that there's a new sheriff in town, and it's his way or G T F O. I'd rather play with 5 walk ons who will go Blls to the Wll and not win a game than watch another season of putrid effort, stilted offense, and uncaring defense.

A similar transition occurred when JC showed up. Cliffy went up to him and said, "hey Jim." JC said, "don't call me Jim. You can call me Coach or Mr. Calhoun, but not Jim." Cliffy said to himself, "things are goin to be different." One losing season and then 4 NCs later . . . .

The Coach is dead, long live the Coach.
Well written.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
maybe but it certainly needs to change. From what it sounded like, this group needs a coach, not a friend. There was wayyyy too much leeway last year.

Hurley needs to come in hot, like Coach Dale in Hoosiers. Either you do it the right way, or take a hike.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Powerful... chills... and bring out the puke buckets

God damn i'm ready for the season already...
DY_DHqwXcAEG3W5.jpg

"So position the puke buckets on each side of half court and then one in each of the corners. I know it seems like a lot buckets, but better one too many than one too few..."

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I am thinking he is back without testing waters. He has 1 year left. What is there to think about. Here is a chance for the team to meld with a new coach and greatly improve. Better for him. Possibly taking the team to a conference championship? Who knows.

It sounded like he wants the feedback. There's really no harm since nobody's going to tell him he's a 1st round pick.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
DY_DHqwXcAEG3W5.jpg

"So position the puke buckets on each side of half court and then one in each of the corners. I know it seems like a lot buckets, but better one too many than one too few..."
Nice work!
This photo should produce some legendary Calhoun-Hurley memes:
"You see... you tell them to get some facts... and then you tell them to... get this... come back and see you."

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

If he doesn't test the waters, it's serious negligence on somebody's part. This represents the one chance he has to get valuable feedback from and exposure to NBA scouts and GMs. He'll know what he needs to work on and do over the course of the next year.

I mean, a fool wouldn't declare at this point. Just shouldn't hire the agent.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It sounded like he wants the feedback. There's really no harm since nobody's going to tell him he's a 1st round pick.

Unless he lets some agents get in his ear lol

Reaction Score
The only reason to stay is if he’s to.d he has a real shot with improvement to a first round pick after his senior year. Otherwise he may see the improvement that DH and RP made in the D-League and realize he’s better off there. Or he may just want to leave a better legacy at his alma mater.

Reaction Score
The only reason to stay is if he’s to.d he has a real shot with improvement to a first round pick after his senior year. Otherwise he may see the improvement that DH and RP made in the D-League and realize he’s better off there. Or he may just want to leave a better legacy at his alma mater.
If DHam stayed another year and refined his game, he might have jumped up a round.

Adams is in line to get his degree which may be worth more in the long run that putting the D-League on your resume.

Reaction Score
Don't blame the players for being hesitant. It must be a huge upheaval for them. The guy who recruited them to UConn was fired unceremoniously. You read in the media about how you aren't developed enough, or talented enough, etc. A new guy comes in and everyone's excited but you don't know this dude and he didn't recruit you.

And these kids are like 18-22? I can't blame 'em for feeling a little out of sorts. I hope they stay, but it's not hard to have some empathy for them.

I understand the point, but if the players are hesitant, if they are in shock, if they miss the guy that brought them in, then they might be clueless. Losing is bad enough, but playing uninspired is unacceptable - especially at UConn. Everyone here wanted KO to be successful. But losing seasons, players fleeing, uninspired play, empty seats were all crystal clear signs that the KO show was coming to an end. His only hope was that the U would put $$ before pride. He was wrong. Frankly, the players could have taken steps to ensure he stayed longer.

In the end, this is UConn. This ain't UMass. We hang banners, not our heads.

Upheaval? It f^cking better be upheaval.

Reaction Score
Just finished that. Awesome. I will always be thankful for what KO accomplished, both as a coach and as a player. Will always be a favorite, but listening to that made me feel the program has been running on fumes the last two years. Listening to this man who has turned down Big 10 and ACC jobs talk about how this is a "destination job" that "transcends" whatever conference we are in really gave me optimism. When he talked about the current players having a much better year and this not being anywhere near the undertaking of his last two jobs for me pumped for next year. When he talked about our program being on par with any of the game's premier programs I could hear DMX's we're not going anywhere playing in my head.

Reaction Score
Here’s my Jalen take: He was a highly rated recruit who came here expecting to win games and leave after his sophomore year (this isn’t my opinion but what was shared by someone at Brewster). Instead, he’s been on a losing team and is consistently a talent level above all his teammates with no relief in sight. He’s had to watch his friend Donovan Mitchell, whom he out touched and out played at Brewster go to UL (where Jalen could have also gone) and jump early to the NBA and about to be ROY. He’s older than his teammates (like Larrier) and is likely growing impatient. I want him to stay and have a big year - which he almost surely will - but I don’t blame him for second guessing his time here and thinking it might be time to move on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahmed69

Top Bottom