Akok Akok official visit | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Akok Akok official visit

Reaction Score
Cuse and Georgetown boards confident they still have a shot after reading the Zags article.

C

Chief00

Credit to the actual insiders who have some info on this one.

Also credit to Chief for keeping his name in the mix. The grind never stops.

My Recruiting Dam Break prediction was in August. True, the grind never stops until The Close.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Highly doubt today and maybe even not tomorrow. Chief has communicated SOP of the staff is for the recruit to go home talk to family about decision and then call all the coaches first before announcing
I don't think VCs would call the other coaches on a weekend anyway. I would expect the official announcement to come Monday night or Tuesday.

I'm waiting for the inevitable CB picks. Have you noticed many of the recent picks appear only a day or so before the actual announcement? I saw one pick occur 5 mins before the commitment was posted. Justifiably, the 'expert' got no credit for that one.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I don't think VCs would call the other coaches on a weekend anyway. I would expect the official announcement to come Monday night or Tuesday.

I'm waiting for the inevitable CB picks. Have you noticed many of the recent picks appear only a day or so before the actual announcement? I saw one pick occur 5 mins before the commitment was posted. Justifiably, the 'expert' got no credit for that one.

It happens everywhere. Crystal balls get more meaningful in the days closest to a commitment. The rest of the time it's playing darts.

Reaction Score
Highly doubt today and maybe even not tomorrow. Chief has communicated SOP of the staff is for the recruit to go home talk to family about decision and then call all the coaches first before announcing
I don't know what to think based on the Zags article and other things that have been mentioned in this thread. With that said, it's not uncommon for a recruit to make a verbal commitment, but to not make it public until they get a chance to let the coaches from the other programs know about his decision.

If he did make a solid verbal commitment, we'll probably hear something over the next few days. If he's still taking his Syracuse visit, anything can happen regardless of what he told the UConn staff.

HooperScooper and I used to have one of the assistant coaches as an inside contact. In one case, he told us that a particular recruit that had just visited was going to be a Husky even though the recruit was planning to take his next visit. That next weekend that recruit returned back home committed to that other program.

I'm in no way saying this will be the case, since UConn appears to have been a solid leader for Akok for quite some time. If in fact those on this board who claim to have solid inside contacts have been told that Akok verballed, the news seems promising and we'll probably hear something more definitive over the next few days.

What I find interesting are some of the comments from these recruits after they visit UConn. They seem to say very similar things that recruits in the past have said back when Jim Calhoun was the head coach. I was always very proud that our program wasn't one of those that gave these recruits all sorts of promises, but instead told them that they could be great if they came to Storrs and worked hard. Hurley seems cut from the same mold as JC.

This is the most I've been excited about UConn in the past few years. It'll be very interesting to see not only the type of recruits Hurley brings in, but how well he and the staff coaches them up and the type of team they become. I was always very proud how our UConn teams would out-play and out-will their opponents. We haven't seen that in a few years now. I never want to hear another UConn players say after a game, they didn't have a good effort and they were outplayed by their opponent. That is not what UConn basketball is all about!

I realized we're not in one of the major which has had its impact on recruiting, but there's no reason why our program can't get back to the culture that it once had and have some of the success we've seen in the past. Programs like Gonzaga and Butler, although they didn't win national championships, show you can be successful even if you're not in one of the power-5 Conferences. Please don't turn this thread into a conference realignment debate. Let's celebrate the moment and hope that we get definitive new soon that we have recruit number 3, and on to number 4.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Normally someone quoting a zags blog like this wouldn’t get me nervous.

But the bringer of death posted this one.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Yup. The Jalen Gaffney article that was then changed to "Jalen Gaffney to UConn".

Zags is just repeating what the plan was previously stated. He doesn't know specifically if Akok is still taking the visit to Syracuse or not.
It's the elegant design that @Chief00 cryptically has described. Hurley holds off on announcements to allow the recruits the opportunity to tell the public. It's far more important to them than to posters in the Boneyard. @Zionn and Zags are obfuscating the message to allow this to happen. Of course I know nothing so I could be wrong.:cool:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Normally someone quoting a zags blog like this wouldn’t get me nervous.

But the bringer of death posted this one.
Elegant design. Your fears are part of this design.
Fleudslipcon confirmed.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Elegant design. Your fears are part of this design.
Fleudslipcon confirmed.

As my old college teammate once told me, I’m a subtle as a sledgehammer.

I don’t particularly like or enjoy misdirection or subtlety...

(Key exception: everything about baseball)

Reaction Score
I don't know what to think based on the Zags article and other things that have been mentioned in this thread. With that said, it's not uncommon for a recruit to make a verbal commitment, but to not make it public until they get a chance to let the coaches from the other programs know about his decision.

If he did make a solid verbal commitment, we'll probably hear something over the next few days. If he's still taking his Syracuse visit, anything can happen regardless of what he told the UConn staff.

HooperScooper and I used to have one of the assistant coaches as an inside contact. In one case, he told us that a particular recruit that had just visited was going to be a Husky even though the recruit was planning to take his next visit. That next weekend that recruit returned back home committed to that other program.

I'm in no way saying this will be the case, since UConn appears to have been a solid leader for Akok for quite some time. If in fact those on this board who claim to have solid inside contacts have been told that Akok verballed, the news seems promising and we'll probably hear something more definitive over the next few days.

What I find interesting are some of the comments from these recruits after they visit UConn. They seem to say very similar things that recruits in the past have said back when Jim Calhoun was the head coach. I was always very proud that our program wasn't one of those that gave these recruits all sorts of promises, but instead told them that they could be great if they came to Storrs and worked hard. Hurley seems cut from the same mold as JC.

This is the most I've been excited about UConn in the past few years. It'll be very interesting to see not only the type of recruits Hurley brings in, but how well he and the staff coaches them up and the type of team they become. I was always very proud how our UConn teams would out-play and out-will their opponents. We haven't seen that in a few years now. I never want to hear another UConn players say after a game, they didn't have a good effort and they were outplayed by their opponent. That is not what UConn basketball is all about!

I realized we're not in one of the major which has had its impact on recruiting, but there's no reason why our program can't get back to the culture that it once had and have some of the success we've seen in the past. Programs like Gonzaga and Butler, although they didn't win national championships, show you can be successful even if you're not in one of the power-5 Conferences. Please don't turn this thread into a conference realignment debate. Let's celebrate the moment and hope that we get definitive new soon that we have recruit number 3, and on to number 4.
Good post but we should stop bringing up the Zags and Butler, that's not who we are.

Reaction Score
He verbaled. We got him.
Matrim you beautiful bastard.

You've been on a great run lately. Hopefully that translates to our guys on the court this year.
So I guess we can talk about it now... Need to turn up the heat on Kofi, get him in for that visit and strike while the iron is hot.
I love Danny Hurley. That is all.
He won't be going to Syracuse next weekend.
Dude, he's going to UConn.
God if this true Hurley is the man!!!
"He hopes to sign in November"
We should know on Wahab/Kofi soon.

Welcome to The Mecca Akok! Congratulations to Akok Akok and UConn Nation

My Boneyard brothers,
The future Is looking very bright indeed. Awesome news on the recruiting front. Danny Hurley, Tom Moore, Kimani Young, Kenya Hunter, Taliek Brown, and Sal Alosi are an amazing coaching staff.

Thank you for bringing back that UConn pride.

Reaction Score
Curious if he’s a Yankees fan and ever chanted “1918” Doesn’t matter really. To the victor...

yeah I don’t know what’s worst an idiot Yankee fan yelling “1918” or a moranic Sox fans saying “....but how many do you have since 2004”

Last edited:
C

Chief00

As my old college teammate once told me, I’m a subtle as a sledgehammer.

I don’t particularly like or enjoy misdirection or subtlety...

(Key exception: everything about baseball)
Your choice, but then you are not my audience. My choice.
Chief

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom