Adamec: Stevens impresses in Huskies exhibition opener | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Adamec: Stevens impresses in Huskies exhibition opener

Reaction Score
That's the main point. With Z, Kia moves from 2 to 1, Lou from 3 to 2, and Z fits in somewhere (the 5?--sort of...) making Gabby and Pheesa move accordingly--unless Z is a 3. The mind spins

Geno is saying is that RIGHT NOW it takes them out of their comfort zone. Clearly, what Geno is doing is bringing Z in after the game has some rhythm in hopes that the rest of them can make those moves. Game-by-game, they will get more used to it. So, the "Z team" will gradually share time and be a real alternative to the "Crystal team."

I just want to add bags I am not arguing with you. I 100% understand "early on it's the Danger team." But I'd like to ask you the same questions I asked coco--

Do you think they will get very, very, very comfortable by the end of the year with the "Z Team" as they work through their "new challenge?"

How many players do you think will get 1st team a/a for UCONN this year? By 1st team I mean top ten. Not the top 5.

Can you foresee AZ being the best or 2nd best player on this team this year?

Reaction Score
So if Z starts, who doesn’t? Geno is raving about how much better Crystal Dangerfield is as a PG than Kiah. Does Kiah become the non-starter?

And yet Geno was also raving about AZ wasn't he? He's pretty giddy about her below with his postgame. He seems to be acknowledging she will probably be great, doesn't he?

Geno Auriemma Talks About Azura Stevens Performance

ANd the questions I asked coco and bags-- can you answer? IMO there is no right or wrong.

Do you think they will get very, very, very comfortable by the end of the year with the "Z Team" as they work through their "new challenge?"

How many players do you think will get 1st team a/a for UCONN this year? By 1st team I mean top ten. Not the top 5.

I just want to add right now-- I'm giddy. We have a super super super 6 right now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would be suprised if Azura isnt starting by the end of the OOC schedule. Mississippi State Uconned Uconn in 1st quarter because of rebounding and Hustle!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Okay. Got a couple of questions. There is no right or wrong. Just curious.
Do you think they will get very, very, very comfortable by the end of the year as they work through their "new challenge?"
-I think by mid season, if not before, UCONN will be very comfortable at making the other teams very uncomfortable.
-A minimum of 3 UCONN players should make everybody top 10 at the end of this season and I think that numbers should be 4-but it can't be by the current rules. Keep in mind that there are other awards to win also. Gabby could repeat as National Defensive POY and Crystal could win Liberman Award as best PG in the country.
-I already think that Azura is the best player on this team.

Reaction Score
HH Az is the most talented on the team and imo the country! Now we have to see how she fits in with the team. Being comfortable imo for right now may meen How do 3 AAs and a Olympian feel about a player who can end up ahead of the core 4 because she is so talented. They took ownership of the team last year and did a great job with it but Z is a RS Junior in the same class as Pheesa and Lou and the core 4 know how good Z is. Its not like she is a freshmen like Megan and is brand new to this level of basketball. She averaged 19 and 9 at Duke and the 3 AAs from last year in the back of their mind know if Azura has the season she is capable one of them wont be AA. Im with you she will be a starter eventually and I thought it should be right away but Geno and CD see something that is better for now.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
"Just being able to play here is fun whether I start or not."

Too bad we can't tweet this to potential recruits!

Very true Bags. But in order for them to appreciate those sentiments, they first would have to walk a mile in her shoes.
Since they can't, it won't mean much to them, they can't/won't relate to it. If only those potential recruits could glean from the wisdom of those that have gone before them. :rolleyes:

Carnac

Reaction Score
That's the main point. With Z, Kia moves from 2 to 1, Lou from 3 to 2, and Z fits in somewhere (the 5?--sort of...) making Gabby and Pheesa move accordingly--unless Z is a 3. The mind spins

Geno is saying is that RIGHT NOW it takes them out of their comfort zone. Clearly, what Geno is doing is bringing Z in after the game has some rhythm in hopes that the rest of them can make those moves. Game-by-game, they will get more used to it. So, the "Z team" will gradually share time and be a real alternative to the "Crystal team."

Bags, you just nailed it. Good explanation too. The "Crystal" team, and the "Z" team. They are going to BOTH be in the game at the same time a lot this year.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Ironic you go by "coach". :rolleyes:

Actually, from what I read, this was not a solution he arrived at on pure theoretical grounds. He said he tried it the other way and it just did not fit correctly and some modifications are needed to the offense to facilitate the changes when she comes off the bench.

Guaranteed she will not average 16 minutes this season.

First World Problems. :D:D:D:D:D:D

You're right. She'll probable average "starter's" minutes....... 23-28 mpg :D

Reaction Score

Except that is not what he did last night. To the best of my recollection, Danger was on the court in the first half whenever Z was. I don’t think Kia played the point until early in the fourth and only briefly until Lexi was brought in. When she did play the point, It was with the Sophs and Frosh.

It is entirely possible that your scenario will unfold as the season progresses, but for now it appears that Z will be used as a 1-2-3 rotation until they are more comfortable with the new offensive sets being worked on in practice.

Reaction Score
-I think by mid season, if not before, UCONN will be very comfortable at making the other teams very uncomfortable.
-A minimum of 3 UCONN players should make everybody top 10 at the end of this season and I think that numbers should be 4-but it can't be by the current rules. Keep in mind that there are other awards to win also. Gabby could repeat as National Defensive POY and Crystal could win Liberman Award as best PG in the country.
-I already think that Azura is the best player on this team.

That's a lot of talent to be coming in off the bench. I just feel it's too much. Which is why I eventually believe she is going to take the starting spot.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Lou is a better player.

Gabby is improved.

Crystal is a different person.

Azura is a match-up nightmare who adds a lot.

Napheesa quietly kills the other team in multiple ways.

Oh, by the way, Kia Nurse was our leading scorer. Remember her??

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Crystal Dangerfield was brought to UCONN for one reason, to be Moriah's replacement as the floor general, for the life of me don't know why anyone thought this would play out any differently. That has been the team vision from day one... She is the most gifted at her position on the offensive end and now with the freshman learning curve behind her, there is less second-guessing going through her mind as with any freshman that goes through this program.

Z will probably start at some point throughout this season, but that may be more likely to do with matching up against a specific team, than "her being too good to come off the bench" This team has 6-7 extremely talented and somewhat experienced players with 4 of them being equally dynamic ( Napheesa, Gabby, Katie-Lou and Azurá ) and 2 of the remaining 3 currently knocking on that door. To label Z as the most talented player on this team, as some have already suggested, is an insult to any of the other 3 All Americans in my opinion.

This could be a year where both Kia and Crystal's scoring could increase by a significant amount, it is safe to say you can expect those two to see more open shots as a result of defenses trying to stop the tandem of the Dynamic 4.

One final comment, out of the freshman play in the first game, I was most impressed with Andra's intensity on defense and apparent confidence to take her shots even though she missed them.. She may well be the next Kia Nurse. Will be interesting to see how many minutes she can steal this year on this team. This is going to be so much fun to watch.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Geno's choice of words of slotting Crystal because it was easy makes perfect sense. From team chemistry standpoint, Crystal knows our Core 4, to borrow the phrase, and has played many minutes with them. She has had a year of practice with them. She knows were they like the ball, how they move and can anticipate it all.

With Z you change the chemistry. Who passes to who, were players move on the floor and the like needs to be worked out. This takes time. They have only been practicing for about a month. Z changes the look of the team, both defensively and offensively. That's a great thing! We saw snippets Wednesday night of what is to come with the pick and roll between Z and Crystal. That play will be unstoppable the entire season. I expect Z and Crystal will have many minutes on the ourt at the same time.

We now have the potential for 6 players to score in double figures each night. No other team in WCBB can come close to that.

Not to worry about who starts. We have 6 legit starters who will get plenty of playing time to the consternation of our opponents.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Z will probably start at some point throughout this season, but that may be more likely to do with matching up against a specific team, than "her being too good to come off the bench" This team has 6-7 extremely talented and somewhat experienced players with 4 of them being equally dynamic ( Napheesa, Gabby, Katie-Lou and Azurá ) and 2 of the remaining 3 currently knocking on that door. To label Z as the most talented player on this team, as some have already suggested, is an insult to any of the other 3 All Americans in my opinion.
IMO, yea I could see how that could be insulting! Much more politically correct to to call them equal - that sounds sounds way mo better.

Reaction Score
To those that think Z will start at some point this season, who does she replace?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
To those that think Z will start at some point this season, who does she replace?
Given Geno’s comments regarding the comfort level of the Core 4 in the same roles they had last season with Crystal on the floor, clearly Z would not replace Crystal or Kia as a starter.

Lou, as a result of her shooting and overall offensive skills, along with the fact that every team UConn plays starts their game plan figuring out how to defend her, also appears to be off the table when it comes to starting Z.

That leaves Gabby and Pheesa. Gabby does a lot of things on the court that nobody in WBB can do, particularly on defense, so it’s difficult to come up with a rationale to have Z start over Gabby.

Z’s game and role with the Huskies is similar to Pheesa. While one or two BY’ers have suggested that Z will start over Pheesa, I’m not sure how you replace a consensus AA, who will only get better this season.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm not among those who think Azura will start at some point this season. If Azura does start she will not be replacing one of the returning AA so that leaves only Crystal or Kia IMO.
Given Geno’s comments regarding the comfort level of the Core 4 in the same roles they had last season with Crystal on the floor, clearly Z would not replace Crystal or Kia as a starter.
I'm not so sure this is clear. If Azura replaces Kia then KLS could play SG and Crystal PG. If Azura replaces Crystal then Kia can play PG and KLS could play SG.
Not worried about who start Azura will get her minutes. Quality minutes bench in the front court is exactly what UCONN didn't have last year.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm not among those who think Azura will start at some point this season. If Azura does start she will not be replacing one of the returning AA so that leaves only Crystal or Kia IMO.
I'm not so sure this is clear. If Azura replaces Kia then KLS could play SG and Crystal PG. If Azura replaces Crystal then Kia can play PG and KLS could play SG.
Not worried about who start Azura will get her minutes. Minutes in the front court is exactly what UCONN didn't have last year.
I agree that Z will certainly get her minutes, but just going off of Geno's comments, if you replace one of the guards with Z, it forces Pheesa and Gabby in particular, into different roles than last season. While I'm sure that will happen for certain game situations during the season, it appears that Geno is not comfortable with that type of lineup on a regular basis.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The Core 4 are called the Core 4 for a reason. You don't mess with the Core , you build around the Core .

So it's the Core 4 + Dangerfield or the Core 4 + Stevens. You don't remove one of your core.

Good arguments can be made for Core 4 + Dangerfield and good arguments can be made for Core 4 + Stevens. You can't make a good argument for removing one of the Core 4.

Granted at some point this year most likely Dangerfield and Stevens will start together. But that will be due to injury or doghouse.

For those that thought Stevens would start over Dangerfield, (and it still could happen, eh, maybe) be happy that Dangerfield is good enough this year to make that NOT happen. This is a good thing. We all knew Stevens was going to be really, really good. Geno said Stevens was going to be really, really good. We didn't know how big a sophomore jump Dangerfield would make. Looks like a really really big one. Again, this is a good thing.

Reaction Score
I think Crystal stays as a starter and Geno gradually works in Coombs as her back up in case of foul trouble or to give her a rest. Z comes off the bench to give the other 4 some rest or foul trouble relief, so she gets 8 minutes while Gabby rests, 8 minutes while KLS rests, 8 minutes while Collier rests, 8 minutes while Kia rests and KLS moves to the 2. Oh wait, that is 32 minutes, a little too high. So that gives some time to Megan, and Bat girl (do we already have a nickname for her???) when she returns. And if last year's core four really get 28 minutes, not 32, that opens up some more minutes for the others. So if Z winds up with the same minutes as the starters, I don't think she minds not starting for this year. Which also encourages her to come back for next year to be a starter. Kind of like what happened Wednesday. Z came in during the first quarter, 5 minutes in. Last year Geno would let the starters play into the second quarter. I don't see that happening as much this year. But I could see Geno swapping roles for Gabby and Z and letting Gabby get her 28 minutes coming off the bench. Let Gabby play the 2, 3, 4 and 5 to show the WNBA how versatile she is.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Time will tell. If Crystal starts on Saturday, then I think that she will remain the starter for the season, barring injury. Z seems to be very comfortable coming off the bench, as she has said. Z will get her minutes so not to worry.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Bat girl (do we already have a nickname for her???) when she returns.
I like "BatCam" which I am plagiarizing from another BY'er.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Z is a pretty unique weapon. Did you see how she filled up her stat line starting 15 minutes in to the game? And from her side of it: I don't start, but when I run out there I play with 4 - count em 4 - of the very best in the same jersey.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
What did you make of the following?

"By the end of the season it's going to look really, really good. Just in the beginning it won't be that easy."

If they didn't change right now with Danger starting, what do you make of "it won't be that easy?" He has 4 of the same starters at this moment, right? The 5th starter, a pg, made it easy, right? What do you think he is referring to that in the beginning it won't be that easy but by the end it is going to be really, really good? What do you think he is referring to?

I do think Z will be starting by the end. She is "too good." Nothing has changed that. But we do have a super 6, don't we? And I expect Walker and Boutaly to be good. Just two years ago there was a debate who'd start Gabby, or Lou or Collier. Who was "right" at the beginning was a lot different than who was "right" at the end. However in the end it doesn't matter. Our UCONN team -- six of them - are elite. And I think we all believe we're going to have a few more that are going to be really, really good.
To answer your question - not 100% sure what Geno meant by "it won't be that easy" since he didn't really elaborate, but given our offense sputtered at times in the first game, I suspect he's talking about meshing new parts. As great as Crystal has played, she's not Saniya. She's shorter, has a smaller reach, sees the floor differently than Saniya, and delivers the ball differently to the players. Then he has brand new players off the bench. Azura, Megan, Batouly (once healthy), and Mikalya will probably be off the bench in that order (unless you switch Batouly with Megan), and then where does Kyla and Molly fit into that depth chart? It won't be easy to figure out the rotations, who plays best, who looks best with others, and also the genetics of the opponent.

A few thoughts. Just like some notions were bandied about this summer regarding starting Crystal and Azura, and then bringing Gabby off the bench (was NEVER going to happen), unless Crystal suddenly stops playing well, or sees a dip in how she runs the team, NO WAY does Geno sit her midway thru the season to start Azura instead.

That would damage Crystal's confidence, and force Geno mid-season to do just what he said he did not want to do (make everyone else on the floor play out of positions where they are not only comfortable, but free to do what they do best). He raved about Crystal all October, and after the 1st exhibition game.

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion. Unless there is an injury or Crystal suddenly regresses back to her high school days, there is zero chance Azura starts this season. IMHO...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think Crystal stays as a starter and Geno gradually works in Coombs as her back up in case of foul trouble or to give her a rest. Z comes off the bench to give the other 4 some rest or foul trouble relief, so she gets 8 minutes while Gabby rests, 8 minutes while KLS rests, 8 minutes while Collier rests, 8 minutes while Kia rests and KLS moves to the 2. Oh wait, that is 32 minutes, a little too high. So that gives some time to Megan, and Bat girl (do we already have a nickname for her???) when she returns. And if last year's core four really get 28 minutes, not 32, that opens up some more minutes for the others. So if Z winds up with the same minutes as the starters, I don't think she minds not starting for this year. Which also encourages her to come back for next year to be a starter. Kind of like what happened Wednesday. Z came in during the first quarter, 5 minutes in. Last year Geno would let the starters play into the second quarter. I don't see that happening as much this year. But I could see Geno swapping roles for Gabby and Z and letting Gabby get her 28 minutes coming off the bench. Let Gabby play the 2, 3, 4 and 5 to show the WNBA how versatile she is.
Liked your post a lot. It's something that I agree with and have mentioned before, but it's really never been discussed on the BY to my recollection.

Currently, Geno does not have a PG recruited coming in any time soon. If we land Williams, she's not a PG, nor is it likely she would be converted to one. She's definitely a combo guard / shooting guard / 2. However, for some reason I thought I recalled reading she has good PG instincts, and has played that position well when needed. I can't find the articles so maybe I'm misremembering, but it would be logical to groom her as Crystal Dangerfield's back up given there is no one else in the next recruiting cycle to play that role... She has all the skills, she's just tentative at this point and lacks confidence in running things the way UCONN runs offense...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom