Akok Akok top five and OVs

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Let's hope he signs when he's on campus next week with Wahab

Reaction Score
We lose that game with a whimper if Niang's on the floor tbh. He was a better version of the St. Joe's kid who killed us until he fouled out.

But also: That was the basketball gods paying back our injury karma for Rickey in 1996. If he stays healthy we win it that year – or at the very least play one of the most epic Final Four games ever against UK.
And perhaps in 09 with Dyson! We would of at least gotten to the finals!!!

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
And perhaps in 09 with Dyson! We would of at least gotten to the finals!!!

Should’ve anyway. The bigs have no excuse for getting thrown around by a couple of guys with no future, Includign a guy who was playing so badly for over a month that he was getting NATIONAL attention for his slump.

Reaction Score
Should’ve anyway. The bigs have no excuse for getting thrown around by a couple of guys with no future, Includign a guy who was playing so badly for over a month that he was getting NATIONAL attention for his slump.

Real difficult environment. It was basically 60k fans rooting against UConn. They hung in there without playing well and Thabeet being a non factor

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Real difficult environment. It was basically 60k fans rooting against UConn. They hung in there without playing well and Thabeet being a non factor

A lack of outside shooting was a problem as well and A.J. Price finally had an off shooting night.

Austria was simply outclassed. He had no business being on the floor in a final four. But it was the way they went down that was problematic. They should’ve absolutely controlled the interior, and the boards.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Real difficult environment. It was basically 60k fans rooting against UConn.

I wasn't sticking around for the 2nd game so I sold my stub and got out of there. As it turned out, we exited to the middle of a road lined with saw horses with tons of people behind. Apparently the sole reason for all those people being there was to tell me how much me and my team sucked. The cops said keep walking.

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
I wasn't sticking around for the 2nd game so I sold my stub and got out of there. As it turned out, we exited to the middle of a road lined with saw horses with tons of people behind. Apparently the sole reason for all those people being there was to tell me how much me and my team sucked. The cops said keep walking.
Yeah - they were real f@#ks
I bought a Wayne Ellington t-shirt asap and became a huge obnoxious UNC fan for,the finals . . . Very satisfying

Reaction Score
Yep. That was the story. The auto bailout pending I believe for poor down trodden Detroit! Still shouldn’t have been pushed under the boards like that plus MSU couldn’t miss a shot although every one touched the entire basket. We just couldn’t break that 8 points from earlier in the game. I had a familiar feeling to that of Caron’s crew vs Maryland. Just couldn’t get those last points to evaporate

Reaction Score
Of the original 5 schools pursuing Akok at the beginning of the thread I thought PC was a dark horse at best. However they just opened their long awaited practice facility, apparently to rave reviews. Last of the NBE to do so. Not sure how much of a game changer it is as to be IN the conversation it is necessary (UConn's football and basketball practice facility is impressive. ) Playing the BE tournament at MSG also helps as a factor, but Hurley will probably be the difference. In 1998, When Coach Welch was hired, he said that not having a practice facility was a major factor in losing recruits.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
When Coach Welch was hired, he said that not having a practice facility was a major factor in losing recruits.
And if they did have a facility it would have been something else

C

Chief00

Of the original 5 schools pursuing Akok at the beginning of the thread I thought PC was a dark horse at best. However they just opened their long awaited practice facility, apparently to rave reviews. Last of the NBE to do so. Not sure how much of a game changer it is as to be IN the conversation it is necessary (UConn's football and basketball practice facility is impressive. ) Playing the BE tournament at MSG also helps as a factor, but Hurley will probably be the difference. In 1998, When Coach Welch was hired, he said that not having a practice facility was a major factor in losing recruits.
I will take a private tour the next time Chief is in RI and report back after a meal on Federal Hill.

Reaction Score
Federal Hill is great. For me it was cigars and steaks with Maker's Mark at the Capital Grille.
Tim Welsh provided stability after Gillen and Barnes went to bigger jobs but he was a mediocre coach. Cooley seems to have momentum but they need to get out of the 1st round.

Reaction Score
And if they did have a facility it would have been something else
I always felt a practice facility is not going to win any recruits, but not having one might lose you a few. I also think that not having a palace to practice in may also toughen the team a little. Especially in football. Practicing out in the cold, rain or heat might better prepare you for game conditions. But I realize you have to keep up with the Jones.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Walk On
58 minutes ago#849
I'm almost at the point that if a kid wanted to play for UConn in that conference against that competition when he could play in the ACC it says something about the kid where I would wonder if he had the stones to compete at the highest of levels.

So, many, gems over on Syracuse fan right now after the Evans article.

Reaction Score
Walk On
58 minutes ago#849
I'm almost at the point that if a kid wanted to play for UConn in that conference against that competition when he could play in the ACC it says something about the kid where I would wonder if he had the stones to compete at the highest of levels.

So, many, gems over on Syracuse fan right now after the Evans article.

They're going through the stages of denial right now...

Reaction Score
They're going through the stages of denial right now...
I try not to go over there anymore. It's like staring at a car wreck. I see comments like "we're Syracuse freakin' University". (Full disclosure - I inserted the apostrophes.)

They simply don't understand how their program is perceived by outsiders these days, especially the recruits.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I always felt a practice facility is not going to win any recruits, but not having one might lose you a few. I also think that not having a palace to practice in may also toughen the team a little. Especially in football. Practicing out in the cold, rain or heat might better prepare you for game conditions. But I realize you have to keep up with the Jones.
Outdoor cold rain and heat doesn't prepare you for indoor basketball, but it does put you at risk for injury!

Reaction Score
Yup, I mixed them up.

'11 was a way different year. I thought we were flat-out monstrously underrated. We were ostensibly overlooked early in the year, absolutely piss hammered like five or six top 20 teams, got off to a good start in the BE, forgot how to play basketball for 2 weeks or so, then figured it all back out in time for the tournament.

I'm really convinced that even if Kansas got past VCU that year. Or if Ohio State didn't flame out.... like those are the two teams that we really struggle with. But I still think we were the best team in the country that year.

'14 was flukey. Again, i'm not knocking those kids. They stepped up and beat a lot of good teams. But no one saw that coming. IN '11, those signs of that tournament run were there all year and even presented themselves for really long stretches of time. I thought we'd have a hard time getting by St Joe's and that the Villanova game would be ta-ta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom