OT: - Alabama’s Darius Miles Charged With Murder | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Alabama’s Darius Miles Charged With Murder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
They would probably need some texts/witness testimony to know intent. The articles I've read about what happened are poorly written but it sure sounds like Miller knew what the gun was going to be used for.

My thought is that…it’s a gun.

If the guy asked to be brought a pair of needle nosed pliers and somehow committed a crime with the pliers, sure, who knew? But he asked for a gun.

Intent would implied.

I don’t want to indict an entire state, but I am thinking that bringing a gun to a murder scene is a crime unless you’re an NBA lottery pick playing for the state U.

Reaction Score
My first question is what did Miller tell the police as to what he thought the loaded gun was going to be used for.

Reaction Score
Alabama doesn’t have an aiding and abetting law? They’d be the only state in the country not to, if that was the case.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Woah.... this SHOULD affect Miller's draft stock, but who knows if it actually will (since he's so darn good). I will be the first to say: I had previously wished we hired Oats over Hurley - after reading this, I no longer feel that way. If our coach failed to discipline a de facto accessory to murder the whole state would be calling for his head

You think the NBA cares about players and hand guns????????

Reaction Score
You think the NBA cares about players and hand guns????????

They don't as seen through the recent Ja Morant story. Ja somehow not being suspended for the season is insane to me.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Also, first in with a comment about those on the BY who over the past few weeks were saying they wanted Oats instead of Hurley as coach. Those comments are as fresh as two weeks ago. Prolly won't see those comments for another few weeks.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I knew they had shooters but wow
cringe GIF

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

If the guy asked to be brought a pair of needle nosed pliers and somehow committed a crime with the pliers, sure, who knew? But he asked for a gun.

Intent would implied.

I don’t want to indict an entire state, but I am thinking that bringing a gun to a murder scene is a crime unless you’re an NBA lottery pick playing for the state U.
Alabama doesn’t have an aiding and abetting law? They’d be the only state in the country not to, if that was the case.

That's the weird part. If the gun is legally owned and there's no law against transporting the legal gun, you're somewhat limited in what you can do.

But then you go back to.....it's a gun. And being that at some point it was referenced to being in a hat with a bullet in the chamber, there's some intent to use it. And it's not going to be used at an indoor range for practice.

CL82

Reaction Score
That's the troubling thing. Oats DOES have a right to do something about that. I'm sure there is a code of conduct at Bama sports (but I would imagine pretty damn loose compared to the rest of civilized world) but you would think bringing a gun to a murder scene would trigger a "not meeting team standards" type of discipline at absolute rock bottom minimum.

But then again, we suspended 2 players for different sentences for the same laptop crime because we needed one to be our PG that year. So, yeah, College athletics. Same as it ever was.
Come on August you know that’s not true. One cooperated one did not the one that didn’t cooperate got a more severe sanction. The sanctions were not issued by the coach, or the athletic department. Your post is bull crap and you know it.

Reaction Score
Few weeks ago Oats got a contract extension & people were on here saying he was their number one choice when we got Hurley. Using him as an example on how to build a program quick.

What glitters isn’t always gold I guess.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
The stated reason I have read is that there needs to be clear intent or knowledge that it would lead to a crime for him to be charge. Unless there is something explicitly showing Miles telling Miller about WHY he needs the gun, he can claim/feign innocence in this case.
Law is the same in Alabama as it is in New Hampshire, in case people are thinking it is just a south thing. We are not insulated from silly gun laws in New England...

New Hampshire is the South of the North

game of thrones khaleesi GIF

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Come on August you know that’s not true. One cooperated one did not the one that didn’t cooperate got a more severe sanction. The sanctions were not issued by the coach, or the athletic department. Your post is bull crap and you know it.
Its not. You can tell yourself that because you are a UConn fan, and I get it, I am too, but let's be real here. It's OK to recognize hypocrisy. No one died.

Personally I think they both should've gone to jail just for the sheer stupidity of taking them to a pawn shop in Willimantic. That is worthy of an appearance on "worlds dumbest criminals"

Reaction Score

Intent would implied.

There's not automatically intent for murder if you give a friend a gun.

People trade guns all the time but this certainly didn't sound like someone giving a gun to have in the apartment/house/car for every day protection, to go to the range with, just to have. We don't even know from the wording if this was Miles or Miller's gun.

Delivering your own gun or delivering the gun to the owner at 1:30 in the morning on the strip outside of the club sounds to me like they both knew something was going to go down. Difficult to prove though without texts/recording/witnesses.

CL82

Reaction Score
Its not. You can tell yourself that because you are a UConn fan, and I get it, I am too, but let's be real here. It's OK to recognize hypocrisy. No one died.

Personally I think they both should've gone to jail just for the sheer stupidity of taking them to a pawn shop in Willimantic. That is worthy of an appearance on "worlds dumbest criminals"

No, I can tell myself that because I remembered what happened and I’m guessing that you do as well. Are you saying the school administration colluded with the athletic department to provide a lighter sentence? That’s not accurate.

Likewise, they didn’t go to jail because they were first time offenders who availed themselves of a program that’s available to every first time offender.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Why isn’t this a bigger story? This seems really bad from any and all angles.

The number one sports reporting outfit on planet earth currently does not even have the story on its front page.

Related note: that outfit is a business partner of Alabama and the SEC,

I have connected the dots for you, dear reader.

Reaction Score
Hopefully when Brandon Miller is suspended and Bama flounders to end the season, the Committee keeps in mind we pummeled them WITH Miller. Just sayin

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
For any amateur lawyers out there, this appears to be a legit Alabama government website. Page 17 of the pdf lists exceptions to transporting a pistol.

View attachment 84299
That's pretty close to what the rules are in Mass and CT. You can certainly transport a handgun, but unless you are a LTC permit holder you can't carry it on your person (which is the section you circled). Look at the one above it. This is why people have trigger locks. But I haven't heard that he carried it on his person in the car, just transported it. As for handing it over, I posted the federal rules on that via the ATF. Handguns are regulated by the feds, not just the states. Even then you can lend them to people under some circumstances.

If the government has texts or emails or other evidence that he knew the purpose, then he should be charged. Aside from that, he's still a , because any reasonable person would suspect something was not right.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That's pretty close to what the rules are in Mass and CT. You can certainly transport a handgun, but unless you are a LTC permit holder you can't carry it on your person (which is the section you circled). Look at the one above it. This is why people have trigger locks. But I haven't heard that he carried it on his person in the car, just transported it. As for handing it over, I posted the federal rules on that via the ATF. Handguns are regulated by the feds, not just the states. Even then you can lend them to people under some circumstances.

If the government has texts or emails or other evidence that he knew the purpose, then he should be charged. Aside from that, he's still a , because any reasonable person would suspect something was not right.

And yet you make no mention of the joke about Alabama athletes being exempted.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Lol.

Miller delivered a gun that was used to murder someone. I guess he just happened to have a loaded gun sitting around and was happy to deliver it to someone who used it to shoot a woman,

No gun, no murder.

He should be thrown out of school.
But I love the the similar laptop equation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members