Akok Akok withdraws from Putnam Science Academy | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Akok Akok withdraws from Putnam Science Academy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It is the middle of the season. Not even close to the same situation. Akok apparently wants to enroll for Spring semester.
I know, not comparing the two situations, just saying that sometimes the best thing to do isn’t going to please everyone. And if the staff could get a guy who doesn’t get much tick to leave the program to make room for Akok I’d do that in a heartbeat even if some feelings get hurt

Reaction Score
My guys felt REALLY confident he was coming, too. They also said his Dad had a long relationship with Syracuse so it was a matter of getting them on board. Maybe he didn't. Or maybe they got him on board. Who knows.

All I can safely say is no one has any idea what's up after this. We're just gonna have to strap in and hope for the best.

Although again - I just feel like there's a lot of red flags there. I don't like guys who back off of commitments and he had a commitment to PSA. He's clearly into the idea of going pro enough to leave the option open... eh - i'm kind of lukewarm on this even if we get him. I hate the idea of getting into low-end one and dones.. And by low-end - he's not gonna be a high lottery pick. I'd rather not be that kind of program.

Reaction Score
I know, not comparing the two situations, just saying that sometimes the best thing to do isn’t going to please everyone. And if the staff could get a guy who doesn’t get much tick to leave the program to make room for Akok I’d do that in a heartbeat even if some feelings get hurt

So i'm not for scholarships getting yanked halfway through a year. Don't wanna be that kind of program and given the mojo everyone's got rght now - i'm not sure that's the message to send.

And even if someone leaves, can they hand over a scholarship if someone leaves halfway through? Is that a thing?

Reaction Score
This is just one of the weirdest recruits I can remember. By all accounts things went well. He's been not only at a lot of games, but enthusiastically interacting at them, too. It's just bizarre. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to say - Syracuse or pitt or something - that's happened before. But to up and go pro? It's just weird.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
I’m pretty confident our Compliance Dept can make some magic happen (see: Drummond) but I am also confident Danny isn’t going to take a scholarship. Either someone is moving on willingly, there’s a walk on scenario at work, or this isn’t us. As much as I’d love to see AA here, I much prefer DH sticking to his principles and keeping his commitment to this team. We’ll see how this plays out...In Hurley I Trust

C

Chief00

You also strongly implied Akok was committing after his visit. I understand things change and this is why no one gives crap to BField and Matrim. Just stop trying to take credit for every movement on the trail especially considering you have a mediocre at best track record.

Stand by what I posted late Thursday/early Friday.
2019 Recruiting: - Kofi Cockburn

Reaction Score
Aren't you a Uconn student? Don't get everyones hopes up. The student manager who told you this probably read he was coming here from the Boneyard.

Former student. My source is not a student manager. Trust me I’d hate to get everyone’s hopes up and then be wrong. I try to put useful info out here. If I’m wrong feel free to lay it on me but I trust the guy telling me this stuff

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Im not completely sure Akok is even on the NBA radar. Remember Akok was ranked outside of the top 70 in his class until one game late in the third live period when he hit a bunch of 3s in front of Slater(? I could be wrong, it was a big name 247 scout) who shot him up the rankings and made him a 5 star the next day. Very raw player. Too raw to even properly grade imo. Right now I’m wondering if he’s going overseas to play.
Also, at this stage of life he looks like a beanpole. We've seen how that looks until getting some legitimate
S & C over a period of time.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
He's coming on board as a chef, someone in the kitchen will realize he has crazy math skills & he'll get a full academic ride. Soon after coach will notice him in hallway and ask him to stop by the gym and the rest will be history.....there are completely legit ways around the scholarship thing ;)
Hilarious.

Reaction Score
While it’d be disappointing to ask a kid to step aside I just don’t think we’re in a position to play nice and pass up on 5 star recruits. Hurley didn’t ask anyone to leave at first probably because we didn’t have any major recruits on the line before, but now we have serious talent at stake. It’s time to be smart not nice.
More likely Hurley cuts a walk on and they find a way financially around the scholarship.

C

Chief00

Chief receives lots of feedback and makes adjustments accordingly, if appropriate. Recruiting is sometimes too complex for the typical casual fan, nothing wrong with that, but it’s a factor that we must process.
So Chief will break down Akok in one simple sentence:
Akok is UConn bound, if he achieves minimum scores on SAT for admissions, otherwise he goes pro.

Reaction Score
Unreal all the time money blood sweat and tears that have been spent recruiting the kid, and he hasn’t even qualified for college yet and may very well not qualify.

Reaction Score
So your saying his wanting to go pro is more based on him not wanting to be a college student more than anything else?

Reaction Score
The late night Corey Evans crystal ball is really throwing me for a loop. What a roller coaster this recruitment has been.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He never mentioned enrolling during the semester break. I just assumed he meant for 2019. Just said to book it that he will be a Husky.

If he can get here on his own dime, he could use the work with our S&C coach. But I don’t know how that happens.

Reaction Score
I agree we shouldn’t yank someone’s scholarship. That would hurt morale, and would seem inconsistent with Hurley’s approach to team building.
I seem to recall that a few years back a UCONN player voluntarily stepped aside to allow another to come onboard. If someone were willing to do that, fine. If that means the kid would suffer financially, a Go Fund Me account should be started to help him out. Probably some NCAA prohibition...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom