Akok Akok top five and OVs | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Akok Akok top five and OVs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I jumped over to the Syracuse board. Those people have no love for us.
1538164601624.png

Reaction Score
Sorry - That was meant to be a compliment since Huskyhawk - I consider to be very perceptive reading the stitches on a fastball.
I will repeat again:
“ Chief thinks he is Coach Hurley's Power forward”.

Of course I know what you meant. I'm going for my PhD in Chief-speak. I just got really excited. :p ;)

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Hmm. Makes this pick an hour after Chief gives us his prediction...
Oh this isn't a prediction. I haven't heard him say that. How I read that was "Akok Akok is coach Hurley's ideal power forward"

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I jumped over to the Syracuse board. Those people have no love for us.
View attachment 34744

Literally the ONLY thing they have over us is conference. That's it. Nothing else. Oh, and they have a bigger arena (but it's old).
  • They are in a god awful location. Without Boeheim, why would anyone want to go up to that shitehole?
  • They have a bit longer tradition, but with much less success less championships at every single level -- conf, conf tournament, NCAAs 4>1. Every non Syracuse basketball fan in the country wouldn't trade our history for their's.
  • They've got an old-arse HOF coach (which is fine in the short term) who plays an outdated system that does NOT develop guys for the pros defensively--see their moribund pro alumni list. Our pro alumni list is better.
  • The picker will probably kick the the bucket in a few years anyway. So they have that hanging over their head.
  • It will be BEUUUUUTIFUL if Gerry Mac takes over lol
  • They could very well go the way of BC.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

Oh this isn't a prediction. I haven't heard him say that. How I read that was "Akok Akok is coach Hurley's ideal power forward"
That is the starting point to understanding recruiting. Coach Hurley has a vision of how he wants him team to be - and that helps one understand who he focuses on.
I will tell you when this staff makes someone a priority and gets to close time - the attention they give a kid is off the charts.

Reaction Score
Literally the ONLY thing they have over us is conference. That's it. Nothing else. Oh, and they have a bigger arena (but it's old).
  • They are in a god awful location. Without Boeheim, why would anyone want to go up to that shitehole?
  • They have a bit longer tradition, but with much less success less championships at every single level -- conf, conf tournament, NCAAs 4>1. Every non Syracuse basketball fan in the country wouldn't trade our history for their's.
  • They've got an old-arse HOF coach (which is fine in the short term) who plays an outdated system that does NOT develop guys for the pros defensively--see their moribund pro alumni list. Our pro alumni list is better.
  • The picker will probably kick the the bucket in a few years anyway. So they have that hanging over their head.
  • It will be BEUUUUUTIFUL if Gerry Mac takes over lol
  • They could very well go the way of BC.
Yes, they do wave that ACC flag at us, but I can understand why JB was hammering the Syracuse administration for leaving the BE for the ACC. They went for the football money, but it put him in a situation where he will probably never win a conference championship again.

Reaction Score
I have read repeatedly that Slater is pretty accurate with his picks.

The recruitment for Akok feels like it has taken a positive turn for the good guys as his OVs got closer. Always thought we were in it but worried a bit about Akok buying into the Tyler Lydon comparisons at Syracuse, and then lately the potential drawing power of Patrick Ewing and the GTown program. Only thought Providence was in it as the early favorites.

Also could see how our strong recruitment of Achiuwa might give Akok pause when deciding since Achiuwa seems like a college 3/4 man to me, and this is also how Akok wants to play that 4 spot.

However, the perception of Achiuwa is one and done.

But on a loaded team with Hurley I think the feeling is that every player gets minutes, plus as this recruiting class continues to come together the perceived opportunity to contend for a National Championship with the return of the UConn program really picks up steam. If we sign Akok I think that the recruiting momentum will reel Kofi Cockburn in.

UConn Nation on the rise thanks to Daniel Hurley and his most excellent coaching selections of Tom Moore, Kimani Young, Kenya Hunter, Taliek Brown, and Sal Alosi. (I miss anyone?) Players want to play for these guys because the perception now of the culture at UConn is that this staff is going to develop and mature both the player and his game better than at other schools.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom