Alisha Gray Verbals to UNC | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Alisha Gray Verbals to UNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I guess I'm really not sure why this seems to be so upsetting to so many. It just really seems like a group of girls all saying that they like a program and that they all want to play with each other and bring the program back to prominence. What is wrong the the players being in control as a group? As someone pointed out, this may be the wave of the future where these players say "let's all go here and try to win a championship together." Or this may be a one-off that we may not see again.

It seems to me that maybe what is disturbing to some is the thought of another class possibly being more impressive than the class that their university has garnered. I can only imagine that the Tennessee fans are devastated that UNC got the kind of haul that they were hoping for. Although, who is to say that another group of 2013 recruits will not band together and flock to Tennessee.

I hate that Baylor did not get any of these players and I think this nearly locks in Russell as a Tar Heel and puts Baylor out of contention. But it will be fun to watch UNC and UCONN battle it out for three or four years. UNC has probably put itself in position to be the only team that can challenge UCONN.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
This is the post:

These aren't my words, the following is directly from UConn Compliance. Please note that the term "booster" applies to anyone that has (among other things) purchased season's tickets, contributed to UConn, gone to UConn, or "promoted the interests of UConn athletics" which is a vague term that the NCAA can apply any way it likes. See the
Representative of Athletics Interests

definition (booster):

The NCAA rules that regulate contact with prospective student-athletes include not only face-to-face contacts, emails, phone calls, but also any and all contacts through social media websites. This includes, but is not limited to, websites such as Facebook, Twitter, and MySpace.
Boosters or other representatives of UCONN’s athletics interests are prohibited from contacting recruits through these and similar websites. Despite these new applications of the internet, NCAA rules regarding how these technologies can be used have not changed. For instance, many years ago NCAA rules made it impermissible for anyone other than a UCONN coach to write a letter to a prospect encouraging that individual to come to UCONN. As the internet developed the rule was applied the same way to email, so that only a UCONN coach could email a prospect in an attempt to recruit the individual to UCONN. Now, with new methods for broader communication over these social networking sites, it is necessary to remember that it is still permissible only for UCONN coaches to use these sites to recruit prospects to come to UCONN. Even then, there are significant limitations and regulations on how that communication can take place.
Fans may not initiate or accept “friend” requests of prospects on Facebook, but they can “follow” recruits on Twitter. Fans should NEVER post to a recruit’s “wall,” reply to a “tweet,” send them any type of direct message, or take any other action that would constitute contacting that recruit. This prohibition also includes creating fan pages for recruits to attend UCONN.
If anyone other than UCONN coaches contact recruits or encourage prospects to enroll at UCONN, the NCAA will deem that to be a violation and we will be subject to penalties and recruiting limitations, potentially even jeopardizing the eligibility of the prospect. This is true even if the prospect is unaware of such recruiting efforts. Further, those individuals who participate in impermissible recruiting could face penalties, including being banned from obtaining tickets to athletic events.
Please remember, that while new technology has revolutionized the college recruiting world, the basic rules regarding recruitment of student-athletes remains the same. All recruiting activities to the permissible athletics staff members. Know that our coaches are at the forefront of these efforts and are doing everything they legally can to recruit outstanding student-athletes to UCONN. If any Boneyard posters have any questions regarding what constitutes a social media website, what types of actions are prohibited, or any other technology and recruiting questions, please encourage them to contact the Office of Athletics Compliance BEFORE taking any actions.
Nan; A suggestion; While the NCAA does have some very silly and ambiguous rules, they ARE rules, and every now and again they decide to enforce one of them. I think that your post should be pinned. While I do not do social networking myself, a lot of Husky fans do, and it seems be very easy to get carried away.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I hate that Baylor did not get any of these players and I think this nearly locks in Russell as a Tar Heel and puts Baylor out of contention. But it will be fun to watch UNC and UCONN battle it out for three or four years. UNC has probably put itself in position to be the only team that can challenge UCONN.

Lets see if UNC can challenge Duke and Maryland for tops in the ACC first.....:cool:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Lets see if UNC can challenge Duke and Maryland for tops in the ACC first.....:cool:

If they don't it sure won't be because they don't have more talent. If UNC lands Russell Duke and MD will be fighting it out for second place.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
This is all getting very curious.....

I haven't the foggiest idea what it all means, but it's interesting that of the Hoopgurlz top 60 for 2013, there have been 20 commitments. Of those just over half are for the ACC (UNC 6, Duke 1, Virginia 1, Maryland 2, Florida State 1). With UNC leading the way, the runner-up so far is Notre Dame with 3 commits. The others are from Louisville (1), Vanderbilt (1), Princeton (1), Northwestern (2), and Iowa State (1).

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
If they don't it sure won't be because they don't have more talent. If UNC lands Russell Duke and MD will be fighting it out for second place.

Meh.... we will see...

But....... I am rooting for Russell to sign with Tennessee or Louisville... or anyone but UNC. :p

Reaction Score
I guess I'm really not sure why this seems to be so upsetting to so many. It just really seems like a group of girls all saying that they like a program and that they all want to play with each other and bring the program back to prominence. What is wrong the the players being in control as a group? As someone pointed out, this may be the wave of the future where these players say "let's all go here and try to win a championship together." Or this may be a one-off that we may not see again.

It seems to me that maybe what is disturbing to some is the thought of another class possibly being more impressive than the class that their university has garnered. I can only imagine that the Tennessee fans are devastated that UNC got the kind of haul that they were hoping for. Although, who is to say that another group of 2013 recruits will not band together and flock to Tennessee.

I think what concerns many is just that - the recruits have taken control as a group, perhaps to the detriment of the team as a whole.

Aren't coaches supposed to be in control of how they shape their teams? Receiving a commitment from one recruit often times changes the focus of the coaching staff to other players to compliment the remaining team makeup and may, in fact, lead to less interest in other players they were recruiting. It happens all the time. However, this tact has now put UNC coaches, the existing players and 2012 recruits in the unenviable and, perhaps, very uncomfortable position. I don't see how that can ever be a good thing.

I couldn't give a rats patootie that none of these players committed to UConn. In fact, the way this went down - and the fact that they are purportedly continuing to try to add to the class on a team which is already over the scholarship limit, makes me think these players would not be a good fit for UConn's more tightly structured environment. While these are only verbals and until they sign a LOI nothing is final, I think the door has been firmly slammed shut on any possibility that, should they change their mind, there will be a place at UConn for them.

Yes, TASSK did something similar - but the situation was different in a couple of key aspects. It was not a coordinated and timed commitment to all happen on the same day. But most importantly, there were enough available scholarships without putting the scholarships of other players in jeopardy.

Returning players the year TASSK came in as Freshmen:

Tihanna Abrlic - Senior transfer (Scholarship)
Sveta - Sophomore (Scholarship)
Marci Czel - Sophomore (walk-on)
Amy Duran - Senior (Scholarship)
Courtney Gaine - Senior (Scholarship)
Marci Glenney - Sophomore (Scholarship)
Stacy Hansmeyer - Junior (Scholarship)
Shea Ralph - RS Sophomore (Scholarship)
Paige Sauer - Junior (Scholarship)
Kelly Schumacher - Sophomore (Scholarship)

9 scholarships, one walk-on - which left room for up to 6 scholarship recruits.

For me, the thing that bothers me the most about what happened at UNC is that these recruits gave no consideration to the returning UNC players and 2012 incoming recruits. Unfortunately, that is the mentality of much of today's youth. I see it happening with my own son, and I am not at all pleased by it.

Reaction Score
I think what concerns many is just that - the recruits have taken control as a group, perhaps to the detriment of the team as a whole.
For me, the thing that bothers me the most about what happened at UNC is that these recruits gave no consideration to the returning UNC players and 2012 incoming recruits.

(1) How do you know the recruits have "taken control." ? They were offered; they accepted.
(2) In order for a recruit to commit, she has to have an offer. Why is it the kid's fault if the coach made more offers than the team had available? Is it the recruit's responsibility to be up on the status of all the existing players, whom she doesn't know?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I had go to google to see what TASSK meant :D Now I know.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Once again, I see nothing wrong with what this group of girls has done. If they were offered scholarships then the onus is on the UNC staff to make it work out. Are players now supposed to pass up their school of choice that has made an offer to them because they don't know how the university is going to arrange the scholarship question? Are they really supposed to say "but what about Jane Doe, what are you going to do with her?" They probably have no knowledge of a player's happiness or intentions to remain in a program. Would anyone have suspected that UCONN would lose EDD, Walker and Johnson? I imagine that there were players who may not have chosen UCONN assuming that EDD would be there and then later regretted that decision when players left the program.

And do you really think that players have not leaned on or tried to persuade their peers to go to the same college in the past? I'm sure that it has always happened. This time there are just more involved and is just more public. It is nothing that hasn't happened before or that won't happen again.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
They can't be serious with this. What is the definition of a "Fan"? I can see the NCAA limiting University employee contact, but the school nor the NCAA has no control over anyone else's personal communications. If I'm a supporter of some other school and pretend I'm a Uconn fan and tweet a Uconn recruit, the NCAA can sanction Uconn? I think the statement is just a scare tactic trying to minimize spam to recruits. Again, someone on the payroll is a different story.
I said that the first time this was posted. It gives individuals great potential to screw with other programs.

Reaction Score
(1) How do you know the recruits have "taken control." ? They were offered; they accepted.
(2) In order for a recruit to commit, she has to have an offer. Why is it the kid's fault if the coach made more offers than the team had available? Is it the recruit's responsibility to be up on the status of all the existing players, whom she doesn't know?

I was responding to the statement by ETT, I didn't make the original statement - though in my view it seems like a calculated move to control who commits to UNC by the recruits themselves. Yes, you are absolutely correct. They were offered and had a right to accept based on the offer. And, it is not their fault that there were more offers extended than were available. But, I have to disagree with you it isn't their responsibility to know the makeup of the teams they are considering. Schools arrange for a recruit to meet and spend time with current and returning players during official visits. I would be very surprised if any highly ranked player doesn't know exactly the make up of the team they are committing to, their chances of playing right away, who currently plays their position, etc. Recruiting is a two way street - schools evaluate the recruits but recruits also need to evaluate the program.

If they did not take the responsibility to evaluate this, or decided as a group to accept without knowing the make up of the team they were coming onto, there should be no hard feelings if a coach comes back and says "I am sorry. We did not expect every recruit to whom we extended an offer to accepted. Unfortunately, with the number of players returning, we will not have enough scholarships to extend one to you."

Either way, some scholarship players or verballed recruits are going to need to either transfer, choose another school, or be told to do so. That is the sad and unfortunate part of this whole situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom