2022 Recruiting: - Alex Karaban Unoffical Visit (Again) | Page 9 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: Alex Karaban Unoffical Visit (Again)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I love Niels but If we get Karaban and he’s 100% of Giffey, I will be disappointed.

Giffey was a great role player. karaban appears to have the chops to potentially be a main cog or even a star.
Giffey was awesome as a senior. 48% from 3 is simply outstanding. He still only averaged 8.4 points, but that’s understandable on a team with Napier, Boatright, and Daniels. I think people forget that season was a huge improvement for him, though. His scoring averages were 2.2, 2.6, and 4.9 in his first three years. If Karaban averages 4.6 points and 2.5 rebounds per game for us career, I’d be disappointed. Of course, if he shoots 48% from 3 and helps win us a title, I’ll be thrilled.

Reaction Score
If this guy would even give 75% of what Niels Giffey was for us, that would be a massive win. Probably a little more polished coming into college than Niels was though.
????? 0k enough of the Giffey stuff, he was a great ROLE player who came up huge in the NCAA TOURNAMENT but Karaban was/is a much better player w a much higher ceiling

Reaction Score
Giffey was awesome as a senior. 48% from 3 is simply outstanding. He still only averaged 8.4 points, but that’s understandable on a team with Napier, Boatright, and Daniels. I think people forget that season was a huge improvement for him, though. His scoring averages were 2.2, 2.6, and 4.9 in his first three years. If Karaban averages 4.6 points and 2.5 rebounds per game for us career, I’d be disappointed. Of course, if he shoots 48% from 3 and helps win us a title, I’ll be thrilled.
Enough of the overrated love, super clutch player BUT a little way overboard for a guy who never averaged double digits.
Little too much of the LOOKED UNBELIEVABLE last time I saw him play syndrome, held off as long as I could about this

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Which part, Giffey being a role player or Karaban not being brought in ( assuming we get him) to be a role player?
When you said he'll be a star, I dont get that impression from watching everything available.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
????? 0k enough of the Giffey stuff, he was a great ROLE player who came up huge in the NCAA TOURNAMENT but Karaban was/is a much better player w a much higher ceiling
Not too mention automatic from three for much of the season.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
When you said he'll be a star, I dont get that impression from watching everything available.
I don’t know if he’ll be a star or not, but when you hear about him dominating Pangos games it sounds like he may have a shot.

ive never seen him play other than clips so I’m judging based on what I read.

My main point was no way would he be brought in to be Giffey, let alone 75% of Giffey, which is what the initial response was to.

Reaction Score
He talks about making lifelong connections. With all that, I hope on his visit they showed him @Ricker love an admiration. Def. the first on that train
Kudos to you sir

Reaction Score
I held off as long as I could, actually it didn't even phase me at the beginning.
I never wanted to turn this into a bashing but he averaged 8pts a game! So he obviously was very very very selective when he shot and hit an average at best of 2 3's a game, did he hit some huge ones yes but the ceiling for a new player to have a bigger impact is not insurmountable!
My guess is Karaban will easily be a much better overall college player

Reaction Score
I don’t know if he’ll be a star or not, but when you hear about him dominating Pangos games it sounds like he may have a shot.

ive never seen him play other than clips so I’m judging based on what I read.

My main point was no way would he be brought in to be Giffey, let alone 75% of Giffey, which is what the initial response was to.
Niels won 2 national championships at UConn and played a combined 61 minutes in those two title games. I agree his stats look unimpressive but he was a really good intangibles player who was in and out of the lineup on a stacked team his freshmen year and his sophomore year he was kind of buried on one of the most talented teams in UConn history despite it being kind of a mess of a year...

He always did what was asked of him his whole career and for his senior year he became one of the top knock down three point shooters in the country and was a jacknife on defense who often got the job of trying to stop the best player on the other team, he shut down Julius Randle in the title game. The stats don't tell the story with him as a player, he was a winner here and has continued being a winner for Alba Berlin.

I remember when Calhoun signed him, he beat out UCLA, Louisville, and the Zags and the top recruiting guy who evaluated him said he would have him ranked right around the top 50 if he was playing in the US.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I held off as long as I could, actually it didn't even phase me at the beginning.
I never wanted to turn this into a bashing but he averaged 8pts a game! So he obviously was very very very selective when he shot and hit an average at best of 2 3's a game, did he hit some huge ones yes but the ceiling for a new player to have a bigger impact is not insurmountable!
He’s attempted 13 3-pointers and knocked down 11 of them — good for a mind-blowing 84.5- percent clip. And the 6-foot-7 swingman is doing all the little things, too — rebounding, playing strong defense and emerging as a leader on this deep, talented, experienced group of Huskies.

Reaction Score
Wait a minute, you said enough Giffey... who you now talking about? Heed your own advice.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
What are you basing this on?

Just a guess, but Niels barely played until junior year and was a bench player then. He came on as a senior and was a completely improved player and major contributor and still not close to our best player. I think the expectation for Karaban would justifiably be much higher.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
People on this board are wild, man.

No one is bashing Giffey, but I don't get why it's hard to understand that Karaban, a top 60 recruit, has higher standards built in for his career than Giffey, an absolutely beloved and vital (but) ROLE player.

Dude was critical for our team and I loved his game since his frosh year, always felt he was underrated, but he was never supposed to be a big time player. Karaban has that potential.

The fact that he's a white wing player who shoots 3s is the reason for this comparison and subsequent peeing match?

Reaction Score
Just a guess, but Niels barely played until junior year and was a bench player then. He came on as a senior and was a completely improved player and major contributor and still not close to our best player. I think the expectation for Karaban would justifiably be much higher.
We don't win the NT without Giffey. He was huge. His defense was stellar too.

Reaction Score
People on this board are wild, man.

No one is bashing Giffey, but I don't get why it's hard to understand that Karaban, a top 60 recruit, has higher standards built in for his career than Giffey, an absolutely beloved and vital (but) ROLE player.

Dude was critical for our team and I loved his game since his frosh year, always felt he was underrated, but he was never supposed to be a big time player. Karaban has that potential.

The fact that he's a white wing player who shoots 3s is the reason for this comparison and subsequent peeing match?
We all know that’s exactly the reason. You are the only one to call it for what it is, for which I commend you.

Reaction Score
Niels as a senior seemed to always hit the dagger shot or hit a 3 to get us back into the game. One of my favorite players of all time. IMO he was the 2nd most important player on that 2014 team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1625717818268.gif

Reaction Score

If you're calling 2014 Giffey a "role player" then yes, you are bashing Giffey. That's shameful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom