All Players Attending Hurley Presser | Page 3 | The Boneyard

All Players Attending Hurley Presser

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I hope he returns, but I only want those returning who WANT/LOVE to be here. If he's over it, he should go (both for his benefit and the program).

I loved the presser and the attitude - He said all the right things
I think the fact that all the players were there speaks volume to their character and allows me to think that someone recruited solid kids.

BTW : Is this what you said about VJ, Enoch and JD? - I only want those returning who WANT/LOVE to be here

Just wondering

Reaction Score
If David Cox doesn't get the URI job and decides to come here then we will be able to sign any of the URI kids. They'll probably stay if Cox stays
Did some quick research and Cox has never held a head coaching job. I'm not sure, if I'm URI, that it's wise to elevate a guy to head coach at even a mid-major program that has never been a head coach before. Even in a HOF coach's "family tree", we've seen that is certainly no guarantee of success. I suppose they might roll the dice on that, but we'll see.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
-After dealing with the current roster players' decisions, Hurley needs to get on the phone with Kisunas, Akinjo, Jermaine Harris, Brendan Adams. Probably in that order. I don't know much about Emmitt Matthews, but I get the feeling that Akinjo and Kisunas are more important than Matthews. Getting Kisunas and Akinjo on board would be huge. We desperately need a big man with a high ceiling that Hurley can start with from scratch. And obviously, we need guards. Good ones.

If Cox is gonna be the HC at URI, Hurley won't touch those guys. Unless the kid is desperate to come.

Matthews is very important, as he's a good shooter. Which this team still lacks. They really, really need some shooting.

He's got good length, and should hopefully be able to play the 2, which is another thing they need. He might be like a JLamb-lite.

He's a priority I would think.

Reaction Score
Did some quick research and Cox has never held a head coaching job. I'm not sure, if I'm URI, that it's wise to elevate a guy to head coach at even a mid-major program that has never been a head coach before. Even in a HOF coach's "family tree", we've seen that is certainly no guarantee of success. I suppose they might roll the dice on that, but we'll see.
They're going to want to keep the recruits, but keeping a coach simply to save the recruits may not be the wisest long-term decision.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
If Cox is gonna be the HC at URI, Hurley won't touch those guys. Unless the kid is desperate to come.

Matthews is very important, as he's a good shooter. Which this team still lacks. They really, really need some shooting.

He's got good length, and should hopefully be able to play the 2, which is another thing they need. He might be like a JLamb-lite.

He's a priority I would think.
Thanks, I just didn't know much about EMJr. Here's to hoping URI finds a better option than Cox.
Essentially, we need quality at every position. Assuming maybe 3 players leave the program, Akinjo, Kisunas, Matthews and hopefully Harris would be golden.

Reaction Score
-It sounds like Cobb, Vital, Wilson and Gilbert are pretty much returning.
-If Jalen stays, then I'm not too concerned who leaves outside of those 5. I'm assuming some combination of Polley/Diarra/Carlton/Whaley/Kwintin will leave, and some will stay.
-After dealing with the current roster players' decisions, Hurley needs to get on the phone with Kisunas, Akinjo, Jermaine Harris, Brendan Adams. Probably in that order. I don't know much about Emmitt Matthews, but I get the feeling that Akinjo and Kisunas are more important than Matthews. Getting Kisunas and Akinjo on board would be huge. We desperately need a big man with a high ceiling that Hurley can start with from scratch. And obviously, we need guards. Good ones.
very slim chance Akinjo comes here. He only committed because of Ollie, not necessarily because of the program. We’re now on a level playing field with all other schools recruiting him, and him living on the other side of the country doesn’t help

Reaction Score
I loved the presser and the attitude - He said all the right things
I think the fact that all the players were there speaks volume to their character and allows me to think that someone recruited solid kids.

BTW : Is this what you said about VJ, Enoch and JD? - I only want those returning who WANT/LOVE to be here

Just wondering

Absolutely. I also think they would have WANTED/LOVED to be at UCONN with the right coach.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
very slim chance Akinjo comes here. He only committed because of Ollie, not necessarily because of the program. We’re now on a level playing field with all other schools recruiting him, and him living on the other side of the country doesn’t help
I'm not convinced of that. I think we have a decent shot if Hurley reaches out.

Reaction Score
Hurley will hold them accountable. I was impressed with him.
After the last few seasons, any UConn hoops player who does not appreciate the “... need to change the mentality and culture ... ", to “... buy in, be committed, and be successful ...", and to be held "accountable" may not deserve a scholarship nor the opportunity to develop as a person, UConn student, and Huskies' athlete. The Werth and Gampel doors open 2 ways ...

Reaction Score
Don't blame the players for being hesitant. It must be a huge upheaval for them. The guy who recruited them to UConn was fired unceremoniously. You read in the media about how you aren't developed enough, or talented enough, etc. A new guy comes in and everyone's excited but you don't know this dude and he didn't recruit you.

And these kids are like 18-22? I can't blame 'em for feeling a little out of sorts. I hope they stay, but it's not hard to have some empathy for them.

Reaction Score
When you're a mid-major, you're much more inclined to take that leap. Nobody has head coaching experience at any level, until they do.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Thanks, I just didn't know much about EMJr. Here's to hoping URI finds a better option than Cox.
Essentially, we need quality at every position. Assuming maybe 3 players leave the program, Akinjo, Kisunas, Matthews and hopefully Harris would be golden.

I hope they do too, cause then he's coming to UCONN!

Reaction Score
All the players are shell shocked. Ollie brought them in and now he is suddenly gone. Some see better opportunity (fresh slate) others see uncertainty. I guess its like losing your father and you sit down in front of your 'step father' as he talks about how he will be the head of the family now. Remember their 'father' seemingly appeared lenient allowing kids a lot of freedom on the court. Perhaps Hurley is more of a disciplinarian requiring accountability. That is a huge adjustment for a kid coming from Ollie's coaching style.

I won't read anything into their reactions; like Jalen said, they are all processing this enormous change in their lives. Its neither positive or negative, its one of life's curve-balls. Its a very delicate situation right now in Storrs and in many cases very personal.

Just saying the tree is shaking vigorously lets see how strong and attached the branches really are. We know the UConn trunk is solid along with the bedrock it sits on. This fan expects us to be stronger and better when the storm is over.

Reaction Score
Jalen will test the NBA waters, get feedback and return.

Vital, Wilson, and gilbert back too.

Now if we can get harris, and keep matthews, plus a few of of our other roster players.

I think thats a team that *could* make the tourney and win a game

Reaction Score

They do have a chance to leave a legacy.. The MEN who were there and stayed when times were tough and forged ahead.. The last guys who did that hung the 4th banner on the wall and will always be beloved. Adams is at his Shabazz moment he can stay and leave a legacy being the cornerstone of the first year of the resurgence or leave it all behind him. Bazz stayed and it worked out well for him. One more year with Hurley might push him over the edge to a successful pro carrer rather than middling in the D league.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom