Akoy Agau Post Grad Transfer | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Akoy Agau Post Grad Transfer

Reaction Score
I just stumbled on a Tweet from 2012 when he was offered by us. A reporter said UConn was his "dream school." grains of salt and all that

Is that like the Dream Shake?

Reaction Score
This seems like a no-brainer for both sides.

We need players, he is a player, we need players, we need players and we need a few players.

Players? Let's not get greedy here.

We need bodies with a pulse. And although I'm no doctor, he appears to have a body and a pulse. Therefore he fits the current criteria for huskies basketball.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Really nice handle for a big, based on what I saw in that tape. Sign him up...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
How would he have two years left?

He would have to apply for a medical redshirt, but he missed almost all of 2014-15 with a torn ACL.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
He would have to apply for a medical redshirt, but he missed almost all of 2014-15 with a torn ACL.

I don't want more schollys hung up for 2018. The staff obviously have big aspirations for that recruiting class. If he was willing to only do one, then maybe.

Reaction Score
I don't want more schollys hung up for 2018. The staff obviously have big aspirations for that recruiting class. If he was willing to only do one, then maybe.
The staff may not get a shot at 2018 if we don't fill out this year's roster with decent talent. We still have 5 scholarships left, and it's likely Jalen and/or Terry leave after this season.

Reaction Score
This would not be a small deal. In addition to what pj said, he can pass a little bit (2.3 assists per 40). We haven't had that from a big in forever.

Another thing to keep in mind is that, although he's been around the block a little bit, he's still played less than 600 minutes in his career. He was a solid piece for Georgetown last season and there is reason to think he can be more than that moving forward.

I think he would raise the ceiling of next years team considerably and honestly, I would rather have this kid than Enoch given the choice.

Georgetown's second half run against us last year was largely fueled by making mincemeat of Enoch on D and on the glass, and Agau was a huge part of that. He was very active. I'd be psyched to get him.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Georgetown's second half run against us last year was largely fueled by making mincemeat of Enoch on D and on the glass, and Agau was a huge part of that. He was very active. I'd be psyched to get him.

Can anyone compare him to Rooks? My memory of Rooks when he was being recruited from high school was that he was slow footed and not much of a leaper.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Can anyone compare him to Rooks? My memory of Rooks when he was being recruited from high school was that he was slow footed and not much of a leaper.
Correct. Rooks is huge (7-foot, 280 lbs) and very much a classic center. He'd struggle to contain pick & rolls, but he's a force on the glass and does a good job of contesting shots.

Agou is about 6-foot-8 and decently mobile with a 7-foot-3 wingspan, so he can protect the rim a little bit, rebounds pretty well, and can guard 4s in addition to 5s. He's a more "modern" player in that he's a little bit versatile, but is still very much a big man.

Reaction Score
Correct. Rooks is huge (7-foot, 280 lbs) and very much a classic center. He'd struggle to contain pick & rolls, but he's a force on the glass and does a good job of contesting shots.

Agou is about 6-foot-8 and decently mobile with a 7-foot-3 wingspan, so he can protect the rim a little bit, rebounds pretty well, and can guard 4s in addition to 5s. He's a more "modern" player in that he's a little bit versatile, but is still very much a big man.

Excellent comparison Matrim... and taking that a step further...

Out of all the Grad Transfer big men CURRENTLY out there who could play for us next year... This is the guy we should want the most. A slow-footed big in the classic style like Rooks does not fit KO's style of play anywhere near as well as Agou does. A much better fit for both us AND him.

If we can get Agou and one other player (a committed Waters, or a decent shooting wing of some sort) then we have the chance at a good year next year... a very good year. Maybe a bit too optimistic, but hey... it's only May.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Excellent comparison Matrim... and taking that a step further...

Out of all the Grad Transfer big men CURRENTLY out there who could play for us next year... This is the guy we should want the most. A slow-footed big in the classic style like Rooks does not fit KO's style of play anywhere near as well as Agou does. A much better fit for both us AND him.

If we can get Agou and one other player (a committed Waters, or a decent shooting wing of some sort) then we have the chance at a good year next year... a very good year. Maybe a bit too optimistic, but hey... it's only May.

Agreed with everything.

We obviously need big bodies, but if we're choosing, he's a great fit. Our entire team makeup is a tough fit for a typical old school big like Rooks, whereas Agou's body and game fit well for what our bigs need to do.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
This would not be a small deal. In addition to what pj said, he can pass a little bit (2.3 assists per 40). We haven't had that from a big in forever.

Another thing to keep in mind is that, although he's been around the block a little bit, he's still played less than 600 minutes in his career. He was a solid piece for Georgetown last season and there is reason to think he can be more than that moving forward.

I think he would raise the ceiling of next years team considerably and honestly, I would rather have this kid than Enoch given the choice.
Probably 6 times in his whole career Amida showed a real knack for hitting cutters and delivered great passes. Probably the only 6 times he passed the ball. Great pass:assist ratio.

Reaction Score
Would love to hear something on this guy, think this could be a catch if they can reel him in. Hear about the "dream" school thing and then nothing. Inquiring minds need to know dammit.

Reaction Score
Would love to hear something on this guy, think this could be a catch if they can reel him in. Hear about the "dream" school thing and then nothing. Inquiring minds need to know dammit.
The dream school thing is from when he was in high school

Reaction Score
Even if the quote is from high school, I have to imagine that, just based on knowing that alone, we are in a much better spot than we have been for most of these guys.

Reaction Score
We are in a very bizarre situation where we are undergoing a utterly horrific off-season, and still have the opportunity to have a net-positive spring/summer. Waters, Akoy and of the transfer guards (UMass, Utah) plus potentially the big from Maryland or the UMass package big and we are in better shape than 3 months ago, somehow. This seems like a realistic possibility, assuming our insiders are actually getting good info.

Reaction Score
We are in a very bizarre situation where we are undergoing a utterly horrific off-season, and still have the opportunity to have a net-positive spring/summer. Waters, Akoy and of the transfer guards (UMass, Utah) plus potentially the big from Maryland or the UMass package big and we are in better shape than 3 months ago, somehow. This seems like a realistic possibility, assuming our insiders are actually getting good info.
All true. But it also exemplifies the over reaction of this board. Say what you want, but the three transfers were marginal players at best. In other words, they can all be replaced in mid may. That says it all. Truth is, on the court Vance was a decent role player. The other two weren't even that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom