Alisha Gray Verbals to UNC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Alisha Gray Verbals to UNC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The numbers say something has to happen. ACL injuries last year should have no bearing on the 2013-14 roster even if they redshirt this coming year.. If kids were already planning to leave, we should have heard something about it by now, you would think.

The kids verballing today have had their scholarship offers for a while, most likely. How could those scholarships be offered, if there were not kids leaving?

sure, something is going to happen. I doubt UNC will announce transfers in the middle of recruiting season. They have 16 months to get to 15 in 2013, they are ok for 2012

Reaction Score
Unbelievable. If I was on the UNC women's basketball team I would give Hatcher a big and transfer immediately. What disrespect. Also, Hatcher and UNC have been dead in the water for the past couple of years or so and suddenly they pull in a class like this. Oh well, these girls are going to learn the hard way when they get into the pros after Hatcher teaches them no defense or discipline.
What, Hatchell is going to Fairfield University?

JS

Reaction Score
And some us were complaining that 2013 recruits were slow to commit. Who knew that the entire class would go crazy on Cinci de Mayo!

Crazy . . . or something.

images

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I have to wonder if Duke, Maryland or any other ACC team had a roster including verbals exceeded 15 what you would be saying. As of right now, UNC has 19 players that are on the roster or have received verbals from. Sorry, what UNC is doing is wrong, and if another team was doing it, you would be saying it too.

sure, something is going to happen. I doubt UNC will announce transfers in the middle of recruiting season. They have 16 months to get to 15 in 2013, they are ok for 2012[/quote

Reaction Score
I have to wonder if Duke, Maryland or any other ACC team had a roster including verbals exceeded 15 what you would be saying. As of right now, UNC has 19 players that are on the roster or have received verbals from. Sorry, what UNC is doing is wrong, and if another team was doing it, you would be saying it too.

:rolleyes: I am not a UNC fan. There are not any 2013/2014 rosters anywhere.

I wanted DD to go to UConn, I am surprised this hasn't happened before. DD is a heck of a recruiter.

Reaction Score
A far more interesting question is what is the over/under on how long it will be before any of these kids who announced today win 1) ACC championship, 2) get to a Final Four 3) win the Big Prize?
We've seen evidence many times (repeated again this year) that great recruiting classes don't guarantee championships.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I'd be willing to make a wager that Geno and CD are REALLY hacked-off right now. This is the sort of **** (stuff) that goes on in the Kentucky men's program.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Slightly off-topic.... does anyone remember that post talking about the do's and don't of Twitter and Facebook, when it comes to recruits..? There was something from the UCONN compliance dept that was posted here on the BY. I can't seem to find it.

I don't use these services but wanted to refresh myself on how UCONN viewed the issue.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
IIRC, it had to do with BYer's interacting directly with recruits on Twitter / Facebook.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'd be willing to make a wager that Geno and CD are REALLY hacked-off right now. This is the sort of **** (stuff) that goes on in the Kentucky men's program.
If you have proof, let's hear it. If not, please don't engage in harmful speculation. Please see my post tacked to the top of the board.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Slightly off-topic.... does anyone remember that post talking about the do's and don't of Twitter and Facebook, when it comes to recruits..? There was something from the UCONN compliance dept that was posted here on the BY. I can't seem to find it.
This is the post:

These aren't my words, the following is directly from UConn Compliance. Please note that the term "booster" applies to anyone that has (among other things) purchased season's tickets, contributed to UConn, gone to UConn, or "promoted the interests of UConn athletics" which is a vague term that the NCAA can apply any way it likes. See the
Representative of Athletics Interests

definition (booster):

The NCAA rules that regulate contact with prospective student-athletes include not only face-to-face contacts, emails, phone calls, but also any and all contacts through social media websites. This includes, but is not limited to, websites such as Facebook, Twitter, and MySpace.
Boosters or other representatives of UCONN’s athletics interests are prohibited from contacting recruits through these and similar websites. Despite these new applications of the internet, NCAA rules regarding how these technologies can be used have not changed. For instance, many years ago NCAA rules made it impermissible for anyone other than a UCONN coach to write a letter to a prospect encouraging that individual to come to UCONN. As the internet developed the rule was applied the same way to email, so that only a UCONN coach could email a prospect in an attempt to recruit the individual to UCONN. Now, with new methods for broader communication over these social networking sites, it is necessary to remember that it is still permissible only for UCONN coaches to use these sites to recruit prospects to come to UCONN. Even then, there are significant limitations and regulations on how that communication can take place.
Fans may not initiate or accept “friend” requests of prospects on Facebook, but they can “follow” recruits on Twitter. Fans should NEVER post to a recruit’s “wall,” reply to a “tweet,” send them any type of direct message, or take any other action that would constitute contacting that recruit. This prohibition also includes creating fan pages for recruits to attend UCONN.
If anyone other than UCONN coaches contact recruits or encourage prospects to enroll at UCONN, the NCAA will deem that to be a violation and we will be subject to penalties and recruiting limitations, potentially even jeopardizing the eligibility of the prospect. This is true even if the prospect is unaware of such recruiting efforts. Further, those individuals who participate in impermissible recruiting could face penalties, including being banned from obtaining tickets to athletic events.
Please remember, that while new technology has revolutionized the college recruiting world, the basic rules regarding recruitment of student-athletes remains the same. All recruiting activities to the permissible athletics staff members. Know that our coaches are at the forefront of these efforts and are doing everything they legally can to recruit outstanding student-athletes to UCONN. If any Boneyard posters have any questions regarding what constitutes a social media website, what types of actions are prohibited, or any other technology and recruiting questions, please encourage them to contact the Office of Athletics Compliance BEFORE taking any actions.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Calipari's business model just moved to the women's side.

Reaction Score
Bret McCormick is tweeting that UNC may get a couple of more recruits. Will UNC get their own 6 pack.

It seems that those that write about College Recruiting are saying how great UNC's class is and it is. What they aren't writing about is how this class is going to force players to transfer and it should be wrong to over recruit where a school will have more then 15 players.
It just gets all those other girls ready for the real world. It's pretty ugly out there.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
This is the post:

These aren't my words, the following is directly from UConn Compliance. Please note that the term "booster" applies to anyone that has (among other things) purchased season's tickets, contributed to UConn, gone to UConn, or "promoted the interests of UConn athletics" which is a vague term that the NCAA can apply any way it likes. See the

definition (booster):

The NCAA rules that regulate contact with prospective student-athletes include not only face-to-face contacts, emails, phone calls, but also any and all contacts through social media websites. This includes, but is not limited to, websites such as Facebook, Twitter, and MySpace.

Thanks very much for digging that one up, I appreciate it -

Reaction Score
it was all a plan they had it planned out for day according to HG

Reaction Score
This is the post:

definition (booster):

Boosters or other representatives of UCONN’s athletics interests are prohibited from contacting recruits through these and similar websites. Despite these new applications of the internet, NCAA rules regarding how these technologies can be used have not changed. For instance, many years ago NCAA rules made it impermissible for anyone other than a UCONN coach to write a letter to a prospect encouraging that individual to come to UCONN. As the internet developed the rule was applied the same way to email, so that only a UCONN coach could email a prospect in an attempt to recruit the individual to UCONN. Now, with new methods for broader communication over these social networking sites, it is necessary to remember that it is still permissible only for UCONN coaches to use these sites to recruit prospects to come to UCONN. Even then, there are significant limitations and regulations on how that communication can take place.
Fans may not initiate or accept “friend” requests of prospects on Facebook, but they can “follow” recruits on Twitter. Fans should NEVER post to a recruit’s “wall,” reply to a “tweet,” send them any type of direct message, or take any other action that would constitute contacting that recruit. This prohibition also includes creating fan pages for recruits to attend UCONN.
If anyone other than UCONN coaches contact recruits or encourage prospects to enroll at UCONN, the NCAA will deem that to be a violation and we will be subject to penalties and recruiting limitations, potentially even jeopardizing the eligibility of the prospect. This is true even if the prospect is unaware of such recruiting efforts. Further, those individuals who participate in impermissible recruiting could face penalties, including being banned from obtaining tickets to athletic events.
Please remember, that while new technology has revolutionized the college recruiting world, the basic rules regarding recruitment of student-athletes remains the same. All recruiting activities to the permissible athletics staff members. Know that our coaches are at the forefront of these efforts and are doing everything they legally can to recruit outstanding student-athletes to UCONN. If any Boneyard posters have any questions regarding what constitutes a social media website, what types of actions are prohibited, or any other technology and recruiting questions, please encourage them to contact the Office of Athletics Compliance BEFORE taking any actions.
They can't be serious with this. What is the definition of a "Fan"? I can see the NCAA limiting University employee contact, but the school nor the NCAA has no control over anyone else's personal communications. If I'm a supporter of some other school and pretend I'm a Uconn fan and tweet a Uconn recruit, the NCAA can sanction Uconn? I think the statement is just a scare tactic trying to minimize spam to recruits. Again, someone on the payroll is a different story.

Reaction Score
It just gets all those other girls ready for the real world. It's pretty ugly out there.

Exactly right. Here we see the impact of the UConn wbb fan base being generally "of an age". The reality is that in contemporary American business culture, the only culture that matters, loyalty is strictly a one-way street. It is stringently demanded bottom-up. It simply does not exist top-down, and anyone who suggests it should can be certain they'll never rise far enough to be in a position to implement their opinion. That it has taken so long to make its way into collegiate non-revenue sports speaks to the insulating quality being "non-revenue" provides.

Reaction Score
Exactly right. Here we see the impact of the UConn wbb fan base being generally "of an age". The reality is that in contemporary American business culture, the only culture that matters, loyalty is strictly a one-way street. It is stringently demanded bottom-up. It simply does not exist top-down, and anyone who suggests it should can be certain they'll never rise far enough to be in a position to implement their opinion. That it has taken so long to make its way into collegiate non-revenue sports speaks to the insulating quality being "non-revenue" provides.
So, does this portend a huge expansion in revenue for women's BB? Teams all over starting to make money. Is Matthew Mitchell's new salary another indicator? Will we see more YUM centers?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I love it, JS. Anything that makes fans crazy is ok with me.

From my perspective, I really don't care who goes where. I trust Geno and he will have a great team no matter who he ends up with. Well, that and as long as no one commits to Tennessee....lol.

Good luck to all the young ladies wherever they go.
POST OF THE WEEKEND... thanks DD

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

I don't use these services but wanted to refresh myself on how UCONN viewed the issue.
guess you was reading the Summitt where the poster mentioned they were "following" a recruit on Twitter (and/or Facebook) and just requested 1 or 2 others? (something like that)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
A far more interesting question is what is the over/under on how long it will be before any of these kids who announced today win 1) ACC championship, 2) get to a Final Four 3) win the Big Prize?
We've seen evidence many times (repeated again this year) that great recruiting classes don't guarantee championships.

It did for Baylor.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
It did for Baylor.

Mulkey is a much better coach than Hatchell. And she had two solid recruiting classes, plus Griner. There's no way that DD is a game-changing player in the way Griner is.

And even with Griner, it took Baylor three seasons to win it all. Baylor also enjoys much more fan support than UNC.

Obvioulsy this class UNC just landed is super talented. But none of them have actually signed, and as discussed in many other places, this is going to definitely affect team chemistry there. Are those freshman going to come in in 2013 and automatically get playing time? How will the upperclassman feel about that? With so many players on the roster, how will they follow up this class with other great classes?

Will be super interesting to watch and see how this plays out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom