Afraid of Competition? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Afraid of Competition?

Reaction Score
I really like your nickname for Aaliyah. When she’s thundering down the wing on a fast break you can almost envision her swinging Mjolnir in her right hand.
I know Azzi is coming in as a freshman but I can't imagine her being rated lower than Williams .... her shooting skills far, far exceed the soon to be senior and everything about her suggests that she's more consistent than is Christyn who has moments where she plays extraordinarily well and then more than a bit haphazardly .... something you wouldn't expect from a seasoned player

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
We have to schedule the best teams possible. Reading other forums, these fans are obsessed with us, forever shouting that we are a down program, on our way out. These are programs that have had limited success, or even worse, no success in the last 5-10 years. If we are on our way out, why are they still talking about us, why do they even mention us? Why, because at times they troll us, and listen to us. We are so spoiled for being , not only the best, but the best there ever was.
It doesn't matter who they have, or who coaches them, or what conference they play in. WE are the best ever, and we need to set them straight. WE are NOT going away, WE are NOT slowing down, and WE are NOT afraid of anyone. Lets schedule everyone who thinks that they can replace us, lets beat them all. I know Stanford is good, South Carolina and Baylor too. There are other upstarts out there who want to challenge. Well, here we are, come get us. WE are NOT afraid of anyone, so lets do it. Bring them on, come dance with the devil, you know where to find us. ( Didn't sleep much last night)

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
A reminder to all - scheduling is a two way street. Both schools have to agree. That has not always been the case with top ranked opponents.
Absolutely true, but if some of these newer higher ranking teams want to play with the big boys, come ask for a home and home. Don't be afraid, I'm sure Geno would oblige.

Reaction Score
Geno does the best he can with scheduling given the conference we are in, but ideally it would be reversed for us. The conference games would be like an extended camp to work out the bugs, get new players acclimated to each other and the system, and then take on the tough OOC opponents to prepare for the tournament near the end. We can't do it that way, wind up with the big challenges early, usually using a shorter roster with the more proven experienced players. The newcomers sometimes have to prove themselves in mop-up minutes in conference, then perhaps part of the rotation, with the hope that when playing against a top team in the tournament they will be ready. It is what it is.

One way a loaded roster can compensate for the timing of the schedule is internally. Liv for example didn't have a true C to go against in practice her first two years. This year she had a good sized and physical PF in Aaliyah, which probably helped some, and a true C in size and athletic ability in Piath. I admit it didn't seem to make much difference but it should have. This upcoming season she will get to go against an all P5 conference big in Dorka, and the top ranked incoming C in her class in Amari. After the early tough OOC games that is where improvement against quality teams and players will come from for all those players, in practice.

As for winning and losing out on top recruits or transfers, Uconn has achieved a level where I am only concerned about a limited number of teams nationally. When we lose one to a good but not great team (like if Cardoso had gone to say Texas) it doesn't hurt much. When that loss is to a team near our level (like SC) it hurts a great deal more. Those kind of decisions change the balance of power at the very top. Recruiting top 10 talents is a high stakes game, your victories are usually big losses to your most feared opponents and visa versa. Sometimes you win, like lately, and some years you lose a key target to your biggest competitors like Boston at SC or Jones at Stanford. So enjoy it while it lasts. The last two recruiting classes and the next one pretty much assure we will be at or very near the top for a few years, but maybe a SC or somebody else will be right there with us.

Reaction Score
Surprised anyone would even comment about "being afraid of competition." Most Boneyard fans are very knowledgeable in women's basketball and understand there are multiple teams next year that can win the championship. Each of the top teams have 1-2 holes with UConn missing a dominate defensive guard and offensive center. I personally enjoyed the Stewie teams where every box was checked-defense, offense, height, speed, etc. Would not bother me a bit to have another undefeated season.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Hey UConn is loaded. Really loaded. Who would your rather have Cardoso or Fudd. I'll take Fudd. We have the best backcourt in WCBB with depth we have 6'5 6'5 6'5 6'4 and we have depth at every position and lets not forget Dorka and Edwards to bigs down low that are stong . Yeah we're really good. Where does all the scoring come from? The perimeter not down low. Bigs tend to get in foul trouble more then perimeter players. I dont think some of you who are abscessed with height see that. UConn is really really good. Top teams are gonna have a tuff time stopping UConns scoring. All the great UConn teams were led by great guards. UConn is there again.

Reaction Score
I'd rather have Fudd AND Cardoso. OUR scoring doesn't come from down low because we don't have those types of players, but I expect that to improve with AE's maturation and the addition of DJ. It would have improved further with Cardoso.

But it didn't happen, and I'm quite happy with who we're going to battle with next season. Looking forward to the overall maturation process unfolding on the hardwood and the improvements to be seen.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I really was stunned by the way this team wasn't ready for the challenge of the Final Four this year. Let's hope they learned from the loss and get the new players up to speed in a hurry. The OP is correct, many fans out there disappointed that the NC isn't just being dropped in the Husky's laps. The one that got me the one that said Cardoso not coming to UConn is "on Geno."

Reaction Score
I haven't read through every comment so I apologize in advance if this steps on amy toes. The way UConn plays is beautiful, and its absolutely the peak of what basketball should be (Geno teaches that aspect). Teams are catching up nowadays, and so are the coaching styles. Every dog has their day. I see this thread and I'm glad the fans are so animated, because that's what's make WBB so fun. I believe the players are making it better.

Go whoever you want,
I hope the womens game continues to grow!!!
I'm not arguing but I'm not so certain about the part above in bold vs comparing the past.

Looking at the past - with UCONN's 11 championships were led by Lobo/Rizz/Wolters, Bird/Sveta/Shea, Bird/DT/Swin, DT with JM among others (but still an upper-class player in DT), Maya/Monty/Tina, then Stewie with her great teammates. What team in the past 3 has been at this level?

Is it that the others "caught up" or is that UCONN hasn't been as loaded?

Because looking back other than the latter DT years from top to bottom these championship teams were far superior to this year's team and the past 2. And all but the 2 DT years, the titles teams were just better than the teams of 4 and 5 years ago (16-17 and 17-18), and nearly all the title teams had some tough game(s) in order to get by too.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I really was stunned by the way this team wasn't ready for the challenge of the Final Four this year. Let's hope they learned from the loss and get the new players up to speed in a hurry. The OP is correct, many fans out there disappointed that the NC isn't just being dropped in the Husky's laps. The one that got me the one that said Cardoso not coming to UConn is "on Geno."
The expectation is not that a championship should be dropped into our laps, the expectation is that the UCONN players (who are very capable) will rise to the occasion and secure another championship. Nearly all the players have stated this as part of their expectation for coming to UCONN-to play in big games and win championships.

Reaction Score
Very, very young team last season.
I expect them to be much more “seasoned” this coming trip.

Reaction Score
At the time, I thought Brenda was wise to take a team of offensively minded players and run with it. Now I'm not so sure, and I think she should listen to something Geno's said many times: If we play great defense the offense will take care of itself.

I'm with all the others who have said, we've been clamoring for parity, and I'm glad there are so many good teams out there. I still think it's UConn, then a few teams, then everyone else. But not by so much as it was a week or two ago.
Geno has said that many times but he also teaches great offense, he teaches movement without the ball, he values players that can pass, especially a big from the high post. He recruits offensive players then gets them to buy into playing defense at this level to win NC's. That is why he is the MASTER

Reaction Score
Hey UConn is loaded. Really loaded. Who would your rather have Cardoso or Fudd.
If I was forced to choose just 1, I would much rather have Cardoso - she would give UConn better odds to win a Title. Can't teach an athletic 6'7" who already is great defensively & can score 15+ a night. She would have the greatest "impact" - even though Azzi might have comparable or better stats.

Reaction Score
Hey UConn is loaded. Really loaded. Who would your rather have Cardoso or Fudd. I'll take Fudd. We have the best backcourt in WCBB with depth we have 6'5 6'5 6'5 6'4 and we have depth at every position and lets not forget Dorka and Edwards to bigs down low that are stong . Yeah we're really good. Where does all the scoring come from? The perimeter not down low. Bigs tend to get in foul trouble more then perimeter players. I dont think some of you who are abscessed with height see that. UConn is really really good. Top teams are gonna have a tuff time stopping UConns scoring. All the great UConn teams were led by great guards. UConn is there again.

This post seems rather rose colored. Why is the comparison Cardoso vs Fudd? Fudd is an unproven freshman coming off a major injury. Who knows what she will do? If you want to compare rosters and incoming roster changes make it apples to apples. Compare incoming freshmen to incoming freshmen. Compare transfers to transfers. You have three teams that are really close if it was me 1. Stanford 2. SC 3. Uconn. Really the teams are not separate by much, but none is heads and shoulder better than the other.

Reaction Score
This post seems rather rose colored. Why is the comparison Cardoso vs Fudd? Fudd is an unproven freshman coming off a major injury. Who knows what she will do? If you want to compare rosters and incoming roster changes make it apples to apples. Compare incoming freshmen to incoming freshmen. Compare transfers to transfers. You have three teams that are really close if it was me 1. Stanford 2. SC 3. Uconn. Really the teams are not separate by much, but none is heads and shoulder better than the other.
Stanford/SC/Uconn are clearly 1..2..3.. the order is irrelevant..Pencil all three in the final 4 in 2022...and maybe NCST...and let em fight it out!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Very, very young team last season.
I expect them to be much more “seasoned” this coming trip.
So do I. But it's not a given. Not too many Husky teams were punched in the mouth like they were in that last game. We need to see how they respond.

Reaction Score
If I was forced to choose just 1, I would much rather have Cardoso - she would give UConn better odds to win a Title. Can't teach an athletic 6'7" who already is great defensively & can score 15+ a night. She would have the greatest "impact" - even though Azzi might have comparable or better stats.
Is this for next season or college career? for college career I would take Azzi and feel pretty confident with that.

Reaction Score
So do I. But it's not a given. Not too many Husky teams were punched in the mouth like they were in that last game. We need to see how they respond.

What is ever a given?

It's amazing when you lose to a team that you are better than we can use the expression "Not too many Husky teams were punched in the mouth like they were in that last game," but yet after every loss vs an inferior team that isn't elite- isn't this what exactly has happened?

For example, the game vs Ark - UCONN got punched in the mouth too.

But that's the point of having a young team vs a team experienced with multiple A/A's. Those teams with multiple A/A's don't allow lesser teams to punch them in the mouth. That's why all the Final Fours are so amazing.

And without multiple A/A's UCONN is more apt to get punched in the mouth especially if their superstar is a frosh. And that's why it's lunacy for anyone to be go nuts that they haven't won titles in the last 2-3 years because they haven't had the m7ultilpe All-American support that they had prior years. Three years ago they had 2 - but imo KLS was no longer the efficient scorer that she was in prior years among the flaws also of being too small and no all-american guard play.

That's on Geno for his lack of success recruiting for several years.

**Though to be fair UCONN's fate might be completely different if Stevens stayed or if Camara was healthy in 18-19, or if a devastating hurricane didn't pound Texas in which in essence UCONN "traded" Collier for Liv for 19-20 and 20-21. We'd have probably been more successful this year if the overall number 1 WNBA pick had bene able to keep her verbal at UCONN, right? Though I don't blame her one iota (or any kid for that matter) for it. OS we lose the number 1 post player but automatically we're supposed ot be invincible anyways? And let's throw in Meg Walker leaving too. I know on here some don't like her which to me is mind-boggling but that is for another day.

We would've been "punched in the mouth" a lot less under the above circumstances. But anyhow, young teams with only a frosh leading them as the sole A/A - are probably going to get punched in the mouth. Talk tough all you want but it won't change that reality.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That’s because losses are few and far between.
New experience for major players- and one starter out due to injury.
Lost by 10 points.
I will not get in to particular performances.
A loss , no doubt.
But hardly a shellacking.
Winners rebound (pun intended).
I believe they are winners and will come back with a vengeance.

Reaction Score
I'm not arguing but I'm not so certain about the part above in bold vs comparing the past.

Looking at the past - with UCONN's 11 championships were led by Lobo/Rizz/Wolters, Bird/Sveta/Shea, Bird/DT/Swin, DT with JM among others (but still an upper-class player in DT), Maya/Monty/Tina, then Stewie with her great teammates. What team in the past 3 has been at this level?

Is it that the others "caught up" or is that UCONN hasn't been as loaded?

Because looking back other than the latter DT years from top to bottom these championship teams were far superior to this year's team and the past 2. And all but the 2 DT years, the titles teams were just better than the teams of 4 and 5 years ago (16-17 and 17-18), and nearly all the title teams had some tough game(s) in order to get by too.
I agree with this. This is why I continue to say that Geno is the master of this sport, and the sport still revolves around his program for the most part.
Here we are 26yrs after his first NC title and he is coming off his 13th straight FF which is a record that will live for decades, if ever broken. He is going into another season as a favorite to win his 12th NC but certainly a 14th straight year in the FF. There are only 2 other teams in the country constructed to stop this from happening.
He has elite recruiting classes coming in the next two years to keep this ball rolling. He is outlasted some bitter rivals(Tenn-Rutgers-Notre Dame) he pushed back against a new wave of competitors(Louisville-Baylor) He now has to contend with a new power challenger in So Carolina... what about Stanford? who knows? Geno ran past Tara many years ago, she is forever in the rear view mirror, to go 29yrs in between titles says something.

When UConn has top level talent, some of the best in the sport they win NC's and usually multiple titles. Could you fathom Geno going almost 30yrs without a title?

Reaction Score
I know Azzi is coming in as a freshman but I can't imagine her being rated lower than Williams .... her shooting skills far, far exceed the soon to be senior and everything about her suggests that she's more consistent than is Christyn who has moments where she plays extraordinarily well and then more than a bit haphazardly .... something you wouldn't expect from a seasoned player
IMO William's advantage is at the defensive end. She has improved a lot on that end, which Geno loves. If Azzi doesnt start, I dont think its Christyn's spot that would be taken away, I think its Evina's.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Stanford/SC/Uconn are clearly 1..2..3.. the order is irrelevant..Pencil all three in the final 4 in 2022...and maybe NCST...and let em fight it out!
The order is not irrelevant when it comes to winning a championship. The number 3 team would have to beat both the #2 and #1 team assuming the bracket hold up. In WCBB the brackets often do hold up.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That’s because losses are few and far between.
New experience for major players- and one starter out due to injury.
Lost by 10 points.
I will not get in to particular performances.
A loss , no doubt.
But hardly a shellacking.
Winners rebound (pun intended).
I believe they are winners and will come back with a vengeance.
Arizona led wire to wire and UCONN was favored to win by 13 points. It was a beat down complete with a middle finger and no apology from the Arizona coach to top it off. UCONN was supposed to comeback with a vengeance after Mississippi State also. BTW UCONN did not have a starter out. Nika played more than half the game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Christyn does have the ability to slash it to the hole, and takes it when she see’s it.
Keeps the opposition straight, and sometimes catches them lazy.
She’s a great tool on offense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom