OT: - Alabama’s Darius Miles Charged With Murder | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Alabama’s Darius Miles Charged With Murder

Status
Not open for further replies.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
He’s not being charged, and Oats doesn’t seem to have a problem with Miller supplying a murder weapon. Gross.

That's the troubling thing. Oats DOES have a right to do something about that. I'm sure there is a code of conduct at Bama sports (but I would imagine pretty damn loose compared to the rest of civilized world) but you would think bringing a gun to a murder scene would trigger a "not meeting team standards" type of discipline at absolute rock bottom minimum.

But then again, we suspended 2 players for different sentences for the same laptop crime because we needed one to be our PG that year. So, yeah, College athletics. Same as it ever was.

Reaction Score
That's the troubling thing. Oats DOES have a right to do something about that. I'm sure there is a code of conduct at Bama sports (but I would imagine pretty damn loose compared to the rest of civilized world) but you would think bringing a gun to a murder scene would trigger a "not meeting team standards" type of discipline at absolute rock bottom minimum.

But then again, we suspended 2 players for different sentences for the same laptop crime because we needed one to be our PG that year. So, yeah, College athletics. Same as it ever was.
That's not what happened with the laptop. It's what PC fans say happened, but it's not what happened.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Nope.

As of January 1, 2023, Alabama does not require a permit or license to carry a loaded handgun in any vehicle.

sing with me now........

O beautiful for spacious skies,
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain majesties
Above the fruited plain! ..................................
Federal law on this topic. Depends on what he knew or should have known. Note: licensee doesn't mean a state permit, it means an FFL.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Am I reading this right? Miller brought the gun to the murder scene, said it was loaded, and was around while the shooting took place?

Quote in the article isn't clear if Miller brought his gun to Miles or if Miller brought Miles' gun to Miles. Maybe a distinction without a difference.

"Miles contacted Miller and asked him to bring his gun to where they were, according to police."

Regardless, I find it grotesque if Miller and Bradley were at the scene and didn't immediately notify law enforcement or university personnel.

My spider senses says this story blows up nationally over next 48 hours and there will be a different narrative coming from the university.

August_West

Reaction Score
Am I reading this right? Miller brought the gun to the murder scene, said it was loaded, and was around while the shooting took place?

Quote in the article isn't clear if Miller brought his gun to Miles or if Miller brought Miles' gun to Miles. Maybe a distinction without a difference.

"Miles contacted Miller and asked him to bring his gun to where they were, according to police."

Regardless, I find it grotesque if Miller and Bradley were at the scene and didn't immediately notify law enforcement or university personnel.

My spider senses says this story blows up nationally over next 48 hours and there will be a different narrative coming from the university.

Your spider sense is right, this will definitely be a thing very soon, and if Miller is playing in the NCAA tourney on a team as the overall 1 seed, it is going to be crazy.

Reaction Score
The University needs to step in and kick Miller off the team and get rid of Oats.

Agreed. Sounds like this is just making it out to the media. Bama is the #2 team in the nation and Brandon Miller was a surefire top 5 pick before this. The media is about to be all over this and the University is going to have to do something. I knew Oats rubbed some people the wrong way but I had no idea he's this level of scumbag. It's not to the level of Dave Bliss but I'm getting some Bliss vibes from him.

Danny must be pretty disgusted by this. He gave Oats his start and considers him a friend.

Reaction Score
Woah.... this SHOULD affect Miller's draft stock, but who knows if it actually will (since he's so darn good). I will be the first to say: I had previously wished we hired Oats over Hurley - after reading this, I no longer feel that way. If our coach failed to discipline a de facto accessory to murder the whole state would be calling for his head

Reaction Score
Nope.

As of January 1, 2023, Alabama does not require a permit or license to carry a loaded handgun in any vehicle.

sing with me now........

O beautiful for spacious skies,
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain majesties
Above the fruited plain! ..................................
Yes I understand that. I’m was referring to supplying the gun used in the commission of a murder and being present.

August_West

Reaction Score
Yes I understand that. I’m was referring to supplying the gun used in the commission of a murder and being present.

The excuse is that he had no way of knowing it would be used for that. Flimsy. But that's all they need to say.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The University needs to step in and kick Miller off the team and get rid of Oats.

Agreed. Sounds like this is just making it out to the media. Bama is the #2 team in the nation and Brandon Miller was a surefire top 5 pick before this. The media is about to be all over this and the University is going to have to do something. I knew Oats rubbed some people the wrong way but I had no idea he's this level of scumbag. It's not to the level of Dave Bliss but I'm getting some Bliss vibes from him.

Danny must be pretty disgusted by this. He gave Oats his start and considers him a friend.
I think firing Oats is an overreaction. He waited until the court case to find the exact details. Miller wasn’t charged initially, can’t suspend someone off of here-say.

Just a really bad look in hindsight. Knowing SEC athletics, I don’t doubt Miller will not be suspended for the NCAA Tournament. Maybe the SEC Tournament.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Interesting ambiguity in the word "his" in that sentence.

All kinds of tasteless humor possibilities are available when considering in the violent loss of life plus the Alabama firearms laws as informally reported here, but I'll pass on offering anything publicly.

So far, it seems like a pretty bad story all the way around. I'll wait for what else develops.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think firing Oats is an overreaction. He waited until the court case to find the exact details. Miller wasn’t charged initially, can’t suspend someone off of here-say.

Just a really bad look in hindsight. Knowing SEC athletics, I don’t doubt Miller will not be suspended for the NCAA Tournament. Maybe the SEC Tournament.

Lol.

Miller delivered a gun that was used to murder someone. I guess he just happened to have a loaded gun sitting around and was happy to deliver it to someone who used it to shoot a woman,

No gun, no murder.

He should be thrown out of school.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Serious question, how is he not being charged for purposely supplying the gun that was used to kill someone?

I tried to read up on it and the answer appears to be “Alabama.”

I think they said that they do not have any kind of charge that would pertain to bringing a gun to a murder.

I mean…wow?

Reaction Score

I think they said that they do not have any kind of charge that would pertain to bringing a gun to a murder.

I mean…wow?
The stated reason I have read is that there needs to be clear intent or knowledge that it would lead to a crime for him to be charge. Unless there is something explicitly showing Miles telling Miller about WHY he needs the gun, he can claim/feign innocence in this case.
Law is the same in Alabama as it is in New Hampshire, in case people are thinking it is just a south thing. We are not insulated from silly gun laws in New England...

Reaction Score

I mean…wow?
They would probably need some texts/witness testimony to know intent. The articles I've read about what happened are poorly written but it sure sounds like Miller knew what the gun was going to be used for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom