Al in Portal | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Al in Portal

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I wish Al the best. I hope he finds a great fit for him. I'll be rooting for him (as long as he's not playing against us.)

Reaction Score
I hope he ends on somewhere that he can display his gifts. He is an amazing player that just needs an opportunity to shine. Whether that’s in the ACC as a 6th man or a potential starter for a team in the MAC, or a star on a team like Iona with Rick Patino.

I would like to see him on a team back home close to family with a decent program. Georgia Tech or UGA could use him. Maybe even a team like FGCU.

Reaction Score
I hate to see him go.

AG needs to do what he feels is right and best for himself. He gave this program everything he had on and off the court. His team leadership, setting the bar high and leading by example, his communication skills and chemistry with his teammates, was a very big part of the growth and resurgence of this program since Hurley was hired as coach.

As a player Alterique Gilbert was a step off his game from the great promise he had as an 18 year old McDonald's All American. Three years of seriously debilitating shoulder injuries, surgeries, and extended recoveries, both mentally and physically, really messed with his continuing development as a player. We definitely saw flashes of how good he could be, and I stand by the belief I have that he is still learning how to play the point guard position at the college level. Playing for Hurley and staff this season especially, AG was showing improvement with his decision making, not getting so deep into the lane, not turning the ball over as much, playing more to share the ball then score, more so later in the season as he learned these lessons. His open court ballhandling and man to man defense were always strengths.

Like Hurley said "Al needs to hit the reset button". UConn doesn't need three point guards. RJ Cole, Jalen Gaffney, and AG would all play, but it's congested at this position. I think AG would continue to be an excellent player for us as a veteran 5th year guard, but it's in AG's best interests to transfer to another program, to a team that has space at the point guard position. I am quite sure that he will end up on a team able to contend for championships.

This is the best opportunity for Al. God Bless, thanks for playing for UConn.

Reaction Score
As I've said before, this kid is nowhere near his ceiling. Hopefully he lands somewhere that gives him complete control on the floor. He needs lots of room to grow and it's unlikely he wuld get it in Storrs.

Reaction Score
I wish him the best. He stuck around through an awful stretch of UConn basketball and got a raw deal with all of the injuries. We'll never know how good he could have been.

Curious to see where he lands.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So what do the scholarships look like now?
A lot like this, just less fish cakey:
1584639413695.png

Reaction Score
Just wondering, are there any restrictions on where he can go? Could he go to a Big East school?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Outside of Sid, who else would we expect to be leaving...?

I've guessed JC for a while now, and would be even more likely if Mac reclasses. Josh has moved behind Whaley on the depth chart and may move further behind Javonte Brown Ferguson / Springs. If we add another big, he will be lucky to see the floor more than 10 minutes per game. Not ideal for a 3 year starter going into their final season of competitive basketball.

Reaction Score
So now with Gilbert in the transfer portal, Hurley continues to build this team. Bring in Landers Nolley, sign this player up! This player is a proven volume scorer, a 6'7 big guard/wing, who will make threes, and score with a midrange game and through contact, who will to quote another Boneyard poster, really give us some "ADDED FIREPOWER!" More offense please.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is hurley’s first transfer ever right?
Nope.

From @NJHoops a while back:

It’s not quite true that he’s never had a transfer. He had two guys leave as grad transfers (both went to lower levels), and he had a little-used sophomore that transferred the same year (also went to a lower level). The grad transfers were regular transfers he had brought in in to sit out during his first year at URI. They moved on as the talent upgrade happened.
What is true is that he’s never lost a guy to transfer that he didn’t want to. URI was also really limited his first years there because of APR concerns, so there was a reason to limit player movement. He’ll be incredibly honest with the returning guys, but he’s also not going to fundamentally change who he is as a coach and teacher.

Reaction Score
Damn, really wished he'd come around. He was robbed of the chance to do it in the postseason. Lots of good things were turning, just couldn't get the shot to fall consistently. I'll watch him elsewhere and I'm sure he'll excel. Best of luck to you young man. At a time like this, we realize basketball isn't everything.

Reaction Score
Nope.

From @NJHoops a while back:

It’s not quite true that he’s never had a transfer. He had two guys leave as grad transfers (both went to lower levels), and he had a little-used sophomore that transferred the same year (also went to a lower level). The grad transfers were regular transfers he had brought in in to sit out during his first year at URI. They moved on as the talent upgrade happened.
What is true is that he’s never lost a guy to transfer that he didn’t want to. URI was also really limited his first years there because of APR concerns, so there was a reason to limit player movement. He’ll be incredibly honest with the returning guys, but he’s also not going to fundamentally change who he is as a coach and teacher.

They have names! I could have at least named them... Biggie Minnis and Jarelle Reischel were the grad transfers (to Wright State and Eastern Kentucky, respectively), Matt Butler was the regular transfer (to UT- Martin).

Alterique Gilbert deserves everything good thing I hope is coming his way, and I wish him nothing but the best! Go somewhere closer to home, carve out a role, stay healthy, play well, and then get paid.

Reaction Score
I've guessed JC for a while now, and would be even more likely if Mac reclasses. Josh has moved behind Whaley on the depth chart and may move further behind Javonte Brown Ferguson / Springs. If we add another big, he will be lucky to see the floor more than 10 minutes per game. Not ideal for a 3 year starter going into their final season of competitive basketball.

I'd be surprised if Carlton didn't still get his 20 minutes a night next year. I would also be very, very surprised if Springs or JVB (especially the latter) is able to usurp his minutes. Carlton still serves a valuable role for this team and should have a solid season next year if the staff goes through with their plan of trimming down Carlton this summer.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Wonder if Hurley even invited him back, or if it was Al's decision 100%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22