Akok Akok withdraws from Putnam Science Academy | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Akok Akok withdraws from Putnam Science Academy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He is not a center, and he would be playing the 4. However we already have Polley who keeps improving and Sid now being eligible. If Akok were to join next semester he would certainly add more competition for the front court, but I am not sure if he will have a big impact on the court this year.

If you compare him to Polley:

Polley is taller than Akok.
Polley is a career 40% 3 pt shooter, that would be hard to match for Akok in is first year in college.
Polley has a year plus worth of practice and game experience working with his current teammates.
Polley is currently leading the team in blocks.

Getting Akok to come to UConn next semester would be great for UConn. It would energize UConn's recruiting, it would probably get the attention of other recruits, and if Akok can get to the NBA it would be a great recruiting point for the future.

However I don't think that he will have a big impact during games this year. This speaks more to Polley's development than anything else.

This is a well thought out post but I think it's a forest for the trees thing. Our most glaring weakness right now is that we play pressure man and have no one to clean up mistakes at the rim. Polley's leading the team in blocks merely proves the point.

If he comes and can block shots, he'll get run.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Lmao! This is honestly pretty entertaining. It’s like a mystery/drama. What will he do next?! Tune in next week to find out!

Was thinking the same thing. Doesn't feel like the Hami D situation, even if we don't end up with Akok. I'm kinda entertained.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
You just never know how good young kids will be in weird situations like this. Diallo was so hyped up yet very underwhelming at UK, even if the bonus semester before playing for real. Plus Akok is a big, they're usually slower to adjust to the college game. Akok probably isn't in college shape, would have to learn our offensive and defensive system, and build some chemistry. It'd be a long shot for Akok to have that kind of impact for us this year. Not to mention there's been enough buzz the last week (from his HS coach and after New Haven) that he needs to get stronger and might struggle to transition to college (meaning next season).

HD ended up with a fairly decent tournament. He had so little skill to go with his uber-elite athleticism that this was kinda predictable. Akok, while very green, seems to have a been more skills relative to his position.

Reaction Score
Biggest embarrassment on this board.
Eh, his schtick is so well worn it’s down to just a normal stick.
Chief's style seems to be the issue with some Yarders, not the message he brings. He does have an unusual style to be sure, but as djct1999 said, if you don't like it, just leave it alone.

As for this post, Chief is the first I've seen with this new take on things...and it does answer a lot of the questions surrounding Akok's recruitment. Seems kind of foolish to disparage him when he's breaking this kind of news!

Reaction Score
As for this post, Chief is the first I've seen with this new take on things...and it does answer a lot of the questions surrounding Akok's recruitment. Seems kind of foolish to disparage him when he's breaking this kind of news!
Corey Evans' tweet last night, and the fact that Akok hasn't taken the SAT, means there's nothing new in this, though it's packaged as if it had something.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
My guess is any school willing to take him mid year after he bailed on his prep team, will have a hard time getting kids from that prep again.

Reaction Score
Wow. Maybe a certain someone on the team is leaving due to frustration over minutes? Just a guess. Otherwise compliance is getting creative through other means if this does happen.
Serious question, if someone does leave mid year, does that kids scholarship become immediately available? If yes, this would explain a lot. This would explain Akok's passive awkwardness in interviews. This would explain his silence. This would mean he knew he was coming to UConn all a long but was instructed to not say a word until the scholarship publicly becomes available.

Reaction Score
My guess is any school willing to take him mid year after he bailed on his prep team, will have a hard time getting kids from that prep again.
Maybe from Brewster. But most schools will take their chances with Putnam Science. They have a history. So much so, they should replace the word science in their name. Putnam History sounds much better. Maybe not, but at least its more accurate.

Reaction Score
Serious question, if someone does leave mid year, does that kids scholarship become immediately available? If yes, this would explain a lot. This would explain Akok's passive awkwardness in interviews. This would explain his silence. This would mean he knew he was coming to UConn all a long but was instructed to not say a word until the scholarship publicly becomes available.

I am not an expert on this, but I think everything is set by semester. So for example, if someone leaves before the end of Fall semester, a scholarship does not open up until winter break in December.

Reaction Score

Breaking!!!

Teehee.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
While it’d be disappointing to ask a kid to step aside I just don’t think we’re in a position to play nice and pass up on 5 star recruits. Hurley didn’t ask anyone to leave at first probably because we didn’t have any major recruits on the line before, but now we have serious talent at stake. It’s time to be smart not nice.
I really have a hard time seeing us asking someone to give up a scholarship, no matter how talented l. Either there’s some odd scenario at work or I don’t think this is us.

100% zero chance Hurley asks someone to leave. He kept everyone to prove a point, not because he necessarily thought it would put the best product on the floor. If you didn't care about the kids, you would have dumped a kid like Kwintin, and picked up another 5th year to help immediately.

Hurley's number 1 goal this season was to completely change the culture of the program. And the foundation of this is loyalty, team, and commitment to the program. He completely trashes all the good he's done, the trust he's built, and the authenticity he has, were he to force somebody out.

Reaction Score
How common is it for a high prospect in his post-grad year to have not taken SATs by now? Seems odd that he hadn’t...but this could be 100% normal and could just be my casual fandom speaking
Could have taken them already but not qualified

Reaction Score
Chief receives lots of feedback and makes adjustments accordingly, if appropriate. Recruiting is sometimes too complex for the typical casual fan, nothing wrong with that, but it’s a factor that we must process.
So Chief will break down Akok in one simple sentence:
Akok is UConn bound, if he achieves minimum scores on SAT for admissions, otherwise he goes pro.

Chief no worries, whatever Akok's score, the admissions office will work at the speed of light to rubber stamp his application.

#TRUSTINADMISSIONS

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
I re-read the article and Borges literally just stated what happened and asked Espinosa what happened. Nothing was in poor taste so I'm confused myself. So his AAU program doesn't like that Connecticut has reporters that hold people accountable for their actions?

My guess is that they weren’t fans of Espinosa’s quotes being published. I don’t see why they’re upset with the reporters, however. They’re just reporting on a story...if they have an issue, I would think it would need to be directed elsewhere

Reaction Score
Ya, pretty sure there have been a few Duke freshmen over the years who didn't meet academic requirements...

Reaction Score
Chief receives lots of feedback and makes adjustments accordingly, if appropriate. Recruiting is sometimes too complex for the typical casual fan, nothing wrong with that, but it’s a factor that we must process.
So Chief will break down Akok in one simple sentence:
Akok is UConn bound, if he achieves minimum scores on SAT for admissions, otherwise he goes pro.
My thoughts. Maybe just maybe he will enroll at Uconn believing he'd make them better if he was in front court. He sees a need? Hey, just adding my thoughts to the circus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom