Akok Akok withdraws from Putnam Science Academy | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Akok Akok withdraws from Putnam Science Academy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Chief receives lots of feedback and makes adjustments accordingly, if appropriate. Recruiting is sometimes too complex for the typical casual fan, nothing wrong with that, but it’s a factor that we must process.
So Chief will break down Akok in one simple sentence:
Akok is UConn bound, if he achieves minimum scores on SAT for admissions, otherwise he goes pro.
Thanks Chief for your input in this complex recruitment!

Reaction Score
If that means the kid would suffer financially, a Go Fund Me account should be started to help him out. Probably some NCAA prohibition...

Ha! Yeah probably.

Reaction Score
If we do by some miracle get him, how does that change our season outlook? Our back court is one of the best in the country already, and now you’re adding a 5* PF/C who can extend defenses? Call me crazy but I think a sweet 16 or better run would be extremely possible

Reaction Score
If we do by some miracle get him, how does that change our season outlook? Our back court is one of the best in the country already, and now you’re adding a 5* PF/C who can extend defenses? Call me crazy but I think a sweet 16 or better run would be extremely possible
I know it’s cliche, but you never know how quickly a freshman big will adjust to the speed of the college game - never mind that he’d be coming in mid-season and would have to learn how to play with this team.

Akok is a phenomenal talent, so it’s obviously a good thing if they’re able to add him. But maybe we should pump the brakes a bit on raining expectations.

Reaction Score
This guy needs at least 3 years in college. No where near ready for the nba he’s a twig!

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Wow. Maybe a certain someone on the team is leaving due to frustration over minutes? Just a guess. Otherwise compliance is getting creative through other means if this does happen.
Someone mentioned earlier that Yakwe is a genius and he could get an academic scholarship. No clue if he is or if that’s possible. Thoughts?

Reaction Score

He is not a center, and he would be playing the 4. However we already have Polley who keeps improving and Sid now being eligible. If Akok were to join next semester he would certainly add more competition for the front court, but I am not sure if he will have a big impact on the court this year.

If you compare him to Polley:

Polley is taller than Akok.
Polley is a career 40% 3 pt shooter, that would be hard to match for Akok in is first year in college.
Polley has a year plus worth of practice and game experience working with his current teammates.
Polley is currently leading the team in blocks.

Getting Akok to come to UConn next semester would be great for UConn. It would energize UConn's recruiting, it would probably get the attention of other recruits, and if Akok can get to the NBA it would be a great recruiting point for the future.

However I don't think that he will have a big impact during games this year. This speaks more to Polley's development than anything else.

Reaction Score
"Since I have already graduated high school, it makes sense at this point that I study at home for the SAT, which I am taking for the first time on December 1st," Akok said.

"I would like to thank Putnam Science Academy’s teachers, coaches, students and especially my teammates for all they have done for me," he added. "I will be focusing on the SAT in the immediate future and will then address basketball to determine what college is the best fit for me."

The SAT will add another twist in this drama of dramas.

There are no SAT testing dates till March after the December 1st day.

Reaction Score
There is a lot of chaos riding on that one exam date where the results are know, what?3 weeks later?

sat.png

Reaction Score
If you have talent you can make it in the nba
Yup but I think he’s not as good as everyone thinks. Better stay in school for at least 3 years. He wouldn’t even start for UCONN right now!!!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Very uneasy about having 3 open schollies until the Spring.

From where we started, this is OK. I don't expect this to be the same every year.

But given how late Hurley got into the game with the '19 class, I can understand it.

And how he's turned around the UCONN narrative is nothing short of amazing. If you include this point, this recruiting cycle has been very much a success so far.

Reaction Score
He is not a center, and he would be playing the 4. However we already have Polley who keeps improving and Sid now being eligible. If Akok were to join next semester he would certainly add more competition for the front court, but I am not sure if he will have a big impact on the court this year.

If you compare him to Polley:

Polley is taller than Akok.
Polley is a career 40% 3 pt shooter, that would be hard to match for Akok in is first year in college.
Polley has a year plus worth of practice and game experience working with his current teammates.
Polley is currently leading the team in blocks.

Getting Akok to come to UConn next semester would be great for UConn. It would energize UConn's recruiting, it would probably get the attention of other recruits, and if Akok can get to the NBA it would be a great recruiting point for the future.

However I don't think that he will have a big impact during games this year. This speaks more to Polley's development than anything else.
Agree with this. Akok is not a 5, not even close. Having seen him in person many times he's a stretch 4, at best (he's more of a 3 skill-wise with a 4's length). He's not this big physical presence who can bang down low. He's long and thin. Heck, my 14-year old has thicker legs then Akok. Maybe this is more about next year? If he enrolls now that would give him a good 9-months working in the training facility with S&C coach Sal Alosi. If he helps this season, great. If not, he's game-ready next season. Right now, he's no where near NBA ready (or even college ready) physically, if they see him as a 4/5.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Thanks, Chief. Purple Stein reads the tea leaves the same way but is only a casual fan and thus sometimes makes things up.

Please reach out to Chief's contacts at the College Board and keep us apprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom