Al in Portal | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Al in Portal

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Where ever he ends up the boneyard should organize a group of fans to attend one of his games in full out UConn gear. He would appreciate it I’m sure. I had the chance to personally talk to and thank AL in Charleston and he was one of the nicest and gracious guys ever. He deserves it.

Reaction Score
He could still technically play 2 years, right? Medical hardship waiver or something of that ilk, if I recall correctly.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Al has two options imho. He can find a role off the bench for a higher level D1 school or he can look to be a starter at an Elon type school. Some might say just stay at UConn if he wants option 1 but as Hurley said Al needs a clean start. I like option 2 which should give him plenty of opportunity to impress scouts and increase his potential to play professionally.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It was the right call for both.

Al is not the player he was before the injuries and while still a useful player, the path forward for him here is less time rather than more time.

Now, he can head closer to home, drop down a level in competition and maybe get some of his game back and see what’s out there for him professionally. His college career is not over...still time for him to enjoy it and he should.

Reaction Score
Al will be an important player on a team. I think he'll have a really good year but here he'd be 3rd on the pg depth chart. My 1st thought was too bad Hunter wasn't still at GSU but it appears Al still has interest there.

Last edited:

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Wishing Alterique the best. He certainly hasn't had the best, with two lost years from shoulder instability, multiple surgeries, extended rehab, and a tough time getting his mojo back on the court. I think he turned the corner, however, and showed quite a bit the last few games.

He's a good guy and a good player. Go and light it up next year.

Reaction Score
It was the right call for both.

Al is not the player he was before the injuries and while still a useful player, the path forward for him here is less time rather than more time.

Now, he can head closer to home, drop down a level in competition and maybe get some of his game back and see what’s out there for him professionally. His college career is not over...still time for him to enjoy it and he should.

Fishy thinking more along the lines of a Georgia St., Georgia Southern, UNCW type finish rather than going P5 or alike? If he wants 30 plus minutes he will need to go that direction more than likely any other big program he could run into the same situation as here.

EDIT:Didn't see the Tennspro post before the GA State thoughts. Not a bad one for him.

Reaction Score
I still don’t understand why people think Gaffney would have automatically started ahead of Gilbert on the depth chart next year- did anyone watch the last three weeks of the season ? Once Gilbert cut down on the silly turnovers the last month of the season Gilbert clearly outplayed him in most areas. I think Gilbert would’ve continue to improve and would’ve been a very valuable asset for us next year like I said before I hope Cole is the real deal and gaff improves greatly or we’re gonna be in trouble in the back court

Reaction Score
Hoping for a better list than what’s been mentioned so far for Al but still early. He can certainly fit at a lower level conference, maybe a place like ECU or Tulane :eek:

Reaction Score
Do grad transfers count?
Graduates of schools have to be invited back by the coach which normally happens. So while technically he is a “Hurley Transfer” he is not really. He just decided to not pursue a graduate degree. If Sid Wilson leaves which might occur then that’ll be his first.

Reaction Score
Better article with mostly quotes from Alterique (no pay wall). I wish him the best. He's a class act.

“No hard feelings,” he said. “I feel like UConn made me who I am today. Without some of those experiences, I wouldn’t be here. UConn was always my dream school. Just to have the opportunity to put the jersey on as many times as I did was a blessing.”“

“I’ll forever be a part of that program, in my eyes,” Gilbert said. “I’m proud to say I’m a Husky forever.”

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
“I’ll forever be a part of that program, in my eyes,” Gilbert said. “I’m proud to say I’m a Husky forever.”

1584645261977.png

Reaction Score
Yikes, I hope his offer list ends up better than that. You'd think a lower-tier P5 in the southeast would have room.

This is why I'm curious to see where he lands. Not sure there's going to be a huge market for a 5'10 guard with a .455 TS%. I'd imagine someone would take a shot on his raw talent and athleticism though. There are tons of decent teams out there with depth issues. The question is what kind of role does Al want?

Reaction Score
Wish him the best and sucks that he had such bad luck. But if Cole is half as good as advertised, there really isn’t a spot or a need for Gilbert. I’m sure he wasn’t discouraged from going.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Do grad transfers count?
What difference does it make if DH had no xfers - if he does have some does that make him not walk on water????
Wow

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom