2022 Recruiting: - Alex Karaban Unoffical Visit (Again) | Page 8 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: Alex Karaban Unoffical Visit (Again)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
IMO, what you’re describing is related more to timeframe (complete recruiting year 2 to year 4, for example) than a change in recruiting philosophy/learning a lesson. His “rebuilds” (I hesitate to use that term for UConn because the situation is a little different) always take a step too long for some people, but they work. Get the (sometimes underrated) athletic “dogs” that will fly around and attack and establish a style, fill in with skill as recruiting gets easier as the program improves.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
IMO, what you’re describing is related more to timeframe (complete recruiting year 2 to year 4, for example) than a change in recruiting philosophy/learning a lesson. His “rebuilds” (I hesitate to use that term for UConn because the situation is a little different) always take a step too long for some people, but they work. Get the (sometimes underrated) athletic “dogs” that will fly around and attack and establish a style, fill in with skill as recruiting gets easier as the program improves.

Pretty hard to complain about the process at this point. I've got some qualms with the offense and in-game adjustments still, but it looks like that was moving in the right direction the second half of the season. And obviously, our team management, defense, and recruiting have been fantastic.

Reaction Score
Pretty hard to complain about the process at this point. I've got some qualms with the offense and in-game adjustments still, but it looks like that was moving in the right direction the second half of the season. And obviously, our team management, defense, and recruiting have been fantastic.
I think this year is the first time we will truly see "Hurleyball". We finally seem to have all of the pieces that we need. We have shooters, great athletes, and size, AND a full healthy offseason.

And from looking at the guys coming in next year, it's pretty clear his plan is to have a team that can play fast/slow/big/small at different times to just cause chaos for defenses

Reaction Score
The combination of better two way athletes along with an improving overall team BB IQ that DH/staff are identifying in their recruits will be huge. Great to hear recruits/signees talking about putting up more banners.

Should be a wild ride.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think this year is the first time we will truly see "Hurleyball". We finally seem to have all of the pieces that we need. We have shooters, great athletes, and size, AND a full healthy offseason.

And from looking at the guys coming in next year, it's pretty clear his plan is to have a team that can play fast/slow/big/small at different times to just cause chaos for defenses

We hope to have shooters. Having enough actual players who have demonstrated they can shoot efficiently is still TBD.

Reaction Score
We hope to have shooters. Having enough actual players who have demonstrated they can shoot efficiently is still TBD.
Cole/Polley/Hawkins/Gaffney is a good start. Akok/Samson/Jackson/Martin are wildcards. Diggins seems more like a pass first guy rather than a shooter but maybe he will surprise people.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Cole/Polley/Hawkins/Gaffney is a good start. Akok/Samson/Jackson/Martin are wildcards. Diggins seems more like a pass first guy rather than a shooter but maybe he will surprise people.

You have listed two players, Cole and Polley, who each averaged about 1.75 3-pointers per game and the highest of any of the shooters, Cole, is at .386. Gaff has shown flashes and Hawkins has never made a 3 in a college game. That's not exactly stacked; barely average for returners in today's college game. Calling Jackson a wild card? Can't disagree with that, but that's some crazy wild stuff if you are expecting him to be decent from 3. Martin is statistically below average. Samson? You're really expecting him to be a 3 point threat? I can't disprove it but, okay. Akok? Maybe. He shows flashes and at least shoots it confidently.

You're declaring the team has enough proven shooters going in to the season. I'm nowhere near ready to jump on that train.

Potentially enough? Yes. Proven? No way.

Reaction Score
Sledge or one of four trophies to hold. I wonder if Hurley is asking them which year they want to hold.
I like this, the thought that Hurley says to these visitors “who do you want to wear? Rip Hamilton, Emeka, Kemba, or Shabazz?”

Reaction Score

Old video but didn't see it posted anywhere. Playing at NCAA Academy UConn held in 2019....cool to see him playing at Greer/Gampel /Werth

I know I'm a homer, but after watching the full array of ways AK scored in that video from two years ago, including the body control, and ball handling on drives, someone needs to prove there are 87 better, more complete, players than him.

Reaction Score
You have listed two players, Cole and Polley, who each averaged about 1.75 3-pointers per game and the highest of any of the shooters, Cole, is at .386. Gaff has shown flashes and Hawkins has never made a 3 in a college game. That's not exactly stacked; barely average for returners in today's college game. Calling Jackson a wild card? Can't disagree with that, but that's some crazy wild stuff if you are expecting him to be decent from 3. Martin is statistically below average. Samson? You're really expecting him to be a 3 point threat? I can't disprove it but, okay. Akok? Maybe. He shows flashes and at least shoots it confidently.

You're declaring the team has enough proven shooters going in to the season. I'm nowhere near ready to jump on that train.

I am expecting Andre to improve. How much remains to be seen. I know it was a small sample, but I like his stroke at the free throw line. He hit 90 percent last year. As long as he is putting in the time, which he is doing, and taking hundreds of shots per day, he has a good chance to improve. If he can nail a few threes and hit off the dribble, his game will be sick.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I am expecting Andre to improve. How much remains to be seen. I know it was a small sample, but I like his stroke at the free throw line. He hit 90 percent last year. As long as he is putting in the time, which he is doing, and taking hundreds of shots per day, he has a good chance to improve. If he can nail a few threes and hit off the dribble, his game will be sick.

I'm with you on the hoping/expecting. I'm just not buying in to UConn as a team has a known amount of good shooters across the board in the context of today's college game.

Different expectations for different players. I'd like to see Polley, Cole and Gaff all above or very close to .400.

Jackson? If he can hit 30% of his 3's it can really open up the game for him.

Reaction Score
I know I'm a homer, but after watching the full array of ways AK scored in that video from two years ago, including the body control, and ball handling on drives, someone needs to prove there are 87 better, more complete, players than him.
My guess, and this is purely speculation on my part, is that the recruiting analysts take athleticism and the pro potential because of athleticism too much into account when they are ranking players. The rankings are only partly based on impact in college, although usually they are one in the same (i.e. big impact in college equates to potential pro). College basketball is littered with very good fundamental players who make a big impact in college but aren't athletic freaks who go to the NBA. I think that's what Karaban will be. You need some guys on a roster who are like that.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

I do not disagree that certain things remain unproven.

I also regard the abrupt ending of the 19-20 season, and the extended pandemic/injury profile for 20-21 as context for another season during which I'll be inclined to exercise patience that a degree I don't expect some others to share.

I very much like the direction that things have been moving, and given both unexpected & unexpectable factors that have emerged in DH's first 3 seasons, I believe that many more adjustments than not have been at a healthily responsive pace.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score

Old video but didn't see it posted anywhere. Playing at NCAA Academy UConn held in 2019....cool to see him playing at Greer/Gampel /Werth

This is the first I've seen him.

First thing I notice is his ability to score around the hoop. Uses both hands well, can go over his left or right shoulder, and looks to have fluid footwork and a soft touch. Very impressive.

Looks to be competent putting it on the floor...for straight line drives anyway. Not a regular ballhandler otherwise. Lack of lateral quickness may limit his ceiling as a ballhandler. Still, he drives under control and knows how to finish at the cup. I wonder if this skill translates to the next level.

He has great shooting form from deep. Sets his feet, economy of motion, uses the wrist, beautiful. I've heard he has a reputation as a good shooter, and looking at him shoot here makes that easy to believe.

I wonder how his defense is. That's one thing you never see with these mixtapes.

He looks like a stretch 4 to me and a matchup nightmare in waiting.

He'd fit so well with who we already have on board, too. Seems like a win-win, Alex!

Reaction Score

Im probably more optimistic than most on here. I think the full offseason and the sting of that Maryland L is going to lead to some surprising results

Reaction Score
If this guy would even give 75% of what Niels Giffey was for us, that would be a massive win. Probably a little more polished coming into college than Niels was though.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
If this guy would even give 75% of what Niels Giffey was for us, that would be a massive win. Probably a little more polished coming into college than Niels was though.
I love Niels but If we get Karaban and he’s 100% of Giffey, I will be disappointed.

Giffey was a great role player. karaban appears to have the chops to potentially be a main cog or even a star.

Reaction Score
I've never met DH but, from Day One, have heard him speak with passion about UConn's history, style of play and the championships, whether Big East or NCAA.

Those feelings, plus the programs and speakers he's brought in to develop the players as young men come through loud and clear to the team and to the recruits who surely pick up on all the nuances about coach/team relationships on their visits.

So many people have been BS'ing them all their lives that it must be really impressive to interact with a coach who values them as people and not just as an athlete.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So many people have been BS'ing them all their lives that it must be really impressive to interact with a coach who values them as people and not just as an athlete.
And Hurley believes what he's preaching to them. That's just my sense off of what I've heard him say publicly.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Friend of mine has a kid on NHM and has seen Karaban often and loves him.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I love Niels but If we get Karaban and he’s 100% of Giffey, I will be disappointed.

Giffey was a great role player. karaban appears to have the chops to potentially be a main cog or even a star.
What are you basing this on?

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
If Karaban commits here, we should make that date an official “Ricker Appreciation Day.” It’s been so cool watching this recruitment progress since @Ricker gave us his excellent analysis so long ago (where he was very high on Karaban!)…I just want this one to come through for my man Ricker (and because I love this kid’s game). Bring it home, Coach!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom