Akok training with Coach Sal | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Akok training with Coach Sal

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Struggling on pushups.....check.
Painfully thin...check.
You dredging for "likes"......check.

Boneyard training graduates all agree he needs major development, so why can't you?
You realize there are good, but skinny players in the NCAA and even in the NBA right? He’s a highly ranked kid, and your analysis of an Instagram post means absolutely nothing. He’s going to be good according to just about every scout who’s seen him. Feel free to keep being a hot take machine.

Reaction Score
Just asked my "source" about Sal out of curiosity

Apparently he's all over these kids on diet and meal prep. Has made Akok eat snacks on the bench during games, lol. Tracks basically everything they eat.

Not a screaming/intense guy in the gym like you might expect from his incidents before uconn. Does expect intensity from the guys though like Hurley. More methodical, scientific than you might expect. Source says doing some kind of martial art has mellowed him out?

Really working towards getting the players to be able to do olympic lifts, deadlifts, etc. But for bball players (they are tall, skinny, and disproportional have the time) it can take a lot of prep to get them there. Thats what youre seeing with Akok. I do know hes been with a high level strength program since.at least November before he got to uconn.

Seems to think Sid has had a reality check this year. Hoping he's more dedicated to the gym because of it.

Is really impressed with Sal. Hes willing to bring in other strength/PT experts for help, works hard, creating a great culture. If a kid doesnt come back next year prepared for the season, its their own fault.

Reaction Score
You can always start with weights, weights don't injure you, only bad form or too much wieght for you to handle can cause injuries. All this exercise science stuff and doing all these core exercises before you graduate to weights is kind of nonsensical to me. All the major lifts people have been doing for over a hundred years build core strength.

I'm not discrediting Sal, he obviously knows what he's doing.

Hes lifting. Its not in the video because its very low weights currently.

Its about developing MOBILITY for heavy lifts, much more than core strength.

Basketball players are more strong and athletic than ever. Look at the Bird/Magic pics from back in the day. Compare that to Giannis/Harden (and hardens doughy by nba standards!!) That's because of strength and conditioning advances.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1550612307355.png

Reaction Score
The sooner they can cook him into some weight lifting the better. Waiting for the optimal moment may be a long wait. Quite frankly, sometimes one just needs to dive in on the deep end and start trying to swim.
Is there any topic you don't think you're the expert in? Think I'll put my trust in the strength Coach on this one. Quite frankly, Chief has no idea what he is talking about, as usual.

Reaction Score
People forget that the coach is building Strength and Conditioning. And strength is different from size or weight, you can make a skinny guy strong. In basketball you fight for position using large muscles, upper body, thighs, gluts. You run down the court using your larger muscles thighs, calves. Then you have to use fine motor skills for dribbling and shooting, hands, fingers. The last part is mostly about conditioning.

If strength training makes you bigger than conditioning becomes more important. In short, there are so many variables that programs need to be individualized. So without knowing what the S&C is focused on, it's difficult to tell how much progress the player is making.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Durant couldn't even come close to benching 185 lbs. for 1 rep when he came into the NBA, if I had to guess he still can't. Brandon Ingram was benching with 115 lbs. when he came in the league. Akok does need to gain strength, especially in the legs but to say he's obviously a 4 year player based off this vid is ridiculous.

These exercises are all nice but the only way to gain strength is lifting weights and eating a lot.

If Akok plans to go into the league as a 2 or 3, then sure he can be as skinny as Durant or Ingram were. But if he is expected to be a 4 or 5 then he is going to be tossed around like a cardboard cutout in the AAC, let alone the NBA.

Agreed he can probably put on enough mass and size to be a 4 in the NBA in about 2 years (with lots more size and development to come after he gets into the league), but kid needs to bust his ass off.

C

Chief00

You can always start with weights, weights don't injure you, only bad form or too much wieght for you to handle can cause injuries. All this exercise science stuff and doing all these core exercises before you graduate to weights is kind of nonsensical to me. All the major lifts people have been doing for over a hundred years build core strength.

@superjohn - 100% correct. Let’s not overthink this fellas.
#ChiefCertified

pj

Reaction Score
Sal is doing things the right way. You need to build the neurological maps / muscle memory at a slow pace and non-threatening weights in order to get the full effect. This is why tai chi is so effective as a martial art -- those slow, low-force movements are not training the muscles, they are teaching the brain what the muscles can do. With the brain allowing proper movement, and repetition having made it second nature, the weight lifting will be more effective. Going too quickly to high weights risks baking in bad habits that will limit progress and risk injury.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sal is doing things the right way. You need to build the neurological maps / muscle memory at a slow pace and non-threatening weights in order to get the full effect. This is why tai chi is so effective as a martial art. With the brain allowing proper movement, and repetition having made it second nature, the weight lifting will be more effective. Going too quickly to high weights risks baking in bad habits that will limit progress and risk injury.

But the anonymous message board poster says we shouldnt trust the professionals....

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The sooner they can cook him into some weight lifting the better. Waiting for the optimal moment may be a long wait. Quite frankly, sometimes one just needs to dive in on the deep end and start trying to swim.

I think Sal has a pretty good idea of what he's doing.

Kid probably hasn't lifted a weight in his life (not properly anyway). No need to get him hurt right off the bat. Just build a base and then go.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Struggling on pushups.....check.
Painfully thin...check.
You dredging for "likes"......check.

Boneyard training graduates all agree he needs major development, so why can't you?

He's not struggling. He's doing them purposefully slowly, as you should. It's about form over speed every time.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I hope we can hang on to Sal for a few years
I'd take a guess Hurley's initial pitch to Sal was to come for 2-3 years to help change culture, then he can peace out.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

If you build muscle on a bad base, as an athlete, you're in trouble. The mobility and coordination of joints/muscles/core etc is everything. I'm sure that's what Sal's getting at.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Hes lifting. Its not in the video because its very low weights currently.

Its about developing MOBILITY for heavy lifts, much more than core strength.

Basketball players are more strong and athletic than ever. Look at the Bird/Magic pics from back in the day. Compare that to Giannis/Harden (and hardens doughy by nba standards!!) That's because of strength and conditioning advances.
My money would be on either college Bird or college Magic in a fight versus Akok, heck I'd wouldn't bet against them now either.

(Kind of a silly point though, don't you agree in retrospect?)

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Just asked my "source" about Sal out of curiosity

Apparently he's all over these kids on diet and meal prep. Has made Akok eat snacks on the bench during games, lol. Tracks basically everything they eat.

Not a screaming/intense guy in the gym like you might expect from his incidents before uconn. Does expect intensity from the guys though like Hurley. More methodical, scientific than you might expect. Source says doing some kind of martial art has mellowed him out?

Really working towards getting the players to be able to do olympic lifts, deadlifts, etc. But for bball players (they are tall, skinny, and disproportional have the time) it can take a lot of prep to get them there. Thats what youre seeing with Akok. I do know hes been with a high level strength program since.at least November before he got to uconn.

Seems to think Sid has had a reality check this year. Hoping he's more dedicated to the gym because of it.

Is really impressed with Sal. Hes willing to bring in other strength/PT experts for help, works hard, creating a great culture. If a kid doesnt come back next year prepared for the season, its their own fault.

Exactly. Throwing a 6'9 beanpole into Olympic lifts is a whole nother ball of wax than your average 5'7" weekend warrior. The leverage and force on the joints is all off.

I'm not sure why there is surprised at Sal relying on 'exercise science'. You CANNOT train in professional anything without that. It's literally the leading edge of physical fitness and performance. Anything less, and I'd be disappointed.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
If you build muscle on a bad base, as an athlete, you're in trouble. The mobility and coordination of joints/muscles/core etc is everything. I'm sure that's what Sal's getting at.
Sal knows what he doing. I don't think that's the issue so much as AKok's starting point. He'll get there but it's a long road.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Sal knows what he doing. I don't think that's the issue so much as AKok's starting point. He'll get there but it's a long road.

We all got a look at the kid before he committed. I'm surprised that anybody is surprised at his starting point. Kid looks like a clothes hanger.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

This was really great to hear.

It's the kind of pro-level program UCONN desperately needed. Size, strength, speed, mobility, etc is really a holistic endeavor at this point in our knowledge of best practice in regards to fitness. It's not a matter of just walking into the gym and rocking up to the squat racks anymore.

As you say, if the kids don't make gains, we now know who to hold accountable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom