Afraid of Competition? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Afraid of Competition?

Reaction Score
There is a sizable faction here that think a win by less than 30-40 points indicates some sort of dramatic failure by the team. Those “squeaker” wins mean pain and humiliation and, ultimately, no championship. :rolleyes: Makes me crazy.
Corollary to that is the inevitable quarter-by-quarter breakdown, wherein the lack of a double digit spread after each period foretells certain doom for the team.
These games aren't played on Xbox, the players aren't robots and the other team's starters outscoring the Husky subs long after the game has been decided means squat ?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Corollary to that is the inevitable quarter-by-quarter breakdown, wherein the lack of a double digit spread after each period foretells certain doom for the team.
These games aren't played on Xbox, the players aren't robots and the other team's starters outscoring the Husky subs long after the game has been decided means squat ?
There’s also the counting of missed layups.

As I posted last month, other fans bases think we’re nuts for obsessing over this stuff

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Geno has not been "afraid" to schedule top competition. So I don't see a problem. UConn is the gold standard for wcbb. And a few teams have upped their game to be consistently in the mix for the national championship. So there are going to be more tough games. And that is a good thing.

With a freshman lead team, SC lost to UConn. I believe Dawn only has one win against Geno since the teams started playing each other. Tara has had better success. The recond is 11 - 7 in favor of UConn. Baylor has been a worthy opponent over the years. Series tied at 5 games each. Time will tell if that changes. Brenda has not had any wins against Geno.

As to whiney posters, every board or forum has them whether its the Boneyard or some other one. Goes with the territory. Bottom line is we are a spoiled fan base. Too many unrealistic expectations.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
That's right!!! He has to. Iron sharpens iron. Teams ranked outside of the top 10 ARE NOT going to help you prepare for the rigors of the tournament.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Geno has not been "afraid" to schedule top competition. So I don't see a problem. UConn is the gold standard for wcbb. And a few teams have upped their game to be consistently in the mix for the national championship. So there are going to be more tough games. And that is a good thing.

With a freshman lead team, SC lost to UConn. I believe Dawn only has one win against Geno since the teams started playing each other. Tara has had better success. The recond is 11 - 7 in favor of UConn. Baylor has been a worthy opponent over the years. Series tied at 5 games each. Time will tell if that changes. Brenda has not had any wins against Geno.

As to whiney posters, every board or forum has them whether its the Boneyard or some other one. Goes with the territory. Bottom line is we are a spoiled fan base. Too many unrealistic expectations.
WCBB fans every where have been bawling, wailing and gnashing their teeth incessantly for years wanting more parity in WCBB. Well now they have it. It's here!!
I welcome it also. If you're good and want to be recognized as THE BEST, you've got to play and beat the best. That means take on ALL comers. Let the games begin.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
My favorite season is 2012-13, Stewie’s freshman season. ND seemingly had UConn’s number, beating the Huskies 3 times in BE play. Baylor and Britney Griner handed UConn a 4th loss. Going into the Big Dance, none of the pundits expected UConn to win. But Stewie became superwoman, UConn surprised ND in the semifinals, got a little help from Jeff Walz and Louisville with their upset over Baylor and the Huskies went on to win an unexpected championship. The absolute best wins are the ones you’re not supposed to win.
For sure!! :)

Reaction Score
Yes, great post. I believe most people got accustomed to Uconn getting the top 5-6 players and running away with it once the cupboard was full of talent. Well it is full, but it also is for SC, Stanford and others and there is always the team that gets hot in the tournament like AZ. Still one of the co-teams to beat and will just have to work a little harder to win it than some of our great teams of the past did when the competition wasn't as steep.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I have always enjoyed the wit and wisdom of the BY. But I must say in recent days I am perplexed by some BY’ers who appear to be afraid of tougher competition from teams like SC, Stanford, MD and others, who are loading up already talented rosters with top recruiting classes as well as talented transfers.

An overwhelmingly dominant UConn team is in fact bad for WBB. Great competition between great teams and coaches, like we will see over the next few seasons will be absolutely great for WBB. I am certain that neither Geno or his players are afraid of that challenge.

There is no reason for UConn fans to be afraid, but rather, we should all embrace the competition ahead. We will all witness some epic games. Personally, I will still put my money on UConn and the short Italian guy.
I would rather the team lose 2-4 games to top teams, and use it as a coaching opportunity, and be ready for the tourneyy

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There’s also the counting of missed layups.
As I posted last month, other fans bases think we’re nuts for obsessing over this stuff
We are nuts and spoiled and entitled and unaccepting a failure (insert your own adjectives). We are also at times delusional in thinking that we that us fans have an impact the game as it is played on the court. "BY’ers who appear to be afraid of tougher competition" was the stated opinion. :eek: I didn't even realize that BYers were competing.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
"BY’ers who appear to be afraid of tougher competition" was the stated opinion. :eek: I didn't even realize that BYers were competing.
To be fair, the OP was commenting on how fans are fretting over So Carolina’s strong roster and how hard it would be to win. I don’t believe this thread was about players fearing strong opponents but the fans.

Reaction Score
I hope uconn will play vs SC Louisville ucla Stanford Maryland it's gonna be fun win or lose we don't care...but cause the big east weakness...

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
On paper, I think UConn, South Carolina, and Stanford have the most talent and are the best teams. Maybe Maryland is next. When I look at the first 3, I see parity--parity at the top. There are other very good teams out there, though Baylor and Louisville, for example, lost key players. Geno welcomes the competition, of course. I would prefer that we have the most talent and dominate everyone, but that is not the case and we will have some competition, especially from the top 5-10. Whether we win the championship or not, I think these are clear: we will have an excellent team; we will be immensely fun to watch; we will still dominate the Big East; we should be a favorite for the Final Four; we should win well over 30 games; and multiple players will garner post-season recognition. Sounds like an exciting season to me!
I wonder how many All-America candidates will emerge. And who.

Reaction Score
Many UConn fans seem to believe that all the best players should always go to UConn. There was a time when this seemed to be true. Those fans want the best players so that UConn could continue to dominate WCBB like they have done in the past. They seem to believe that their chances of winning the NCAA Championship is tied to having a loaded roster. Well if Geno is the best coach in WCBB why does he need the best players in college basketball to win the Nattie?
Last I looked, recruiting was a major part of every coaching job. What a silly argument! Maybe you should ask Federer to use a wooden racket, after all, if he’s really such a great player, why should he use high tech equipment? Let’s ask Lebron to play in converse canvas shoes, Tom Brady to use the old leather helmets. The point is that Geno didn’t always have the best players, he earned the respect that allows him to acquire all these great players by being a great coach. He didn’t suddenly have the best players! He showed that he was a great coach first and the rest all flowed from that. I’m reasonably sure all the athletes referenced above would all still be among the very best even with old, low tech equipment. But only if everyone played with old stuff as well. The truth is, our chances of winning are tied to having a loaded roster! How is that an indictment of Geno’s coaching abilities when it is through his excellence as a coach that he is able to build a “loaded roster”? I suggest you look up the famous quote by Damon Runyon, “The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that’s the way to bet!

Reaction Score
Oldude, that was a very well-written post.

Boneyarders seem to have forgotten that UConn has gone up against some great teams since the 1995 National Championship milestone. For example (apologies to any I have omitted):

• The "Meek"-led teams and the Candace Parker teams of Tennessee
  • The Notre Dame teams with Ruth Riley, Niele Ivey, Alicia Ratay, Kayla McBride, Natalie Achonwa, and Skylar Diggins
  • Baylor's Brittney Griner and Odyssey Sims
  • Maryland with Laura Harper, Kristi Tolliver, Alyssa Thomas, and Crystal Langhorne
  • The Duke team that beat UConn in the 2006 NCAA tournament
  • The Stanford teams that have snapped several of UConn's winning streaks

SC's team-building is no different. But I daresay that the present UConn players are no more afraid of next year's competition than beloved past Huskies were.

So why should we be?!? Go Huskies!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I wonder how many All-America candidates will emerge. And who.

Good question! ESPN/Creme has Paige at #3, Christyn at #11, and Azzi at #23.

I have Paige at #1. She won't be worse next year!!

I think Squeaks was underrated based on her play the last half of the season. If she is focused and aggressive, combining her newfound defense and attacking the basket, she can be top 5.

Azzi can be really, really good. I've had the fortune of seeing her in person. If you liked Paige's shooting and Clark's shooting, you'll love Azzi's shooting. Plus she does a lot more than score.

Evina is an excellent all-around player. I hope she is healthy enough.

Then there's the physically dominant player I affectionately call Thor. Liya was one of the tops in the nation in shooting percentage, tough on the boards, and a solid defender. Don't ignore Thor!

1619908800870.png

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

I think Squeaks was underrated based on her play the last half of the season. If she is focused and aggressive, combining her newfound defense and attacking the basket, she can be top 5.

Azzi can be really, really good. I've had the fortune of seeing her in person. If you liked Paige's shooting and Clark's shooting, you'll love Azzi's shooting. Plus she does a lot more than score.

Then there's the physically dominant player I affectionately call Thor. Liya was one of the tops in the nation in shooting percentage, tough on the boards, and a solid defender. Don't ignore Thor!

View attachment 67198
I really like your nickname for Aaliyah. When she’s thundering down the wing on a fast break you can almost envision her swinging Mjolnir in her right hand.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score

She_thor.jpg

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
To be fair, the OP was commenting on how fans are fretting over So Carolina’s strong roster and how hard it would be to win. I don’t believe this thread was about players fearing strong opponents but the fans.

The boards of other top programs also fret when teams like UConn pick up players like Bueckers and Fudd. Even Patterson brought out some of that angst. Not sure why this is breaking news.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The boards of other top programs also fret when teams like UConn pick up players like Bueckers and Fudd. Even Patterson brought out some of that angst. Not sure why this is breaking news.
It breaking news because some BY are determine to lower the bar and are well content to only make it to a FF, don't think that "our girls" can handle competition-=no transfers in, and are OK losing tournaments games where UCONN WBB is favored by double digits. Some are even now suggesting that it is OK to lose two or three games per year. I suggesting it is not and that Louisville, ND or MD WBB is probably more in line with these low expectations.

Reaction Score
They seem to believe that their chances of winning the NCAA Championship is tied to having a loaded roster. Well if Geno is the best coach in WCBB why does he need the best players in college basketball to win the Nattie?
Not sure what "loaded" means in terms of your post. Overall the word "loaded roster" is subjective and also dependent upon the opposition having a "loaded" roster too. Is a roster "loaded" if you don't have adequate post support or guard support etc?

Should Bird and Magic have won more titles? Maybe. But the problem was that they were competing against "other loaded rosters." i.e. competing against each other and the great Philly team. In other words - suppose another team has a roster that's "more loaded" than yours?

As for the fans, we're all doing harmless speculation. Unless are you driving towards something else? But what fan wants to see any weakness on their team?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I hope uconn will play vs SC Louisville ucla Stanford Maryland it's gonna be fun win or lose we don't care...but cause the big east weakness...
If you don't care if we win or lose when UCONN plays SC, Louisville, UCLA, Stanford, Maryland why play at all? Maybe we shouldn't keep score.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
What Maryland needs is to learn to play defense.
At the time, I thought Brenda was wise to take a team of offensively minded players and run with it. Now I'm not so sure, and I think she should listen to something Geno's said many times: If we play great defense the offense will take care of itself.

I'm with all the others who have said, we've been clamoring for parity, and I'm glad there are so many good teams out there. I still think it's UConn, then a few teams, then everyone else. But not by so much as it was a week or two ago.

Reaction Score
I have always enjoyed the wit and wisdom of the BY. But I must say in recent days I am perplexed by some BY’ers who appear to be afraid of tougher competition from teams like SC, Stanford, MD and others, who are loading up already talented rosters with top recruiting classes as well as talented transfers.

A few years back Geno made significant changes to his recruiting strategy seeking commitments from top HS players earlier, returning to the overseas market for talented European players and bringing in key transfers. As a result, UConn will field perhaps the deepest and most talented roster in their history next year.

Other teams are not required to simply cede national championships to UConn. Dawn is the national team coach and a fierce competitor who’s been so close to a second national championship that she can taste it. She’s proven herself to be a relentless recruiter in the past few years and she will go after any player she believes will help SC win a championship.

Tara has also upped her recruiting efforts. Always a great coach, she has built a versatile and deep roster that finally got Stanford back to the promised land after a 29 year absence, and there is every indication that the Cardinal will challenge for additional championships for many years to come.

Brenda too is anxious to return MD to the championship podium. She has put together an enormously talented team of top recruits and transfers, all of whom will be back next year seeking redemption for their early exit from this year’s tournament.

In the years to come we can expect Kim to build another powerhouse at LSU, Kelly Graves to continue his efforts to bring a championship to Oregon and Vic Schaefer’s TX team to take over the dominance of the Big 12 in recruiting rich TX as a springboard to a national championship run.

An overwhelmingly dominant UConn team is in fact bad for WBB. Great competition between great teams and coaches, like we will see over the next few seasons will be absolutely great for WBB. I am certain that neither Geno or his players are afraid of that challenge.

There is no reason for UConn fans to be afraid, but rather, we should all embrace the competition ahead. We will all witness some epic games. Personally, I will still put my money on UConn and the short Italian guy.
Absolutely... if Azzi is the player we thought she was UConn is still the team to beat.

Reaction Score
I haven't read through every comment so I apologize in advance if this steps on amy toes. The way UConn plays is beautiful, and its absolutely the peak of what basketball should be (Geno teaches that aspect). Teams are catching up nowadays, and so are the coaching styles. Every dog has their day. I see this thread and I'm glad the fans are so animated, because that's what's make WBB so fun. I believe the players are making it better.

Go whoever you want,
I hope the womens game continues to grow!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom